All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "Kill Him!"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
DraagunSoulstealer wrote:
Lots of people are saying "she needs help" - would you feel the same way for the fictional "big black man" that did it? Obviously anybody that is that fucked up is mentally ill too.

Not unless he were mentally ill. If he were schizophrenic...absolutely. But the 'fictional' actions attributed don't equate to someone being mentally ill.

Her actions do indicate illness. What was she gaining from her actions? Someone who self injures and engages in the behavior that she does purely to seek attention and affirmation has a psychological problem.

If she had another motive, a financial one...then it wouldn't necessarily be indicative of a psychological problem (and likely wouldn't be).

An example would be someone who fakes having cancer for the emotional attention and sympathy they can garner is sick...but their choices are also reprehensible (being sick doesn't absolve responsibility or accountability). They need help. Someone who fakes cancer in order to gain financially from donations also is reprehensible...but they're no different than any other scam artist. They're just bigger scumbags for preying on people's emotions, rather than other scams which prey on greed, etc.

At the end of the day, what is served by this chick serving time in jail really? I'd rather see her get help and potentially get better. I also have no issue with someone who IS in control of their actions (and someone like this is, someone who's psychotic isn't) having to *pay* for their crimes. I'd have no issue with her being financially responsible for all bills as a result of her lie; police time, medical, etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:33 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
Lots of people are saying "she needs help" - would you feel the same way for the fictional "big black man" that did it? Obviously anybody that is that fucked up is mentally ill too.

For me this is an easy one: Yes, absolutely. Although I will admit, like I think most people will, it's harder and harder to have sympathy for someone the closer they are to average intelligence with no noticable mental problems. Being understanding of someone's situation is key, IMO. Everyone is affected by their environment, and for better or worse it molds them both into who they are, and often the frequent actions they take. I can't always pin that on them - even though it's no excuse and often people overcome environment and do the RIGHT thing. It's not an excuse, but it's a reason, and I have sympathy for the situations in peoples' lives that lead them to those actions.

I personally believe it is very rare for someone to become "beyond care", or "beyond treatment". Most of the time society simply shuns them, locks them away for whatever they did, and would rather forget about such a person than try to help. Back to the point.. if fictional "big black guy" did exist, I'd say if he was that violent over a simple bumper sticker, he had SOME kind of mental health issues - whether medically diagnosable or not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:49 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Well, without knowing her mental illness history, I guess it is impossible to know if pity is justifiable. Does anybody have her history?

Point being, and I think most of us can agree, that if the fictional big black man did it, he would garner little to no sympathy and be just as headfucked if not more so than this chicky.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:00 AM 

Just to be clear, I'd still have pity for her or the black guy even if there were no "definable" mental illness. Obviously people can still do bad things even if they're of sound mental health, but I would have pity for the sake that they did not have a good moral conscience.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:01 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Saw this elsewhere and found it really funny.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:42 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
My contribution:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:23 AM 
Bridge Dweller

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27350530/

People should be making a bigger deal out of this. I hate when big shit happens on Fridays because it ends up going by the wayside. ;(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:27 AM 
I schooled the old school.

Nah-- it's NOT a big deal. Conservative idiots (and Joxur) made it a big deal when they thought it made liberals look bad, but I see no need to make it a big deal when it ends up turned around like this. Leave that shit to the Republicans. Remember, she's just a volunteer who's apparently at least somewhat messed up. This isn't representative of McCain supporters in general.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:32 AM 
Bridge Dweller

This is representative of the general desperation of McCain and his campaign in general.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:39 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
And this, Sky, is part of the reason everyone here calls you a douche.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:46 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Huh? Why? This is indicative of the type of desperation has been shown by the McCain campaign. This is an atrocity just like the McCain fear-mongering Joe Biden-speech ads, VOTE FOR ME OR YOU'LL DIE IN ANOTHER WAR

Fuck off retard. Make a coherent point rather than just some quip and you'll be on my level.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:50 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Your lack of comprehension does not translate to an incoherent post. You're blinded by your own prejudices.
Today's prejudice appears to be "everything against Obama must be engineered by McCain or another rival!" You don't leave any room for the realities of the world - that a person who supports McCain could also be mentally ill, and it is that illness which drives her actions rather than her support of the candidate opposing yours.
Until evidence comes out that this woman was directly contacted by someone working on behalf of the McCain campaign and directed to concoct this story, we have one loony looking for attention and a political contest willing to give it to her.
Have fun with your title, douche. You've earned it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:51 AM 

Quote:
Huh? Why? This is indicative of the type of desperation has been shown by the McCain campaign. This is an atrocity just like the McCain fear-mongering Joe Biden-speech ads, VOTE FOR ME OR YOU'LL DIE IN ANOTHER WAR

Fuck off retard. Make a coherent point rather than just some quip and you'll be on my level.

This is not a "campaign tactic" dumbass-- if you really believe that the McCain campaign actually endorsed and asked this chick to try to pull this off, then you are rather deluded.

Point your doucheness at these two facets of the story (which I think are both more deserving):

1. Joxur hopped (once again) on the Republican Propaganda Bus, bought everything they said, then made snide comments when anyone started to look into it. Now he's shown to be (once again) a parrot of the right's talking points.

2. The Republican Propaganda Bus itself, which looks like real idiots (again) by being so quick to jump all over this when they thought it might make Obama somehow look bad.

Either of those could use some good taunting. The McCain campaign itself, and the average McCain supporter? They have nothing to do with this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:19 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I'd like to point out, again, that the McCain campaign was calling news agencies and pushing the 'Obama supporter' angle before any real facts were known about the case.
Link is in the post above, but I'll quote the entire thing here.
Quote:
McCain Communications Director Gave Reporters Incendiary Version Of "Carved B" Story Before Facts Were Known
By Greg Sargent - October 24, 2008, 5:12PM

John McCain's Pennsylvania communications director told reporters in the state an incendiary version of the hoax story about the attack on a McCain volunteer well before the facts of the case were known or established -- and even told reporters outright that the "B" carved into the victim's cheek stood for "Barack," according to multiple sources familiar with the discussions.

John Verrilli, the news director for KDKA in Pittsburgh, told TPM Election Central that McCain's Pennsylvania campaign communications director gave one of his reporters a detailed version of the attack that included a claim that the alleged attacker said, "You're with the McCain campaign? I'm going to teach you a lesson."

Verrilli also told TPM that the McCain spokesperson had claimed that the "B" stood for Barack. According to Verrilli, the spokesperson also told KDKA that Sarah Palin had called the victim of the alleged attack, who has since admitted the story was a hoax.

The KDKA reporter had called McCain's campaign office for details after seeing the story -- sans details -- teased on Drudge.

The McCain spokesperson's claims -- which came in the midst of extraordinary and heated conversations late yesterday between the McCain campaign, local TV stations, and the Obama camp, as the early version of the story rocketed around the political world -- is significant because it reveals a McCain official pushing a version of the story that was far more explosive than the available or confirmed facts permitted at the time.

The claims to KDKA from the McCain campaign were included in an early story that ran late yesterday on KDKA's Web site. The paragraphs containing these assertions were quickly removed from the story after the Obama campaign privately complained that KDKA was letting the McCain campaign spin a racially-charged version of the story before the facts had been established, according to two sources familiar with the discussions.

The story with the removed grafs is still right here. We preserved the three missing grafs from yesterday:

A source familiar with what happened yesterday confirmed that the unnamed spokesperson was communications director Peter Feldman. Feldman was also quoted yesterday making virtually identical assertions on the Web site of another local TV station, WPXI. But those quotes, which we also preserved here, are also no longer available on WPXI's site, for reasons that are unclear.

This is problematic because the McCain campaign doesn't want to have been perceived as pushing an incendiary story that not only turned out to be a hoax but which police officials said today risked blowing up into a "national incident" and has local police preparing to file charges against the hoaxster.

There's no evidence that anyone from McCain national headquarters put out a version of events like this.

After the story appeared on KDKA's site and this and other pieces in the local press started flying around the political world, an Obama spokesperson in the state angrily insisted to KDKA that it was irresponsible for the station to air the McCain spokesperson's incendiary version of events before the facts were fully known, according to two sources familiar with the discussions.

After that, KDKA went back to McCain's Pennsylvania spokesperson, Feldman, and asked if he stood by the story as he'd earlier told it, but he started backing off the story, a source familiar with the talks says. That prompted KDKA to remove the grafs.

Feldman couldn't immediately be reached, and a McCain HQ spokesperson declined to comment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:22 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Didn't realize the grafs were an image:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:49 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Yes, McCain's campaign should be blasted for running desperately with the story before much was known about it. It got national headlines as a result, when otherwise it would have remained purely a local story (or perhaps off the media radar altogether). But they're desperate and the story plays well in some areas. Whether the decision to run with the story was local office decisions or a main campaign decision...I don't know. But it was stupid and blew up in their faces.

No, McCain's camp didn't plan it and wasn't involved in it, and to suggest otherwise without hard evidence makes you look more stupid than the people who ran with the story. Frankly if they HAD planned something that douchebaggy, they'd have done it better for starters.

Fox news apparently said at one point during the brouhaha that if this story turned out to be false, it would end McCain's campaign and he'd forever be associated with 'race baiting'. But when have they ever been right in the past? I have NO idea how they make that leap. And I'm sure they've been backpedaling ever since.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:53 PM 

This is still my favorite part of that story:

Quote:
Verrilli also told TPM that the McCain spokesperson had claimed that the "B" stood for Barack.

Thanks for clarifying that! I love how they automatically know what it stands for. No way in hell it could be "bitch" or something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:34 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

joxur wrote:
Damn. You guys can stop feeling sorry for yourselves now..

Woman Attacked At ATM, Assailant Scratches Letter Into Her Face
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/new ... etail.html

Quote:
Police spokeswoman Diane Richard said the robber took $60 from Todd, then became angry when he saw a McCain bumper sticker on the victim's car. The attacker then punched and kicked the victim, before using the knife to scratch the letter "B" into her face, Richard said.

lol!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:44 AM 

Yeah, the story was fake. I lose!

Or do I? I'm not voting for a redistributionist. So, I guess I win!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:53 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

joxur wrote:
Yeah, the story was fake. I lose!

Or do I? I'm not voting for a redistributionist. So, I guess I win!

Joxur, hater of the progressive tax system.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:00 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Joxur, loser of America.

It'll be so sweet when Obama is Prez. He isn't going to redistribute wealth. The quotes were taken out of context and spliced together. When he wants the wealth spread around, he wants to enable others to be able to move up in society and earn more money, not take money away from the middle class.

Joe the Plumber is a lying shithead anyways, I am saddened that he started this whole furor with his bullshit comments and lies. Asshole.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:15 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Oh don't pay any mind to joxur. He's actually a progressive. It's just that his extreme dislike for Obama and his supporters have driven him ridiculous for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Clinton supporters turned McCain supporters aren't voting on issues. Clinton is much, much closer to Obama on the political spectrum.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:55 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

So funny to see the McCain camp hastily and carelessly attaching themselves to liars and idiots like Joe the Plumber and ATM-Girl. They really should know better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:14 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

They've got a liar and an idiot on the ticket already, Bov, why should their friends be any different?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:58 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Heh, all taxes redistribute wealth by their very definition. The only non-redistributionists are anarchists and communists.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:20 PM 
Bridge Dweller

It's SO over for McCain. I laugh IRL.

Offline Profile