Tyral, calm down. It's ok.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:11 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Tyral, calm down. It's ok.

Oh, I'm perfectly calm. Just wanted to see if you'd fess up to being a BALDFACED FUCKING LIAR!

I'm totally fucking around.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:12 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

But if I did that, I'd lose my job at Fox News!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:30 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
ooh! A last post game!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:44 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Kula is fucking psycho. This has been known for many moons. Though, yes, sometimes it is fun to goad the crazy man on the subway, usually we stay away from them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:25 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

You're like 20 posts late Bzalthek and as usual have nothing substantive to add to the discussion. Oh by the way, the thread was derailed awhile ago.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:04 PM 
I schooled the old school.

Quote:
In his first 35ish days in office, Obama has kept in place all of the power grab policies of W. That doesn't get him any good will from me. Or any trust. If he made even a single move towards bringing the country back to respecting the rule of law and the constitutional balance of power I might cut him some slack but he hasn't.

He's closing Gitmo. There-- now keep your promise and cut him some slack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:13 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I think that a lot of the people saying that he hasn't changed enough in 35 days would also be freaking out if he started unilaterally dismantling shit without taking the time to take a full accounting of what was implemented over the past decade or so.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:26 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Most likely true. That said, I don't think Obama has illustrated that he is simply taking the time to do proper investigation before acting on some of the issues that he was elected to change.

Considering I voted for the guy, I hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, I hope that he'll address why he's leaving them in place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:32 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

Xantheus Diabolus wrote:
Fiscal responsiblity starts with the government.

you spell it responsibility, and your correct, we have not seen that out of government in the last 20+ years

Xantheus Diabolus wrote:

I don't know what Devil's problem is with liberals or any apparently non-conservative view. Perhaps it's his/her apparent lack of an education that would allow proper spelling and grammar and any sense.

Wow I expected the flame but to go after a guy's grammar & spelling with out knowing him is something that I would have not expected. F.Y.I. I have a Masters Degree in Computers, I also have Dyslexia. But we are not going there.

What I said is that it funny that you attack the writer as being a hack, when he stated nothing but the truth then you attacked me when I pointed that out.

Xantheus Diabolus wrote:

Conservatives say the proper way to stimulate the economy and make things better is to cut taxes. Am I really supposed to believe that the best way to encourage the American people is to reduce the amount of money coming in to the government and increase the budget deficit? What example does this set?

Bobby Jindal himself said last night we need to cut taxes to make things better.

Quote:
That is why Republicans put forward plans to create jobs by lowering income tax rates for working families, cutting taxes for small businesses,

That's right, reduce the amount of money coming into the federal government.

Quote:
Who among us would ask our children for a loan, so we could spend money we do not have, on things we do not need?

Wait, doesn't increasing the budget deficit by reducing the amount of taxes coming in do just that? It has worked so well in Louisiana.

Quote:
In Louisiana, we took a different approach. Since I became governor, we cut more than 250 earmarks from our state budget. And to create jobs for our citizens, we cut taxes six times -- including the largest income tax cut in the history of our state.

And the result of those tax cuts??

Quote:
Louisiana lawmakers grappling with an expected $1.2 billion drop in state tax income next year could get a partial bailout from Washington, but state senators were told Thursday that the federal money won't fill all the gaps.

So they have gone from a budget surplus to a budget deficit. Am I missing where this looks like a brilliant idea? Add to that the fact that Jindal doesn't want to accept the bailout money. This guy is a genius!

Quote:
In 2006, the highest-income 20 percent of Louisiana residents (those with income above $90,000) paid 7.9 percent of their income in state and local taxes, while the bottom 20 percent paid 12.1 percent — an effective tax rate one and a half times as large.

Absolutely brilliant tax plan. Definitely one we should model our federal income tax system around.

I just don't understand how conservatives criticize the bailout because it spends so much money on things, yet they want to cut taxes and reduce the amount of income for the federal government. At least in the case of a bailout we get something for our money in the form of programs whose intention is to create some more jobs. Tax cuts can give more money to the family that is already working and bringing in money, but it really doesn't do that much to create jobs except in the case of significant tax cuts for businesses and mostly large businesses. That's the conservative's view though. Cut taxes for the big businesses and HOPEFULLY they will hire more workers, therefore trickling some of those cuts down to the little guy. That shit does not work.

So If I read this right you saying that tax cuts accost the board don't work because of Louisiana?

here are some other places you should look.
[2] Office of Management and Budget, Historical Tables, Budget of the United States Government, Fiscal Year 2007 (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 2006), pp. 25–26, Table 1.3, at http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy ... f/hist.pdf (January 16, 2007), with final 2006 revenue figures added in.

[3] According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, the 1980s recession ended in fiscal year (FY) 1983 (November 1982), the 1990s recession ended in FY 1991 (March 1991), and the early 2000s recession ended in FY 2002 (November 2001). National Bureau of Economic Research, "US Business Cycle Expansions and Contractions," at http://www.nber.org/cycles.html (January 16, 2007).

[4] See Brian M. Riedl, "Federal Spending: By the Numbers," Heritage Foundation WebMemo No. 989, February 6, 2006, at http://www.heritage.org/Research/Budget/wm989.cfm.

[5] See Congressional Budget Office, "The Budget and Economic Outlook: Fiscal Years 2001–2010," January 2000, p. xvi, Summary Table 2, at http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/18xx/doc1820/e&b0100.pdf (January 16, 2007). The January 2000 baseline pro­jected that 2006 tax revenues would reach $2,465 billion, and they instead reached $2,407 billion. The same baseline projected that 2006 spending would reach $2,140 billion, and it actually totaled $2,654 billion.

[6] See Congressional Budget Office, "An Analysis of the President's Budgetary Proposals for Fiscal Year 2004," March 2003, p. 36, Table 4, at http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/41xx/doc4129 ... -Final.pdf (January 16, 2007). The March 2003 baseline projected that 2006 tax revenues would reach $2,360 billion, and they instead reached $2,407 billion. That same baseline projected that 2006 spending would reach $2,417 billion, and it actually totaled $2,654 billion.

[7] While the March 2001 baseline was the last created before the tax cuts, it does not provide a realistic baseline for measuring subsequent policies. This baseline assumed that the stock market bubble would continue, and the CBO consequently pro­jected that revenues would stay above 20.2 percent of GDP indefinitely, even though that level had been reached only once since World War II. The January 2000 baseline more accurately reflected future economic performance.

[8] See Arthur B. Laffer, "The Laffer Curve: Past, Present, and Future," Heritage Foundation Backgrounder No. 1765, June 1, 2004, at http://www.heritage.org/Research/Taxes/bg1765.cfm.

[9] Edward C. Prescott, "Why Do Americans Work So Much More Than Europeans?" Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Quarterly Review, Vol. 28, No. 1 (July 2004), at http://www.minneapolisfed.org/research/qr/qr2811.pdf (January 16, 2007).

[10]For early projections, see Congressional Budget Office, "An Analysis of the President's Budgetary Proposals for Fiscal Year 2004." For actual figures, see Congressional Budget Office, "The Budget and Economic Outlook: Fiscal Years 2008–2017," January 2007, p. 86, Table 4-3, at http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=7731&sequence=0 (January 25, 2007).

[11] Daniel J. Mitchell, Ph.D., and Stuart M. Butler, Ph.D., "What Is Really Happening to Government Revenues: Long-Run Forecasts Show Sharp Rise in Tax Burden," Heritage Foundation Backgrounder No. 1957,July 28, 2006, at http://www.heritage.org/Research/Taxes/ ... g_1957.pdf. This is based on data from Congressional Budget Office, "The Long-Term Budget Outlook," December 2005, at http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/69xx/doc6982 ... utlook.pdf (January 16, 2007). These baselines do not assume that lawmakers will adjust the AMT threshold. If the Bush tax cuts are made permanent and the AMT is adjusted annually, the CBO's 2050 revenue projections are 19.8 percent of GDP, which is still well above the historical average.

[12] Congressional Budget Office, "The Long-Term Budget Outlook." The CBO's "low tax and intermediate spending" scenario projects that federal spending will reach 37.7 percent of GDP by 2050. Even that may be a large underestimate. See Brian M. Riedl, "Entitlement-Driven Long-Term Budget Substantially Worse Than Previously Projected," Heritage Foundation Backgrounder No. 1897, November 30, 2005, at http://www.heritage.org/Research/Budget ... 6356_1.pdf.

[13] Office of Management and Budget, Historical Tables, pp. 25–26, Table 1.3, and Internal Revenue Service, "U.S. Individual Income Tax: Personal Exemptions and Lowest and Highest Bracket Tax Rates, and Tax Base for Regular Tax, Tax Years 1913– 2005," at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/histaba.pdf (January 16, 2007).

[14] Figures include child credit outlays. Heritage Foundation calculations using Joint Committee on Taxation scores of the Eco­nomic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001, Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003, Working Families Tax Relief Act of 2004, and Tax Increase Prevention and Tax Reconciliation Act of 2005.

[15]See Daniel J. Mitchell, Ph.D., "Lowering Marginal Tax Rates: The Key to Pro-Growth Tax Relief," Heritage Foundation Backgrounder No. 1443, May 22, 2001, at http://www.heritage.org/Research/Taxes/BG1443.cfm.

[16] U.S. Commerce Department, Bureau of Economic Analysis, NIPA Tables, Table 1.1.1, revised December 21, 2006, at http://www.bea.gov/bea/dn/nipaweb/SelectTable.asp (January 16, 2007); Yahoo Finance, "S&P 500 Index," at http://www.finance.yahoo.com/ q/hp?s=%5EGSPC (January 16, 2007); and U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, "Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the Current Employment Statistics survey (National)," at http://www.data.bls.gov/PDQ/servlet/Sur ... ol=latest_
numbers&series_id=CES0000000001&output_view=net_1mth (January 16, 2007).

[17] Scott A. Hodge, "40 Million Filers Pay No Income Taxes, Many Get Generous Refunds," Tax Foundation Fiscal Facts No. 6, June 5, 2003, at http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/207.html (January 16, 2007).

[18] Congressional Budget Office, "Historical Effective Federal Tax Rates: 1979 to 2004," December 2006, at http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdoc.cfm?index=7718&type=1 (January 17, 2007).

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
I don't entirely agree or disagree with that.

I do believe that, as the wealthiest nation in the world, we do owe our citizens fair, equitable and effective health care. That's not a luxury, it just makes sense.

I agree I just don't want to pay for anybody's but my own.

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
As for the last part...I do believe that if you work hard, don't spend completely irresponsibly, and try to make your family's life better that you do deserve to be well off and be able to retire at a decent age.

But all too often that's not even the case, it's almost depressing to look ahead 40 years and see people that worked their ass off all their life and see that they'll probably just have to keep on working because of a shitty economy, or a company ganking their retirement funds, or their place of work cutting their strings a year before they're eligible for full retirement, etc etc.

I agree with that it is very unfortunate , but no where does it say that it's your given right as an American to be able to retire.

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
The whole "work hard" mindset is great...but at the risk of sounding like a bank commercial, if I'm going to work hard I want my employer/government/etc to work hard for me. All too often that's just not the case.

Agree they all need to work hard too.

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
It's no wonder we as a nation have become very individualistic and selfish...there's this feeling that you almost HAVE to be in order to survive.

I also agree with this, I bust my ass to save and get a 30 year mortgage on a house and that bitch in California who is having kids like a mouse does nothing and is getting a 1.6 million dollar house, and the tax payers are footing the bill.

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:35 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Fribur wrote:
He's closing Gitmo. There-- now keep your promise and cut him some slack.

To correct: He SAYS he's closing Gitmo. More pretty words without a concrete plan to back them up or any action towards fulfilling that promise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:29 AM 

Oh I get it. So it doesn't matter what I point out, you'll just find a way to discredit it. I should have figured there was no way you would "cut some slack" for this guy.

Here's something different-- just heard about it today. Finally the budget that will be released will be a little more honest-- Iraq will be included, and tax revenue that we never collect (because Congress waives it) will not be included. That's great! Of course, you'll find some way to discredit it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:45 AM 

Lol. It's interesting, because after watching Kula and Joxur froth at the mouth at ANYTHING Obama, I've surprisingly come to have some more respect for the slightly more nuanced and (dare I say it) open-minded opinions of conservatives like krby, Wakkagud, Bale(hell, occasionally even Khan) and others that aren't quite as liberal.

It's nice because even if you disagree, occasionally you can actually get through to them; You're not talking to a wall or a troll.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:11 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

How about a wall OF trolls?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:01 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I've been pretty consistent since the campaign: words don't impress me. So pointing out that Obama has reiterated his campaign promise to close Gitmo certainly doesn't inspire confidence in him or trust. It's just more pretty words with a delaying tactic added into them. Now, if he actually does it, that would be different.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:14 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Kulamiena wrote:
I've been pretty consistent since the campaign: words don't impress me. So pointing out that Obama has reiterated his campaign promise to close Gitmo certainly doesn't inspire confidence in him or trust. It's just more pretty words with a delaying tactic added into them. Now, if he actually does it, that would be different.

He signed an executive order to close the camp within a year. That's a little more solid than "reiterating a campaign promise."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:43 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
The important question is where will the detainees be moved? The majority most certainly will not be released.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:19 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
obama

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:56 AM 

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Attorney General Eric Holder, just back from his first trip to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, said Wednesday he is still determined to carry out President Barack Obama's order to close the prison, but admitted he was "impressed by the people," and said "the facilities are good ones."

Attorney General Eric Holder said he didn't witness any prisoner mistreatment during his trip.

Holder's positive assessment of "professionalism" at the prison was in distinct contrast to claims by many critics who charge Guantanamo Bay stands as a world-wide symbol of the alleged U.S. mistreatment of enemy combatants.

"I did not witness any mistreatment of prisoners. I think to the contrary I saw a conscious attempt by those guards to conduct themselves in an appropriate way," Holder told reporters.

Holder has been named by Obama to oversee the process that will decide what to do with the 245 detainees held at the prison.

Obama's executive order allows only one year for the prison to be closed.

"This will not be an easy process," Holder said. "It's one we will do in a way that ensures that people are treated fairly and that the American people are kept safe."

Don't Miss
Detainees treated humanely, Pentagon report says
Holder predicted it will take most of the coming year for his staff of lawyers and experts to comb the files of the detainees and then decide whether they should be released, sent to other countries, placed in military courts, or moved to civilian criminal courts in the United States.

The attorney general spoke of his visit as members of Congress expressed a range of views on what to do with the detainees, and whether the president should re-consider his order closing Guantanamo Bay.

interesting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:17 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Quote:
"I did not witness any mistreatment of prisoners. I think to the contrary I saw a conscious attempt by those guards to conduct themselves in an appropriate way," Holder told reporters.

No shit? You mean the guards didn't go "the Attorney General is here, let's fuck up some sand niggers for 'em!"?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:13 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Kulamiena wrote:
You're like 20 posts late Bzalthek and as usual have nothing substantive to add to the discussion. Oh by the way, the thread was derailed awhile ago.

F5 more. You're still fucking psycho. It's cute you don't even deny it anymore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:51 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Tyral is correct. The dog and pony show was in full effect for the Attorney General. Big surprise there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:14 PM 

I guess the part that I thought was interesting was the last line
Quote:
The attorney general spoke of his visit as members of Congress expressed a range of views on what to do with the detainees, and whether the president should re-consider his order closing Guantanamo Bay.

Offline Profile