It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:33 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:08 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Quote:
MEYRIN, Switzerland (AP) -- The most powerful atom-smasher ever built could make some bizarre discoveries, such as invisible matter or extra dimensions in space, after it is switched on in August.

But some critics fear the Large Hadron Collider could exceed physicists' wildest conjectures: Will it spawn a black hole that could swallow Earth? Or spit out particles that could turn the planet into a hot dead clump?

Ridiculous, say scientists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, known by its French initials CERN -- some of whom have been working for a generation on the $5.8 billion collider, or LHC.

"Obviously, the world will not end when the LHC switches on," said project leader Lyn Evans.

The safety of the collider, which will generate energies seven times higher than its most powerful rival, at Fermilab near Chicago, has been debated for years. The physicist Martin Rees has estimated the chance of an accelerator producing a global catastrophe at one in 50 million -- long odds, to be sure, but about the same as winning some lotteries.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/30/doom ... index.html

Curious if anyone else here lacks confidence in this? This gives me the heeby jeebies. Quantum physics is highly debated and barely understood/tested.

Even a 1 in 50 million chance of destroying the world is too high, IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:14 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
Even a 1 in 50 million chance of destroying the world is too high, IMO.
We need to get the AIDS healthcare worked on that, pronto.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:15 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I listened to a show on NPR where they had one of the scientists involved in this project discuss this "chance."

It's just sensational headlines, and has nothing to do with reality, would be the short answer he gave to this supposition. In fact, he went as far as to say that there simply isn't any chance, as far as we know, that this could happen.

On the other hand, if it did happen, and we all disappeared, who cares? If everyone dies in an instant, all over the world, absolutely nothing we're doing right now has any kind of meaning. It's not going to hurt anyone we've left behind if we haven't left anyone behind. We just... cease to exist. At least I won't have to pay the damn gas bill anymore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:22 PM 
What does this button do?

Some thought that a nuclear detonation would burn off the atmosphere.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:24 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Fribur wrote:
On the other hand, if it did happen, and we all disappeared, who cares? If everyone dies in an instant, all over the world, absolutely nothing we're doing right now has any kind of meaning. It's not going to hurt anyone we've left behind if we haven't left anyone behind. We just... cease to exist. At least I won't have to pay the damn gas bill anymore.

It's not like flipping off a light switch. It isn't an instant snuff of the planet, it would take time and be devastating.

Notwithstanding, I'm not OK with ceasing to exist. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:27 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

This thread is already a perfect example of why I love this board sometimes.

I personally am rooting for the physicists to accidentally open up a dimensional rift that allows some variety of zombie and/or robot super-race to take over the earth and use human kind as a power source of some kind.

http://boxrockssocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:45 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Are these the same people who still mourn the losses of all the sailors who fell off the edge of the world?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:32 PM 
Do you smell that?

It's a classic human reaction; fear what you do not understand. This debate has been raging on for the entire duration of the development of the LHC

I'll just let Dr. Michio Kaku lay it down for you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/ ... lephysics1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:13 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
The LHC is re-producing something that occurs every day, in a manner in which it can be measured. I would think the system would vaporize before anything globally catastrophic could occur.

It's mass that gives a singularity its effect. These mini-black holes would be created on a subatomic scale with the substitution of enormous energies in the place of that mass. The rate at which that energy is lost is greater than the energy they can produce to sustain themselves.

An 80-100 megaton bomb has already been detonated in our atmosphere. The LHC does not approach that kind of energy, and we are still here.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:58 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
We need to get the AIDS healthcare worked on that, pronto.

I love how your defensiveness over your own ignorance has you embracing even more ignorance. :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:19 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Well, it is a long shot, but I fully support the end of the world. Bring on armageddon!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:21 AM 

Quote:
I love how your defensiveness over your own ignorance has you embracing even more ignorance. :p
Really, let's talk about the real issue. Even if this device doesn't cause the end of the world, if it opens a portal to another dimension, we could open the gates of hell for evil monsters to spill out, wreaking havoc and slaying at will.

My only goal is to have the HIV healthcare worker standing there, ready to infect those aliens and thus, save the world.

... It was tongue in cheek, Rugen :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:12 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Or splash water on them.

AIDS water.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:41 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
You gotta admit, it would be pretty cool if it made a Black Hole that swallowed the Earth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:52 PM 

Quote:
You gotta admit, it would be pretty cool if it made a Black Hole that swallowed the Earth.
You had me at "atom smasher".

What a great name. Finally, we got a scientist in there with some hair on his chest.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:17 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
We? This is CERN. Our atom smasher was cockblocked. We get no atom smasher!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:25 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Where would these super-particles come from? Or all that mass, to make the Killer Black Hole? Were these people awake one day in a high school science class?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:46 PM 
Do you smell that?

That's really the point of it all. People take theories and try to apply known science to them to scare people. When the theory came up of creating enough force with the collider to create a micro black hole, what little we know of black holes (giant spinning nom noms with extreme gravitational force) was instantly applied by the general stupid public to create the scare of a threat that does not exist (excusing the uncertainty principle).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:52 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Assume that when Stephen Hawking changed his mind and said there probably aren't any quantum black holes, no one heard him. A black hole a few atoms wide would still have no visible effect on anything around it. We used to think the Tunguskga explosion was a small black hole passing through the planet; there was a search for the exit point for a while. Now we know that was a meteor (found the acid-rain layer from the assload of nitrogen oxides reentry would have created), but there was nothing all that implausible about a small black hole reentering, the atmospheric friction causing the "explosion", but the mass itself passing through the core with no discernable effect. It would rob us of a few dozen tons on its way through, and neither it, nor we, would notice the difference. Now Hawking says that while there's nothing that says an existing quantum black hole couldn't continue existing, creating one is basically impossible. Something about the math equates to negative quantities of energy near the site, and as far as we understand, that's impossible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:37 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Cuchulainn SC2K wrote:
Quantum physics is highly debated and barely understood/tested.

Just to niggle a bit: while the philosophical implications of quantum theory are indeed highly debated, the theory itself has been exceedingly well tested (experimental measurements of fundamental constants agree with theoretical predictions to fifteen digits of precision and counting, making QED the single most accurate scientific theory to date). We know that quantum mechanics works, we know exactly how it works, we just don't know what the fuck it means. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:21 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Reminds me of Stephen King's story "The mist" (not that shitty movie either...)

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:22 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Dr Strangelet - or how I learned to stop worrying and love the relativistic heavy ion collider.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:39 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I have a crowbar and a chainsaw. I'm prepared for the wormhole to open. You can feel bad for me for not wanting AIDs infected dentists ramming their fingers down my throat all you want.

I'll be the guy whacking Imps and cacodeamons while wearing green concrete body armor not caring.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:02 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

noojens wrote:
Cuchulainn SC2K wrote:

Just to niggle a bit: while the philosophical implications of quantum theory are indeed highly debated, the theory itself has been exceedingly well tested (experimental measurements of fundamental constants agree with theoretical predictions to fifteen digits of precision and counting, making QED the single most accurate scientific theory to date). We know that quantum mechanics works, we know exactly how it works, we just don't know what the fuck it means. :)

That's not how I understand it. The string theory is just that- a theory, not a principal. Scientists are still trying to figure it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory
Quote:
String theorists have not yet completely described these theories, nor have they determined if these theories relate to the physical universe or how. The logical coherence of the approach, however, and the fact that string theory can include all older theories of physics, have led many physicists to believe that such a connection is possible. In particular, string theory is the first candidate for the theory of everything, a way to describe all the known natural forces (gravitational, electromagnetic, weak and strong) and matter (quarks and leptons) in a mathematically complete system. On the other hand, many detractors criticise string theory because it has not yet provided experimentally testable predictions.

Like any other quantum theory of gravity, it is widely believed that testing the theory experimentally would be prohibitively expensive, requiring feats of engineering on a solar-system scale. Although string theory, like any other scientific theory, is falsifiable in principle, critics maintain that it is unfalsifiable for the foreseeable future, and so should not be called science.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:50 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

String Theory != Quantum Mechanics or rather, in this case, Quantum Electrodynamics

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:53 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Feh, another cutoff.

The purpose of the LHC is to explore string theory, but the basis for the doomsday theories lies in quantum mechanics which is quite well defined. We just have no concept of 'how' it works physically because it is in large part probabalistic.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:40 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

We've been hearing predictions of doom for centuries. Why do we still even acknowledge these people?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:23 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
because people are fucking retarded

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:43 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Now the ad hominem attacks start coming.

Regardless, I'm not saying anything will go wrong. I'm not suggesting that we are doomed if we do this.

What I AM saying, is that if there's a remote chance of "the high-energy particle collisions producing phenomena dangerous to the Earth, such as the creation of micro black holes, strangelets, vacuum bubbles and magnetic monopoles", is it worth the risk? At least, until we understand it better?

I am aware that teams of scientists have evaluated and re-evaluated the safety of LHC, and found little to no risk involved. However, I will admit I'll be less stressed out after they switch it on and nothing goes wrong, heh. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:32 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

The LHC is the means by which we can understand it.

If it makes you feel better, particles many thousand times more energetic hit our atmosphere every few hours; and have for millions of years. When particle accelerators are capable of meeting or exceeding those energies, then I'd say concern would be justified.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:44 PM 

Cuchulainn SC2K wrote:
What I AM saying, is that if there's a remote chance of "the high-energy particle collisions producing phenomena dangerous to the Earth, such as the creation of micro black holes, strangelets, vacuum bubbles and magnetic monopoles", is it worth the risk? At least, until we understand it better?

That's just the thing. We understand enough to have already made the judgment as a society that the risk is worth the benefits. It's the same thing with the AIDS workers thread. Do these activities increase the risk to you personally? Of course, but this is NOT QED for your argument, my friends.

Often society must make decisions about what is best for people in the aggregate or in the long term as opposed to what is good for individuals or in the short term. It happens every day, and you can probably come up with plenty of examples for yourself. Deciding which of these risks is worth taking is most often the province of the law.

The reason why the American justice system will laugh the case out of court regarding the CERN components coming from America is because we as a society have made a judgment that significant scientific progress is more important to us than the ridiculously small chance that something will go wrong on a meaningful scale. The reason why we don't have a law against AIDS infected workers is because we as a society have decided that allowing people to function productively as medical professionals in our economy is more important than any tiny risk they might pose to those they treat through their HIV status.

The people making the argument that the activities in these threads should not take place because they raise the background level of risk on an almost theoretical level are taking an individualist philosophy to a ridiculous extreme. The fact is that our interests individually must occasionally be subsumed in favor of the interests of society. Just because you get a little squeamish about odds you don't even really understand does not mean that other people should just stop in their tracks.

Finally, just remember: you're a beneficiary of this principal as much as you're burdened by it; to sustain your life as you know it, you unavoidably put others to risks that they might not like either. We can examine these risks and argue about whether they're balanced with the benefits, but we can't claim they're unjust merely because they're there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:52 PM 

*principle

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:11 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangelet wrote:
If the strange matter hypothesis is correct and a strangelet comes in contact with a lump of ordinary matter such as Earth, it could convert the ordinary matter to strange matter. This "ice-nine" disaster scenario is as follows: one strangelet hits a nucleus, catalyzing its immediate conversion to strange matter. This liberates energy, producing a larger, more stable strangelet, which in turn hits another nucleus, catalyzing its conversion to strange matter. In the end, all the nuclei of all the atoms of Earth are converted, and Earth is reduced to a hot, large lump of strange matter.

Sounds like the plot to a bad Star Trek novel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:44 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Cuchulainn SC2K wrote:

Remote in this sense is equivalent to saying there's a remote chance that a Chicago Cubs team will issue forth from the nether that's capable of winning the World Series 10 straight times.

Seriously, no sarcasm intended (beyond busting Cubs fans' balls). There's a "remote" chance of this occurring.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:31 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Cuchulainn SC2K wrote:
noojens wrote:
Cuchulainn SC2K wrote:

That's not how I understand it. The string theory is just that- a theory, not a principal. Scientists are still trying to figure it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory
Quote:
String theorists have not yet completely described these theories, nor have they determined if these theories relate to the physical universe or how. The logical coherence of the approach, however, and the fact that string theory can include all older theories of physics, have led many physicists to believe that such a connection is possible. In particular, string theory is the first candidate for the theory of everything, a way to describe all the known natural forces (gravitational, electromagnetic, weak and strong) and matter (quarks and leptons) in a mathematically complete system. On the other hand, many detractors criticise string theory because it has not yet provided experimentally testable predictions.

Like any other quantum theory of gravity, it is widely believed that testing the theory experimentally would be prohibitively expensive, requiring feats of engineering on a solar-system scale. Although string theory, like any other scientific theory, is falsifiable in principle, critics maintain that it is unfalsifiable for the foreseeable future, and so should not be called science.

Like Sarissa said, quantum mechanics and string theory are two vastly different theories. QM has been around for a century and has been exhaustively tested. String theory is an as yet untested attempt to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity. Despite its prominence in pop culture, string theory isn't taken particularly seriously in the physics community, particularly among experimentalists. This is because string theory has enough free parameters that it can explain any physical phenomena - even contradictory ones - and hence makes no falsifiable predictions. So, in its current state, string theory is not a scientific theory. It's an interesting mathematical construct with great potential, but as yet it is not science.

The LHC is not a string theory experiment. String theory experiments do not, and cannot at present, exist. The LHC is a high energy physics experiment designed at improving our knowledge of particle physics, and smoothing out some kinks in the Standard Model thereof. It may provide a heuristic for choosing which string theory (there are dozens) is the most viable, but it will not contradict any of the string theories.

So the physics behind the LHC is well known. Rest assured that it is safe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:49 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I hope they do the test run on a Monday, it would suck to get wiped out right before a weekend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:39 AM 

The ice-nine scenario is a pretty interesting one once you dig into the nuts and bolts of it. Wasn't there a movie or some such based on that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:17 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Venen wrote:
The ice-nine scenario is a pretty interesting one once you dig into the nuts and bolts of it. Wasn't there a movie or some such based on that?

Book by Kurt Vonnegut. Cat's Cradle, IIRC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:16 AM 

True but I was thinking of a TV show or a movie. Figured it out though, it was an episode of Odyssey 5 which appeared on SciFi at one point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:53 PM 

The countdown is approaching.

Read a pretty cool article about the changes for various discoveries. Worth a read, fairly entertaining..

http://cosmicvariance.com/2008/08/04/wh ... -lhc-find/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 PM 

Oh, and the pictures from this site are the best I've seen.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/0 ... lider.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:37 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Damn that shit is intimidating looking. =O

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:29 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
As of August 2008 the majority of the LHC ring is now cooled to the 1.9K operating temperature. The collider is currently undergoing commissioning while being cooled down to its final operating temperature of approximately 1.9 K (−271.25 °C). The initial particle beams are due for injection in August 2008, the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for September 10, 2008, and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on October 21, 2008.

So we need to wait until October 21st for the end of the world, dammit.

I'm going to build a Hadron Collider in my backyard and beat them to it. :skewl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:37 AM 

Pretty cool interactive from MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26562876/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:35 PM 

So this is where all that money went that I have been applying for...? an Atom-smasher!?

Sigh.. my Quantem Leap project will just have to wait.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:42 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

We're still alive!

Woot!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:46 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
We have time still, they haven't collided anything yet.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:38 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Vanamar wrote:
We have time still, they haven't collided anything yet.

Van, you're definitely a "the-glass-is-half-empty" kind of person, heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:42 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Quote:
The glass is half empty, but it's probably poison anyway.

Fixed

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:33 PM 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:50 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

That video was fucking awesome!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:23 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Everyone can now take a deep breath and relax for a couple of months...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/09 ... index.html

:laughing7:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:00 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

sigh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:37 PM 

Oh hell

Scientists Not So Sure 'Doomsday Machine' Won't Destroy World
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,483477,00.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:40 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Wow, more retarded reporting from Fox News.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

CHECK AGAIN!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 PM