All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Absolutely Disgusting
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:18 AM 
What does this button do?

EQ1: Wakkagud Ondahed
WoW: Slaaneshi
Eve Online Handle: Ackbarre
How wrong is this? It's sad how little concern is shown to our elderly. At least here in Missouri we have laws preventing something like this from happening.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090126/ap_ ... en_indoors

BAY CITY, Mich. – A 93-year-old man froze to death inside his home just days after the municipal power company restricted his use of electricity because of unpaid bills, officials said.

Marvin E. Schur died "a slow, painful death," said Kanu Virani, Oakland County's deputy chief medical examiner, who performed the autopsy.

Neighbors discovered Schur's body on Jan. 17. They said the indoor temperature was below 32 degrees at the time, The Bay City Times reported Monday.

"Hypothermia shuts the whole system down, slowly," Virani said. "It's not easy to die from hypothermia without first realizing your fingers and toes feel like they're burning."

Schur owed Bay City Electric Light & Power more than $1,000 in unpaid electric bills, Bay City Manager Robert Belleman told The Associated Press on Monday.

A city utility worker had installed a "limiter" device to restrict the use of electricity at Schur's home on Jan. 13, Belleman said. The device limits power reaching a home and blows out like a fuse if consumption rises past a set level. Power is not restored until the device is reset.

The limiter was tripped sometime between the time of installation and the discovery of Schur's body, Belleman said. He didn't know if anyone had made personal contact with Schur to explain how the device works.

Schur's body was discovered by neighbor George Pauwels Jr.

"His furnace was not running, the insides of his windows were full of ice the morning we found him," Pauwels told the newspaper.

Belleman said city workers keep the limiter on houses for 10 days, then shut off power entirely if the homeowner hasn't paid utility bills or arranged to do so.

He said Bay City Electric Light & Power's policies will be reviewed, but he didn't believe the city did anything wrong.

"I've said this before and some of my colleagues have said this: Neighbors need to keep an eye on neighbors," Belleman said. "When they think there's something wrong, they should contact the appropriate agency or city department."

Schur had no children and his wife had died several years ago.

Bay City is on Saginaw Bay, just north of the city of Saginaw in central Michigan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:12 AM 
Lois Lane!

I don't know...I don't think it's the power company's fault entirely. We don't know how much communication there was exactly. Did the company know the situation? Did he old man try to get help? I'm sure there are plenty of churches or other groups that would have been willing to help him out if they knew the situation. But perhaps he was senile and didn't know to ask. Who knows?

For all we know, Schur might not have called or said a word to anyone about the situation, so the power company followed procedures.

Without knowing more information, I'd hesitate to condemn the company.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:11 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

That's awful. In Massachusetts, electric / gas utilities aren't allowed to turn people off during certain times of year. I think it is November through March. Of course, I don't think that oil companies are obliged to fill your tanks during the same period, but I haven't lived in a house with oil heat in decades, so I could be wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:07 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Yeah I was pretty appalled by the article as well, I caught it the other day.

But it takes awhile to rack up a $1k bill. I run my a/c almost constantly in summer, and I couldn't do it in a single month in the worst of summer.

So we have someone who missed at *least* a couple of months...if not a lot more.

Why? It wasn't poverty. An article I read said that he had the money clipped to the bill on the table. The guy was 93...was there dementia involved? I don't know. Maybe there was some other factor?

Additionally they didn't cut him off completely. What they did was limit his usage. As the article says it blows like a fuse, until reset. Why didn't he reset it? Why didn't he call the power company to reset it if he couldn't figure it out?

Lots of questions here. I guess my biggest one is, where the fuck is the family? My Grandpop is in his 90s and you know what, there's no worry of this for him. He has dementia, but he also has two of my uncles living with him. And if this man had no family (or had no family that cared), where did the 'system' fail him when we have social workers who could have gotten him whatever assistance he needed.

Bottom line is the entire thing sucks because regardless of who is at fault and how much they're at fault...this man should never have died this way. No one should. No one should freeze to death in this country unless they're trapped somewhere or lost where it's not preventable. Just as no one should starve to death in this country, etc.

I think instead of blindly blaming the 'evil electric company' though, which is IMO a little too easy...it would be smarter to take a closer look and find out exactly what was going on and where all the fail was.

And unless he was completely lost to dementia, or some other crippling illness which prevented him from taking ANY responsible action, some of that responsibility lies with Marvin Schur.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:17 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
Lots of questions here. I guess my biggest one is, where the fuck is the family?
I completely agree.

Still... old people can be stubborn pains in the asses. My father in law was so "independent" that he wouldn't share any information with anyone. I kept trying to push for my wife to try to take over his affairs and manage his accounts, but she wouldn't do it - not that I can blame her, that's not something you can force someone to do to their parent if they're uncomfortable.

The guy kept getting sick, so sick that we would regularly take him to the hospital, or he would drive himself. Nothing worked, no amount of interventions. He did things his way and didn't want any help. There were other things going on here, namely his depression at losing his wife, that made him want to stop living altogether, but still... old people can be stubborn. It could be that his family had tried to intervene repeatedly and been denied. I dunno.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:38 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

joxur wrote:
Quote:
Lots of questions here. I guess my biggest one is, where the fuck is the family?
I completely agree.

Still... old people can be stubborn pains in the asses. My father in law was so "independent" that he wouldn't share any information with anyone. I kept trying to push for my wife to try to take over his affairs and manage his accounts, but she wouldn't do it - not that I can blame her, that's not something you can force someone to do to their parent if they're uncomfortable.

Ugh good point and one that I've had to deal with regarding in-laws myself. I shouldn't be so quick to condemn the family given that a situation can rapidly devolve faster than they are aware of. Especially when they're not local.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:45 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Quote:
Schur had no children and his wife had died several years ago.
It's quite possible there is no family.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:14 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

If the electric company knows someone does not have power at a time where death can result from not having power, they have a moral obligation to say something.

I would hope they are legally obliged to do so.
If I run a cruise ship and somoene can't pay their bill, I'm not allowed to through them in the ocean.

This is me living in happy-land:
The electric company should call Health * Human Services and say "we cannot provide this person electricity, and let the agency deal with it from there. But to just drop power is reckless endangerment in my opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:16 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Quote:
But it takes awhile to rack up a $1k bill.

Depends on the house and furnace. I have family who have 400 dollar a month gas bills. My last house was a 4 bedroom house build in 1920's and during the winter our gas was about 200(and we kept the house a brisk 60-64 degrees), our electric was about 200. We were very conservative with our usage and within a few months we could have easily been 1k under.

Now we are in a 2 bedroom apartment and run our furnace constantly - our last electric bill was 97 bucks (the whole apartment is electric).

My wife's grandmother is 92 and shes freaked out by cars/people/tv/ her own shadow.... I could see how someone that old would have a problem physically/mentally paying the bill. 93 is fucking old.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:58 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
It's Obama's fault, why didn't he step in and help this old man!

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:02 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
DraagunSoulstealer wrote:
Quote:
But it takes awhile to rack up a $1k bill.

Depends on the house and furnace. I have family who have 400 dollar a month gas bills. My last house was a 4 bedroom house build in 1920's and during the winter our gas was about 200(and we kept the house a brisk 60-64 degrees), our electric was about 200. We were very conservative with our usage and within a few months we could have easily been 1k under.

Now we are in a 2 bedroom apartment and run our furnace constantly - our last electric bill was 97 bucks (the whole apartment is electric).

My wife's grandmother is 92 and shes freaked out by cars/people/tv/ her own shadow.... I could see how someone that old would have a problem physically/mentally paying the bill. 93 is fucking old.

Yeah, it completely depends on the house and furnace. I was living in a house for a year after getting out of the military and it was like 250 bucks a month to heat the place even with the stat set at 65. It's not completely unrealistic to think of a cold old man in a drafty as hell house to crank it up to 80 and just rack up the bill from september to present day.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to cut off heat or electricity in the winter in a number of states.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:49 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

EQ1: Cucullin McFury
When I lived in Buffalo the gas company could not turn off the gas on a home after the temperature dropped below 46 in the fall and it had to rise above 50 in the spring before they could do disconnects. It was done so that people would not die from not having heat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:30 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

winter disconnection is illegal in wisconsin as well. it kind of baffles me that michigan doesn't have similar legislation, considering parts (the UP at least) have consistently harsher winters than wisconsin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:39 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

noojens wrote:
winter disconnection is illegal in wisconsin as well. it kind of baffles me that michigan doesn't have similar legislation, considering parts (the UP at least) have consistently harsher winters than wisconsin.

I think they have something similar since they put a breaker on his meter instead of disconnecting it. That way you could use power for 'emergency' usage, but you can't run it up. The breaker tripped, which cut off all power...but he could have reset it. The user can manually reset it apparently. But he never called or anything, once it went out.

So, dunno. =\

Even if something happens like your shit breaks there's always some service that will help you out, rather than let you freeze to death. I'd certainly take in my neighbors on a cold night if money woes had cost them their heat...not that it gets that cold here. I'd also sure as hell share our dinner with them too if need be before I'd let someone go hungry.

Pretty sure most neighbors would do the same. Same with church groups, even gaming guilds. One family in our guild took in another player who was out of work and couldnt find a job and was really at the end of the line. He had no family that could really help him. It was a bad situation. The guy who took him in wasn't the only one to offer either. And lots of Lanys people have helped each other out over the years.

People aren't alone in this world and more importantly they don't have to be. But no one's gonna know if you're in trouble unless you say something.

Maybe this guy was too far gone to let people know. It makes me really sad though. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:42 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

He was 93. 93! He probably didn't understand what happened when the power went out. Sure, I would go reset it or call the company.. but when you are 93? Fuck, he probably thought electric was magic anyway.

93 is so old.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:31 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

This story gets sadder with each new bit of information:

Quote:
By Wayne Drash
CNN

(CNN) -- A 93-year-old World War II medic who froze to death last month in his Bay City, Michigan, home left his entire estate to a local hospital, an estate attorney told CNN Wednesday.

Martin Schur poses with his wife, Marian, in 1976. Local and state officials agree that Schur's death was avoidable.

1 of 3 The attorney would not disclose the exact amount left behind by Martin Schur. But his nephew said his uncle indicated to family members two years ago that he had saved up more than a half-million dollars over the years. Schur and his wife, Marian, who died more than a year ago, did not have any children.

"I just know at one time he said he had over $600,000 in savings," said William Walworth. "That's what he told me and my brother, and he was proud that he was able to save and build his estate up to that."

Cathy Reder, an attorney negotiating on behalf of Bay Regional Medical Center and the Schur family, said she was filing paperwork in probate court Wednesday for the court to determine the validity of the will. A hearing has been set for March 17.

Reder would not specify the amount left to the hospital, other than to say it's more than $1.

"The will leaves everything to Bay Medical Center," she said.

The hospital had no immediate comment.

Walworth said his uncle was a frugal man who hadn't eaten at a restaurant for over 30 years. "He was very tight, and he was very frugal. But he did manage to save a lot of money."

He said it's possible his uncle's estate could be less than $600,000, but he believes it's still "sizable."

"Knowing my uncle, that's him," Walworth said. "He loved his community. He loved Bay City, Michigan."

He added, "Hopefully his death is not in vain and we can learn from this, and he's still able to save lives. ... He was a very unique, special person in my life. I'm proud of what he was able to do in his life."

He said he hopes his uncle's message will spur others to "look out for their neighbor."

The size of the estate -- if it's as large as the nephew believes -- adds another tragic twist to Schur's death. The power company limited his electricity because he owed about $1,000. Watch neighbor say the death is "unforgivable" »

Schur's death last month shocked Bay City, a town of about 37,000 on Lake Huron's Saginaw Bay.

The World War II veteran's frozen body was found in his home January 17, just four days after a device that regulates how much power he uses -- installed because of failure to pay -- shut off his power. A medical examiner said the temperature was 32 degrees in the house when Schur's body was found.

The medical examiner told The Bay City Times that Schur died a "slow, painful death." "It's not easy to die from hypothermia without first realizing your fingers and toes feel like they're burning," Dr. Kanu Virani told the paper.

Don't Miss
Michigan senior's freezing death preventable, relative says
Winter blast blamed for damage, deaths
The Michigan State Police launched an investigation into Schur's death for possible criminal violations. "We have to do everything we can to make sure this doesn't happen again, whether it's Bay City or in any one of the cold weather states," Bay City Mayor Charles Brunner said last week.

The death has prompted a review of Bay City Electric Light & Power's rules and procedures for limiting or cutting off power. It also resulted in Bay City residents protesting Monday to the city about its handling of the whole situation.

A neighbor who lives down the street called Schur's death "unforgivable."

"This can't be allowed to happen in this country," said Jerome Anderson.

Walworth said he believes his uncle's death was "preventable."

"It should never have happened. It's a tragic loss," he said. "I had a lot of fond memories of my uncle, and that's the type of memory I don't want to have: Him freezing to death."

Utility officials said Schur owed about $1,000 resulting in a "limiter" being put on his home. Limiters are devices that cut power as a warning for people who haven't paid their bills. Limiters can be reset to restore a lesser degree of power until a bill payment is worked out. In Schur's case, the limiter was never reset, and it's unclear whether he knew how to do that.

Schur had been living alone since his wife died, Walworth said.

Unlike private utilities regulated by the state, Bay City runs and oversees its own utilities and therefore doesn't fall under Michigan's public service commission. By law, Michigan requires private companies to prohibit cutting off service to senior citizens between November and April. Seniors must register for the program.

The city has begun questioning whether its rules and procedures for limiting or cutting off power need a major overhaul. The utility has stopped its practice of cutting power to customers who don't pay their bills.

The utility also has removed all "limiters" on homes.

Walworth said someone should have looked at Schur's payment history and made direct contact to see whether something was wrong. He's hoping the nation will learn from his uncle's death.

"Hopefully, some good can come out of this. I'm still an optimist."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:46 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

"Unlike private utilities regulated by the state, Bay City runs and oversees its own utilities and therefore doesn't fall under Michigan's public service commission. By law, Michigan requires private companies to prohibit cutting off service to senior citizens between November and April. Seniors must register for the program."

That is pretty messed up. No one in a Northern state should be able to have their primary heating source cut off in the winter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:17 PM 

EQ1: Wakkagud Ondahed
WoW: Slaaneshi
Eve Online Handle: Ackbarre
More I read about this the sadder it makes me feel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:53 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I think the thing that actually pisses me off the most is:

Quote:
"I've said this before and some of my colleagues have said this: Neighbors need to keep an eye on neighbors," Belleman said. "When they think there's something wrong, they should contact the appropriate agency or city department."

As if somehow, the neighborhood is to blame where the company that actually cut the power wasn't.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:26 AM 
Lois Lane!

Not that I don't think it's tragic...I do.

But that article said the nephew said someone should have looked into the guy's payment history and contacted him to see if something was wrong. We don't know for sure if that was or wasn't done.

Either way, though, I have to ask what the electric company should do when someone stops paying his bill. I mean, if you know it's not going to get cut off if you don't pay, then what's to prevent people from just...stopping payment? Why pay at all?

And if they have a rule that it's illegal to shut off power Nov-April, do they have to automatically restart the heat in November, even if the person doesn't pay?

I'm just curious. It doesn't seem right to 100% blame the power company.

Maybe, as an option, the power company should have an "alternative contact" for older customers, like this nephew?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:48 AM 

Quote:
Either way, though, I have to ask what the electric company should do when someone stops paying his bill. I mean, if you know it's not going to get cut off if you don't pay, then what's to prevent people from just...stopping payment? Why pay at all?

It's a price that comes with the service they provide. I'm sure there are people who would abuse it, but by and large they'll still find ways to make profits and do well. After all, several laws have been in place for a while now and those companies for the most part aren't going out of business.

I'd compare it to something like the ER. They have to treat someone that comes in, even if they can't afford it. To *stand by* and do nothing is very close to actually killing a person, *especially* if you're in a situation where you're right next to the person and can do something about it. That's why the ER must save people. That's why the power companies in those states provide it. In their case, they aren't exactly standing next to the person, but it's certainly within their means NOT to cut a person's power off.

The bottom line is that when you cut power to those who don't pay in colder months, there will always be older people or perhaps mentally disabled people who will get the brunt end of it. By cutting the power, especially if you specifically cut power to those people, you have signed their death sentence.

In that sense, it's almost worse than the ER in that they've taken a direct action which will result in someone's death, and they know it(or should know it now).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:40 AM 
I schooled the old school.

When I was in college, I moved in with three people I didn't know during the winter. We split the utilities, and I wasn't responsible for the heat bill. A few weeks after I moved in, they shut off our gas (and therefore our heat).

I called the gas company and found out that there was an $800 unpaid bill associated with that home, with much of that originating with the previous tenant (none of the people currently living there). They said they would not turn on the heat again until someone paid that bill.

Well none of us were willing to pay the bill of the previous renter so... we spent the rest of the winter wearing coats in the house and using electric space heaters for heat. None of us renewed the lease, and we all moved out that summer without the problem ever being resolved.

No point, just a story about heating!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:08 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
"If the electric company knows someone does not have power at a time where death can result from not having power, they have a moral obligation to say something."

"winter disconnection is illegal in wisconsin as well. it kind of baffles me that michigan doesn't have similar legislation, considering parts (the UP at least) have consistently harsher winters than wisconsin."

*Sigh* It's just me, I know. I knwo this. BUt I guess I am a codl eharted sum' bitch.

Exactyl how many of you here in the last.. oh.. since they started providing power to the world, and charging for it, aren't aware that companies make money by providing a service, and charging for it?

Pay your fucking bioll or get it turned off!

How fucking hard is it?

I odn;t care hwo the fuck you are, or how old you are. Private businesses are NOT responsible for YOUR imability to follow through with something. Like paying a bill on time or dealign with an unpaid one in a civilized manner with teh company.

Don't cry to me the man was 93, he had no family. Etc. When his wife cakced the bucket, the government is SUPPOSED to look at people of that age and deal with them. Even if it;s onloy providing a state appointed social worker just to see if they are "Okay". Things liek thata re paid for and funded by our taxes.

The man didn;t even have to be belligereent and run the giv;t person off. With no fmaily, and being extremerely geriatric. They could have looked in on him without him even knowing.

To tell a PRVIATE company doing business in a maneer following an agreed upon contract "You're the bad guy!", is ludicrous bullshit.

People, linerals especailly, would be SCREAMING if this had happened during the heat of the summer too, if the guy had died of heat stroke. This could have happend at ANY time of the year, and bleeding hearts would be looking tot he ppower company and complaining, regardless of the man's culpability, age or not.

Tell me. really, just at WHAT point, does the compoany have the right to say "OKay. enough is enough. We're stopping!"

My main gripe I suppose is that everyone wants to find blame with companies and someone else, instead of taking responsibility for their own fucking actions. If I am gonna fund a welfare state with my taxes, it better damn well work when it's suppopsed to, and it failed here.

And if he fell throught he cracks. all her had to do to "get attention" if he wanted it. was walk outside in a dress shirt and tie on. with no pants and underwear on. He'd have gotten proper attention quickly enough after that. (No cop is gonna hurt and arrest a 93 yr old gerry, they'd call the state to help the guy)

Quit blaming business for behaving like businesses. It's not like they wired his house faulty, knew about it, and he electrocuted himself. The busines was not "At fault".

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:09 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
And no. I never learned to type. Don't like the spelling. Piss off.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:54 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:24 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

gwiber, here's the problem with your thoughts: He had the money! I saw somewhere that the unpaid bill with the cash to pay it were sitting on his kitchen table. All the utility company had to do was knock on the door and they get their money. In an interview they couldn't/wouldn't confirm whether any personal contact was made with this man prior to the regulator being installed(?) or if he knew there was a way to reboot(?) it temporarily.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:08 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

at 93, there is a very real chance that this guy couldn't tie his shoes anymore, let alone take care of himself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:18 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
Tell me. really, just at WHAT point, does the compoany have the right to say "OKay. enough is enough. We're stopping!"

Spring.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:22 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Condemning the business in hindsight is really, really easy and I'm sure makes everyone feel good about themselves...railing against evil business in defense of nice old man.

Fact is though, that things do fall through the cracks. You coop up inside your house, don't try to contact anyone, don't have any family, don't pay your bills...well, what do you expect to eventually happen? Businesses aren't going to send Johnny Caresalot out to the houses of every single person who doesn't pay their bills to make sure they're doing alrighty.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:55 AM 

Gwiber-- your post makes me sad. A capitalist society without the temperence of moral decision making is not a place I would ever wish to live. I hope you have no real power wherever you work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:21 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Wow Fribur, you read it? I couldn't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 AM 

Honestly, I skimmed a bit-- it was difficult :p.

Here's the short version (with decent grammar / spelling, no less!):

Quote:
Asking businesses to think about what's right and wrong while doing business sucks! Money > all! Let them die if they don't pay!

Hope that helps.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:41 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
As far as businesses are concerned, money should definitely be more important than anything else. However, consideration needs to be given to the economic ramifications of your actions. Letting an old man die because you turned off his electricity and did not provide any follow-up costs the business money from the increased regulation that will result and from the loss of customers who will find alternate methods of having their demands met rather than dealing with your business.

It's not about right and wrong, that is for individuals rather than businesses, it's about what is most advantageous to the company's bottom line. In the majority of cases, it is financially beneficial for a business to provide the illusion of caring about its customers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:01 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I guess I need to quote it again:

""Unlike private utilities regulated by the state, Bay City runs and oversees its own utilities and therefore doesn't fall under Michigan's public service commission. By law, Michigan requires private companies to prohibit cutting off service to senior citizens between November and April. Seniors must register for the program."

If it had been a PRIVATE business, the guy would still be alive, because his electric utility would have been regulated under MI state law. It was a city utility, exempt from cut-off regulations, that cut him off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:26 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
""Unlike private utilities regulated by the state, Bay City runs and oversees its own utilities and therefore doesn't fall under Michigan's public service commission. By law, Michigan requires private companies to prohibit cutting off service to senior citizens between November and April. Seniors must register for the program."

From everything we know about the guy so far, I'd dare say that no, he wouldn't still be alive because he probably wouldn't have registered for this any more than he'd have paid his bill or picked up a telephone to call someone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:04 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Possibly. That is unknowable. And it doesn't render moot the lunacy of only mandating a program to keep seniors from freezing to death to private utiities and not to publc ones. I don't think an entity's profit motive should be a determinant in whether or not they have to offer a program designed to avoid Grampsicles.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:13 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Quote:
Man who froze left $600K
to hospital

Man owed $1,000 to utility company
Last Edited: Thursday, 05 Feb 2009, 9:42 AM EST
Created On: Thursday, 05 Feb 2009, 8:12 AM EST

BAY CITY, Mich. (AP) -- - The 93-year-old man who froze to death while owing about $1,000 to the utility that restricted his
elecricity usage left an estimated $600,000 to a Bay City hospital.

Marvin Schur's attorney, Cathy Reder, tells the Detroit Free Press that the World War II veteran bequeathed his entire fortune to Bay Medical Center.

Schur's frozen body was found Jan. 17, four days after Bay City Electric Light & Power installed a device on his electric meter that cuts power after a predetermined level is reached.

State regulators on Wednesday issued emergency rules designed to protect more people against electricity or heat shutoffs in the winter.

Walworth tells the Free Press that his uncle retired from a tool and die factory in his early 50s. Neither he nor Reder knew why Schur left his fortune to Bay Medical Center.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:27 PM 

Quote:
People, linerals especailly, would be SCREAMING if this had happened during the heat of the summer too, if the guy had died of heat stroke. This could have happend at ANY time of the year, and bleeding hearts would be looking tot he ppower company and complaining, regardless of the man's culpability, age or not.

You're damned right I would, especially if it was extremely hot. I have a problem when any company, entity, or person flips a switch(in this case an automatic switch, no less problematic and solvable) and kills a person.

My line is drawn in a very simple, straightforward manner: Have you taken an action that you have a very good idea will end in the death of someone? The company can "say no" when their actions do not kill people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:21 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Have you taken an action that you have a very good idea will end in the death of someone? The company can "say no" when their actions do not kill people.

Uh, no....the end result doesn't indicate the knowledge or state of mind of the business.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:37 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Do you think Walworth is pissed?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:52 PM 

Quote:
Uh, no....the end result doesn't indicate the knowledge or state of mind of the business.

The end result by itself doesn't. If they know there's a high likelihood of someone dying, that displays the state of mind of the business certainly. 100 percent knowledge that someone will die? Very uncommon, but we can easily deduce that they have an idea that in weather as cold as it was then and there are also older people living under their power structure, someone has a very good chance of dying to the cold if the power is switched off. Ignorance isn't always an excuse, either, but I would say in a situation this obvious it *should* fall within their knowledge that someone would die in a power outage of their doing.

This is why they have laws against this in a few northern states.

They should hire a small team of people that specifically goes to each location that might be a hazard. "Here's a 93-year-old guy that signed up with us and has a limiter on his property". Go check out the situation when the limiter is scheduled to activate(i.e. when a certain amount of time has passed to where the power should have been used up if it stayed on the amount of time that the limiter would activate), or even just call to make sure they're ok.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:21 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

This may be a wake up call for the country. These stories or similar will probably become more frequent as our population ages. How do we fix it? I honestly don't know how you protect a population that has the rights of an adult but may not have the full capacity of an adult any longer. We spend billions of dollars researching ways to keep people alive longer and active longer but as far as I know have spend little to no money on the socio-economic and societal costs associated in this endless quest for youth and immortality.

Where did Schur's life intersect social services? What services were offered to him or required? Do we have in place the social services necessary to deal with the aging of our population?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:27 AM 

Quote:
I honestly don't know how you protect a population that has the rights of an adult but may not have the full capacity of an adult any longer
Put them on the supreme court?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:23 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
gwiber wrote:
"A lot of stupid shit."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:39 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
This may be a wake up call for the country. These stories or similar will probably become more frequent as our population ages. How do we fix it?

Is it something that really needs fixing? Is it?

One effect of having mass, sensationalized media is that every single occurrence of every little thing gets reported all over the place in a thousand different ways and people start thinking its some big widespread problem.

Personally I actually think it has a negative effect on our society every time we act like every single bad occurrence requires a charge of the light brigade. More and more codes and laws and regulations and bureaucratic red tape and whatnot gets piled on and on and on.

It's sad that the guy died like he did. Really. But it's not indicative of some pandemic of senior citizen neglect and horrible demises. It's one guy who was cut off from the world, wasn't taking care of his responsibilities, was clearly too out of his gourd to even know he was freezing, and it ended in a tragic death. Is it something that we need to call in the cavalry about, make some heads roll, print up a new book of regulations, bog everyone down in more new rules and regulations?

No, probably not. It's a shame that it happens, but people really do die. Bad things do happen sometimes. Things do fall through the cracks, especially when someone has no family, friends, contacts, etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:07 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
It is illegal here as well to turn off power in the winter.

I am surprised the family don't turn around and sue the power company over this, it looks like there is a good case for this.

The old fart most likely had something wrong with him that he could not call someone for help.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:42 PM 

Exactly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:04 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
It is illegal here as well to turn off power in the winter.

I am surprised the family don't turn around and sue the power company over this, it looks like there is a good case for this.

The old fart most likely had something wrong with him that he could not call someone for help.

Or thye could sue if they turned the power off in the summer and he died of heat stroke.

Or they could sue if they turned the power off in spring and he starved because he couldn't use the electric can opener and couldn't figure out how to eat any other way.

Or they could sue if they turned the power off in autumn and he died of dehydration because he couldn't get any water and couldn't figure out where else to get any.

Really, when do we finally just say that it was tragic and sad, but the guy's time had really come if he was really this bad off. And where was this family, anyway? If we're gonna go throwing blame around, why don't we just go ahead and blame them too, they knew him better than the power company! Lets charge them with abuse and negligence! Why not, right? We have to stem this tide of senior abuse!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:31 PM 

While we're talkin about circumstantials, the family may not have known how far he had gone in terms of being "out of it".

The rest of your proposals sound good though, let's do it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:04 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
While we're talkin about circumstantials, the family may not have known how far he had gone in terms of being "out of it".

And the power company would have known?

C'mon, I know it's really easy to take a stand "Against the big corporation in defense of the helpless old man." but as long as we're just gonna throw blame around, what about his family? Or his neighbors, why weren't they checking up on him? Why didn't his mailman see if he was ok?

Bottom line is, there are people like this that are just hanging on by a thread. He was old, he was clearly not in the best health, he was clearly very, VERY out-of-sorts, he had no social contact...he was just a tragedy waiting to happen. If it wasn't the power, it would have been something else and probably fairly soon. Sure, it's easy to point fingers when something finally does happen, but its hardly fair and it really doesn't do any good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:30 PM 

The power company doesn't *need* to know the specifics of the case, or that he was that far removed. They can eliminate all such instances or potential instances by implementing measures required by many of the northern states and cities.

And again with the blame thing: Neighbors may not have known how far along he was, family, etc. They did not make the decision to turn the power that THEY provide off.

I'm sure other things may have killed him, but this is one that is relatively easy to eliminate from that list.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:33 PM 

Just to add: The guy was 93 years old. If he made it that long, I presume that he went for a while without having too much contact(again, assuming here... not sure how long ago his wife died, etc). I'm honestly not sure how many other things WOULD have really killed him in that condition if he lasted that long, provided he can get his own meals and so forth.

Offline Profile