It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:01 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Should we investigate alleged Bush admin crimes?
Poll ended at Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:43 AM
No, it's in the past, we have bigger fish to fry. 44%  44%  [ 21 ]
Yes, no one is above the law. 33%  33%  [ 16 ]
I couldn't possibly care less. 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
You're such a douchebag Surcam. 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 48
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:16 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Isikoff's article - A Torture Report Could Spell Big Trouble For Bush Lawyers:
Quote:
According to two knowledgeable sources who asked not to be identified discussing sensitive matters, a draft of the report was submitted in the final weeks of the Bush administration. It sharply criticized the legal work of two former top officials—Jay Bybee and John Yoo—as well as that of Steven Bradbury, who was chief of the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) at the time the report was submitted, the sources said.

Quote:
If Holder accepts the OPR findings, the report could be forwarded to state bar associations for possible disciplinary action. But some former Bush officials are furious about the OPR's initial findings and question the premise of the probe. "OPR is not competent to judge [the opinions by Justice attorneys]. They're not constitutional scholars," said the former Bush lawyer. Mukasey, in speeches before he left, decried the second-guessing of Justice lawyers who, acting under "almost unimaginable pressure" after 9/11, offered "their best judgment of what the law required."

But the OPR probe began after Jack Goldsmith, a Bush appointee who took over OLC in 2003, protested the legal arguments made in the memos. Goldsmith resigned the following year after withdrawing the memos, and later wrote that he was "astonished" by the "deeply flawed" and "sloppily reasoned" legal analysis in the memos by Yoo and Bybee, including their assertion (challenged by many scholars) that the president could unilaterally disregard a law passed by Congress banning torture.

Again, future revelations could force the issue here, and move public opinion. Time will tell.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:04 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

It's rather off-topic, but I really do wish that there were more systems in place to come down hard on people guilty of corruption and other offenses in government and high places.

There's always been a feeling of serious class divisions in this country, but it just seems to get worse. I steal a pie from Wal-Mart, ultimately hurting no one, and I'll probably get arrested or something. But people in high places fuck over economies, communities, families, lives, and laugh all the way to the bank with their millions - and everyone knows they're doing it - and no one can do a thing.

Oh well. I know it's not worth worrying about. But on this topic, I mean...these people sent off a chunk of this generation to die for practically no reason in Iraq and (allegedly) made money off the deal, and all we can do is sigh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:12 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I will agree with you that we treat White Collar Crime far too lightly. I was in an insurance class and the instructor pointed out: defraud an insurance company of $10,000 and get caught, you will probably get probation if you pay it back. Steal $500 from a convenience store adn you probably get 5-7 years.

Of course, part of that is we really try to discourage violent crime. But ultimately, what the people at Enron did was far worse than shooting 1-2 innocent bystanders imo.

Offline Profile