It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:08 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Pardon my penchant for hyperbole, but I submit to you the following article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_med_challenging_aids

In summary, the article indicates some experts are suggesting efforts to fight AIDS is excessive. It goes on to describe illnesses such as malaria and pneumonia are far more deadly problems than AIDS, but receive nowhere near the attention. For example, diarrhea kills 5 times as many kids as AIDS!!
Another point it makes is that while AIDS cannot be cured, there are medicines that can make it a mostly maneageable illness.

In the 80s when AIDS exploded into our society it was incredibly scary (and fatal). Maybe part of the funding and hysteria over AIDS is that it is a disease that can kill middle America. You don't hear of Johnny dying from malaria, so we don't care as much about that. I dunno.

On the flipside, AIDS has much greater potential to be a big problem if left uncontrolled because of its long incubation time. And, if gone unchecked, it could quickly (and quietly) turn into a massive problem.

Anyhoo, food for thought.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:24 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

AIDS is scary to Americans because they have a far greater chance of catching it then some other deadly diseases. The fact that it hides itself with a long incubation time and has a 100% kill rate makes it even more frightening.

People are more likely to donate to disease causes that they have been affected by directly or that they are scared of. Not really anything surprising about it

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:16 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I chalk it up to the idea that, more often than not, whenever any group of people is asked to help with something there will always be a chunk of folks who shun responsibility.

That may have been the primary motivation behind the study, but then it also has an admittedly nice side effect of calming the easily-disturbed masses. "Don't worry your little heads" /pat /pat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:48 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Life has a 100% kill rate as well.

In America it simply is not as prevalent as some would have you believe. (AIDS, not life) Especially after you break it down by demographic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:55 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Quote:
The CDC previously reported that more people are becoming infected each year than previously estimated, with 56,300 new HIV infections in the United States in 2006. Previous estimates put the number of new infections at about 40,000 a year.

Of all the people infected with HIV, 48 percent were men who have sex with men, the CDC said. While male-to-male sexual contact was the leading cause of HIV infections, heterosexual sex — mostly women having sex with men who are injection drug users — accounted for 28 percent of HIV-infected people.

Injection drug use, which spreads the blood-borne virus via contaminated needles, contributed 19 percent of the HIV cases.

Blacks make up 12 percent of the overall population but accounted for 46 percent of those infected with HIV (510,100 people). About 35 percent of those with HIV were white and 18 percent were Hispanic, according to the CDC.

Black women were nearly 18 times more likely than white women to be infected with HIV, while black men were six times more likely than white men, the CDC said. Hispanics were 2.6 times more likely than whites to be infected.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26993069/

US has about 300 million people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:35 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Quote:
Maybe part of the funding and hysteria over AIDS is that it is a disease that can kill middle America. You don't hear of Johnny dying from malaria, so we don't care as much about that.

That's it. People naturally about things that could affect them or someone they know. If you go to 3rd world section of Africa I'm sure malaria and diarrhea are talked about with serious concern.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Damn, no edit and I missed "talk" after naturally.

People naturally talk about things that could affect them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:40 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

It is true to some extent that it is blown out of proportion in the US. At the same time, worldwide it is a massive problem, especially in Africa where there are some countries where 40% of the population is infected with HIV.

But we like to blow things out of proportion, for some reason. Look at what happens every time there is a school shooting, for example. 58 million kids go to school every single day in the US, and when we see 3-4 shootings a year the news goes ballistic with "it's an EPIDEMIC of VIOLENCE" and even people on these boards freak out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:57 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Just have sex with Magic Johnson and then you'll never have to worry about AIDS or HIV.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:02 PM 

Magic Johnson's blood holds the cure!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:06 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

MuliganVanJurai wrote:
Magic Johnson's blood holds the cure!!

Quick! Take all that money that he sleeps near and mesh it up real good...then inject it into your bloodstream! It is your only hope!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:49 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

If my Johnson got into that many hot women, I'd call it magic too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:48 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I think its because he only has one AID.

Oh and in before I wont let HIV infested dentists stick their hands in my mouth. Or first, or whatever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:16 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:01 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

My math is a bit fuzzy, but according to what was listed from the CDC, as a white heterosexual non-injection drug using male - aren't my odds of contracting aids about the same as being shit on by an elephant while I'm asleep on the 7th floor of a hotel?

And even if I did happen to contract HIV from a Thai ladyboy on a sex vacation (because it just feels better without a condom), couldn't I probably expect to more likely be killed from a heart-attack or car accident provided I have access to healthcare, before AIDS related illness did me in?

I'm just sayin...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:52 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Depends on how early you catch it.

Offline Profile