PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:08 AM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine

I listen to Talk Radio a lot.
Most of it is conservative talk radio.
One of our greatest rights is freedom of speech.
The Fairness Doctrine is anything but.
Most people do not understand it.
By giving it a nice sounding name, they seek to trick people into making it sound like something it is not.
If a radio station choses to run one kind of programing, that should be it's right.
I am sure a lot of you do not agree with right wing agendas, but, do you agree with freedom of speech? If this is instituted, where else would this kind of censorship spread?

DEMS GET SET TO MUZZLE THE RIGHT
Quote:
Would a President Obama veto a new Fairness Doctrine if Congress enacted one? It's doubtful.

The Fairness Doctrine was an astonishingly bad idea. It's a too-tempting power for government to abuse. When the doctrine was in effect, both Democratic and Republican administrations regularly used it to harass critics on radio and TV.

Second, a new Fairness Doctrine would drive political talk radio off the dial. If a station ran a big-audience conservative program like, say, Laura Ingraham's, it would also have to run a left-leaning alternative. But liberals don't do well on talk radio, as the failure of Air America and indeed all other liberal efforts in the medium to date show. Stations would likely trim back conservative shows so as to avoid airing unsuccessful liberal ones.

Then there's all the lawyers you'd have to hire to respond to the regulators measuring how much time you devoted to this topic or that. Too much risk and hassle, many radio executives would conclude. Why not switch formats to something less charged - like entertainment or sports coverage?

Back to Muzak? Congress and the Un-Fairness Doctrine(LINK)

Quote:
"Our massive strategy was to use the Fairness Doctrine to challenge and harass right-wing broadcasters and hope the challenges would be so costly to them that they would be inhibited and decide it was too expensive to continue."

--Bill Ruder, Democratic campaign consultant and Assistant Secretary of Commerce, Kennedy Administration[1]

Why the Fairness Doctrine is Anything But Fair(LINK)

Quote:
Thus, the result of the fairness doctrine in many cases would be to stifle the growth of disseminating views and, in effect, make free speech less free. This is exactly what led the FCC to repeal the rule in 1987. FCC officials found that the doctrine "had the net effect of reducing, rather than enhancing, the discussion of controversial issues of public importance," and therefore was in violation of constitutional principles. ("FCC Ends Enforcement of Fairness Doctrine," Federal Communications Commission News, Report No. MM-263, August 4, 1987.) Even liberal New York Governor Mario Cuomo has argued that, "Precisely because radio and TV have become our principal sources of news and information, we should accord broadcasters the utmost freedom in order to insure a truly free press." (Mario Cuomo, "The Unfairness Doctrine," The New York Times, September 20, 1993, p. A19.)

Simple Solution
If the fairness standard is reinstituted, the result will not be easier access for controversial views. It will instead be self-censorship, as stations seek to avoid requirements that they broadcast specific opposing views. With the wide diversity of views available today in the expanding broadcast system, there is a simple solution for any family seeking an alternative viewpoint or for any lawmaker irritated by a pugnacious talk-show host. Turn the dial.

What do you think?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
I don't see significant movement on this issue for a while.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:47 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Heh, oh noes, we won't be able to blatantly lie anymore by calling it a "viewpoint" or "opinion!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:46 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I think the Fairness Doctrine is great.
I think talk radio should be 50% Dems and 50% Republicans. Any independents should be barred from having a show.

I also believe newspapers should be this way. The NY Times, Wallstreet Journal, and other papers should have Congress vote on which direction they lean. Once it is decided, we should then fire enough editors and replace them with counter-points so that all newspapers amount to 50% Dem and 50% Repubs.

This is how the world should be: perfectly balanced.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:00 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Profits be damned!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:44 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Leolan wrote:
I don't see significant movement on this issue for a while.

What Leo said.

"Some Democratic legislators have expressed interest in reinstituting the Fairness Doctrine,[22] although no one has introduced legislation to do so since 2005." - from your own link.

What this has become is a talking point when one is out of talking points. Once it's reintroduced as a bill? I'll comment on the contents of that bill.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:54 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Orme, a Singing Bard wrote:
I think the Fairness Doctrine is great.
I think talk radio should be 50% Dems and 50% Republicans. Any independents should be barred from having a show.

I also believe newspapers should be this way. The NY Times, Wallstreet Journal, and other papers should have Congress vote on which direction they lean. Once it is decided, we should then fire enough editors and replace them with counter-points so that all newspapers amount to 50% Dem and 50% Repubs.

This is how the world should be: perfectly balanced.

Your forgetting that Repubs/conservatives are evil, so any radio/newspaper would have to be baned under this.

I am thinking that they will sneak this into a more importation bill, to try to get it passed

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:03 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

$5 donated to the charity of your choice says this is a cut-and-paste from either a website or an email.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:05 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Another $5 to the charity of your choice if you can articulate the differences between Fairness Doctrine and Equal Time without directly quoting a website.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:45 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

As I said, I listen to talk radio. I have heard on a few shows conversation about the Fairness Doctrine. I researched some online and found the sites listed myself and chose the quotes, so, not it is not an E-mail.

From what I have heard on the radio (Yes, I know it is very biased and one sided.) It sounded like the Dems where pushing for it.

I am sure they are demonizing it, but, from what I have heard, it is being considered. I just think it is a bad move to make any media be forced to have any viewpoint or forced to broadcast something they do not want to. It seems directed at Radio, where conservative shows are more popular. It does not seem to have focus on other mainstream media like TV, that, with the exception of FOX, is more liberal biased. I think this has potential to set a president that can affect our freedom of speech.

We will see what happens.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:15 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

So what's the charity of choice?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:57 AM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

http://www.prostatecancerfoundation.org/
The one I already make donations to.
It is what killed my father.
So, where is YOUR $5.00 going for being wrong on the first question? And, why did you choose it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:34 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Confirmation
Your Confirmation Information

01/31/2009 11:32 AM (PT)
Prostate Cancer Foundation

John Carter
[REDACTED]
Quincy , MA 02170

Thank you for helping the Prostate Cancer Foundation achieve its mission: finding better treatments and a cure for recurrent prostate cancer.

Please print this page for your records.

Tell us what you are looking for in a prostate cancer community - take our survey.

The following summarizes your contribution:
Payment Amount: $10.00
Reference ID: 88604464

Prostate Cancer Foundation contact information:
Email Address: info@prostatecancerfoundation.org

About Your Donation
The Prostate Cancer Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization. All donations are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. A receipt will be sent by email.

In order to reduce expenditures and to ensure that your donation is used for promising research, gifts under the amount of $250 will not receive an additional letter from the PCF.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:34 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
good job

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:11 PM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

EQ1: Tyral
WoW: Tyrak
Eh, I don't listen to talk radio at all. They're all a bunch of nutjobs with no clue about how the typical American thinks. They're not in place to sway anyone to their side (though I'm sure they're happy if they manage it). They're in place to reinforce the paradigm that their left- and right-wing nutjob followers already believe in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:03 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Quote:
They're all a bunch of nutjobs with no clue about how the typical American thinks. They're not in place to sway anyone to their side (though I'm sure they're happy if they manage it). They're in place to reinforce the paradigm that their left- and right-wing nutjob followers already believe in.

And that is why they really aren't a force or something that needs to be regulated.

I listen to TR some times, a lot of them are quite comical. Savage for instance, allthough I can't seem to get him locally anymore. He was a true nut job. Rush every once in a while if I am driving a long distance. His elitist attitude is funny as hell. And Laura Ingrahm, who is pretty much insane.

None of these people are anywhere near the force they see themselves as being, but sometimes it is good entertainment; and bottom line, that's all it is...entertainment.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:53 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I agree that they don't need to be regulated.

However, they are most definitely a force. There are millions of people out there that think of it as the truth, and not just entertainment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:02 AM 

Regulating for content is arguably worse than pure censorship. Censorship is one thing.

Censorship: The government telling you what you can NOT say.
Fairness Doctrine: The government making a law outlining what you MUST say.

This law - the very idea of this law - sends a shiver down my spine. We shouldn't even be arguing the full merits of the bill. It needs to be shot down on principle, completely and utterly. People need to vote with their feet and their wallets to choose the content they want to listen to, watch or read.

What's next? Outlets will be evaluated by a government panel to determine the truth behind their claims? Who's watching the watchers?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:51 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I think the fairness doctrine is the wrong tack to take. If you want 'fairness', how about all the outright lies that are intentionally misrepresented as news? How does deceiving people serve the public interest?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:49 AM 

Stabenow of MI wants to hold hearings.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelca ... ml?showall

Stabenow is married to Tom Athans, now the executive vice president of Air America.

Offline Profile