It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:50 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:17 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Was talking politics with a conservative guy at work and he sent me this email.

Quote:
Obama's Church

It's surprising that someone running for President would be a member of a church with views like this one. .

======================================================================================-

Obama mentioned his church during his appearance with Oprah. It's the Trinity Church of Christ. I found this interesting.

Obama's church:
Please read and go to this church's website and read what is written there. It is very alarming.
Barack Obama is a member of this church and is running for President of the U.S. If you look at the first page of their website, you will learn that this congregation has a non-negotiable commitment to Africa. No where is AMERICA even mentioned. Notice too, what color you will need to be if you should want to join Obama's church... B-L-A-C-K! Doesn't look like his choice of religion has improved much over his (former?) Muslim upbringing.
Strip away his nice looks, the big smile and smooth talk and what do you get? Certainly a racist, as plainly defined by the stated position of his church! And possibly a covert worshiper of the Muslim faith, even today. This guy desires to rule over America while his loyalty is totally vested in a Black Africa!
I cannot believe this has not been all over the TV and newspapers.
This is why it is so important to pass this message along to all of our family & friends. To think that Obama has even the slightest
chance in the run for the presidency, is really scary.
Click on the link below:
This is the web page for the church Barack Obama belongs to:

http://www.tucc.org/about.htm
(click on above link)

Snopes' take on it.

The Church's responses to criticisms

I haven't seen any requirements that you have to be black to join, but it is interesting and I'm still forming my thoughts on it. It doesn't seem necessarily racist to me, but it's certainly a possible problem for him. Especially here where I live. Was wondering if anyone here had an opinion to offer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:33 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
There is a very large section of this country that is running scared that it has become a very real possibility that a woman or a black man will be the president in the next election. They are going to grasp at EVERY straw they possibly can along the way. This includes the not so new "incite panic among the stupid".

The nice part is, when someone forwards an email like that to you (or the infamous "ZOMG OBAMA IS A MUSLIM AND WE CAN'T HAVE A MUSLIM PRESIDENT!!!!!!!" one), you pretty instantly know you're dealing with a complete fucking retard that lacks any capacity to think for itself and is simply regurgitating what the dying breed of dinosaurs that pull its strings want it to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:36 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Could be a problem with him getting elected. Doesn't really bother me though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:29 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
If a white presidential candidate's church had a similar statement and "you substitute the word white for black, there would be an outrage in this country," [Sean] Hannity preached. "There would be cries of racism in this country."

True and Catch-22. If a white church plainly and proudly pronounced its whiteness, Hannity, [Tucker] Carlson and company would be right. But if it was the Holy Trinity Polish Church on Chicago's North Side, proclaiming its Polishness, who'd care? This is how African Americans find ourselves in a trick bag. We're defined racially even when we're acting like any other of this nation's ethnic groups. Issues knee-jerkily become black and white when in reality they may be African American and Irish American. Or Serbian American and African American. Remove black and substitute another American ethnic group so that Trinity's Concept <NOBR>No. 6</NOBR> reads: "Adherence to the Mexican Work Ethic." Does that still sound separatist? Or racist? Of course not. But, if you're insincerely espousing color blindness, while holding the race card up your sleeve, you know you can easily trump African-American ethnic pride every time.

This sums it up IMO. Perfect response to the illogical argument of complete color-blindness, although granted more importantly it addresses the culture inherent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:13 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
That would be true if the natural citizens of African nations, and the practitioners of African faiths were all black (or if all black people were racially African for that matter). The church is restricted to black Africans, so to use the example correctly it would be "brown Mexicans". Obviously skin color is a factor in their admission.

I have a hard time believing that they'd exclude a white person from attending their services. Something about that alone just doesn't sit right.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:17 AM 

Like you said, I too doubt they would deny a white person from attending. Where does it even say that? The closest it comes to it is the declaration that it's a Black church and follows such traditions, it doesn't specifically forbid it anywhere on their website that I found.

Regardless of whether or not ALL blacks follow these traditions, there's still a significantly higher likelihood that a black person will be following these traditions and fit in culturally as opposed to a white person.

In addition, black culture is defined not only by the cultural traditions they follow, but also the experiences they go through on account of the color of their skin. For a white person to grow up in a black household and claim they therefore know everything about black culture is still coming up a bit short. It's partly experience that unites certain cultures, and in this case that's definitely part of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:20 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Quote:
But if it was the Holy Trinity Polish Church on Chicago's North Side, proclaiming its Polishness, who'd care?

Interesting, I never thought of it that way. Will have to consider this more and make a more indepth response later.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:05 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

How can you live in this country and not know that there is a long tradition of black churches, especially in the South and in urban areas? I'm not even backing Obama, and I think this is ridiculous.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:45 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
There are a lot of things that people find normal for regular citizens that they wouldn't approve of for a president.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:32 AM 

Yeah. This'll be an issue.

Quote:
Barack Obama is a member of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ. Its minister, and Obama's spiritual adviser, is the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. In 1982, the church launched Trumpet Newsmagazine; Wright's daughters serve as publisher and executive editor. Every year, the magazine makes awards in various categories. Last year, it gave the Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. Trumpeter Award to a man it said "truly epitomized greatness." That man is Louis Farrakhan.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... inionsbox1

That disturbs me. This is Obama's spiritual adviser?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:50 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Leaders have advisers to gain insight. A leader's job is not to blindly follow their advisers, but to synthesize information, weigh in their advisers' agendas, then derive and implement decisions.

None of us are going to agree with 100% of our advisers' (and we all have them) words or actions. I haven't seen anything in Obama that reminds me of Farrakhan. In fact, that's a name I hadn't even thought about in years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:51 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Someone's riding the Clinton campaign bandwagon if they believe that article.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:29 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
I'd love to say, "Church and State" here but we all know that it's been so intertwined now that there is no going back.

None of this bothers me as a white male, regardless of my political views. Nor do I care if he is a closet transvestite who dresses up like RuPaul when he can. I also really don't care if he wants to pee in his wife's mouth for sexual pleasure.

It's his personal life, who cares. You throw all these candidates and prospects into a pot, and you have to pick the lesser of the evils...so to say that progressive politics are dead, only baby steps will be taken from now on. Progression is not what America wants which is why some candidates are doing poor. Weigh your odds when you pick a candidate, most likely they will have a platform that isn't as strong as you like, or a particular view that you don't hold in high regards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:24 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Posted yesterday: Obama condems racism and Farrakhan's anti-Semitic remarks -- http://www.barackobama.com/2008/01/15/a ... i_semi.php

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:06 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Quote:
I'd love to say, "Church and State" here but we all know that it's been so intertwined now that there is no going back.

And let me mention here just like I did on the other thread-- aside from perhaps the whole Faith-based charity funding that Bush introduced, in what way has this "been so intertwined now?" I hate to break it to you guys, but it's ok for politicians to have religious views, and it's ok for them to make decisions based on those views. This doesn't mean anyone is being forced to follow any particular religion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:50 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Fribur wrote:
I hate to break it to you guys, but it's ok for politicians to have religious views, and it's ok for them to make decisions based on those views. This doesn't mean anyone is being forced to follow any particular religion.

I agree with that 100%

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:32 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

As I always knew it would, expect this issue to come back strong here in October.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:14 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Yeah well Palin can't really attack it with her protection from Witchcraft and believing in jesus horses. /shrug

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:25 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

The right will try to resurrect this issue but without Wright sticking his nose out in the public again it wont get any play anywhere but Fox news.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:09 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Yeah, if McCain goes the church route expect to see some WITCHCRAFT ads.

"It's witchcraft...." ol' Blue Eyes.... ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:09 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
McCain should run this as an ad:

Offline Profile