It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:54 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:43 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

well before the convention.

There's apparently pictures now. Now it is the national enquirer mind you, but Edwards hasn't exactly been vehemently denying this shit.

He needs to do his press conference now, let the media OD on it before the Convention fires up and it's a huge distraction. And if it's all a lie, then have that press conference, whatever, but I get the feeling this story is about to explode after simmering for a long time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:28 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
National Enquirer? Is he an alien?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:58 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
From Susan Estrich about the Enquirer problem:
Quote:
The rest of the media was suspect of the Enquirer, and reluctant to rely on their employees as the basis for their own stories. But the Enquirer is not what it used to be; yes, it occasionally runs stories of aliens and three-headed monsters, or their equivalent,but the line between tabloids and “real” newspapers, between gossip and news, between the legitimate media and trash in print, is not what it used to be.

Other news organizations may not be willing to credit the Enquirer, but they can’t ignore it entirely; the middle ground, which is to send your own reporters to track down the story, is likely to end up posing even more starkly the question of “what’s news?” precisely because it cannot be answered by simply asserting that if it’s only in the Enquirer, it isn’t.

And now Ms Estrich on the issue at hand:
Quote:
Does anyone care if a former United States senator and presidential candidate ducked into a Beverly Hills hotel two weeks ago for a furtive meeting with his (alleged) mistress and his (alleged) love child?

Almost certainly.

Quote:
In recent days, as news has emerged that the child’s birth certificate left the father’s name blank, the local media in the senator’s home state -- both television and print – have got into the action, running pictures of the videographer who the then-candidate referred to as “camera girl” that are at least more flattering than the ones the Enquirer has put out, and went part way to answering the “taste” issue that had so many people shaking their heads when the story first broke.
It feels like only yesterday that I was spending half my time arguing just that, as Republicans sought to make President Clinton’s relationship with Monica Lewinsky into an impeachable offense. It wasn’t the sex, they argued, but the lying. I never bought that. It was the sex. Yes, she was an intern. On the other hand, she didn’t get pregnant and have a child. On the other hand, he didn’t have one of his aides come forward and say he was the guy who had the affair: in this case, the fall guy, if that’s what he was, was a younger former associate who was and is married with children, and supposedly invited the woman and child to his home for dinner with his wife and children after publicly taking responsibility for the pregnancy, all of which understandably contributed to people wondering if all of them knew something we didn’t. Like the truth.

Setting up a fall guy to protect the big shot, if that’s what it was (and that’s certainly how it looks), understandably bothers a lot of people. It’s one thing to mess up; it’s one thing to say, truthfully, that the details are not any of our business and simply to refuse to answer questions. If he can live with that, and his wife and kids can live with that, and the other woman can live with that, we should live with that. But setting up some other guy, especially a guy who is married and has a family of his own, to take responsibility sort of stinks.

Besides, if he really was the father, as he announced publicly, why not put his name on the birth certificate? And why hasn’t he come forward in the last two weeks since the Enquirer broke the latest story? One of my friends, who is himself in the news business, says he’s been trying, without success, to find the guy for the last two weeks. I don’t blame the putative father for disappearing, but, coupled with the empty space on the birth certificate, it certainly doesn’t look good for the senator.

But what bothers me most, I have to admit, about this whole affair, if that’s indeed what it was, is the cruelty it seems to evince toward the politician’s wife. She’s sick. Really sick. I can’t imagine what she must be going through now. Or rather, I can imagine, and it is upsetting, especially when I think of her trying to protect their two young children and their twenty-something daughter from the publicity and the gossip.

You can't really argue her Democrat colors and she isn't saying that this is not a story. Looks like there is more than smoke here. Someone from the Edwards camp must say something or this is going to be another cloud. Regardless, his political career is OVER.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:02 AM 

Why would one vehemently deny something about them that appeared in National Enquirer?

If he *didn't* do it, he would only bring more suspicion on regardless of his guilt - and since it can't be proven one way or the other, it makes him look worse. Especially considering this is a largely unknown story and hasn't been seen practically anywhere in the mainstream media, and only on a select few blogs.

If you're a celebrity or politician, so many accusations get made by all assortment of nutjobs all the time that it's practically impossible to waste your time to dismiss all of them anyway.

If he did do it, certainly he should come forward and admit what he did - but him not denying anything says absolutely nothing about him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:11 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
It can be proven with a paternity test.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:46 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Quote:
Regardless, his political career is OVER.

Right.....no one ever recovers from shit like this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:54 AM 

no, he is a three time loser (his last NC senate race, and twice for the nom) His career was over before he had his fling.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:14 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Correction: Edwards only ran for Senate once, in 1998. He won that race. He was up for re-election to the Senate in 2004, when he was on the ticket as Vice President. In that race, Congressman Richard Burr defeated former Clinton Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:35 AM 
Bridge Dweller

National Enquirer is a pretty legit magazine now from what I can gather. Kind of in the same vein as TMZ or the Smokting Gun really.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:48 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Published 7/24/08
Recap: Aliens have been communicating with us for 60 years now, and NASA is covering it up. They are described as looking like strange little people.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/nasa_mo ... rity/65204

Excuse my hesitation in paying too much attention to this news source. Old habits die hard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:37 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
As does your operating budget when you commit libel against a politician. So I'm sure they scrutinize their sources just a bit more in cases like this.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:00 PM 

Yep, so not a news story...

link here
Quote:
John Edwards repeatedly lied during his Presidential campaign about an extra-marital affair with a novice film-maker, the former Senator admitted to ABC News today.

Democratic presidential candidate former U.S. Senator John Edwards (D-NC) speaks to supporters during a campaign event at the Keene State University in Keene, New Hampshire January 6, 2008.
(Carlos Barria / Reuters)
More PhotosIn an interview for broadcast tonight on Nightline, Edwards told ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff he did have an affair with 42-year old Rielle Hunter, but said that he did not love her.

Edwards also denied he was the father of Hunter's baby girl, Frances Quinn, although the one-time Democratic Presidential candidate said he has not taken a paternity test.

Edwards said he knew he was not the father based on timing of the baby's birth on February 27, 2008. He said his affair ended too soon for him to have been the father.

A former campaign aide, Andrew Young, has said he was the father of the child.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:34 PM 

The guy is scum.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:39 PM 

Quote:
A former campaign aide, Andrew Young, has said he was the father of the child.
Well damn. What were they doing, gang banging her?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:23 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Despicable! The most saddening part is not the affair, I could really give 2 shits less who someone fucks, even if they're married (as long as it's not me or my spouse fucking around) but to do that to a wife with terminal cancer and who has raised your kids, that's just like a level below shitty. Who knows though, he may have had the go-ahead from his wife cuz maybe she can't bone anymore. Tons of people do that, as long as they're discrete.

Still a decent politician though. Terrible judgment on his part though and extremely bad characteristics for a human. His political life may no longer have any viability.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:35 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

I'm as disgusted and disappointed as the next person...

But what, Joxur, do you think of the man who married this woman, Carol...

Then, as she was recovering from a car accident in the hospital, pursued, and eventually married this one, Cindy?

And was later allegedly involved with this lobbyist, Vicki?

He's OK, right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:04 PM 

Everything's about McCain, isn't it?

You really think I am going to try to defend McCain's adultery? Your attempts to bait me suck. Here, I'll do what your constant spin and failure to answer any question honestly will ever do: John McCain is scum for cheating on his wife. He was completely wrong and should have just left her if he didn't love her anymore. Give her the dignity of that. Yes, it gives me pause in wanting to vote for him. Here's a cookie for you.

Regarding the NYT article.

• Quoting a NYT article when they took an insane amount of heat for violating their own journalistic standards on anonymous sourcing and for the timing of the article.
  • From a news organization that refused to run an editorial written by McCain just days after accepting an editorial written by Obama.
  • A news organization that employs Bob Herbert, who went on TV saying that McCain's negative ads contain phallic images. Why are they there?? Though I guess since Time Magazine is saying that McCain is protraying Obama as the Anti Christ, "phallic images" is pretty mild.
  • A news organization that, paramoiunt, failed to do any investigative journalism into the Edwards affair with at least the same amount of evidence associated with it. The media are going to take a huge black eye over this.

You got the dates for Carol/Cindy wrong, too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:13 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I don't think Edward's wife was diagnosed at the time this event is purported to have happened.

I'm not going to pretend that Edwards is a bad person for wanting to be happy even if he did go about it the wrong way. I would like to point out that among liberals this guy was the most conservative so I once again find it to be ironic that the 'conservative family guy' is a closet liberal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:17 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Quote:
First diagnosis in 2004
Mrs. Edwards, 57, was first diagnosed with cancer in the final weeks of the 2004 campaign. The day after Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry and Edwards, his running mate, conceded the election to George W. Bush, Edwards announced that his wife had invasive ductal cancer, the most common type of breast cancer, and would undergo treatment.

She had a reoccurence in 2007 I believe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:22 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Thanks for the clarification. Since it was a recurrence it still makes me wonder if they thought that she was cured at the time of the incident though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:24 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Perhaps, gray area for sure. If she wasn't dying with an active cancer at the time, it makes it a little bit less shitty imo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:22 AM 

Quote:
I don't think Edward's wife was diagnosed at the time this event is purported to have happened.

I'm not going to pretend that Edwards is a bad person for wanting to be happy even if he did go about it the wrong way. I would like to point out that among liberals this guy was the most conservative so I once again find it to be ironic that the 'conservative family guy' is a closet liberal.
This all came out because he visited the woman 2 weeks ago at her hotel. I don't think all is as he says.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:34 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

What's sadder is how much people care about this kind of personal bullshit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:05 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Tabloids sell so well for a reason. People are shallow, schadenfreudian, jackals.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:40 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I could give two shits. In fact, I only have a problem with him lying (and even then, barely an issue). Who he fucks and how is between he and his wife (regardless of her condition). And frankly, if asked, and he said, "This is a private matter between my family and I, and I will not comment." I would be fine with this. Public figure or not, it's...not...our...business. Either admit it, deny it (if not true), or just don't comment. Any which way, that works for me.

Those of you who are "sickened and digusted"? Quit being self-righteous fucks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:25 PM 

Quote:
I could give two shits. In fact, I only have a problem with him lying (and even then, barely an issue). Who he fucks and how is between he and his wife (regardless of her condition). And frankly, if asked, and he said, "This is a private matter between my family and I, and I will not comment." I would be fine with this. Public figure or not, it's...not...our...business. Either admit it, deny it (if not true), or just don't comment. Any which way, that works for me.

Those of you who are "sickened and digusted"? Quit being self-righteous fucks.
I'm sure we could go all day with a discussion about the personal lives of public figures. It's not really worth the time and effort, though.

Regardless of that, there is more to the story than John Edwards penis and how it relates to two women (and potentially a small child).

John Edwards' False Assertion During The ABC Interview
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/0 ... 17925.html

Quote:
In the context of admitting to an affair, it may seem innocent for Edwards to have misled ABC about the staring point. But the precise date is important. Over the course of nine months Edwards would spend more than $114,000 of the One America Committee's budget on Hunter's films. Whether he did that in an effort to have Hunter around or as a legitimate documentary project would likely make a difference to those who thought they were contributing to a poverty-eradication effort.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:51 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Now there's something to focus on, if true. I'm 1000% with you, if THAT were the direction this was taken by the media /shrug.

As to your previous statement in regards to the personal lives of public figures, let me fix your quote:

It's not really worth the time and effort, though.

There ya go. Problem solved.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:33 PM 

If you're going to keep picking at it, I'll bite. Where's the line of when we become "self-righteous fucks" about the personal lives of presidential candidates or regular politicians?

- alcoholism?
- religious persuasion?
- membership in controversial, private organizations?

You seem to be fond of quoting corporate HR hiring procedures. Surely you know that people can, will, and do hire based on their private associations?

But let's use John Edwards own words. His remarks on Bill Clinton after the Monica Lewinsky affair:

Quote:
I think this President has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen.
Seems fair to judge the man by his own standards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:45 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I would love to know why anyone really cares.
What's the point of getting rich and famous if you can't stick it in anything you please?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:20 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

joxur wrote:

But let's use John Edwards own words. His remarks on Bill Clinton after the Monica Lewinsky affair:

Quote:
I think this President has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen.

That's a pretty damning quote right there. The real problem for Edwards I think is this:

Quote:
But this decision on his part involved several overlapping betrayals. And the one that is very much a public matter is his betrayal of his supporters and, really, all Democrats nationwide -- one that continued at least until he dropped out in the spring. Edwards made a strong run for the presidency knowing full well that he was carrying on an affair, at least in the early stages of the campaign, which could come to light in the midst of the general election and fatally damage all Democrats' hopes for regaining the presidency. Just think how fun this weekend would be if John Edwards had won the nomination.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:31 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
But this decision on his part involved several overlapping betrayals. And the one that is very much a public matter is his betrayal of his supporters and, really, all Democrats nationwide -- one that continued at least until he dropped out in the spring. Edwards made a strong run for the presidency knowing full well that he was carrying on an affair, at least in the early stages of the campaign, which could come to light in the midst of the general election and fatally damage all Democrats' hopes for regaining the presidency. Just think how fun this weekend would be if John Edwards had won the nomination.

See, I hate shit like this in politics, too. Passing around "betrayals" all over the place.

Reminds me of that commercial where the soldier has a ketchup stain and his Drill Sergeant is yelling, "YOU'RE DISRESPECTING ME, YOUR COUNTRY AND YOUR MOMMA!!!" because of a stupid ketchup stain.

Of course, we recognize that as comedy. But some politician does something in his personal life and suddenly he's betraying God, America, Democrats, Stoners, Penguins, and anyone else that some media outlet decides to throw into the paragraph.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:16 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

joxur wrote:
If you're going to keep picking at it, I'll bite. Where's the line of when we become "self-righteous fucks" about the personal lives of presidential candidates or regular politicians?

- alcoholism?
- religious persuasion?
- membership in controversial, private organizations?

Opinions are fine. It's the obsession I have a problem with. People use this as a political tool distracting from the REAL issues. Alcoholism impairs his ability to perform his job at a REAL, FUNCTIONAL level, so yeah, I'd have a problem with that. If he's a Klansman? I'd have a problem with that too. Religious persuasion? I give two shits, so long as it doesn't impact his decisions that require a heavenly-boogeyman neutral stance.

joxur wrote:
You seem to be fond of quoting corporate HR hiring procedures. Surely you know that people can, will, and do hire based on their private associations?

errrmm, ok?

joxur wrote:

Imo, the quote makes him a self-righteous fuck in that instance too. I just don't get the attention all around...by anyone /shrug. It's all trivial bullshit, and we give it WAY too much attention.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:42 AM 

Ohh, the Hillary camp is PISSED about this:

(link here)
Quote:
Wolfson: Edwards' Cover-up Cost Clinton the Nomination
Aides Say She Would Have Won Iowa if Edwards Affair was Exposed

By BRIAN ROSS and JAKE TAPPER
Sen. Hillary Clinton would be the Democratic presidential nominee if John Edwards had been caught in his lie about an extramarital affair and forced out of the race last year, insists a top Clinton campaign aide, making a charge that could exacerbate previously existing tensions between the camps of Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama.

I believe we would have won Iowa, and Clinton today would therefore have been the nominee," former Clinton Communications Director Howard Wolfson told ABCNews.com.

Clinton finished third in the Iowa caucuses barely behind Edwards in second place and Obama in first. The momentum of the insurgent Obama campaign beating two better-known candidates -- not to mention an African-American winning in such an overwhelmingly white state -- changed the dynamics of the race forever.

Obama won 37.6 per cent of the vote. Edwards won 29.7 per cent and Clinton won 29.5 per cent, according to results posted by the Iowa Democratic Party.

"Our voters and Edwards' voters were the same people," Wolfson said the Clinton polls showed. "They were older, pro-union. Not all, but maybe two-thirds of them would have been for us and we would have barely beaten Obama."

Sour grapes? Hillary getting the short end of another man and his inability to keep his pants up?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:50 AM 
Bridge Dweller

ahahahahahahahahah

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:55 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

Maybe she's just trying to tell us how she would have answered that red phone in the middle of the night: "Another terrorist attack? Aw man, can I have a redo? This is totally unfair!"

http://boxrockssocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:59 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Bahahahahahaahh!!!

So wait, wait...

The Clinton camp is pissed *not* because he did something, but because his damage control at the time was good enough to not cost him the state. So they're saying they're happy he fucked up, but mad that he didn't get totally busted in time to give them votes.

EDWARDS BETRAYED CLINTON!!!! (lulz)

God politics is so fucking retarded. It's no wonder we need rappers and celebrities to try to convince kids to bother voting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:54 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

*shrug* Comments like that are reminiscent of high school. You have a lot of large egos in politics.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:26 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Can someone at least explain to me why these guys flush their careers with ugly chicks? At least Spitzer blew it on a hottie.

Offline Profile