It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:35 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Civil Rights March
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:46 AM 
Lois Lane!

By that reasoning, Trax, then the state of California should be able to decide who has the 'privilege' of driving cars and getting married.

So people can go vote and decide that no Asians can get married or drive, right? How about scientologists? I don't really care for that religion, so I want to stop them from getting married. Sorry Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise. If that's how privileges in this society work, then we can stop anyone we want from having them?

Or are the requirements for those privileges based upon something other than race and religion? Driving, for example, is a privilege that can be granted to anyone over a certain age that can take a driving test. Heck, even them gays can drive! It doesn't discriminate based upon race, religion, gender, disability or sexual orientation. Why should marriage, another privilege, be able to be discriminatory?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:51 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Lord Traxor wrote:
If the State of Ca has a right to recognize whom they allow to operate motor vehicles, then it is only reasonable to allow a state to recognize who can marry by its laws.

Establishing whether Marriage is a right or a privilege will be fundamental to determining if anything is being violated is all I'm saying. It seems a lot are assuming it's a right.

Next time I say the thread is done, you guys should listen to me so you avoid posting stupid shit like this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
Ya, that's the attitude to get folks toh elp out your cause alright. I simply posted that if they can prove its a right then the argument will fly much higher. I didn't say It wasn't a right or anything like that. And comparing Sexual discrimination to Racial Discrimination is always a bit flimsy. A lot of you have too much emotion involved in this to be rational.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Oh shit! We should fly that by whichever predominant religious sect is in California. "Marriage is a religious institution! And since 'our' religion is the only true religion, only our marriages should be legal!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:36 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

And if they can get >50% of the voters to agree to adding it as an amendment to the state constitution...yep. Quite frankly, then that would be what a majority of the voting population wanted. We all know that's not likely however.

The big question in my mind now that CA and FL have added (or will be adding) this to thier state constitutions, can the US Supreme Court override it as unconstitutional (as in the US Constitution) to do so? Or would another amendment in the US Constitution override?

Should be interesting if any of the current USSC Justices choose to retire during the upcoming administration...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:38 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Lord Traxor wrote:
Ya, that's the attitude to get folks toh elp out your cause alright. I simply posted that if they can prove its a right then the argument will fly much higher. I didn't say It wasn't a right or anything like that. And comparing Sexual discrimination to Racial Discrimination is always a bit flimsy. A lot of you have too much emotion involved in this to be rational.
Yeah, there is so much more reason to ban homosexual marriage than there was to ban interracial marriage. Oh wait, no there isn't.

You cannot prove that something is or is not a right unless the constitution has said as much, or until a court rules that it is right. It *should* be common sense though. If your only reason for not approving it is for religious or morale reasons, then that's a pretty good reason to not try to stop people from doing it.

As for people getting emotionally involved, damn straight. I wish that everyone got emotionally involved any time it came to rights (not going to argue this one) being eroded or denied.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:39 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Supreme Court can absolutely declare parts of a state Constitution unconstitutional.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:29 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
bawpinawlahrown wrote:
And if they can get >50% of the voters to agree to adding it as an amendment to the state constitution...yep. Quite frankly, then that would be what a majority of the voting population wanted. We all know that's not likely however.

The big question in my mind now that CA and FL have added (or will be adding) this to thier state constitutions, can the US Supreme Court override it as unconstitutional (as in the US Constitution) to do so? Or would another amendment in the US Constitution override?

Should be interesting if any of the current USSC Justices choose to retire during the upcoming administration...

The US Constitution supersedes any state constitution. However, thanks to the 10th Amendment, that powers not granted to the National government nor prohibited to the states are reserved to the states and to the people.

As for the Justices that probably will retire during the Obama administration:
John Paul Stevens (born 1920, nominated by Ford)
Ruth Bader Ginsburg (born 1933, nominated by Clinton)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:45 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Looking forward to Obama's SC picks. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:07 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
And comparing Sexual discrimination to Racial Discrimination is always a bit flimsy.

From my little "Gay marriage 101" post about 4 years ago :p

Quote:
You can’t compare the gay rights movement to the black civil rights movement. They aren’t even remotely the same thing.

Oh, really? Martin Luther King’s ally, Bayard Rustin, the major architect behind the 1963 march on Washington didn’t think so when he declared that how a country treated its gay and lesbian population was now “the barometer for human rights.” Somehow I think he’d have a better idea, compared to some of you armchair warriors, of how applicable it is to compare the gay/lesbian struggle for rights to the racial ones of this country once upon a time.

There are some of you with your l33t google skillz that will point out Bayard Rustin was gay, as if that somehow discounts his observations. I’ll simply point out that it makes him all the more qualified to compare the injustices done against the minorities in question by the tyranny of the majority, because he’s lived with them both.

Or if that is simply too serious for you. Here's a youtube.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:29 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

SurcamStances wrote:
Looking forward to Obama's SC picks. :)

Kathleen Sullivan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:57 AM 

Quote:
If the State of Ca has a right to recognize whom they allow to operate motor vehicles, then it is only reasonable to allow a state to recognize who can marry by its laws.

Establishing whether Marriage is a right or a privilege will be fundamental to determining if anything is being violated is all I'm saying. It seems a lot are assuming it's a right.

The requirements for getting a driver's license are very specific, and based on actual dangers to society. Bad eyesight? That could kill someone. Color of skin? Nope. Sexual orientation? Nope.

I personally believe it is a right for those who meet the basic, real-world reasonable, non-discriminatory requirements. A requirement like the age of consent is reasonable for obvious reasons.

It's not as if basic rights like freedom of speech don't have basic requirements and reasonable limitations either(i.e. disturbing the peace, treason, etc). We don't look at race or sexual orientation there, and there's no reason to look at it elsewhere either when we're talking about the state.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:00 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Tarot wrote:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Quote:
Any man can survive adversity; to test a man's character, give him power.

--Abraham Lincoln
It's all context, really.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:58 AM 

Arguably that IS adversity. Depends on the situation, but that sounds like challenge and controversy to me =p Now if a person had absolute power, sure.

Both of those quotes make sense(though I'm a little hesitant to say that all people are capable of meeting adversity as easily as the next person). Lincoln speaks of people abusing power, while MLK speaks of a potential selfishness on the part of a person when things are not going their way. Both are questions of character.

The question with regard to Lincoln's quote as compared to MLK's is not whether a person can overcome adversity, but how they handle it.

I prefer an extension of MLK's quote: "The true neighbor will risk his position and even his life for the welfare of others". Can't find an exact source for that but it's etched on the plaque of the MLK memorial park in Seattle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:59 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Hopefully the courts will show that rights of minorities cannot be left to the whims of the majority:

Quote:
(CNN) -- California's Supreme Court said Wednesday that it will hear the appeal of a challenge to Proposition 8, a voter-approved measure outlawing same-sex marriage.

California's voter-approved measure banning same-sex marriage has sparked protests throughout the state.

In a written statement, the court said it will not block the implementation or enforcement of the law in the meantime.

Proposition 8 passed with about 52.5 percent of the vote, making California one of several states to ban same-sex marriage in the November 4 elections.

But unlike the other states, California had already been issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples since May, after a state Supreme Court ruling legalized the unions.

The American Civil Liberties Union, Lambda Legal and the National Center for Lesbian Rights filed legal challenges to the vote, asking the high court to rule the ballot-initiative process was "improperly used" to strip away a right protected by the state constitution. iReport.com: Share your view on same-sex marriage

The court said arguments in the case could be heard as early as March.

In its May 15 ruling legalizing same-sex marriage in California, the justices seemed to signal that a ballot initiative like Proposition 8 might not be enough to change the underlying constitutional issues of the case in the court's eyes.

The ruling said the right to marry is among a set of basic human rights "so integral to an individual's liberty and personal autonomy that they may not be eliminated or abrogated by the legislature or by the electorate through the statutory initiative process."

In the hours after the proposition's apparent passage, thousands of protesters took to the streets of Los Angeles and other cities across California in protest.

Observances in support of same-sex marriage were held in cities across the country Saturday.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:13 AM 

Not that I oppose the courts doing it, but that's really going to cause a massive political firestorm the likes of which we may not have seen for a while. Prop 8 really popularized the issue in a way we haven't seen in recent memory, so I personally believe the reprecussions' from BOTH sides actions will be equally fierce.

I just wish there were some other way of fixing that situation, I don't see it though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:57 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

It can be done, just seperate the two words. States will issue civil licenses to all couples straight or gay, marriages will be performed in churches. Everyone will then be happy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:18 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

That's been put forward as a suggestion, and it definitely did not make those who believe that marriage should exist solely between one man and one woman happy.

Despite their lack of argument for it, many people adamantly believe that non-traditional marriages harm families, and the nation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:45 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
it definitely did not make those who believe that marriage should exist solely between one man and one woman happy

And in so doing, highlights their ACTUAL issue. They don't actually care about the word marriage. They care about anything on the books that legitimizes gay relationships. If they truly were concerned about "marriage", they should have quite happily supported "Civil Unions" in the various states that pushed them forward a few years back....but did they? No. They fought them tooth and nail. What is at battle isn't a "word", it is something else entirely.

And on another note, but related. A really good blog post I read today.

http://holybulliesandheadlessmonsters.b ... about.html

Quote:
Message to the religious right - this isn't just about marriage, it's about history

I keep hearing all of this nonsense about us lgbts attacking people, about us using intimidation and violence to oppress people, about us somehow being ugly aggressors.

Newt Gingrich (who wrote the book on deceptive messaging during his tenure in the U.S. House of Representatives) actually accused us of being "secular fascists."

Gingrich's attack on us seem to be the prevailing theme with those on the other side of the Proposition 8 argument.

And I think there needs to be some historical perspective on this matter.

True, Proposition 8 has galvanized our community. We have become a bit more politically engaged in our anger. That is a good thing.

However, any display of violence on either side of the argument should never be tolerated.

Nor should letting the religious right frame the moment.

I have a few questions to people like Newt Gingrich, Bill O’Reilly, Chuck Norris, Gary Bauer, Peter LaBarbera and the rest who are trying to push this "gay intimidation" image.

Where were you in the late 1970s when Anita Bryant accused us of trying to “recruit” children?

Where were you in 1983 when Paul Cameron accused gay men of stuffing gerbils up our rectums and castrating children? Or afterwards when he went from state to state pushing his phony research papers all designed to make us the boogiemen of American society?

Where were you when Jerry Falwell exploited the AIDS crisis to generate more money for the Moral Majority? Or when those dying of AIDS were cast out of their communities and excommunicated from their churches?

Where were you when Colorado passed that law in 1992 that basically said cities in the state had absolutely no right to protect gays and lesbians from discrimination?

Where were you when over the course of 20 years all of those phony “pro-family” groups told lies in front of federal and congressional state houses in attempts to beat back pro-gay laws or spread discredited research that gave “upstanding, moral” families the perfect excuse to put their gay sons and daughters out on the cold streets?

Where were you when organizations like Concerned Women for America, the Family Research Council, the Traditional Values Coalition, and Focus on the Family unconsciously gave reasoning for groups of roaming thugs to bash our heads in, chase us out in heavy traffic, beat us to bloody pulps with nail embedded boards, and hang us from fences on dark and lonely roads?

How is it that you can dare call us aggressive when for over 30 years, you have done everything in your power to make America hate and fear us?

How it is that you can dare infer that we don't have a right to get just a tad angry when for over 30 years, you have done everything in your power to make us hate and fear ourselves?

Every lie, every indignity, every attempt to dehumanize the lgbt community has brought us to this point. The Proposition 8 vote was the last straw in a chain of indignities that stretch as long as Jacob's ladder.

This ain’t just about marriage. Nor is this a single moment in time.

We are not the aggressors. We are learning to fight back.

When I was coming out, it wasn’t the fact that I was gay that bothered me more than the knowledge that so many had already written my life for me; told me who I was, what I liked, what I didn’t like, and even where I was going after I died.

Worst of all, they had the nerve to tell me that I had absolutely no rights to the words "values," "family," "tradition," or "honor."

And you know what the saddest thing about this is? I was not alone. Hundreds of thousands of lgbts went through the same experience. It was our "rite of passage."

So while I may not have a media spin machine behind me and therefore very few will give a damn about what I say, while I may not be a member of a religious think tank who is presently working to use this moment to again dehumanize lgbts, and while I may not be considered as a "leading gay talking head," I am an American, a human being, and a child of God.

Therefore, I will never forget what has brought me to this point of outrage.

And I will do my best to make sure that this country never forgets either.

Lastly, I will do my best to make sure that YOU never forget.

Indeed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:59 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Seems to me one way this should be attacked is as a separation of church and state argument.

Marriage is a religious institution recognized by govt.

Some churches support gay marriage - the bible being open to interpretation and all.

Therefore, the govt. should not interfere with it.

Shit, use religion against the religious fuckers trying to impede gay rights.

Speaking of marriage and church/state, what ever happened with that compound of polygamists?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:19 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
The children were returned because the government had no grounds to seize the children.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:08 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Putting aside the issue of gay marriage:

I am very uneasy about the courts overturning votes and setting their own rules, if you eventually get the wrong group in power a lot of bad things can come from this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:17 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

The courts are supposed to overturn unconstitutional laws.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:53 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
I am very uneasy about the courts overturning votes and setting their own rules, if you eventually get the wrong group in power a lot of bad things can come from this.

You've been drinking the koolaid. This is not "activist" judicial action. This is the courts performing their functions. READ about some of the historic court decisions involving protecting minorities against the mob rule of popular opinion. Any argument down the line you laid out above is the same as saying you think cases like Brown vs. the Board of Education or Loving vs. Virginia should never have happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_v._B ... _Education

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:52 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Yah, that's part of the job of courts.

"Democracy" doesn't just mean that if you get enough people you can get anything you want. THAT is the unsettling possibility.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:08 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

DraagunSoulstealer wrote:
Marriage is a religious institution recognized by govt.

This belief, which many people hold, is part of the problem. Marriage is NOT a religious institution recognized by govt., it IS a government institution which govt allows the church to officiate. No church marriage is recognized by our government without the proper license. It IS a government institution and as such should be seen as completely seperate from any religious bullshit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:35 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
If it isn't religious then there should be a set of reasons why it should not be allowed (no mentioning of the bible permitted!)

What are the reasons it is not recognized by govt.?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:15 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Yah, that's part of the job of courts.

"Democracy" doesn't just mean that if you get enough people you can get anything you want. THAT is the unsettling possibility.

point taken.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:30 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Kulamiena wrote:
This belief, which many people hold, is part of the problem. Marriage is NOT a religious institution recognized by govt., it IS a government institution which govt allows the church to officiate. No church marriage is recognized by our government without the proper license. It IS a government institution and as such should be seen as completely seperate from any religious bullshit.

What is the government doing telling a church who they can and can not marry? If a church wanted to marry a homosexual couple there is nothing the state could do besides not recognizing it. Also, we have a slight separation of church and state issue with having the church subsidize the government by performing the service.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:53 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Karthun wrote:
What is the government doing telling a church who they can and can not marry? If a church wanted to marry a homosexual couple there is nothing the state could do besides not recognizing it. Also, we have a slight separation of church and state issue with having the church subsidize the government by performing the service.

That is exactly my point Karthun. Any church can marry any couple or group but for that marriage to be recognized it must have been initiated by getting a license from the state. The church doesn't have a damn thing to do with the official definition of marriage and shouldn't be involved in any discussion of what marriages should or should not be recognized.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:13 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Looks like the gay community has figured out that "outing" has more applications than one. The thread following savage's post is rather interesting to follow.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archiv ... ately_held

But ultimately, I do agree with Dan on one point:

Quote:
In the wake of Prop 8 millions of gays and lesbians all over the country have decided that we're no longer going to play by the old rules. We're not going to let people kick our teeth down our throats and then run and hide behind "Nothing personal—just my private religious beliefs!" That game's over.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:57 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

DraagunSoulstealer wrote:
If it isn't religious then there should be a set of reasons why it should not be allowed (no mentioning of the bible permitted!)

What are the reasons it is not recognized by govt.?
I have not read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has been covered. And I am not saying this is my position. But....

Ultimately, the anti-gay marriage position boils down to this:
The United States was founded on Judeo-Christian ethics and gay marriage violates one of the core facets of that ethic.

As a result, those people feel this violates the integrity of society and lowers the overall quality of life. As a result, the government does not recognize it.

Me personally, I think marriage as a recognize legal institution has a whole slew of problems and should be revamped (regardless of the gay issue). But that's here-nor-there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:26 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
The problem with that view is that the US was not founded on a specific religious ethos at all. Sure, it borrowed from the 10 Commandments, but also from the Codes of Hammurabi, and just plain common sense. The founders tried very hard to keep religious reasoning out of the Constitution. It is the latest waves of hyper-intolerance that have retconned our founding fathers into all being devoted evangelists.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:30 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Since the 10 Commandments also borrowed from Hammy's Code, I don't know if that's a redundant point or not. How could they borrow from the 10 Commandments without borrowing from the Code? :)

Anyway, I think that the answer is somewhere in the middle in terms of "how religious were the founding fathers." Non-religious people try to paint them all as theists at most, while religious evangelicals try to paint them as all evangelicals.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:18 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Damn, gay marriage has been legal here for like 5 years now. Totally off the radar.

It's a piece of paper that puts into de jure what is already de facto, and nobody gives a shit anymore. You never hear about it.

It'll be nice when you guys manage to move past these silly social values fights, they're a huge distraction from things that actually matter and are a cancer on the political dialogue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:01 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Syuni,

The founding fathers were probably fairly similar to our politicians today - conveniently religious. I'm sure some were very devout, and I'm sure some simply faked it.

But, the US was founded on general Christian principles.
That is not saying "we are Christians and that's that." No - not saying that at all. But it is a hump the gay right movement has to overcome.

I really don't have a point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:04 AM 

Several of the founding fathers were also slave owners. That doesn't mean that we were specifically founded on slave-holding values. The emphasis within the constitution(and indeed the Declaration of Independence) on freedom, and arguably equality was not really compatible(IMO) with slave-holding, nor does it really fit with barring gay rights. The only hump we need to get over is with the people in general, not the government's founding traditions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:04 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

The points of the constitution that transcend everyday life are the points that matter. Freedom and equality are essential bases for any democratic society. What equality actually -is- will change over time, as new tests for equality arise, and they will require adjustment to conform to. But unjustified discrimination is...well, unjustified. Stop persecuting people for being who they are.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:09 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Hi stupid fuck :)

This is why you are stupid:
Venen wrote:
Several of the founding fathers were also slave owners. That doesn't mean that we were specifically founded on slave-holding values. The emphasis within the constitution(and indeed the Declaration of Independence) on freedom, and arguably equality was not really compatible(IMO) with slave-holding, nor does it really fit with barring gay rights. The only hump we need to get over is with the people in general, not the government's founding traditions.

1 post before, wrote essentially the same thing:
Orme wrote:
But, the US was founded on general Christian principles.
That is not saying "we are Christians and that's that." No - not saying that at all. But it is a hump the gay right movement has to overcome.

Just in case you wanted another example, now you have it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:27 PM 

Contrast your suggestion that the US was founded on Christian principles with my suggestion via analogy that it's rather hard to suggest we were founded on something merely because the founding fathers held some religious beliefs.

The hump to get over is not because the country was formed in one way or another. It is because of the sheer fact that we happen to have a large segment of the population that's religious. The country did not magically become host to millions of Christians simply because of how the country was founded. Nor did the country gain a 5 percent population of people with freckles because 5 percent of the founding fathers had freckles.

Little bit of a difference there, hope I spelled it out for you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:51 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

From the skycrasher thread:
Orme wrote:
You are like that annoying guy in the meeting who simply has to say SOMETHING - even if the point had been covered ad naseum. This is why you're not worth debating - you do this on virtually every discussion. You make no effort (or simply do not have the capacity) to read what was posted before you and make semi-intelligible responses. Instead, you spew forth your psuedo-intellectual tripe and chap your hands applauding your own wit.
For someone who tries so hard to appear intellectual, you would think you would grasp this simple concept.

Splitting Hairs != Debate

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:08 PM 

I tend to think of the difference between the country being founded on Christian principles to be a bit more than splitting hairs.

Either way I'm flattered that you think I'm even pretending to be intellectual. I honestly barely give my manner of speaking a second thought.

Offline Profile