It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:32 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:46 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
I just had to share this before I write a response.

I was on the way to work this morning and got a phone call saying they just heard on the radio that the state legislator I'm running against wants to make up for Florida's budget shortfall by selling treasure from sunken ships.

I finally got to the office and it was on the top of my RSS feeds.

Quote:
But now Rep. Juan Zapata of Miami wants to crack it open and sell a little treasure to help fill some holes in the proposed $66 billion budget, which is more than $4 billion smaller than this year's spending plan.

''In a tough budget year,'' Zapata said, "we have some interesting goodies in the closet. Why not have an interesting garage sale, put them out there and see what we can get for them? The question now is, what's the value?''

No one really knows, though one expert says the more than 1,600 gold coins and nearly 22,000 silver ones have a value of at least $17 million.
Let's see...
Code:
   $4,000,000,000
 -  $   17,000,000
You really have to wonder how that adds up.

Ahh, maybe this is it:
Quote:
When asked about the value, Ryan Wheeler, chief of the state's Bureau of Archaelogical Research, sounded appalled.

''These are tough times,'' he said. ``But we don't sell treasure as a Florida family to make up for it. We don't sell the family Bible or grandmother's china to fix the problem because we'll be faced with the problems next year. And we won't have this to study our past.''

Wheeler said selling off the artifacts sets a dangerous precedent.

''Do you draw the line with the gold and silver coins?'' he said. 'Or do you say, `Well, what about the American Indian pottery that we have in our collection?' Or the arrowheads that are 12,000 years old? Or the historic buildings that are managed by our agency? Well, what about our state parks? There are about 160 state parks. That seems like a lot. Maybe those could be sold.''
So how did our valiant hero decide to embark on this quest?

Why, a lobbyist told him, of course! Gee, I wonder what his motivation was.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:07 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Looks like a golden opportunity for you to crush him in the election. :prayer:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:50 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

DESTROY HIM

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:49 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

This guy wants to sell American history to the highest bidder. You don't even have to spin it for it to sound awful. Isn't he supposed to be a republican? He should be talking about cutting spending.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:20 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Do you ever worry that things you've said on these boards would be found and used against you in a political arena? Not implying that you say things you wouldn't stand behind, but along the lines of taking a conversation here out of context. I wonder if sensationalizing something like he plays computer games would even be a possible attack.

Just curious.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:46 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Is it a concern? Sure. I'd be stupid (or lying) if I said otherwise.

But a major concern? No. Certainly not, moving forward. I've probably written a few stupid things in the past, but that's said and done. I can't take them back.

If someone wants to paint me as a computer-playing kid, I'd have to say that there are far worse things that could be in my closet. Heck, I don't even make a secret of that. You can't expose what's not hidden.

I was just reading something earlier this week that said roughly 70% of Americans play video games. If I was to get attacked on that, I'd have a lot of people to reach out to in defense.

Now... All that said, I have resisted the urge to hold the "Frag Your Rep" LAN Party Fundraiser. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:02 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I've always thought it would be fun to go one of your open mic events (If you even have them) and ask when the vox raid starts. :evil2:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:28 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
Yeah he does, I've even seen him remove something that could've been 'used' against him... though I cry at the thought that someone could've tried to use that specific thing against him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:25 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Lou wrote:
Yeah he does, I've even seen him remove something that could've been 'used' against him... though I cry at the thought that someone could've tried to use that specific thing against him.

I have copies for blackmail.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:49 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

But what about allegations that you fall asleep on the job, Leo?

I have screenshots I will sell to the tabloids!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:23 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Only goes to show that I'm willing to work till I drop. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:06 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

"It's 3 AM,

and you're raiding the Plane of Hate on the 2nd floor.

Who will lead you so you don't have to call in sick to work the next day doing a CR?"

^ Picture of a certain bard sleeping ^

Man that brings back memories. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:26 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Ahahaha.

In all seriousness though, I've been involved in politics off and on since I was a teenager. I hate to sound like a naive moron, but in too many ways I was (and probably still am) and there are many things in politics I find distasteful, to say the least.

Without getting into a really long rambling post, we (as a society) often reward the wrong things. We are unable to do the real research necessary to make good voting choices, and so often make snap judgements based on party, appearance, previous/current jobs, age, etc.

We're happy with the status quo...if stuff isn't bad and the seat holder isn't a complete moron (or gets caught with prostitutes or children in a sex scandal) and there's no redistricting etc. then they tend to stay in office a LONG time.

We're rewarding the wrong things.

I didn't immediately support Mike because I've worked with him for years, or because I think he's a great guy, or because I've always been impressed with his character or the work he's done, etc. I had conversations with him on what he wanted to do, what his positions were, etc.

Obviously we don't get the chance to do that with every person who runs for public office. Though we should...through our media if nothing else...but we can also access them through many forums, as those of you who've attended dinners and rallies and other such things know.

Anyway, he's the type of person we need in politics. I donated (not a lot, not tooting my horn) to his campaign despite the fact that he is not in my party and more importantly, he is not in my region because I believe it WILL benefit me to have someone like him succeed politically. Certainly the office he has gone for and I hope runs for again probably won't impact me in Southern California, but I also don't believe that he'll stay at that level forever.

And at higher levels of government there is the potential to make an impact in regions far wider than one's own region.

I truly believe we need to find such people and support them. I'm tired of making sweeping compromises in my vote, or casting a ballot for the lesser evil.

I'd much rather bust my ass trying to get a good person into office, someone in whom I can believe. And if they become a political jackass later on, work my ass off twice as hard getting them out and someone better in.

And it's not hard. I've worked on campaigns and even if you don't have a lot of time or money (I had neither at the time I got involved) simply staying up all night licking stamps for mailers helped. Making signs for rallies and passing them out. Showing up, waving signs and screaming for your guy may come off as preaching the choir (and at those rallies it usually is) but the 10 second soundbite convinces more voters than you'd want to believe sadly.

Anyhoo...we need people like Mike in office. I hope he runs again. I hope we support him even more, and I hope for all of us that we see a trend of people like him trying for office and getting involved.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:10 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Tarot wrote:
Anyhoo...we need people like Mike in office. I hope he runs again. I hope we support him even more, and I hope for all of us that we see a trend of people like him trying for office and getting involved.

Amen to that, sister.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:29 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

A definate and whole-hearted ditto. I suspect my political leaning are on the other end of the spectrum, but if I was a Floridan I'd vote for him in a heart beat, on the basis of character. A guy with integrity and a differing opinion from yours is worth ten shysters who will claim to agree with everything you believe.

Offline Profile