It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:55 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OPEC - assholes.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Man, we need to get off oil. It's like we start to get the shit under control, and then they are trying to turn the screw.

I really think this should be a bigger story.

Quote:
AP
Oil prices plunge, gas prices follow
Friday October 24, 3:46 pm ET
By Mark Williams, AP Business Writer
Oil falls despite OPEC cuts; gasoline costs less than last year for the first time

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Crude prices tumbled Friday and a gallon of gasoline fell below year-ago levels for the first time in 2008, even as OPEC announced a huge production cut in an attempt to halt the declines.

Crude prices have now fallen 56 percent from the highs reached in July, and more than $41 per barrel in just the last month.

Gathered in Vienna, Austria, on Friday to stanch plunging oil prices, OPEC announced it would slash oil production by 1.5 million barrels a day.

Oil prices plunged more than 5 percent.

Investors paid little heed to OPEC attempts to limit supply, instead focusing on global demand as financial markets spiraled downward in Asia, Europe and then the United States.

Light, sweet crude for December delivery fell $3.69 to settle at $64.15 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Prices had fallen as low as $62.85 earlier in the day.

The continuing decline in oil prices, even in the face of OPEC production cuts, only cemented bearish sentiment on the oil market.

"All OPEC confirmed for the market is how weak demand is," oil trader and analyst Stephen Schork said.

Supporting that view was a report released Friday by the U.S. Department of Transportation that showed the largest monthly decline in miles driven in 66 years.

In the month after gas prices peaked at $4.11 per gallon, Americans drove 5.6 percent less, or 15 billion fewer miles, in August 2008 compared with August 2007 -- the biggest single monthly decline since the data was first collected regularly in 1942.

Americans have drastically altered driving habits, if they are driving at all, amid a severe economic downturn. They have cut discretionary trips, and are carpooling and using public transportation more.

A Labor Department report released this month showed that the number of people who have become unemployed over the last year has risen by 2.2 million to 9.5 million.

From November through August, Americans drove 78.1 billion fewer miles than they did over the same 10-month period a year earlier. The decline is most evident in rural interstate travel where travel is down more than 4 percent compared with a 2 percent decline in urban miles traveled, according to the agency.

The Transportation Department said the biggest decline in driving was in Florida where miles traveled fell by 9.7 percent. Driving in the south Atlantic region, including Florida, fell 7.4 percent, the most of any region in the country.

And the latest weekly report from the U.S. Department of Energy shows that demand for crude has fallen in 38 of the past 42 weeks. U.S. demand is down nearly 10 percent during the past four weeks compared with last year.

That has translated into rapidly declining prices at the pump.

On Friday, for the first time this year, the average retail price of gasoline fell below what it was on the same day in 2007.

A gallon of regular gas fell 4 cents overnight to a new national average of $2.78, according to auto club AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and Wright Express. That's nearly a dollar less than what was paid last month and 4 cents below gas prices one year ago on Oct. 24.

Gas prices are off from their July peak by about a third compared with the price of crude, which has been more than halved.

There is a lag between the two prices as oil being traded now will not be delivered until next month. That oil must be refined, or turned into gasoline, and then shipped to filling stations.

As for the oil being priced on markets today, oil traders are increasingly gauging future demand on dour financial markets.

Gasoline prices are all but certain to follow that downward trend.

Fred Rozell, retail pricing director at Oil Price Information Service, said prices have room to drop another 20 to 30 cents.

Schork said he could see oil prices falling to $50 a barrel, even though he believes prices will eventually stabilize between $70 and $90.

"We're still in a hangover from the $150 party," he said.

The decline also has come on the back of a strengthening dollar. Investors often buy commodities like crude oil to hedge against a weakening dollar, and sell those investments when the dollar rebounds.

It also means that nations with rapidly growing economies such as China and India will pay more for fuel, which could force them to cut back.

On Friday, there was ample evidence of global economic volatility.

Wall Street joined world stock markets in a pullback Friday, with the Dow Jones industrials dropping 175 points and all the major indexes falling more than 2 percent.

Japan's Nikkei stock average fell a staggering 9.60 percent. In Europe, Germany's benchmark DAX index was down 7.1 percent, France's CAC40 dropped 5.7 percent while Britain's FTSE 100 sank 6.8 percent after the government said its gross domestic product fell 0.5 percent in the third quarter, putting the country on the brink of recession.

In other Nymex trading, heating oil futures fell 8.32 cents to $1.95 a gallon, while gasoline futures fell 10 cents to $1.47 a gallon. Natural gas for November delivery fell 18 cents to $6.23 per 1,000 cubic feet.

In London, November Brent crude fell $3.87 to $62.05 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange.

AP writers Louise Watt in London, George Jahn in Vienna, Austria, Alex Kennedy in Singapore contributed to this report.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: OPEC - assholes.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:00 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

If people arn't buying the oil then why shouldn't OPEC cut the production?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:03 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

You're right. And that is part of the point. If they aren't maximizing profit from their limited resource, why sell it low? They can cut back prices and get more money at our expense, why not?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:04 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Well I mean far be it from me to defend big business and OPEC but at what point does it change from "cut back prices at the expense of the people" and "trying to stay afloat in an extremely turbulent economic time"? I mean, at this point oil is falling so fast I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner, they almost HAD to do something.

I can think of a thousand times where I personally didn't see the need for OPEC to change their prices/production levels, but this is definitely not one I'm going to criticize too much. I still think fuel prices are going to go down a pretty decent amount anyway, despite this action.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:13 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

when it gets down to 87 cents a gallon for reg. unleaded, they can cut production.

I remember going to a college debate about us invading Iraq. I remember gas being 1.67 a gallon and I said "no way in hell am I going to pay that much for gas".

So, what is a fair price? How much do you think we should pay for a gallon of gas? Cutting production to keep prices high? That's diamond cartel tactics.

You guys may be happy to bend over and take it. I am not.

1.40 a gallon? 2.40? 3.40? 4.40?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:22 AM 

Quote:
That's diamond cartel tactics.

What else do you propose they do with their own resources? How else are they going to keep afloat in a struggling world economy? I'm just looking at options here, I don't see many for them.

Prices are going to go UP, not down, no matter what OPEC does. It's a finite resource. Now, is 5 bucks probably too much, and they're trying to turn too much of a profit with it? Sure, absolutely. But 87 cents is just unrealistic, and frankly 1.67 would be pushing it. People are consuming shitloads of this finite resource every day, and the expectation is that oil will either run out by 2050-2100, or it will be in such short supply that no one will be able to afford it anyway(which is the same thing). So whether OPEC is in charge or not, you aren't going to see what people deem "reasonable" prices any time soon. Not to even mention inflation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:24 AM 

Might seem a little contradictory given my last post about fuel prices going down. Obviously that'd be short term. Hell, it may even last a few months. But the bottom line is that over the long term, prices will steadily rise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:24 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Yeah, 4-5 dollars a gallon might be a little absurd, but you're still living in the past, Draagun. 87 cents is equally as absurd, probably.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:26 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Quote:

I don't think anyone is *happy* to bend over-- but at the same time I totally understand why they would do this.

I completely agree with your "we got to get off of oil" statement.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:27 AM 

Agreed on both counts!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:33 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:

Anywhere else, you apply this same strategy and it is considered "good business practice". The world isn't obligated to give the US cheap gas, and in fact, some places are quite bitter about that behavior in the past (as you will learn the first time you mention gas prices in the US to someone in the UK, heh). They will do what they need to so they can continue to reap the benefits of their limited resource in the growing competition of the world. If we don't like that, we should stop killing off alternatives and find an answer that doesn't depend on them.

It is incredibly frustrating to me that we HAVEN'T done this to date. This is the sort of thing we're supposed to be GOOD at. And if we do find that answer? We can turn around and sell it to others and bring that money back home. It is a win/win for us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:05 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

EQ1: Cucullin McFury
Oil speculators in the US and abroad made a shit load on money and helped to drive up the prices. It was not just OPEC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:14 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

If they are cutting back the supply of a finite resource due to a drop in demand, and that drop in demand is due to decreased consumption, what's the problem? It's standard capitalism at work.

Besides, we're all supposed to be trying to conserve said finite resource so it will last longer. And it looks like its working.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:39 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

DraagunSoulstealer wrote:
You're right. And that is part of the point. If they aren't maximizing profit from their limited resource, why sell it low? They can cut back prices and get more money at our expense, why not?

No, you are missing the point. One one is buying oil. There are tankers on their way from Saudi to the US with no buyers of the oil. Opec needs to cut back. If you own a factory and no one is buying your shit you stop production until they do.

Quote:
Prices are going to go UP, not down, no matter what OPEC does. It's a finite resource. Now, is 5 bucks probably too much, and they're trying to turn too much of a profit with it? Sure, absolutely. But 87 cents is just unrealistic, and frankly 1.67 would be pushing it. People are consuming shitloads of this finite resource every day, and the expectation is that oil will either run out by 2050-2100, or it will be in such short supply that no one will be able to afford it anyway(which is the same thing). So whether OPEC is in charge or not, you aren't going to see what people deem "reasonable" prices any time soon. Not to even mention inflation.

Oil will go up because of demand, not because of supply. We will never "run out" of oil. We will transition to other sources, hopefully renewable, long before then. There is no good that is magically governed by supply sided stupidity. And the sooner we can bury Reagen's failed economic policies with him the better off we all will be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:20 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I think it's funny how a price of less than $100 a barrel is now "unacceptable" according to OPEC... when for the longest time it was nowhere close.

I sincerely believe OPEC is killing the goose who lays the golden eggs.

Between $1-$2, Americans will buy gasoline and never bat an eye.

But, the recent oil spike has definitely woke a lot of people up, and there is no going back unless gas gets down to $1.50 and stays there for a long time, but OPEC does not want that to happen.

Within 10 years, I have to believe our oil imports will drop by 20%, or more. In 20 years, I bet our imports will be 50% or lower.

OPEC is doing us, and the world, a favor by keeping prices high. Gas at $2.50 a gallon is the perfect price. It is annoying and painful to a small extent, but not devastating like $4 gas. That is, it reminds us we have a mission, but doesn't kill us along the way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:46 PM 

Quote:
Oil will go up because of demand, not because of supply. We will never "run out" of oil. We will transition to other sources, hopefully renewable, long before then. There is no good that is magically governed by supply sided stupidity. And the sooner we can bury Reagen's failed economic policies with him the better off we all will be.

That's exactly the same thing, just in different words to make the people who get all crybaby about "OMG IT'S A DOOMSDAY THEORY" a little more comfortable. Demand will go down because supply goes down and price goes up. It's not as if supply means nothing, you're just putting it in terms of demand. For all intents and purposes, at the point where only the rich can afford it, we've run out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:27 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Well, if you are happy with 2.40, then you should be happy with 4.40.. They are just maximizing their profits, after all.

I am actually pretty amazed that nobody really has a problem with it. Well, remember when they cut back production more on us or gas is 6.00 bucks a gallon, you were fine with the market "working itself out".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:17 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
I am actually pretty amazed that nobody really has a problem with it. Well, remember when they cut back production more on us or gas is 6.00 bucks a gallon, you were fine with the market "working itself out".

You realize that in the UK they pay $8-9 per gallon? And that isn't just recently.

Just a little perspective.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly what you think our response should be, since what you've gotten ("this is good business from their side" "we need to get the fuck out of their client list") is clearly inadequate to you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:52 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Good point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:41 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

The UK is also the size of my backyard and a mass public transit system is feasible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:06 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
And it also taxes the fuck out of petroleum.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:25 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Quote:
But, the recent oil spike has definitely woke a lot of people up, and there is no going back unless gas gets down to $1.50 and stays there for a long time, but OPEC does not want that to happen.

I know you've got a background in economics, Orme, so let me bounce this idea off of you.

Of the oil-wealthy nations, those comprising OPEC have the most oil, and hence the most long-term production capacity. Venezuela, Russia, and other oil producers are much closer to exhausting their oil resources. So while the minor oil producers might want to maximize their short-term profits, OPEC is interested in maximizing their profits over the long term.

As such, they want to keep oil prices within a comfortable range -- not too low, of course, but not too high either. If they let prices run too high, they stand the chance of losing a big chunk of their market. The reason there is the direct correlation between the cost of oil and the amount of resources that the US and EU allocate to alternative energy sources and energy efficiency. So if oil prices get too high, as they did this summer, we see a flurry of research in alternative energy (hi T. Boone's wind farms, PHEV's, the Tesla, etc), and a significant decrease in the number of miles folks drive -- as we did this summer.

OPEC wants to protect their market, so they'll modulate production to keep prices in a favorable range. An increase in OPEC supply was behind the current drop in oil prices (partially, anyway -- there are obviously other factors at play, e.g. the Dow and the dollar tanking), and their recent decrease of supply will stabilize oil prices in the $50-70/bbl range. They want to keep us hooked on oil, and (imo) they probably will for at least another 25 years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:23 PM 

If you support a windfall profit tax on oil companies, why are you mad at OPEC?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:22 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I don't (and never have) support windfall profit tax - not sure if that was directed at me or not.

What happens when we piss off this OPEC and they decide to cut us off?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:19 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Venen wrote:
That's exactly the same thing, just in different words to make the people who get all crybaby about "OMG IT'S A DOOMSDAY THEORY" a little more comfortable. Demand will go down because supply goes down and price goes up. It's not as if supply means nothing, you're just putting it in terms of demand. For all intents and purposes, at the point where only the rich can afford it, we've run out.

No it really isnt. As the price of oil goes up, what we consider "oil" expands greatly. Canadian tar sands become viable at $40 per barrel. This would DOUBLE the available amount of oil. Shale becomes viable at $80 per barrel. This doubles tar sands number. Coal gasification jumps in at $120 per barrel doubleing the shale number. At some price point you can take carbon dioxide, water, a shitload of electricity and convert it into simple hydrocarbons. Yes, it is possible to recycle CO2.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/scienc ... index.html

If price stays steady we will have peak oil, but price does not stay steady. Eventually we will come up with a superior product (my money is on phev's with an algae based biofuel) and oil will fall by the wayside like the horse and buggy. That is unless you think peak horseshoe was caused by a lack of supply...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:14 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Vanamar wrote:
And it also taxes the fuck out of petroleum.

And the UK doesn't have the same refining capacity the US does. The UK pays the same per barrel of oil that we do, but taxes and more expensive conversion to gas make the price higher there.

Oil prices are not destined to go up forever. There will come a day when we use much less oil and production will seem massive compared to the demand. I know it seems like it's taking forever to happen, but that is because we're living through the change, and that always makes it seem slower. Look at coal's history.

Full tankers are not docking with no one to buy the oil. Every single barrel produced is sold, just at lower rates right now.

OPEC hates us. Maybe not every member, and maybe hate is too strong a word, but it's close. The only reason OPEC gets concerned about our economy is because we are such huge customers and important to their sales. As the rest of the world develops, expect to see production and pricing change to hurt our economy when it is possible to do so without affecting their income. They can't wait to see us fail. That's not doomsday talk, just how the world works. Look how excited we most were to see the Soviet Union fall apart. People are tired of us being #1, just like Americans are tired of the Yankees and Red Sox (well, non-New Yorkers and NE people that is) dominate in baseball. Let someone else have a turn at #1 is human nature.

OPEC is within their rights to cut production and move prices higher. I am within my rights to think fuck OPEC and their slow initial response to our energy crisis, the joy they've gleaned from it, and the massive amounts of BS they have pulled over the years. Trust me, every helping hand they have ever extended has the middle finger raised on it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:20 AM 

Karthun -

Everything you just said is the exact same thing as running out of oil. Almost all of the alternatives you listed(with the exception of other sources that we're working on perfecting, and may come down in price) are likely to stay expensive enough(due to processes necessary to get them) to the point where we can't necessarily rely on them for the general population. Oil works for the entire world because there is/was so damned much of it. Can those other sources work in the exact same way that oil did? Possibly, but I doubt it.

Even so, that's basically the same thing. If you want to say "crude oil" or just "oil you drill out of the ground", then we're certainly going to run out of that in the same sense I described. We have to look for *alternative sources*, like tar sands, shale, coal gasification. At that point, oil has run out. If we succeed in utilizing those sources, then maybe that will save us from the current oil problem. Right now, they're still not a perfect alternative by any means. Something we can use in the meantime? Perhaps. When those methods are viable as a source of energy that can serve all corners of the world right down to main street, then we can start saying that a mishmash of alternative sources is going to be capable of replacing it.

Quote:
OPEC is within their rights to cut production and move prices higher. I am within my rights to think fuck OPEC and their slow initial response to our energy crisis, the joy they've gleaned from it, and the massive amounts of BS they have pulled over the years. Trust me, every helping hand they have ever extended has the middle finger raised on it.

Not excusing their actions, but I don't think it's as simple as "Why do you hate America and our Freedomz?!?!?!". It's just that in an ironic turn of events, it just so happens that many of the OPEC countries that "hate us" were also on the receiving end of our foreign policy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:36 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Venen wrote:
Everything you just said is the exact same thing as running out of oil. Almost all of the alternatives you listed(with the exception of other sources that we're working on perfecting, and may come down in price) are likely to stay expensive enough(due to processes necessary to get them) to the point where we can't necessarily rely on them for the general population. Oil works for the entire world because there is/was so damned much of it. Can those other sources work in the exact same way that oil did? Possibly, but I doubt it.

Even so, that's basically the same thing. If you want to say "crude oil" or just "oil you drill out of the ground", then we're certainly going to run out of that in the same sense I described. We have to look for *alternative sources*, like tar sands, shale, coal gasification. At that point, oil has run out. If we succeed in utilizing those sources, then maybe that will save us from the current oil problem. Right now, they're still not a perfect alternative by any means. Something we can use in the meantime? Perhaps. When those methods are viable as a source of energy that can serve all corners of the world right down to main street, then we can start saying that a mishmash of alternative sources is going to be capable of replacing it.

We have always looked at alternate sources of oil. Wether it be an alternate source because we want to build another oil well or we start working tar sands. It doesn't matter how we get a hold of a hydrocarbon. There isn't some magical reason why sweet crude oil is the only source of hydrocarbon we can use. There are two major flaws in the supply-side peak-oil-truthers. First off they assume oil supply model at a steady price and second they do not take into account for alternate sources of hydrocarbon then just sweet crude.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:33 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

OPEC is a monopoly, which is the antithesis to capitalistic free markets.
If it was an American organization it would have been dismantled.

"What happens when we piss off this OPEC and they decide to cut us off?"
- WWIII

Likely US, britain vs china/india who will be OPEC's new favorite sons.
We are much better off pushing alternative energy and getting off oil.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:04 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

noojens wrote:
I know you've got a background in economics, Orme, so let me bounce this idea off of you. {snip} OPEC wants to protect their market, so they'll modulate production to keep prices in a favorable range. An increase in OPEC supply was behind the current drop in oil prices (partially, anyway -- there are obviously other factors at play, e.g. the Dow and the dollar tanking), and their recent decrease of supply will stabilize oil prices in the $50-70/bbl range. They want to keep us hooked on oil, and (imo) they probably will for at least another 25 years.

Noojens... I get what you're saying, and honestly I just don't know. I think there is a certainly level of greed and stupidity in OPEC. After a while, you started taking something for granted, and I wonder if that's going on.

I wish I knew... I'd be rich :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:53 PM 

Quote:
OPEC is a monopoly, which is the antithesis to capitalistic free markets.
If it was an American organization it would have been dismantled.

I've always been annoyed by the concept of "monopoly" in terms of capitalism. Basically, if you're TOO successful, you get penalized. If you have a resource that no one else has, you're penalized by being declared a monopoly. At what point does one technically become a monopoly? I have yet to see a solid line drawn at where that point is absolute.

I think it's moot, monopolies will always eventually fail because people will not put up with prices when they rise to a certain point and find alternatives, not to mention technology 99 percent of the time prevails in finding cheaper alternatives. It's inevitable that at some point in the next 100 years, we won't be using oil and thus the monopoly is destroyed. Capitalism remains in tact, and it's hardly the antithesis in that case.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:41 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I dunno, I doubt the internet as we know it wouldn't exist if the phone monopoly hadn't been broken up. I wonder how much further we'd be if we actually had a network infrastructure that wasn't as archaic as it is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:39 PM 

I'd say there are probably other things holding us back from reconstructing better network infrastructure, I'm not sure how much of that you can pin down on the old Bell phone monopoly given how much time we've had to change it.

And maybe there are certain cases where it doesn't work well for capitalism, but I think by and large it's not that much of a hinderance. I think the majority of people just get sand in their vaginas when they see a group with "too much" power.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:28 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Venen wrote:
I've always been annoyed by the concept of "monopoly" in terms of capitalism. Basically, if you're TOO successful, you get penalized. If you have a resource that no one else has, you're penalized by being declared a monopoly. At what point does one technically become a monopoly? I have yet to see a solid line drawn at where that point is absolute.

90% market share is the legal definition of a monopoly, but the general argument is made when a company controls a resource to the degree that it can alter the pricing of that resource without fear of losing market share.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:31 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

Drajeck wrote:
90% market share is the legal definition of a monopoly, but the general argument is made when a company controls a resource to the degree that it can alter the pricing of that resource without fear of losing market share.
Just curious if you have a particular statute in mind here. Title and section number would be nice.

http://boxrockssocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:43 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Arachtivix wrote:
Drajeck wrote:
Just curious if you have a particular statute in mind here. Title and section number would be nice.

Sherman Act, FTC Act and Clayton Act.

Quote:

I think it's moot, monopolies will always eventually fail because people will not put up with prices when they rise to a certain point and find alternatives, not to mention technology 99 percent of the time prevails in finding cheaper alternatives. It's inevitable that at some point in the next 100 years, we won't be using oil and thus the monopoly is destroyed. Capitalism remains in tact, and it's hardly the antithesis in that case.

It is not illegal to have a monopoly, it is illegal to abuse a monopoly by engaging in predatory pricing or by preventing those alternatives from coming to market.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:04 AM 

Glad to hear it's 90 percent and not 85 percent, I'm sure there's an important distinction there.

Further, how do you define predatory pricing or preventing alternative products from entering the market? Shit, businesses do that all the time even when both businesses are around equal size and competitive. I guess you're not allowed to price your own damned products for how much you want to sell them for. Preventing products from entering? You can say you're doing that by making your product too good with too many features.

The entire goal of capitalism is to eliminate or subdue your competition... Jesus. It happens all the time and businesses are stomped on chewed and spit out with or without a monopoly. It's the same freedom that's the engine which drives capitalism.

That's not to say being anti-monopolistic dooms an economy, by all means it doesn't. It can work both ways.

It's just that it strikes me as hypocritical when some of the same people that complain about the government buying out businesses to keep the economy afloat, suggest that it's anti-capitalism, and then turn right around and say that getting rid of monopolies fits right in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:07 AM 

Quote:
The entire goal of capitalism is to eliminate or subdue your competition

Probably too harsh on the language there and I'm sure someone will get nitpicky. What I'm saying here is that it's well within the nature of capitalism for that to happen, and while it's not really the "goal" per say, it's a part of survival of the fittest. If companies were rescued from the trenches every time when another company outperformed them, that's rewarding failure and doesn't help an economy grow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:18 AM 

Karthun wrote:
Sherman Act, FTC Act and Clayton Act.

That's not helpful.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:28 AM 

Here, I'll make it easy for you. Show me where I can type in a title and section here: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/

That's the United States Code. If you're referring to a specific case, I could use a reporter volume number and page citation. It's all out there. So where ever you got your information, you should be able to find it pretty easily.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:29 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Venen wrote:
stuff

Red is consumer surplus, blue is producer surplus, Purpleishpink is consumer surplus that is "stolen" by the monopoly, orange is the consumer surplus that was destroyed by the monopoly, green is the producer surplus that was destroyed by the monopoly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:34 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Arachtivix wrote:
Here, I'll make it easy for you. Show me where I can type in a title and section here: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/

That's the United States Code. If you're referring to a specific case, I could use a reporter volume number and page citation. It's all out there. So where ever you got your information, you should be able to find it pretty easily.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html ... _10_1.html
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html ... _20_I.html

Go at it. I am not going to do your homework for you. You could have looked this up at google or wiki but instead you are a moron.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:41 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Venen wrote:
Probably too harsh on the language there and I'm sure someone will get nitpicky. What I'm saying here is that it's well within the nature of capitalism for that to happen, and while it's not really the "goal" per say, it's a part of survival of the fittest. If companies were rescued from the trenches every time when another company outperformed them, that's rewarding failure and doesn't help an economy grow.

The "goal" of capitalism is to make a profit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:47 AM 

Quote:
Red is consumer surplus, blue is producer surplus, Purpleishpink is consumer surplus that is "stolen" by the monopoly, orange is the consumer surplus that was destroyed by the monopoly, green is the producer surplus that was destroyed by the monopoly.

And where precisely is the color for "lessons learned" from businesses that failed to compete with the "monopoly", as well as those from the "monopoly's" successes and failures, which can potentially end up producing a stronger economy?

Quote:
The "goal" of capitalism is to make a profit.

And as you can see in my correction, goal was precisely the wording that was taken out. Intense competition ensues from working towards that goal and is part of the nature of capitalism, however that competition is not the goal itself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:06 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Venen wrote:
And where precisely is the color for "lessons learned" from businesses that failed to compete with the "monopoly", as well as those from the "monopoly's" successes and failures, which can potentially end up producing a stronger economy?

But no one can compete with a monopoly. There are no lessons learned. You are prevented from ever entering the market. But from the supply sided side, monopolies can be a good thing due to the high amount of producer surplus. But I do not believe in supply sided stupidity. Monopolies artificually reduce the consumer surplus ALONG with the producer surplus. In all cases, both the producers and consumers are worse off under a monopolized market then an "ideal" market.

Quote:
And as you can see in my correction, goal was precisely the wording that was taken out. Intense competition ensues from working towards that goal and is part of the nature of capitalism, however that competition is not the goal itself.

When a section of the market makes an abnormal profit this has more investors looking to profit from this abnormal profit leading to more competition, lower prices and lower profit. Monopolies break down the competition part leaving prices high and a higher profit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:42 AM 

Karthun wrote:
Go at it. I am not going to do your homework for you. You could have looked this up at google or wiki but instead you are a moron.
You don't seem to understand. I have and you are wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:55 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Nuh uh! I did my own and you are!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:01 AM 

Ok, I have much better searching tools at my disposal than you do. "Monopoly" is not a defined term anywhere in any of the relevant titles, as far as I can tell. This bozo is the one who suggested it was, so I reasonably asked him to show me where.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:18 AM 
Arts Guru
Arts Guru

EQ1: Sariy & Aeki
WoW: Aeki
Top news on CNN is Exxon reporting something in the ballpark of 14 billion in profit. The problem isn't just OPEC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:34 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Arachtivix wrote:
Ok, I have much better searching tools at my disposal than you do. "Monopoly" is not a defined term anywhere in any of the relevant titles, as far as I can tell. This bozo is the one who suggested it was, so I reasonably asked him to show me where.

When did you ask for a legal defination of a monopoly? It is actions, not economic conditions, that we regulate. We allow defacto monopolies to operate in the US. It is when the start abusing their position, as defined in the Sherman Act, FTC Act and Clayton Act, that the law is broken and we have the FTC lay the hammer down. And just to be a dick I am not going to link it for ya. You made the claim that these three acts to not define what is legal and illegal. Do your own work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:37 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Sariy wrote:
Top news on CNN is Exxon reporting something in the ballpark of 14 billion in profit. The problem isn't just OPEC.

What is their estimates for the 4th quarter profit?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:43 AM 
Arts Guru
Arts Guru

EQ1: Sariy & Aeki
WoW: Aeki
They said they don't expect 4th's to be that high with the falling price of a barrel, demand being low, and having to count the damage from the two hurricanes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:27 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:
The entire goal of capitalism is to eliminate or subdue your competition.

I thought it was competition in a free market that self regulated without government interference.

Government intervenes when an abusive monopoly or unfair practices take place.

Are you ACTUALLY lobbying for OPEC?
What's next? Big tobacco?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:48 PM 

Arachtivix wrote:
Drajeck wrote:

My emphasis added for your edification. The rest is fine as far as generalisms go. Primacy my friend is not your friend, apparently. You may now proceed to pivot off of the original issue. I won't mind.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:54 PM 

Karthun wrote:
Arachtivix wrote:
You made the claim that these three acts to not define what is legal and illegal. Do your own work.

Quote me saying that. I said your general citation to three acts was not helpful to my question. It wasn't. And you can't tell me to do my own work when you make such a specific assertion about something that doesn't exist. That's the whole reason why people who actually know what they're talking about cite their sources, or at the very least are prepared to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:47 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:
Quote me saying that. I said your general citation to three acts was not helpful to my question. It wasn't. And you can't tell me to do my own work when you make such a specific assertion about something that doesn't exist. That's the whole reason why people who actually know what they're talking about cite their sources, or at the very least are prepared to

Karthun wrote:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode15/usc_sup_01_15_10_1.html
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html ... _20_I.html

There it is, go at it. It is right there, see that stuff on MONOPOLIES AND COMBINATIONS IN RESTRAINT OF TRADE, perhaps they have some stuff on monopolies and trusts. Look at # § 1. Trusts, etc., in restraint of trade illegal; penalty, or # § 2. Monopolizing trade a felony; penalty.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:12 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Arachtivix wrote:

Bozo? I'm sure this will be a great conversation.

Anyway, I got the 90% from the Microsoft trial which was filed for anti-trust due to them hitting and maintaining a 90% market share with windows. AMD followed with a suit vs Intel for hitting 90% also.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:28 PM 

Quote:
I thought it was competition in a free market that self regulated without government interference.

Government intervenes when an abusive monopoly or unfair practices take place.

Are you ACTUALLY lobbying for OPEC?
What's next? Big tobacco?

Key being "without government interference".

An arbitrary "90 percent!!" doesn't tell me why it's specifically "unfair" at that point. Also, define fair.

I have nothing against tobacco companies trying to sell their product, either. I can't tell people what to do with their own lives, and it's their right to buy it. If asking for entrepreneurial freedom is lobbying for them, I'm all for it =)

Quote:
But no one can compete with a monopoly. There are no lessons learned. You are prevented from ever entering the market. But from the supply sided side, monopolies can be a good thing due to the high amount of producer surplus. But I do not believe in supply sided stupidity. Monopolies artificually reduce the consumer surplus ALONG with the producer surplus. In all cases, both the producers and consumers are worse off under a monopolized market then an "ideal" market.

Monopolies don't need competition to fail. They eventually break down because people catch on and don't buy their products or find cheap alternatives. That's the nature of the world. Lessons learned, again, come from everything people learn from their successes and failures. There are no "normal" everyday very successful businesses that don't have special features to them which make their gears turn. There's always something to be learned, even from individual business to business.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:32 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Venen wrote:
Monopolies don't need competition to fail. They eventually break down because people catch on and don't buy their products or find cheap alternatives. That's the nature of the world. Lessons learned, again, come from everything people learn from their successes and failures. There are no "normal" everyday very successful businesses that don't have special features to them which make their gears turn. There's always something to be learned, even from individual business to business.

You are missing the point of a monopoly if you say "cheap alternative" because a monopoly can prevent a cheap alternate from ever coming into existence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:48 AM 

That's essentially what oil companies are trying to do right now, no? I personally don't think they're succeeding. Now, I'd agree they have held us back, for sure... but a cheap alternative is inevitable when you find it. How are they going to stop, for example, some sort of miracle fuel that gives an old car 200 mpg? Answer: They aren't. They can't. If the product is good enough, it can and will overthrow a monopoly.

Right now people are gradually turning to alternatives. It's not the solution yet, but it's a big start IMO. Given time and efforts to streamline various inefficiencies in those alternatives, OPEC most definitely will not be a dominant force forever. Technology and innovation always eventually overcomes. Now, sure, they could buy out such ideas - assuming they are for sale, which is a happenstance scenario. Given that we're looking at many different alternatives, they're going to have to buy out a heck of a lot.

Another possibility is that the monopoly could self-implode to internal reasons. Less likely compared to (in my view the inevitable)external forces perhaps, but given enough time, businesses have a track record of internal failures happening which destroy otherwise successful companies.

Offline Profile