It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:15 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:25 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

So I have a few conservative co-workers and friends that send me these right wing email forwards, and more often than not the supposed creator of the email doesn't actually exist, or the article they're citing(and not linking) was never actually written. Etc, etc. I often use snopes.com as an easy quick way to debunk it.

But today I've gotten the email forward that takes away my easy response method. :(

Quote:
Here's why Snopes usually says that none of the bad things are ever true about Obama. I suspected it all along, but here's an e-mail from someone who took time to do some research. Now we know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check Snopes out.

I have suspected some problems with snopes for some time now, but I have only caught them in half-truths. If there is any subjectivity they do an immediate full left rudder.
http://www.TruthorFiction.com is the better source for verification,in my opinion. I have recently discovered that Snopes.com is owned by a liberal and this man is in the tank for Obama. There are many things they have listed on their site as a hoax and yet you can go to Youtube yourself and find the video of Obama actually saying these things. So you see, you cannot and should not trust Snopes.com....ever for anything that remotely resembles truth! I don't even trust them to tell me if email chains are hoaxes anymore.

A few conservative speakers on Myspace told me about snopes.com a few months ago and I took it upon myself to do a little research to find out if it was true. Well, I found out for myself that it is true. This website is backing Obama and is covering up for him. They will say anything that makes him look bad is a hoax and they also tell lies on the other side about McCain and Palin.

Anyway just FYI please don't use Snopes.com anymore for fact checking and make your friends aware of their political leanings as well. Many people still think Snopes.com is neutral and they can be trusted as factual. We need to make sure everyone is aware that that is a hoax in itself.

Here's what I have found:

Snopes was created in 1995 by Barbara and David Mikkelson, a California couple who met on the alt.folklore.urban newsgroup. The Mikkelsons also founded the San Fernando Valley
Folklore Society, and were credited as the owners of the site until 2005. Barbara now works on the site full time, while David, a programmer, works on the site part time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fernando_Valley

While I can't prove it, I too am somewhat suspect of their leftward bent given their take (or lack thereof) on several Obama stories. An example is their take on the Obama/Ayers connection as opposed to truthorfiction.com's take on the same subject. Snopes tends to minimize the connection categorizing the rumor as
a 'Partial Truth' while truthorfiction does not downplay the connection at all, calling it a
'Truth', and in fact references a CNN(surprise, surprise) expose of the two, as well as a Wall Street Journal article about their connection. Snopes not only does not reference either source cited above, but instead lists a quote from an Obama spokesman as it's main source(what a spin), leaving one to believe they are mere acquaintances.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/ayers.asp

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/o/obama-ayers.htm

Here's another comparison of Snopes versusTruthorfiction's treatment of the email that has gone out regarding 'Obama's 50 lies'. Notice that Snopes often adds editorial comments favoring Obama on unproven statements, or even on proven ones where they say he is 'taken out of context'.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/50lies.asp

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/o/obama-lies.htm

So that sucks, because I rely heavily on snopes for this shit. Funny as hell that this one tells me I shouldn't trust a website that cites sources and whatnot, but I should sure as hell trust random email forwards!

But what is it with right wingers and bullshit political email forwards? I often find myself in arguments with intelligent conservatives who are spouting off to me "facts" they've learned through some random email forward that in reality is complete bullshit. Why the hell do so many consider these random email forwards as credible? And why don't I ever get ridiculous left wing email forwards? I mean, I get left wing stuff that is supposed to be humorous, but never actual political analysis about a given issue.

So what's up with that? And is there some center somewhere that's continually churning these damn things out? They're never ending!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:28 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

This is easy.. respond with this:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/snopes.htm

;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:39 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

Obviously Truthorfiction has been acquired by snopes!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:55 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

That is so money. Thanks :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:57 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
monocot wrote:
This is easy.. respond with this:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/snopes.htm

;)

OWNED! :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:35 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Heh, right-wing e-mail forwards? Obviously they are providing you with a hostile work environment and you are being harassed!

Seriously, if I got propaganda email spam from either side of the party line I'd be having some face to face time. I set up a spam folder and rules for my own mother (bitch likes to send all kinds of stupid shit my way. Not political, just stupid cutesy shit)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:01 AM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

Hunee wrote:
Obviously Truthorfiction has been acquired by snopes!

:lol:
Might have to start relying on traditional media for information.

I wished it surprised me how many people buy into these hoaxes and then try to sell me on them. It's very disturbing when I think about it.

I get all kinds from both sides, but the left does generate mostly the humorous variety. I'm not sure I should consider the racist 'humor' I've encountered as right-wing. I'm sure I've seen right-wing humor targeted at political figures in my email. It's just very rare. Most all of it I forget in a short period of time if I look at it at all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:19 AM 
Lois Lane!

My father used to get tons of those e-mails (not just political), and he would forward them all on...until I started sending back links (mostly from Snopes) proving them wrong. Now he sends me the e-mails first and asks "is this true?"
Of course, nine out of 10 times, it's not...the most recent factual thing was something about hair bands being made out of condoms in China or something (eww!). The last e-mail he sent me about it was, "The Web site is snopes.com?" so now he's actually doing his own checking.

I really hope he doesn't receive this e-mail. He's extremely conservative (so much that he won't watch movies with some of the more outspoken liberal actors in them, even if he enjoyed the actor before). Thanks for the truthorfiction link about snopes, just in case, though. :p Even with that, however, my dad is suspicious enough (with anything regarding politics) to just say 'to hell with them all.'
Ugh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:29 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
The Republican Party of Florida canvassed my church during services this last Sunday, putting in lovely flyers, nicely printed, full of misleading bullshit.
Despite agreeing with said bullshit, Fr. Rooney asked me to call them up and ask if they had permission to enter private property, and if so, from whom, as that kind of permission can cause a church SERIOUS problems.
Needless to say, the congregation is not happy witih it.

(I love my priest. We don't agree on anything regarding politics, but we're always chatting it out.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:05 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I switched from Baptist to Methodist when I moved to ATL. Refreshingly, political messages all but ceased.

Offline Profile