It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:23 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Josh Lyman for Chief of Staff, Toby Ziegler for Communications Director, the rest will work itself out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:37 AM 
What does this button do?

Having the sign that say president elect is like something a 7rd grade class would do. It was silly, and not in a good way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:15 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

joxur wrote:
Welcome to the next 4 years. We'll enter that ridiculous stretch as formal asterisk #1.

I look forward to 4 years of your bitter, bitter tears.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:35 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Guurn wrote:
Having the sign that say president elect is like something a 7rd grade class would do. It was silly, and not in a good way.

Can't help but notice you bumped it up from 3rd to 7th. I for one think that's a real interesting distinction!

http://boxrockssocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:08 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I don't understand the reference. Did Nancy hold a seance to reach Ronnie?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:22 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Guurn wrote:

Too bad it's an actual office, and he needs to make the distinction because the -crazy- republicans will try to blame everything from now until Jan 20th on him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:23 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Given the context (Such a useful anti-pundit tool) I'm sure he was simply using the "seance" comment as a way of including Reagan in the group of ex-presidents he was talking about.

Thinking it was an insult, given the context, is silly.

And yes, President-Elect is the official title. It's not like he put, "Office of the Guy Who Beat McCain" on the sign.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:37 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Stumbled across this and thought it was interesting.

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2008/11/07/obama ... ees/?wh=wh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:13 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I like how the majority of replies to that things are things like, "zomg ethics, how dumb!!!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:02 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
Well he did apologize, so he knew it was inappropriate. Not the biggest deal though, I found his speaking to be a little rambled and rushed though. He whipped out that Nancy comment to overshadow his previous sentence.

"Uh...I've met with all the, Uh... ex-President's....the, Uh...live ones.....obviously.....<insert Nancy shock joke here>."

That about 80% accurate as I'm not a die hard Obama hater who will have exact quotes to piss on him etc. It was just really kinda lame hearing him sound so uncoordinated w/o a teleprompter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:13 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Given the context (Such a useful anti-pundit tool) I'm sure he was simply using the "seance" comment as a way of including Reagan in the group of ex-presidents he was talking about.

No, I saw the footage and it wasn't. He was refering to Nancy Reagan's heavy involvement and belief in astrology.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:53 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Yea, Bovinity put it in better words than I managed. That pretty much sums it up: Context.

And Traxor, people apologize all the time for things that they didn't INTEND to be harmful, or may not have even been harmful in context. If there's any chance of a person being offended, often people will apologize just to be sure. In some circumstances, such as high public office, people will apologize just to clear up perception to the public.

Anyhoo... I prefer Obama's thoughtful "Uh's" to Bush's constant mispronunciations, grammatical nightmares, and general misspeakings. "You don't get fooled again!".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:50 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Venen wrote:
"You don't get fooled again!".

Hate to break it to you but you just elected a Democrat Bush

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:10 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/ ... 6410.shtml

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:57 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Comments are teh funny (not funny haha)
"Fvcking zionist jews are the root cause of all the ills of the world......time of reckoning is coming for neocons and the jewbermans ...."

There isn't an emoticon sufficient.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:44 PM 
Bridge Dweller

krby71 wrote:
Venen wrote:
"You don't get fooled again!".

Hate to break it to you but you just elected a Democrat Bush

lol, jaded / bitter

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:25 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

I notice you call all Obama non-supporters Bitter and such. Surely you don't assume everyone who didn't hop on the bandwagon is ignorant/bitter. There was around 55 million Americans who voted against Obama mind you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:27 AM 

And you wouldn't call those 55 million people bandwagoners, either. No no, those are simply the intelligent objective people voting on the issues who "WEREN'T FOOLED!!!!" by Obama.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

I do know a lot of folks who voted for McCain simply voted for him to keep Obama out. They weren't in blind love with him as I see many Obama folk seem to be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:07 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Lord Traxor wrote:
I do know a lot of folks who voted for McCain simply voted for him to keep Obama out. They weren't in blind love with him as I see many Obama folk seem to be.

I don't think it's that uncommon for people to vote against someone, rather than for someone. There are quite a few people who've said they voted for Obama purely to keep Palin out.

I obviously voted for Obama as I have said more than once previously. I wouldn't have been too upset with a McCain win if not for Palin. I don't think McCain would have been a horrible President or the end of the world. I don't think he would have been a 'great' President...but certainly I always believed him to be better than Bush (who didn't?).

But the idea of Palin potentially being President scared the shit out of me. And I'm faaaaar from the only one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:10 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I notice Joxur is going to completely ignore the two articles posted here dealing with ethics reform and the repealing of Bush era failures-- but I'm sure he'll post the second any right wing pundit finds some way to twist something he says into something evil.

Let's hear it, Joxur!

Trax, I read rather quickly and may be incorrect, but I think the bitter comments around here will pretty much just be directed at our friend Joxur.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:37 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I sadly don't see anything in either article that I was hoping would be at the top of the list: Closing Guantanamo and reestablishing checks & balances in our federal government's branches. The plan to direct how the Big 3 automakers conduct business (even though it IS justified by their failure) worries me; it is government control of business in every sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:42 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
The idea that Guantanamo detainees will be transported to the US for trial is also concerning. They're supposed to be held over for trial or deportation by the Iraqi/Afghani authority, and do not belong in our prison system. However they may end up here because handing them over is basically a summary execution.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:49 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I struggle with what is the constitutionally correct thing to do with them. At this point they have been held without any regard to constitutionality for years, it can't continue because every day they remain in this ugly limbo further damages the US in the world's eyes. But, happily, I don't have to figure it out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:43 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Ya know what? I really wish people would stop, take a breath and step back. Obama won the election, the people of this country, well the electoral college spoke, and he is going to be our 44th President. Bitching and moaning about it will do absolutely nothing to change it.

I for one am going to stand by the President Elect as after Jan 20th he will be MY president and give him a chance to prove/disprove himself to me. I just hope that people in the Republican party won't go off the deep end like so many Democrats did and start putting "Not my President" and "Don't blame me, I voted NObama" bumper stickers on their cars.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:50 AM 

Quote:
I for one am going to stand by the President Elect as after Jan 20th he will be MY president and give him a chance to prove/disprove himself to me.

QFT

I am, however, going to watch this administration just as close as I would any other and if/when they mess some things up, like every administration does, I will say something. Not SEE I TIOLD YOU SO, but something nonetheless.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:04 AM 

Not a bad idea, Khan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:27 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

EQ1: Cucullin McFury
Khan pretty much hit it dead on. Next step is we the people need to remind our senate and congress that they serve the people not there respective political parties. We need our government to take a deep breath and remember why they got elected. We the people deserve much better than we have received in the past 10 years from our elected officials.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:04 AM 

Cucullin wrote:
Next step is we the people need to remind our senate and congress that they serve the people not there respective political parties.

Yeah, right... For those that are in power, bi-partisianship means that those who are not in the majority shut up and vote with the majority.

Pelosi/Reed are about to undertake the greatest power-grab we have seen.

The things that I have seen that are troubling to me are:
* Government takeover of 401K/IRA accounts (bad bad bad)
* Another "bail-out" (Handout) but this time for the Auto industry
* speeding up increasing the top tax rates (for people making over $150k)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:10 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Hell, AIG is going to the trough for another 150 billion, I sure as hell hope that we still have a couple of cents left in the Treasury whrn Obama gets sworn in in Jan. Maybe some of this nonsense will stop but I am not very hopeful, just more politics as usual.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:17 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Xkhanx wrote:
Obama won the election, the people of this country, well the electoral college spoke, and he is going to be our 44th President.

Obama beat the shit out of McCain in the popular vote too. 7% isn't exactly a "small" margin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:27 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Krby: I hadn't seen this: * Government takeover of 401K/IRA accounts (bad bad bad). Where can I find details?

Skycrasher: Do you ever even try to promote anything but division?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:35 AM 

Kula: Some crackpot made a presentation at a congressional hearing proposing that, but it won't go anywhere.

I'll be a bit more of an Obama believer if he keeps Patrick Fitzgerald in his post as US Attorney, as promised.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... 6318.story

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:37 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

aah, thanks Jox.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:39 AM 

Kulamiena wrote:
Krby: I hadn't seen this: * Government takeover of 401K/IRA accounts (bad bad bad). Where can I find details?

First part:
WSJ article
Quote:
If you have a 401(k) or equivalent retirement plan, you've probably been watching nervously the past few weeks as your nest egg has shrunken owing to the current turmoil in the markets.

Well, it could be worse. But don't take heart, for what we mean is it could get worse. The market turmoil has some politicians on Capitol Hill eyeing the end of the 401(k) as we know it. Workforce Management reports on a hearing of the House Education and Labor Committee earlier this month:

A plan by Teresa Ghilarducci, professor of economic-policy analysis at the New School for Social Research in New York, contains elements that are being considered. . . .

Under Ghilarducci's plan, all workers would receive a $600 annual inflation-adjusted subsidy from the U.S. government but would be required to invest 5 percent of their pay into a guaranteed retirement account administered by the Social Security Administration. The money in turn would be invested in special government bonds that would pay 3 percent a year, adjusted for inflation.

The current system of providing tax breaks on 401(k) contributions and earnings would be eliminated.

"I want to stop the federal subsidy of 401(k)s," Ghilarducci said in an interview. "401(k)s can continue to exist, but they won't have the benefit of the subsidy of the tax break."

Ghilarducci outlined her plan last year in a paper for the Economic Policy Institute, in which she acknowledges that her plan would amount to a tax increase on workers making more than $75,000--considerably less than the $250,000 Barack Obama has said would be his tax-hike cutoff. In addition, workers would be able to pass on only half of their account balances to their heirs; presumably the government would seize the remaining half. (Under current law, 401(k) balances are fully heritable, although they are subject to the income tax.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:41 AM 

Here's the link if you want to check for yourself. Dunno what the fuck the Carolina Journal is but that's what came up on teh Google.

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusiv ... ounts.html

Now, I will say that Congress did allow this person to make a presentation. Presumably they knew what she was going to talk about, so it's not completely insignificant. It just won't happen.

Quote:
The testimony of Teresa Ghilarducci, professor of economic policy analysis at the New School for Social Research in New York, in hearings Oct. 7 drew the most attention and criticism. Testifying for the House Committee on Education and Labor, Ghilarducci proposed that the government eliminate tax breaks for 401(k) and similar retirement accounts, such as IRAs, and confiscate workers’ retirement plan accounts and convert them to universal Guaranteed Retirement Accounts (GRAs) managed by the Social Security Administration.

Offline Profile  

Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

That is incredibly scary, Krby.

Offline Profile  

<hit submit too soon>
There was another plan to take the 401K and mutual funds out of the stock market, give each person around $600 and then put it in a federal account with a 3% return, indexed to inflation, making a super Social Security Trust Fund.

I will get that article.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:52 AM 

Quote:
Obama beat the shit out of McCain in the popular vote too. 7% isn't exactly a "small" margin.

Regardless, the "Popular Vote" doesn't mean shit and doesn't elect the president.

Oh, and BTW, where was your landslide? 7% is hardly a mandate. Hell, Clinton had better numbers in 1996. A landslide/mandate is 58% to 40% popular / 525-13 Electoral College. Which is what we (Republicans) had in 1980 and will have again in 2012.

But for now, we have PE Obama. Lets see what he can do before you begin entering him in the Presidential Hall of Fame...

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:08 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Ok, I've gotta ask. Who in the Republican Party would run and actually have a hope of getting those numbers?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:26 PM 

It seriously depends on the Job Obama does. There are several Governors out there who could fit the bill.

3 Years is a long time for someone to make it to the forefront and stand out. 4 years ago no one outside of Chicago even knew the name Obama.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:32 PM 

Take for example, Mitch Daniels, Gov of Indiana. Indiana voted Obama but still re-elected Mitch 57.8% to 40%. Chances are he won't run, but he is a good example of a viable candidate.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:37 PM 

Pawlenty perhaps. Wracking my brain for young GOPers.

I expect the GOP is about to undergo the same sort of transformation that you saw the Dems do - none of the old guard will suffice, they'll have to find some new people that can appeal to old fiscal conservatism (which appeals to me) without the relying only on the social / religious angle (which does not).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:19 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Xkhanx wrote:
Quote:

Regardless, the "Popular Vote" doesn't mean shit and doesn't elect the president.

Oh, and BTW, where was your landslide? 7% is hardly a mandate. Hell, Clinton had better numbers in 1996. A landslide/mandate is 58% to 40% popular / 525-13 Electoral College. Which is what we (Republicans) had in 1980 and will have again in 2012.

But for now, we have PE Obama. Lets see what he can do before you begin entering him in the Presidential Hall of Fame...

Obama blew McCain out in the EC and 7% is nothing to scoff at in the PV.

Obama will be a 2-term President. No further discussion necessary. ;) Wait and see! I was right this time! I'll be right again in 2012!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:56 PM 

Quote:
xskycrasherx 1/16/07 wrote:
He's not going to have a fucking shot. You've got to be kidding me. He'll be another spoiler just like Nader, Perot, and all those other fuckheads.

Quote:
Wait and see! I was right this time! I'll be right again in 2012!

That was just too easy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:21 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Quote:
Pawlenty perhaps. Wracking my brain for young GOPers.

Bobby Jindal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:24 PM 

Skycrasher you are fucking stupid. 364/174 is not a blowout. As a mater of fact, other than GWB , Carter, Kennedy and Truman that doesn't beat any of the elections since Waren Harding in 1920, lol. Maybe go do a little research. Blowout is 520/17, 489/49, 525/13 or 486/52.

Your blind cheerleader act is getting tiresome man.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:35 PM 

EQ1: Wakkagud Ondahed
WoW: Slaaneshi
Eve Online Handle: Ackbarre
He's got Obamas dick so deep in his mouth. I'm truly surprised he can actually speak clearly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:39 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Dear Skycrasher,

Thank you for your support. Now shut up. You're making my side look bad.

Love,

Barack Obama

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:59 PM 

lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:02 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Obama won twice as many EC votes as McCain did. That's a blowout in my book.

Guurn, nice 2 year old quote. I wasn't an Obama supporter then obviously. I started coming around not too long after that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:08 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Guurn wrote:
Quote:
xskycrasherx 1/16/07 wrote:
He's not going to have a fucking shot. You've got to be kidding me. He'll be another spoiler just like Nader, Perot, and all those other fuckheads.

Quote:
Wait and see! I was right this time! I'll be right again in 2012!

That was just too easy.

/gasp

SOMEONE WAS WRONG ON THE INTERNET!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:38 PM 

Quote:
Obama won twice as many EC votes as McCain did. That's a blowout in my book.

What was I thinking. I forgot you're a cowboys fan and cowboys fans think a 3 point win is a blowout.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:58 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Xantheus Diabolus wrote:
Bobby Jindal

He's one scary mother fucker. There's no way in hell he'd be elected, much less win with a mandate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:14 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

2004 was considered a mandate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:32 PM 
Bridge Dweller

In basketball, 85 to 115 is considered a blowout.
In football, a 0-21 game is considered a blowout.

In Politics, namely the Presidency, double the EC vote of the opponent is a blowout.

Fuckhead.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:07 PM 

IMO Skycrasher is correct that it was a blowout under current political conditions. You can bring up elections 20+ years ago, but the politicial playing field was completely different. Today, we have a VERY split voting population, almost 50/50 down the middle(as we have seen in the LAST two elections). The fact that he won the Republican states of Indiana, Virginia, and NC are evidence of it. Now, it's not entirely Obama's doing.. obviously people were simply fed up of the current leadership and wanted something different. But still, in my book compared to the last two elections, it's a blowout. It's pretty hard to compare two completely different political landscapes from 20-30 years ago or more. Innumerable things, even outside of politics, have changed since then - that includes the electoral map.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:57 PM 

Let me see, the economy is in the crapper and the current administration is downright hated. McCain was a horrible candidate and ran an even worse campaign. It SHOULD have been a blowout. I'm talking 450+ EC votes. It wasn't.

Obama's winning of Virginia was the result of very high Democrat turnout in three counties that border Washington DC. Even the CNN analyst indicated this. The rest of the state was just as red but the three counties around DC went from Red to Blue making the state turn.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:13 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Rationalize it however you want, it is generally regarded by most Americans and the media as being a blowout.

You're in the minority bud.

PS: A lot say McCain was the best candidate that could have been fielded for the GOP, he just sucked at running campaigns and was too negative. In addition to that, Americans said that he clearly wasn't the man for the job. That's why he lost.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:40 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I think you guys are hashing over the definition of a blow-out or whatever. Obama's win was not a crushing victory, but we can all agree that it was "decisive", right?

This is the most decisive victory in 20 years. Think about it - for 3 elections the president did not win a majority of the votes (92,96,00). Last election, he barely eeked by.

Whether it was McCain or Obama, I am just glad to see a strong winner.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next