It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:02 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reid & Pelosi
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:00 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

So, yet again they have proven their incompetency...

Quote:
By Campbell Brown
CNN

Editor's note: Campbell Brown anchors CNN's "Campbell Brown: No Bias, No Bull" at 8 p.m. ET Mondays through Fridays. She delivered this commentary during the "Cutting through the Bull" segment of Thursday night's broadcast.

CNN's Campbell Brown cites a Washington Post report on how the bailout is going.

(CNN) -- It was less than two months ago that Congress passed the $700 billion bailout package. Do you remember how it went down?

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson went to Capitol Hill, got down on his knees and begged House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, warning there would be financial Armageddon if he didn't get this cash.

He asked for a blank check. I criticized him for that at the time and applauded Congress for saying, "No way. There must be an oversight. You must account for the money you spend and answer to us every step of the way."

Well, what a joke. Because here we are today and more than a third of the $700 billion has been spent. Paulson tells us Wednesday, oh, by the way, he doesn't think the money is being spent the right way and he is now going to redirect the rest of it. Watch Campbell Brown's commentary »

For all I know, Paulson is right. Maybe the original plan was a bad one and we do need to regroup. But where the heck is the oversight?

I mean, members of Congress: You delayed passage of the bailout bill because you wanted checks and balances. You wanted oversight over what Paulson does.

'No bias, no bull'
Get the latest on the day's main events on "Campbell Brown: No Bias, No Bull"
8 ET Monday through Friday on CNN

see full schedule »
Thursday, The Washington Post reported that the independent oversight jobs that were created as part of this bailout plan haven't even been filled.

No one is keeping watch on how $700 billion of our taxes is being spent. The law requires Congress get a formal report by a certain deadline. The deadline has passed and, big surprise, there is no report.

Here's the quote The Post had from the Treasury Department's inspector general: "It is a mess. I don't think anyone understands right now how we're going to do proper oversight of this thing."

He's right. It is a mess. And who is to blame? Both the White House and Congress were supposed to nominate people to these oversight positions and confirm them.

Both the White House and Congress have dropped the ball and not done their jobs. And because of that, Paulson, a former Wall Street banker, has his blank check and our money.

Not a huge surprise and not a good harbinger for the next 8 years.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Reid & Pelosi
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:04 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

You can't dodge a recession. By the time you see it coming all you can do is work to make it as shallow as possible. The bailout is working as intended.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:06 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Reid & Pelosi will eat our brains!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:13 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Snarky00 wrote:
You can't dodge a recession. By the time you see it coming all you can do is work to make it as shallow as possible. The bailout is working as intended.

So, you believe that all the talk of oversight, like the talk of limiting executive compensation and being sure to help "main street" were just sops thrown to an angry public to calm them?

Wow! we agree on something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:48 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Obama wants oversight, it's a shame they didn't get more into that bill but I expect him to take swift action when he's Pres.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:59 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Did you even read the commentary? They haven't filled the oversight positions that were IN the bill.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:45 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Quote:
Both the White House and Congress were supposed to nominate people to these oversight positions and confirm them.

So where is the bush hate then? Frankly I hope Reid and Pelosi get replaced. It's not that I am blaming them, there isn't a lot they could have done about the issues this congress was elected for with Bush binding their hands on all the important issues. It is that they are ineffective and I don't feel like they tried hard enough to fight Bush. Backing down over and over again at the threat of a veto. We need someone with a spine in those key positions. Not someone that will take partisan potshots right before difficult votes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:09 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Their positions leading up to the financial crisis should be reason enough to disqualify them. Anything hinting towards change should involve removal of the old guard. The incoming president has a good opportunity here to change the climate in Congress. If the status quo is maintained, it's going to be even more petty than it is now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:49 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

The President doesn't decide Congressional leadership.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:08 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

No he doesn't but as the leader of their party he has a lot of influence in the decision.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:42 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

True, but to many it would seem improper for him to exert beyond a certain level of influence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:00 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
"Working as intended" sums it up nicely.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:34 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

It shouldn't come as any surprise to him how hard it can be to work with Congress.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:48 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
As the old saying goes

the opposite of Progress is

CONGRESS

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:05 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

The bailout was one of the worst ideas in history. It should come as no surprise how little oversight there is considering how much pork went into the bill, and it was basically a money grab. You should hold every congressman who voted to pass it accountable.

And have they learned anything? No. Fast forward to today, and the government is thinking about giving more money to AIG, and to bail out the Big 3 Automakers.

None of this would upset me in the least except this is taxpayer's money we are talking about. My money. Your money.

Not only do I disagree with the bailouts, I don't even get a say in it. So my tax dollars are going exactly to the things I don't want it to go to. Education? No. Healthcare? No. Big companies? Yes.

And people want to raise taxes so our government can continue doling it out to whomever is greasing their wheels? Crazy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:12 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

This is throwing good money after bad, it'll be gone very quickly (as will this next batch they're asking for), with little to nothing to show for the vast majority of it.

It's raining dollars in DC and the right people are getting rich. Those right people aren't you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:01 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Something has to be done to keep credit markets semi-liquid.
There definitely isn't enough oversight because of the rushed nature.

Here's the thing - in a market like this, investors in the financial market should lose their asses and companies should be smacked hard.

New investors (like the government) should make a fortune. I was actually semi-hopeful for the bail-out because I felt the AIG deal was a very solid move (in the spirit of the prior Chrysler bail-out), where the government may actually PROFIT.

The bail-out should be used to inject dollars into mostly sound companies with liquidity issues. This does 2 things: creates liquidity and positions the government to MAKE MONEY.

That's the frustrating thing about the bail-out. This should not be "we lose 700 billion dollars." If managed properly, the bail-out should result in minimal losses (and possibly profit).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:17 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

If this bailout was being performed legit, I'm sure it would help. But the people getting rich have all the keys to the kingdom in all the right places, keeping themselves from any real accountability while mooching off America as much as they want.

First the treasury, next the granary.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:04 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
As the old saying goes

the opposite of Progress is

CONGRESS

I threw up a little in my mouth.

Also, I am underwhelmed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:12 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Lord Traxor wrote:
If this bailout was being performed legit, I'm sure it would help. But the people getting rich have all the keys to the kingdom in all the right places, keeping themselves from any real accountability while mooching off America as much as they want.

First the treasury, next the granary.
You're right and that's the really annoying part. The bail-out is less concerned with creating liquidity than preserving wealth (of people who should be getting financially raped). That's the fundamental problem with supply-side economics when government intervention is involved.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:37 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
That's also a fundamental problem with being governed by individuals who would place their (and their lobbyists') portfolio values over the welfare of their constituents.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:41 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

^--- a very sad truth indeed

Offline Profile