It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:13 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:50 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Quote:
Either way, setting up a drilling operation with what they got, or getting access to the big shiny, you're not going to see much in the way of returns for about 10 years. The problem is now.

agreed

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:11 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

The more I read about this more disgusted I am becoming.

In November, 2007:

Quote:
He promised to close down Guantanamo "because we're not a nation that locks people up without charging them. We will restore habeas corpus. We are not a nation that undermines our civil liberties. We are not a nation that wiretaps without warrants."

In August of last year, he said:

Quote:
This Administration also puts forward a false choice between the liberties we cherish and the security we demand. I will provide our intelligence and law enforcement agencies with the tools they need to track and take out the terrorists without undermining our Constitution and our freedom.

That means no more illegal wire-tapping of American citizens. . . . That is not who we are. And it is not what is necessary to defeat the terrorists. The FISA court works. The separation of powers works. Our Constitution works. We will again set an example for the world that the law is not subject to the whims of stubborn rulers, and that justice is not arbitrary.

This Administration acts like violating civil liberties is the way to enhance our security. It is not. There are no short-cuts to protecting America, and that is why the fifth part of my strategy is doing the hard and patient work to secure a more resilient homeland.

Last week:

Quote:
But given the legitimate threats we face, providing effective intelligence collection tools with appropriate safeguards is too important to delay. So I support the compromise . .

Meanwhile, this week, since the stink has risen over this bill passing, some senators, including Dodd, Feingold, Boxer and Wyden have all come forward to voice their lack of support. Harry Reid is not only opposed to the immunity, but to the bill itself.

Where is Obama?

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/ ... index.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:49 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Fribur wrote:
Hey guys, I'm convinced. Clearly we should vote for McCain!

Just because it can't be said enough apparently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:19 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
joxur wrote:
The more I read about this more disgusted I am becoming.

In November, 2007:

Quote:
He promised to close down Guantanamo "because we're not a nation that locks people up without charging them. We will restore habeas corpus. We are not a nation that undermines our civil liberties. We are not a nation that wiretaps without warrants."

In August of last year, he said:

Quote:
This Administration also puts forward a false choice between the liberties we cherish and the security we demand. I will provide our intelligence and law enforcement agencies with the tools they need to track and take out the terrorists without undermining our Constitution and our freedom.

That means no more illegal wire-tapping of American citizens. . . . That is not who we are. And it is not what is necessary to defeat the terrorists. The FISA court works. The separation of powers works. Our Constitution works. We will again set an example for the world that the law is not subject to the whims of stubborn rulers, and that justice is not arbitrary.

This Administration acts like violating civil liberties is the way to enhance our security. It is not. There are no short-cuts to protecting America, and that is why the fifth part of my strategy is doing the hard and patient work to secure a more resilient homeland.

Last week:

Quote:
But given the legitimate threats we face, providing effective intelligence collection tools with appropriate safeguards is too important to delay. So I support the compromise . .

Meanwhile, this week, since the stink has risen over this bill passing, some senators, including Dodd, Feingold, Boxer and Wyden have all come forward to voice their lack of support. Harry Reid is not only opposed to the immunity, but to the bill itself.

Where is Obama?

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/ ... index.html

He didn't change his opinion on how important individual rights are, he merely accepted that there needs to be some compromise to give law enforcement the authority it needs to protect us right now. He didn't want to implement this without the safeguards, but this was a time sensitive issue and he felt the risk was too high to wait for an alternative. I expect him to push for safeguards at a later date from this snapshot and I actually see this resolution as a positive for my stance on Obama.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:04 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
I expect him to push for safeguards at a later date from this snapshot and I actually see this resolution as a positive for my stance on Obama.

I don't, actually. I'm pretty let down by this move from an individual that used to teach constitutional law. If this is the sort of "reaching across the aisle" he's going to be doing, we need less of it. For someone who refused to be bullied into false showings of patriotism over the "FREEDOM! SAFETY!" calls of the other side, this was a disheartening move.

Still better than McCain, but not a move I can support.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:58 AM 

Quote:
He didn't change his opinion on how important individual rights are, he merely accepted that there needs to be some compromise to give law enforcement the authority it needs to protect us right now. He didn't want to implement this without the safeguards, but this was a time sensitive issue and he felt the risk was too high to wait for an alternative. I expect him to push for safeguards at a later date from this snapshot and I actually see this resolution as a positive for my stance on Obama.

Haven't we already tried the "just trust me" president? If Obama faces no political fallout for picking the bill without the safeguards, what's his incentive to go back and put them in there?

What is broken with the current FISA system?

How can you say he hasn't changed his opinion? He directly contradicts himself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:02 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I change my opinion frequently, especially when new information is presented to me.

I don't understand this countries fascination with stubbornness as a desirable character trait. Since when are we not allowed to change our mind?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:43 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Bz and Kula -

As far as the offshore leases go, I will tell you what I know. When the blocks are put up for auction and sold to the highest bidder, that bidder is going on assumptions based on what kind of production the surrounding leases have had. Once they secure the lease, they then send in seismic vessels to explore the possibility of actually producing oil from that lease. If the possibility does not exist, or is too small to be cost effective, they don't bother drilling.

When drilling rigs can cost upwards of 250,000.00 a day, you can't really blame them. They didn't used to be that expensive. Costs for drilling and exploration skyrocketed after Katrina and Rita. The oil companies have kept basically every available rig busy working with both new exploration and re-drilling old wells with the newer technology to further increase production.

Chevron has deployed a new floating production spar called the Tahiti Project this year and will soon be working to deploy something out to Jack. Jack is the huge discovery that was made last year as a joint venture between Chevron and Devon Energy. I don't remember the exact number of people who are supposed to work on Tahiti, but I am thinking it was around 250 at a time.

Are Oil Companies sitting on leases that hold a large amount of oil and choosing not to drill them? Not in my experience.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:50 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Drajeck wrote:

No, no, no, and no. If you accept ANY compromise on the limits of rights you have NO understanding of how important those rights are. Period. I couldn't be more disappointed than his decision here. Compromise is great when talking budgets. Not so much for rights. As for your other statement? I'll borrow from Penn when I say, in this case, "Safeguards....are bullshit."

What the fuck is wrong with you people who actually think this is a "red herring" issue or that it's even remotely acceptable (not directed at you necessarily Drajeck)? Fact is, you're doing more damage in doing nothing about this, as opposed to the politicians who are just pandering for your vote and increasing the power of the federal government at your expense.

But hey, don't let me jump in the omgwtfpartylines discussions that for many of you, only serve to increase your own ignorance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:06 AM 

Ok, listen. All bullshit aside, I implore you to read this article:

Five Myths About the New Wiretapping Law
Why it's a lot worse than you think.
http://www.slate.com/id/2194254

Tarot, I don't care whether you vote for Obama or not. I don't care whether you vote for McCain or not. What I care about is that this bill MUST NOT PASS.

Obama is the best chance to stop this bill, and for you guys, his supporters, to turn a blind eye to it is absolutely disgusting. What happened to your outrage over the lawlessness of the past 8 years? Where are you fucking people?

Stop being mad at me and go read some goddamn web sites and start getting angry. Forget about the election.

Quote:
You see, the new law goes a lot further, basically doing away with warrants altogether in the domestic-to-international context. Under the proposal, the NSA can engage in what David Kris calls "vacuum cleaner surveillance" of phone calls and e-mails entering and leaving the United States through our nation's telecom switches. Provided that the "target" of the surveillance is reasonably believed to be abroad, the NSA can intercept a massive volume of communications, which might, however incidentally, include yours. When authorities want to target purely domestic communications, they still have to apply for a warrant from the FISA court (albeit only after a weeklong grace period of warrantless surveillance). But where communications between the United States and another country are concerned, the secret court is relegated to a vestigial role, consulted on the soundness of the "targeting procedures," but not on the legitimacy of the targets themselves.

Quote:
Here, then, is the bitter joke of the new legislation: From 2001 to 2007, the NSA engaged in a secret program that was a straightforward violation of America's wiretapping laws. Since the program was revealed, the administration has succeeded in preventing the judiciary from making a definitive declaration that the wiretapping was a crime. Suits against the government get dismissed on state-secrets grounds, because while the program may have been illegal, it was also so highly classified that its legality can never be litigated in open court. And now suits against the telecoms will by dismissed en masse as well. Meanwhile, the new law moves the goal posts, taking illegal things the administration was doing and making them legal.

Whatever Hoyer and Pelosi—and even Obama—say, this amounts to a retroactive blessing of the illegal program, and historically it means that the country will probably be deprived of any rigorous assessment of what precisely the administration did between 2001 and 2007. No judge will have an opportunity to call the president's willful violation of a federal statute a crime, and no landmark ruling by the courts can serve as a warning for future generations about government excesses in dangerous times. What's more, because the proposal so completely plays into the Bush conception of executive power, it renders meaningless any of its own provisions. After all, if the main lesson of the wiretapping scandal is that we need more surveillance power for the government, what is to stop President Bush—or President Obama or President McCain—from one day choosing to set this new law aside, too? "How will we be judged?" Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., asked in a stirring speech deploring the legislation yesterday. "The technical argument obscures the defining question: the rule of law, or the rule of men?"
Even outside of the context of the illegal wiretapping, this sets a huge precedent that can be used for damn near anything. If the executive branch can set aside laws at will, and make signing statements to anything, with no accountability, that's bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:11 AM 
Bridge Dweller

I think that an important part of politics is being able to change your opinion on things. I've never favored calling people out on "flip flopping" because I'd hope that my leader would react to things going on around us and the changing times. Shrug.

In re: the wiretapping, I don't care. It probably won't affect me on any level. I'm not worried about my spam emails about a huge penis being intercepted. They're used to track people who commit crimes. You think the government doesn't do other illegal shit like killing people and using subservice techniques to get info from people? Hell, spying is illegal but we have a whole branch of the government dedicated to it.

Obviously illegal wiretapping is not ideal, but then again, they're targeting criminals, so who cares? My civil rights or liberties aren't being violated because if I'm a criminal, I don't have any. This is about protecting americans at large. Who gives a fuck about the super crazy ultra left wingers who decry this as another step big brother or the man is taking to infringe upon our civil liberties/rights. (How exactly, have mine been stepped on as of yet?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:18 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
In re: the wiretapping, I don't care. It probably won't affect me on any level.

That is the worst possible argument against this sort of thing.

Quote:
This is about protecting americans at large.

Anyone who has swallowed the protection pill hasn't been paying attention for some time now, in my personal opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:35 AM 
Bridge Dweller

rugen wrote:
Quote:
In re: the wiretapping, I don't care. It probably won't affect me on any level.

That is the worst possible argument against this sort of thing.

Quote:
This is about protecting americans at large.

Anyone who has swallowed the protection pill hasn't been paying attention for some time now, in my personal opinion.

I agree that's it's a dumb answer, but it's how it is. Generally, Americans don't care about laws and things that don't affect them. Now, I'm not that way across the board, I am a law school student and I do care about the law, but for something like this I can understand the aim of the law. I don't see it as a trouncing of civil liberties/rights. I understand the goal, and what is compromised to reach it. It doesn't forgive the retroactive law breaking, but what will/can be done about it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:01 PM 

Quote:
I agree that's it's a dumb answer, but it's how it is. Generally, Americans don't care about laws and things that don't affect them. Now, I'm not that way across the board, I am a law school student and I do care about the law, but for something like this I can understand the aim of the law. I don't see it as a trouncing of civil liberties/rights. I understand the goal, and what is compromised to reach it. It doesn't forgive the retroactive law breaking, but what will/can be done about it?
Neat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:17 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I wish that each time some administration or their lackeys decided to choose what was acceptable in the name of national security, they would be forced to ammend the constitution rather than simply ignoring or sidestepping it or reinterpreting it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:21 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Do you take issue with my comment, Joxur?

1) Generally speaking, American's dont care about laws as long as they don't impact them negatively
2) I am a law school student
3) You may want to emphasize that I said also that I'm not that way across the board, and that I understand the goal of the compromise and legislation.

Looks crystal clear! Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:31 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

xskycrasherx wrote:

1) Generally speaking, American's dont care about laws as long as they don't impact them negatively
3) You may want to emphasize that I said also that I'm not that way across the board, and that I understand the goal of the compromise and legislation.

I disagree with the notion that the government has the right to compromise my or any citizens' rights that are constitutionally protected.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:37 PM 

xskycrasherx wrote:

Why in the world would I even bother? You aren't educated on the subject. Can you even articulate what's wrong with FISA to allow for such broad violation of the fourth amendment? Do you even know what the fourth amendment is, or why it was put in the bill of rights, without Googling it?

Do I need to quote Niemöller? Do you even know what I mean by that? Quick, wikipedia it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:38 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I will admit I am a latecomer to this issue. What has been done in the name of fighting terrorism disgusts me. We are the target because we have these freedoms. Our government is built on a system of checks and balances. If ANY wiretap is needed then the appropriate filings MUST be made. There should never be a blanket "oh they are terrorist so it is OK" attitude to our law. If we don't respect and care for it, then why should anyone else?

It is not that a wiretap can not be obtained. There can be ways that the goverment CAN obtain a legal wiretap. If it is a matter of national security then request it through the CIA/FBI channels.

The words of Benjamin Franklin are so right on "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Neither candidate has a good record on this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:47 PM 
Bridge Dweller

To Kula: Fundamentally I agree with that too.

I can disagree all day long until I'm blue in the face. However, conversely, I also understand the goal and aim of the legislation. Is the method used to get there legal, ethical, defendable? I'm not in a position to argue that. It means nothing on an internet forum.

PS: Also, make note, just because you interpret the constitution a certain way, doesn't make it right. I'm sure you know that though. That's why we have courts, right? You may feel it's unjust, but those who create the laws, may interpret that way. Whose to say it's right or wrong, ultimately? They are. They think your interp. is wrong. So, it's just a finger pointing game at this point, but they're the ones who are "right" in this instance, regardless of what you, I, or anyone else may think. (We're not in positions to change it.)

To Joxur: I've studied the US Constitution. Quite frankly, I'm insulted by your attempts to diminish my intelligence. I'm very well educated, thank you -- I graduated summa cum laude with a BA in History and BA in Religious Studies from my school and was accepted to a great law school (for me anyway.) For you to tell me I'm not educated in something so fundamental to the law is fucking insulting. You're right. Law students have no grasp on the US Constitution and it's a foreign element. I do have a cynical side and an acerbic side, and also a sense of humor so it may not always get across, and I do admit I'm fairly mercurial, but your attempts in trying to "shut me down" aren't going anywhere, asshole.

Fuck off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:55 PM 

I asked:

Quote:
Can you even articulate what's wrong with FISA to allow for such broad violation of the fourth amendment?
You replied:

Quote:
That's why we have courts, right? You may feel it's unjust, but those who create the laws, may interpret that way. Whose to say it's right or wrong, ultimately?
Typically, the courts. But since this bill legalizes the action of going AROUND the courts, there is absolutely no recourse.

If you researched the issue, you'd know that.

So the answer to my question above is a resounding "no". You continue to have posted absolutely nothing of substance backing up your point that it's "ok", other than it has a small footprint on popular culture, which, as a law student, you should know is totally irrelevant.

I'm waiting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:59 PM 
Bridge Dweller

PS: That is not to say I'm a master of the constitution or its interpretation and application, but I can approach something and decontruct, analyze, and give you my thoughts on it. I guess I don't do that much so I can't blame you for thinking I can't or couldn't, or wouldn't. I truly have studied it. I have a great book I carry with me all the time -- still. Great reference. [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1604592680/ref=pd_bbs_sr_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214506718&sr=8-1]The Constitution of the United States of America, with the Bill of Rights and all of the Amendments; The Declaration of Independence; and the Articles of Confederation[/spoiler] I bought it for my Race and Law in US History course. One of my earlier classes. It's been used a lot, needless to say.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:00 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

The problem, skycrasher, is that the intent of this legislation is to rewrite a law to circumvent a ruling that found the practices of the administration unconstitutional. The practices are now being redefined to enable a finding of constitutionality, not changed to actually uphold the rights of the citizens.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:16 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

xskycrasherx wrote:
In re: the wiretapping, I don't care. It probably won't affect me on any level. I'm not worried about my spam emails about a huge penis being intercepted. They're used to track people who commit crimes. You think the government doesn't do other illegal shit like killing people and using subservice techniques to get info from people? Hell, spying is illegal but we have a whole branch of the government dedicated to it.

/sigh. It doesn't affect you on any level...yet. Or so you understand it. And spying is not illegal. This demonstrates your ignorance of the entire topic. Having worked in the area for a number of years, in a HUMINT capacity for a few of those, I can tell you domestic spying is a VERY serious issue that will affect you over the course of the next few decades as legislation slow erodes your rights to privacy. It's at that point you should begin to worry.

xskycrasherx wrote:

I would hide this fact until you have about 10 years of experience under your belt. You'll have a MUCH better understanding of the system at that point. You don't think a number of Justice Dept. members were fired due to their public comments and political stances do you? See my point above in regards to privacy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:52 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Elessar wrote:
Compromise is great when talking budgets. Not so much for rights.
QFT. You compromise on amounts, not on principles.

What disappoints me the most, other than the main issue here, is that Congressional Democrats aren't willing to throw this back in Bush's face. They look back to 2004, when they lost both congressional seats and the presidency because Bush looked stronger on terror. They don't want that to happen again and I don't blame them for not wanting that result, but I do blame them for this course of action.

xskycrasherx wrote:
My civil rights or liberties aren't being violated because if I'm a criminal, I don't have any.
Wrong and wrong. I know it's not politically expedient to defend criminals -- gasp! -- or even possible criminals, but they do have rights, too. You don't have to be a law student to know that; you just have to watch Law & Order.

But that's not what's important here. What is, is your notion of "I didn't do anything wrong, so sure, search away." That may be the most asinine thing I've ever heard a law student say. First off, the 4th Amendment guarantees the right to be secure against unreasonable searches and seizures (in today's world, electronic surveillance is just as much seizure as search). It's unreasonable to search without proper cause. It's even more unreasonable to seize without proper cause. There's a higher degree of invasion in taking as opposed to looking or listening, even when taking involves copying, not removal.

Kulamiena wrote:
I disagree with the notion that the government has the right to compromise my or any citizens' rights that are constitutionally protected.
Then you would be correct.

Yet, I can't help but think there's something we don't know. Is there a specific intelligence target that's the reason this is being pushed through? We'll probably never know.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:57 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
After reading the article Joxur linked, as well as the discussion here, I am going to change my position. I don't like losing civil rights and the idea to remove those rights for our protection loses steam when the only thing I want protected in the first place are my rights.

Damn, a flip flop. Now I'll never get to be president.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:57 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Leolan wrote:
Yet, I can't help but think there's something we don't know. Is there a specific intelligence target that's the reason this is being pushed through? We'll probably never know.

I think this is what bothers me the most. There is always going to be at least one single example that can be used to justify taking everyone's rights with a possible outcome horrific enough to make people consider giving up that right to be the lessor evil.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:15 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

That's the heart of the matter.

Are we willing to trade freedom, liberty, and privacy for security and safety?

It's easy for each us to say no.

Yet it's harder for a public figure to say no. Ultimately, we bind together in society precisely for those purposes: security and safety.

It's an indefensible position. The message of the argument needs to be changed.

Do we trust this government to provide us with security and safety? Are we sure we'll trust the next one, and the one after that, and the one after that to do the same?

With Bush's approval ratings as low as they are, that's a position that's at least possible to win, though still difficult.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:17 AM 

Quote:
Do we trust this government to provide us with security and safety? Are we sure we'll trust the next one, and the one after that, and the one after that to do the same?
"Trust me, but not him."

Seriously?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:23 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Jox, I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you're pointing to the incredulity of the argument, you're absolutely right and that's the point I wanted to make. We've had enough of the "trust us" governance we've seen this decade.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:25 AM 

Whew, I thought you were arguing for it. Sorry, I misinterpreted that, heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:29 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

I haven't completely lost my mind, y'know. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:35 AM 

Yeah, well, you have to excuse my reaction based on some of the responses on this thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:39 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

I already have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:37 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Leolan wrote:
Are we willing to trade freedom, liberty, and privacy for the illusion ofsecurity and safety?

Fixed that for you, Leo. /RIP Carlin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:04 PM 
Lois Lane!

In my university paper, we actually wrote about this issue in February, when the Protect America Act was up. We had a very talented editorial cartoonist, and the attached image is what he came up with when we told him the primary focus of the editorial page that week. (I wrote the main opinion, and there was an opposing view printed, as well. Unfortunately, the opposing view writer wasn't the greatest, so IMO I proved my point and she proved nada...but I could just be biased. ;))

Quote:
In 1948, George Orwell wrote “1984,” a novel about a dystopian, fictional country led by Big Brother. The citizens are under surveillance all hours of the day, and all thoughts, expressions, actions and conversations can give cause for arrest by the Ministry of Love, the governmental department in charge of torturing dissidents.

When published in the late 1940s, this novel was considered science fiction, and the concepts were thought to be far-fetched and unlikely. It was only fiction, right?

Today, however, the world of Big Brother is crossing over into reality with the existence of the Protect America Act. Passed under the guise of protecting Americans from terrorists in 2007, this act allows warrantless wiretapping inside the United States. It received a 15-day extension just three days before it was set to expire.

This act clearly conflicts with the Fourth Amendment, which states “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause …”

The Supreme Court ruled in 1967 that conversations could be “seized,” which meant that wiretapping is considered a search. Therefore, law enforcement is
required to request a warrant to eavesdrop on U.S. citizens. This can only lead to the conclusion that wiretapping phones inside the United States is against a constitutional amendment.

The idea that reading your e-mails or listening to your phone calls is permissible because you are doing no wrong is reprehensible. The fear of terrorists has ruled this nation for too long. Allowing spying without warrants will not necessarily prevent a terrorist attack, but it will set a precedent for ignoring amendments.

With the Fourth Amendment out of the way, will the next target be the First, which allows the freedom of speech, the press, religion, peaceful assembly and the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances? After free speech is gone, perhaps they can next ignore the 13th Amendment, which abolished slavery, or the 19th, which gave women the right to vote.

The president is not above the law, no matter how much he wishes he were. The insistence that as commander-in-chief he has the ability to spy on our own citizens is an erroneous assumption. The United States is not a traditional monarchy – our leaders are answerable to the Constitution and the citizens of this country.

When swearing into office, President George W. Bush uttered the oath, “I do
solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

By diverging from the Constitution, the president has broken his pledge. Congress, in lieu of Bush’s ability to know right from wrong, must let this act lapse.

Ultimately, as Benjamin Franklin once wrote, “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

(When I researched the quote, there was some controversy over whether he said it or someone else wrote it...but it's widely attributed to him and appears in a book of his, I believe. Therefore, I left it.)

Link to the paper in case you're interested in reading the opposing view - but I promise it stinks. It's on Page 5.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:06 PM 
Lois Lane!

(Oh, and to clarify - wiretapping someone who is making an overseas calls still means you are wiretapping someone in the country. Even if a call is "leaving" the country, it originates here. Therefore, they ARE wiretapping people inside the U.S. Do you lose your rights as a citizen just because you make an overseas phone call or send an e-mail to a friend in England?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:11 AM 

I'm glad it got stopped until July. I hope that something happens to keep it from passing for good, but I'm not optimistic.

Boy, the list of items in Obama's big, 2-week drift to the center sure is alarming... if you hadn't been predicting it. heh

He'll change his course on Iraq by the convention. I can't wait for the headling: Obama to deliver major speech on Iraq.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:07 AM 

Update:

The number 1 group on Obama's own social site is dedicated to getting him to stop his vote for this bill. If you're a supporter and you care, you should join this group and do what you can.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/group/Se ... gainstFISA

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:35 PM 
I schooled the old school.

Well, it passed today, and Obama voted yes. I'm dissappointed. Hell, I could even say I'm angry. There isn't anyone better running for President, however, so I'll simply have to deal.

I would like to hear Obama respond to questions about his stance previous compared to this vote, however.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:23 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I'm unhappy about this, but still in the "lesser evil" camp as well, I suppose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:38 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

I'm actually unhappy enough about this that I'm debating pulling my vote entirely.

This is something I expected him to know better on and he let me down.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:47 AM 

Zatronn1 wrote:
I'm unhappy about this, but still in the "lesser evil" camp as well, I suppose.
That's exactly what Obama is counting on.

How you can say he is a lesser evil when 1) You have no idea what he stands for anymore; and 2) the Democrats have done absolutely nothing in 2 years - is completely beyond me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:48 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Tarot wrote:
Fribur wrote:
Hey guys, I'm convinced. Clearly we should vote for McCain!

Just because it can't be said enough apparently.

:skewl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:01 AM 

Quote:
So many lines.

So much crying.

Apparently no substance.

In the rain.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:13 AM 

Quote:
That's exactly what Obama is counting on.

What I can't figure out is his motivation for voting for it in the first place. Are there really that many undecided independants / Republican moderates out there that WANTED this bill to pass that it was worth the "yes" vote? I just don't get it, and I'd love to hear him make a straight answer about it.

Regardless, at least he didn't pussy out of it by not voting at all like McCain.

Quote:
How you can say he is a lesser evil when 1) You have no idea what he stands for anymore

That's a huge hyperbole, and you know it. That said, I know what McCain stands for too, and so do you, and if you would take your emotions out of it for just a few seconds, you would have to agree that Obama's stances are still far far closer to your own stances than McCain. Easy to say he's the "lesser evil." In fact, since this is only one vote on one issue, I'm not even ready to call him "evil."

Quote:
How you can say he is a lesser evil when 2) the Democrats have done absolutely nothing in 2 years - is completely beyond me.

What did you expect? Getting a Democratic congress was only the first step, but there is no way significant progress could be made by that Democratic congress until they have 60 votes, or a President that won't veto anything significant they try to pass. None of this has any bearing on whether one would vote for McCain or Obama anyway. Are you saying that you would vote for McCain because his party was effective at blocking legislation that you generally support as a liberal? That makes a lot of sense, sir.

I don't know why I continue to post. Tarot's post made the same point I just did in one sentence, but it's like talking to a fence post with you sometimes, heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:44 AM 

Quote:
What I can't figure out is his motivation for voting for it in the first place. Are there really that many undecided independants / Republican moderates out there that WANTED this bill to pass that it was worth the "yes" vote? I just don't get it, and I'd love to hear him make a straight answer about it.
Especially considering that he voted the party line more than just about anyone during his short senate career, and that his recent pivots are mostly along constitutional lines (link).

Quote:
Regardless, at least he didn't pussy out of it by not voting at all like McCain.
Funny considering how many present votes he made as an Illinois senator. It's not exactly a strength of his, heh.

Quote:
That's a huge hyperbole, and you know it. That said, I know what McCain stands for too, and so do you, and if you would take your emotions out of it for just a few seconds, you would have to agree that Obama's stances are still far far closer to your own stances than McCain. Easy to say he's the "lesser evil." In fact, since this is only one vote on one issue, I'm not even ready to call him "evil."
Is it?

Here are the pivots. I know you don't trouble yourself to be educated or informed on these subjects, so feel free to ask for sources.

- Gun control
- Public financing
- Iraq withdrawal
- Engagement with leaders of Iran and other enemy states
- NAFTA
- FISA
- Abortion
- Death penalty
- Separation of church and state
(I can support each of those but rather than do your work for you, just go read this link).

Oddly, all of these came after winning the nomination. Funny that he's drawing comparisons to GWB. I wonder who has been saying that for months on the boards here.

So tell me, Fribur, what does Obama stand for?

I'm officially an independent, and I lean more conservative on some things and more liberal on others. If Obama abandons my main liberal points of view, namely the death penalty, church and state, Iraq and FISA, what am I to do?

Quote:
I don't know why I continue to post. Tarot's post made the same point I just did in one sentence, but it's like talking to a fence post with you sometimes, heh.
Is it time already to start quoting posts I made months ago predicting all of this? Don't hate on me because your guy just stabbed you right in the face.

Clearly, you disagree with all of the editorials from WaPo, NYT, Kos, Greenwald and Arianna Huffington (short list, heh) about Obama. Yeah, I'm the fence post. heh. Just as clear is that you care more about theoretical scenarios involving HIV infected health care workers than the reality of this election right in front of your face, as you demonstrate with your supreme lack of knowledge about your candidate.

Barack Obama brazenly lied to you about his intent to filibuster FISA, and you support him anyway. And now you have to go give him some more money, so that he can lie to you some more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:45 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Hillary lost. Get over it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:51 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Fribur wrote:
In fact, since this is only one vote on one issue, I'm not even ready to call him "evil."

Come on, Fribur, Joxur isn't calling him 'evil'. It's an expression.

Fribur wrote:
What did you expect? Getting a Democratic congress was only the first step, but there is no way significant progress could be made by that Democratic congress until they have 60 votes, or a President that won't veto anything significant they try to pass.

I really have to disagree. The threat of a veto should not be an excuse to pass repugnant legislation. The first step should be getting a Democratic majority with a backbone. As long as they hold the purse strings, they have a very powerful hand that they seem incapable of playing. Cowardice? probably.

Obama, in recent days, has shown that he's all about "The Show". Letting his children be questioned by the press took away any protections they may have gotten via Chelsea & the Bush twins. They're in negotiations to hold his acceptance speech in a NFL stadium for fucks sake. Look at the media outlets he's choosing, they are lightweights that will only impress the unknowing masses. THOSE are his true constituency because they really don't realize what has been going on in this country. I kind of wish I was stupid enough to not be concerned.

As for McCain, he's really no better. Neither of the 2 major party candidates are going to improve this country in any real way or reverse the mistakes domestically that the current administration has made.

I hope that one of the people who had considered an independent run and rejected it reconsiders soon. If ever we needed a third party in this country, now is the time. Depending on their policies, I would back them with effort, time & money and I know many others who would also.

Tarot wrote:
Hillary lost. Get over it.

Resorting to calling those who aren't Obama supporters embittered Hillary supporters doesn't convince anyone to support Obama. Do you have any real reasons to support him that he hasn't already muddied the waters on?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:58 AM 

Quote:
I know you don't trouble yourself to be educated or informed on these subjects

And reading this is the point where I decided not to bother replying with a serious answer. Good work. Good luck to you on your McCain/Hillary campaign.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:14 AM 

Quote:
And reading this is the point where I decided not to bother replying with a serious answer. Good work. Good luck to you on your McCain/Hillary campaign.
Right. Because you took the high ground with the fence post (and previous racist accusations) comment. There have been a whole lot more personal attacks on me than I've made on anyone else.

The truth is that you won't reply because you can't. Obama's reversals are facts. There's not much you can say about that, I agree.

Why did you even bother posting? Did you really think that I would leave this alone, after seeing my predictions come true? Time to embrace apathy, Fribur, because there are more disappointments coming. I'll save you future replies when we start to talk about Iraq and health care. Just cut and paste your last one:

Quote:
I'm dissappointed. Hell, I could even say I'm angry. There isn't anyone better running for President, however, so I'll simply have to deal.
There, I just saved you hours of quality time you could spend on other things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:31 AM 

I've never called you racist. You chose to take a comment that was obviously facetious and take it seriously. In that same thread I even pointed out immediately after you took it seriously that it was simply hyperbole. Other people didn't take it seriously. You are choosing to be offended, and the fact that you bring it up months later shows... well I don't know what it shows. It's amazing that you bring it up still, after we've had this conversation now three different times.

As for the fencepost, I stand by it. You continue your crusade against Obama *no matter what* and with *no viable alternative* for liberal voters. It doesn't matter what anyone points out to you or says to you, you've decided. There is no changing you on this one-- it's like talking to hard line pro-lifers. Or-- like talking to a fencepost. There's no real reason anymore to try to discuss this with you.

Personally, I still like the man. I still like his stances on the majority of issues there are out there. When I look at the alternative, I see there is no way in hell I could responsibly vote for it, so I stick with Obama. I'm sorry you don't like that. You called yourself independant, but until this election cycle you always came off as remarkably liberal on these boards to me. It's sad to see you reduced to this point of attack attack attack on a guy that shares so many views with you, and then reduced to the point of falsly accusing an Obama supporter like me of calling you racist (repeatedly).

Good luck to you on your crusade.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:54 AM 

I agree with what Jox is saying. Obama is more closely resembling GWB than you guys want to admit. Hell, more than I want to admit! GWB was not ready to be President. He was naive. He rode in on the incompetence of the other party. He polarized the country into those that love him and those that hate him. He has weakened the Constitution and continues to attack it (defense of marriage BS!)

We do really need a third party this year.

I think we might be better off with four years of McCain than eight years of Obama. I don't like McCain either, but I think that he would be much better in foriegn affairs than Obama. I think McCain would clean house of the Bush people however he would be willing to look at somethings that worked instead of just doing things completly different (yet the same) as Bush.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:02 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

krby71 wrote:
I agree with what Jox is saying. Obama is more closely resembling GWB than you guys want to admit. Hell, more than I want to admit! GWB was not ready to be President. He was naive. He rode in on the incompetence of the other party. He polarized the country into those that love him and those that hate him. He has weakened the Constitution and continues to attack it (defense of marriage BS!)

I think we might be better off with four years of McCain than eight years of Obama. I don't like McCain either, but I think that he would be much better in foriegn affairs than Obama. I think McCain would clean house of the Bush people however he would be willing to look at somethings that worked instead of just doing things completly different (yet the same) as Bush.

I agree with what you are saying about Obama but I have to question why, given the staff he is currently surrounding himself with, you think McCain will clean house of the Bush people?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 AM 

I think McCain likes to see himself as the Anti-Bush of the GOP. However he does need to get elected. There is an old wound that GWB gave him and McCain does not forgive easily. I really think that if he were to win the election he would keep just a very few people from the current administration.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:09 AM 

Quote:
I've never called you racist. You chose to take a comment that was obviously facetious and take it seriously. In that same thread I even pointed out immediately after you took it seriously that it was simply hyperbole. Other people didn't take it seriously. You are choosing to be offended, and the fact that you bring it up months later shows... well I don't know what it shows. It's amazing that you bring it up still, after we've had this conversation now three different times.
I'll break it down really simply, in one sentence.

Your criticism of me is dumb because you do the same thing.

Quote:
As for the fencepost, I stand by it. You continue your crusade against Obama *no matter what* and with *no viable alternative* for liberal voters. It doesn't matter what anyone points out to you or says to you, you've decided. There is no changing you on this one-- it's like talking to hard line pro-lifers. Or-- like talking to a fencepost. There's no real reason anymore to try to discuss this with you.
I would take you seriously if you actually responded to my very large lists of pivots. Considering the "liberal voters", I'd think you would have more to say about it.

But it's moot, because the best response I have for you about me already making up my mind is:

Your criticism of me is dumb because you do the same thing.

Quote:
Personally, I still like the man. I still like his stances on the majority of issues there are out there. When I look at the alternative, I see there is no way in hell I could responsibly vote for it, so I stick with Obama. I'm sorry you don't like that. You called yourself independant, but until this election cycle you always came off as remarkably liberal on these boards to me. It's sad to see you reduced to this point of attack attack attack on a guy that shares so many views with you, and then reduced to the point of falsly accusing an Obama supporter like me of calling you racist (repeatedly).
I gave you at least 4 opportunities to show me how Obama shares my views. They were Iraq, church and state, FISA and the death penalty. I asked you direct questions, and you haven't responded. I took it up the ass on the boards a few months ago for not responding to posts, which was warranted, and I did my best to go back and answer them. Do the same yourself, then come back and talk shit to me.

Besides, if two candidates are the same, do you pick the one who blatantly lied to you about it, or the one who didn't? Here, a quote for you:

Quote:
"Senator Obama unequivocally opposes giving retroactive immunity to telecommunications companies and has cosponsored Senator Dodd's efforts to remove that provision from the FISA bill. Granting such immunity undermines the constitutional protections Americans trust the Congress to protect. Senator Obama supports a filibuster of this bill, and strongly urges others to do the same. It's not clear whether he can return for the vote, but under the Senate rules, the side trying to end a filibuster must produce 60 votes to cut off debate. Whether he is present for the vote for not, Senator Obama will not be among those voting to end the filibuster"

And here's the definition of unequivocally.

Quote:
absolute; unqualified; not subject to conditions or exceptions

Tell me, Fribur. Did he lie?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:10 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

krby71 wrote:
I agree with what Jox is saying. Obama is more closely resembling GWB than you guys want to admit.

Not really. You won't find many happy with this senate vote...but he's hardly a Bush Clone because of it. The person Obama most closely resembles (still) is Hillary. Which is ironic given how butthurt some Hillary supporters were/are.

krby71 wrote:
Hell, more than I want to admit! GWB was not ready to be President. He was naive. He rode in on the incompetence of the other party. He polarized the country into those that love him and those that hate him. He has weakened the Constitution and continues to attack it (defense of marriage BS!)

Yes, Bush was and is a douchebag. I think we all agree on that. Well maybe there's a couple of holdouts, but I doubt it at this point.

krby71 wrote:

Not gonna happen, no matter how much Nader wants your vote. ;)

krby71 wrote:
I think we might be better off with four years of McCain than eight years of Obama.

0_o How so more specifically?

krby71 wrote:
I don't like McCain either, but I think that he would be much better in foriegn affairs than Obama.

Based on what?

krby71 wrote:
I think McCain would clean house of the Bush people however he would be willing to look at somethings that worked instead of just doing things completly different (yet the same) as Bush.

You realize McCain is using and consulting with some Bush people already...right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:13 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Tarot, Hillary voted no on this, so who does he most closely resemble? Not McCain, he didn't bother to show up, not Hillary whose vote he cancelled, but W? yea, that's closer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:21 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Kulamiena wrote:
Tarot, Hillary voted no on this, so who does he most closely resemble? Not McCain, he didn't bother to show up, not Hillary whose vote he cancelled, but W? yea, that's closer.

Right, because he voted yes on this he completely resembles W in all ways, and will be a Bush Clone if elected.

Are you fucking serious?!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:24 AM 

Quote:
Based on what?
Allow me to be of service.

Europe Fears Obama Might Undercut Progress With Iran
But wait, his debate position about holding direct, unconditional talks with Ahmadinejad would instead be talks with the appropriate Iranian officials at "a place of his [Obama's] choosing".

Then there's the fact that he was wrong about the surge. Hey, so was I. But I'm not running for president. McCain was one of the few people who took out a stand for the surge when he had no politically expedient reason to do so.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next