It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:22 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:19 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly stupid elected officials can be. The guy has been under investigation for going on 3 years, and tries to sell a senate seat in the midst of all that.

Story can be found here.

The indictment also states Obama wouldn't play ball with Blagojevich:
Quote:
In a conversation with Harris on November 11, the charges state, Blagojevich said he knew that the President-elect wanted Senate Candidate 1 for the open seat but "they're not willing to give me anything except appreciation. [Expletive] them."
TPM speculates that Candidate 1 is Obama's senior adviser Valerie Jarrett. Big question here is, what happens with that senate seat now?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:27 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I would imagine Pat Quinn, the Lt Gov, would make the appointment, unless he was implicated also.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:08 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Theoretically, unless the Lt. Gov. assumes the responsibilities of the governor, he probably lacks the authority.

It's a good week for good government. First Bill Jefferson in New Orleans lost his re-election bid, now we're rid of Blago.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:01 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Hmm, interesting read:

Questions Arise About the Obama/Blagojevich Relationship
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch ... arise.html

I'm sure there will be a LOT of investigating into Obama's role.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:10 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Who cares? He's the President in a month. Haha.

Anyhow, it's a moot story.

Quote:
"I was mistaken when I told an interviewer last month that the President-elect has spoken directly to Governor Blagojevich about the Senate vacancy. They did not then or at any time discuss the subject."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:01 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

If nothing is confirmed between today and monday, Obama will be President. If anything illegal is confirmed we will see if the Electoral college is truly worthwhile.

I'm just curious about whether Obama will pardon Blagojevich after the 2012 campaign season is over.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:42 AM 
I schooled the old school.

You guys are frothing at the mouth again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:09 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Obama will be president.

This is just another one of those background relationships of Obama that was not discussed during the campaign.

I have a feeling that once the initial euphoria of Obama being president wears off (and he does something that the media doesn't like) we will start seeing more "Who really is Barak Obama?" pieces in the media and connections like these will be discussed -- since they were not fully discussed during the campaign.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:10 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I'm not 'frothing at the mouth'. It's just that the scenario where a President-Elect is found to be unfit is one of those "I wonder what would happen if...." kind of things for me. It would be interesting to see the outcome and either justify the EC or show how ridiculous the whole concept is, personally I think the latter would happen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:18 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Blago's own comments in the indictment show there's no love lost between him and Obama. They're key members of the same party in the same state, but that's where the relationship likely ends.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:52 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Quote:
This is just another one of those background relationships of Obama that was not discussed during the campaign.

Lol.

Mr. Obama, just what exactly was is your relationship with the governor of your home state??? Why are you consorting with a man like this??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?????????

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:59 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Nah, Skycrasher more like: "Mr Obama, why did you endorse Blagojevich 2 years ago when he was already under investigation for hiring irregularities?".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:08 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
this is change america can believe in

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:22 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Because Obama could not have known the full extent by which Blag was acting, and as such having a Democratic governor is better than having a Republican governor. It's politics, babe.

Obama did nothing wrong. I love all the frothing at the mouth at the idea that he may have though. Makes me that much more happy that Obama won and spites you because of that fact.

Suck it, and enjoy it for 8 years. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:30 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

God, you make this too easy. Obama endorsed him in the primary. Blagojevich spoke with someone within the transition team or he would not have known that Obama wouldn't play ball. Take your blinders off, Skycrasher, and see Obama for what he is... a typical politician who successfully came up through a corrupt political machine of which he was part. Also, the least experienced President we will have who has been barely vetted by the adoring press.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:37 AM 
Bridge Dweller

who cares who blag talked to if it wasn't obama?

obama aint corrupt, look at all the transparency he's pushing for his administration. that's awesome.

ps: he was vetted -- there was a ton of controversy about his relationships and such during the campaigns.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:38 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
who has been barely vetted by the adoring press.

Barely vetted? Really?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:03 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

:wav:
SHENANIGANS!
:wav:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:45 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

obama wasn't barely vetted, palin was

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:25 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

This gives me hope in our government.

Obviously this guy is an idiot, but I think smarter people in the Democratic Party could have easily swept this under the carpet if they wanted to. They could have gotten rid of this black sheep in more clandestine ways and we would all have been none the wiser.

To see someone like this, busted from the same party that holds power, and not only that but has close regional ties to the president-elect (by that I only mean they come from the same region of the country, not that they actually interacted with each other).....it suprises me this is out in the open like this.

This is a signal that corruption won't stand, no matter how thin the connections you think you might have to the powers that be. I hope this trend continues.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:57 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

The most awesome bit is that Blagojevich started peddling favors because Obama helped pass legislation to curb this kind of corruption:

"Mr. Obama placed the call to his political mentor, Emil Jones Jr., president of the Illinois Senate. Mr. Jones was a critic of the legislation, which sought to curb the influence of money in politics, as was Mr. Blagojevich, who had vetoed it. But after the call from Mr. Obama, the Senate overrode the veto, prompting the governor to press state contractors for campaign contributions before the law’s restrictions could take effect on Jan. 1, prosecutors say."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:00 PM 

Looks like Jesse Jackson Jr is Candidate #5. Damn..

And here I thought I'd have to wait until sometime AFTER Obama was sworn in to say I told you so. Tee hee.

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. Is 'Senate Candidate No. 5', Says He Did Nothing Wrong
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/ConductUn ... 739&page=1

Quote:
Chicago Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Ill., is the anonymous "Senate Candidate No. 5" whose emissaries Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich reportedly offered up to $1 million to name him to the U.S. Senate, his attorney confirmed today after it was reported earlier on ABCNews.com "The Blotter".

So that's Obama's campaign national co-chair and his senior advisor Axelrod with close ties to this crime on the scoreboard so far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:59 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Surprises you that democrats know other democrats? Obama has nothing to do with this, neither does Axelrod. Why do you keep bringing them up?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 PM 

Because clearly that means Obama had something to do with it. Oh noze, some bad eggs in a campaign, that obviously reflects on the next *administration*!

To quote Fitzgerald, "I should make clear the complaint makes no allegations about the president-elect whatsoever".

The investigation is still ongoing, and we have yet to confirm whether Jesse Jackson Jr. or Axelrod were responsible for actually offering the money, or if one of their underlings did so without their permission or knowledge.

Talk about counting your eggs before they hatch... but then again, you've been doing that since the story broke about the chick who got "beaten" by an Obama supporter. Nothin' but hard fact from you!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:33 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Obama was in the country when Jon-Benet Ramsey was killed!

Obama was breathing out of the same planetary atmosphere as the 9/11 hijackers!

Obama shares a great amount of similar genetic code with Osama Bin Laden!

Really, are we done yet?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:16 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
I think we're just gettin started!

His #1 pick for his seat was born in Iran!!!!!!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:21 AM 
Bridge Dweller

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28190263/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:35 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
From that very article:
Quote:
the Blagojevich scandal is a jarring reminder that Obama's political origins are in a city and state long tainted by corruption.

That is the key thing for those of us not drinking the Obama-ade. You can't stand in a pile of shit and not come out smelling like a rose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:55 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Obama did. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:08 PM 
What does this button do?

I always considered that one of Obamas best selling points. Coming out of Chicago there was bound to be someone that was willing to dish the dirt if there was any to dish, he came off very clean.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
That is the key thing for those of us not drinking the Obama-ade. You can't stand in a pile of shit and not come out smelling like a rose.

Wow, my post was a joke, but you basically just did exactly what I was joking about.

"Obama lived in a place where bad things happened!!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:06 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Well, it does affect Obama, however indirectly.

This Blagojevich guy is obviously a jerk that peddles influence. No reasonable person can believe that this is something new, it's probably been going on for years.

The question, for me at least, isn't whether or not you were partner to it, or participated with Blago in it.

The question is, if this behavior runs contrary to your beliefs and your own principles as a politician, why didn't you report it?

Now, I'm not going to point any fingers at Obama, because I don't know how deep his involvement with Blago is, though I think it is important to find out.

I am, however, pointing fingers at people like Jesse Jackson Jr. People who have known, direct contact with Blago.

Blago obviously knew who was willing, and who wasn't willing to "pay and play". This means he had contacts with politicians and/or their representatives. If it was a representative, chances are that representative reported to the politician, at which point the politician had a chance to say yes or no.

Which politician had the courage to say "what the fuck is he saying? Is he trying to peddle influence? I'm going to report this to the FBI".

This is what I want to know. Which politician(s) chose to look the other way, and which politician(s) (if any) had the courage to report this behavior BEFORE it got made public.

I gaurantee you people in the Illinois political power grid knew what type of person Blago was before this story broke. The question is how many considered this "politics as usual" and just ignored it and/or embraced it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:15 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
The question is how many considered this "politics as usual" and just ignored it and/or embraced it.

Probably anyone that did know. =/

I dunno why these idiots do things like this when they're already "on top of th world" so to speak.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:48 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

I am betting that someone in Obama's camp turned Blago in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:45 AM 

I don't see how you can point the finger to Jesse Jackson at this stage of the investigation. "Maybe" Jesse Jackson knew about Blago's corruption. "Maybe" one of the Jackson's representatives actually told him before hooking up the deal. There is no hard evidence that Jackson did any wrong at this point.

As for Obama, it should be innocent until guilty, rather than the usual "omg this looks really really bad for Obama look at these connections omg". It warrants investigation, but we haven't reached anything near conclusive yet. Leaping on every little tidbit Joxur-style gets you nowhere.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:48 AM 

Venen wrote:
I don't see how you can point the finger to Jesse Jackson at this stage of the investigation. "Maybe" Jesse Jackson knew about Blago's corruption. "Maybe" one of the Jackson's representatives actually told him before hooking up the deal. There is no hard evidence that Jackson did any wrong at this point.
Ahh yeah, and "Maybe" Cheney didn't tell Scooter Libby to out Valerie Plame. Sure.

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell today criticized Barack Obama for not being more upfront about the Illinois corruption scandal.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16520.html

So much for promised transparency. Enjoy the next 4 years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:54 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Where's the proof he was involved? Or are soundbites good enough for you?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:01 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

LOL, fucking hilarious.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:52 AM 

Joxur-- maybe you didn't read this the first time it was linked, so I'll post it a second time.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28190263/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:54 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Lol, oh Joxur.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:10 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
So much for promised transparency. Enjoy the next 4 years.

You've said this now, like 3 times, in 3 different "leap to conclusion" events...and each time, Obama has been shown to not be involved. You go on and on about "Obama-ites" and drinking the kool aid, that you are incapable of seeing that you are so blinded with dislike for the man (and have been for quite some time now) that you are unable to actually think logically on the topic any longer, if you were ever capable of it to begin with. For someone who spends an awful lot of time patting himself on the back for being able to see "the true picture", you seem to be incapable of recognizing the tunnel vision you've locked yourself into. You WANT him to be corrupt, so that is what you see.

It's kind of sad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:26 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Naw man, you just drank the kool-aid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:49 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:
The question is how many considered this "politics as usual" and just ignored it and/or embraced it.

Probably anyone that did know. =/

I dunno why these idiots do things like this when they're already "on top of th world" so to speak.
Honestly - because being an elected official is not all that profitable, unless you're corrupt.

The governor makes what... $150,000 a year? That really isn't that much money considering most people don't hold the job for too long. Then, once out of office, what do you do? Your "real skills" are fairly stale at that point.

This is why politics usually only involve 2 types of people:
1. The poor with nothing better to do
2. The rich with nothing better to do

I have thought about getting involved in politics. But, I couldn't afford the pay cut. To try for state senator or something like that would be a lot of work to take something like a 50% paycut, heh.

Let's say I had the ability to get elected to the US House of Representatives - they only make $170k a year. Yeah, that's more than I make now, but let's say I managed to get the job and lost the next election. I'm hosed.

Long way of answering... but that's why they cheat/steal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:08 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

It's called confirmation bias.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:54 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

As for the Obama thing, I think he (and many Democrats) knew what was going on. I think Obama has told some "white lies" about the issue, but whatcha going to do?

As someone mentiond above, I think Obama's pick for his seat is referenced as "Senate Candidate 1" and there is a part of the indictment where they specifically cite the governor asking for cash from that candidate and her supporters. He then says something like "all they are willing to give me is their gratitude, fuck that." hehe.

So, I have to believe Obama knew stuff was going on. Other reports indicate most people were steering clear of the governor because they knew he was toxic.

If you want to attack Obama, you could based on the fact that he turned a blind eye to what was going on. Not sure I crucify him for that, but it would have been nice to see in the indictment that Obama actually went to the feds and said "you need to be checking this out."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:20 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Orme, a Singing Bard wrote:
Let's say I had the ability to get elected to the US House of Representatives - they only make $170k a year. Yeah, that's more than I make now, but let's say I managed to get the job and lost the next election. I'm hosed.

While your point is valid, there are lots of door opened to people in that situation. I think hosed may be taking it a bit too far. Sure, it shakes up your life, but it in no way ends it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:38 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Nice post, Rugen. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:31 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

see it would be this mat with different conclusions on it that you could jump to

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:28 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Isn't this the GTAIV billboard ban in Chicago guy or some shit?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:55 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Orme, a Singing Bard wrote:
Honestly - because being an elected official is not all that profitable, unless you're corrupt.

The governor makes what... $150,000 a year? That really isn't that much money considering most people don't hold the job for too long. Then, once out of office, what do you do? Your "real skills" are fairly stale at that point.

This is why politics usually only involve 2 types of people:
1. The poor with nothing better to do
2. The rich with nothing better to do

I have thought about getting involved in politics. But, I couldn't afford the pay cut. To try for state senator or something like that would be a lot of work to take something like a 50% paycut, heh.

You forget that $150,000 is like 3x more than what the average American makes. It's not chump change for most people.

I forgot where I saw it, maybe it was Hardball, but they were talking about how there's like two types of politicians.

The first type is where this job is like the best they could ever hope to get in life, so they cling to it like made, and use it's power to indulge themselves.

The second type is where they want to be a politician because they want to actually affect change in the world.

The problem is that politics attracts both camps. Also, the salary is negligible, and frankly, not the point. The salary could be $1 a year, the real power is all the other benefits you get from your job, especially if you were corrupt. You don't really need to draw a salary when people are giving you money, free trips, free dinners, giving your spouse a job, etc.....

That's why you have people who give up jobs making $500,000 to get into politics. Because it's a small price to pay for power and influence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:57 AM 

According to a Chicago Tribune reporter-

President-elect Barack Obama's chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, is reportedly on 21 different taped conversations by the feds -- dealing with his boss' vacant Senate seat!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:07 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Newt Gingrich (Ga.), the former Speaker of the House and a potential candidate for president in 2012, wrote a letter to RNC Chair Mike Duncan on Tuesday condemning the Web video circulated by national Republicans over the weekend that sought to link Obama to Blagojevich.

Calling the video a "destructive distraction," Gingrich added: "This ad is a terrible signal to be sending about both the goals of the Republican Party in the midst of the nation's troubled economic times and about whether we have actually learned anything from the defeats of 2006 and 2008."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:38 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I have mixed emotions about Gingrich...
His politics are a bit rough for me, but he is a savvy beast.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:21 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Gingrich has always been pretty wise in the area of "too much" when it comes to attacks and mudslinging.

That's not to say that I think he's above attacks and mudslinging, but it seems like he's always been good at knowing when to say, "Hey, this isn't helping us here."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:05 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
He's also one of those politicians who, while being very partisan, is rational enough about it that people listen to what he has to say. It's just the right people in his own party don't always do so.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:57 PM 
Bridge Dweller

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/secti ... Report.pdf

Suck it haters!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:21 AM 

The Obama team's investigation of the Obama team has cleared the Obama team of any wrongdoing. Whew, glad that got cleared up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:43 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Did you have a nice Christmas break, Joxur? This is old news. =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:44 AM 

Quote:
The Obama team's investigation of the Obama team has cleared the Obama team of any wrongdoing. Whew, glad that got cleared up.

You are predictable, Joxur! Shake things up a bit and surprise us with a non-cynical Obama post sometime.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:40 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I thought it was funny.

Offline Profile