It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:21 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:17 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

From ABC News:

Quote:
A Houston, Texas woman says she was gang-raped by Halliburton/KBR coworkers in Baghdad, and the company and the U.S. government are covering up the incident.

Jamie Leigh Jones, now 22, says that after she was raped by multiple men at a KBR camp in the Green Zone, the company put her under guard in a shipping container with a bed and warned her that if she left Iraq for medical treatment, she'd be out of a job.

"Don't plan on working back in Iraq. There won't be a position here, and there won't be a position in Houston," Jones says she was told.

In a lawsuit filed in federal court against Halliburton and its then-subsidiary KBR, Jones says she was held in the shipping container for at least 24 hours without food or water by KBR, which posted armed security guards outside her door, who would not let her leave. Jones described the container as sparely furnished with a bed, table and lamp.

Quote:
Finally, Jones says, she convinced a sympathetic guard to loan her a cell phone so she could call her father in Texas.

"I said, 'Dad, I've been raped. I don't know what to do. I'm in this container, and I'm not able to leave,'" she said. Her father called their congressman, Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas.

"We contacted the State Department first," Poe told ABCNews.com, "and told them of the urgency of rescuing an American citizen" -- from her American employer.

Poe says his office contacted the State Department, which quickly dispatched agents from the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad to Jones' camp, where they rescued her from the container.

According to her lawsuit, Jones was raped by "several attackers who first drugged her, then repeatedly raped and injured her, both physically and emotionally."

Jones told ABCNews.com that an examination by Army doctors showed she had been raped "both vaginally and anally," but that the rape kit disappeared after it was handed over to KBR security officers.

Quote:
Over two years later, the Justice Department has brought no criminal charges in the matter. In fact, ABC News could not confirm any federal agency was investigating the case.

Legal experts say Jones' alleged assailants will likely never face a judge and jury, due to an enormous loophole that has effectively left contractors in Iraq beyond the reach of United States law.

"It's very troubling," said Dean John Hutson of the Franklin Pierce Law Center. "The way the law presently stands, I would say that they don't have, at least in the criminal system, the opportunity for justice." [/b]

Will likely never face a judge and jury? Are you kidding me? Why in the hell are we giving people the ability to do whatever the fuck they want without any consequences whatsoever? Who the hell thought this was a great idea? And if these people can do this to an American citizen, I shudder to think what they do to non-Americans. It is amazing to me that the Justice Dept would drop the ball on this. I will be writing all of my federal representatives on this matter. Consider this young woman your sister, your mother, your daughter, your wife. (I believe she was married at the time) Doing so fills me with a murderous rage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:05 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
I saw this story the other day and I have to agree with your sentiment. The fact that people were willing to not only harm this woman, but then that others were willing to allow that harm to go unpunished by getting rid of the evidence is truly disturbing (though I wish I were more surprised by it).

I would like to know why would someone would trust an agency to carry evidence when it was their own employees who perpetrated the crime? That makes no sense. There should be a long line of people preparing to go on trial in this situation, but instead they're being allowed to go on about their lives as though no one did anything wrong.

I really do hope that somehow the people who are responsible for this have their names leaked to the public. They deserve all the ridicule and torment that they would receive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:22 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
This makes me feel physically ill. It scares the hell out of me to think what might have happened if she hadn't gotten a cell phone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:16 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

The alleged victim testified before Congress today. Here's the story from ABC News. Congressman(R-TX) Ted Poe's quote says it all for me:
Quote:
Jones' congressman, Ted Poe, R-Texas, also testified at the hearing and told the committee how he has not been given any answers as to the status of the investigation by DOJ or the State Department.

"The Department of Justice has not informed Jamie or me of the status of a criminal investigation against her rapist if any investigation exists," Poe said today. "It is interesting to note that the Department of Justice has thousands of lawyers but not one from the barrage of lawyers is here to tell us what if anything they are doing. Their absence and silence speaks volumes about the hidden crimes in Iraq. Their attitude seems to be one of blissful indifference to American workers in Iraq," said Poe.

The Justice Department has clearly dropped the ball here. Why? Amazing they didn't even feel the need to show up! Unbelievable! As Congressman Poe said, and as I alluded to previously, this speaks volumes about the hidden crimes in Iraq.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:26 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Tarot wrote:
This makes me feel physically ill. It scares the hell out of me to think what might have happened if she hadn't gotten a cell phone.

Seriously.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:54 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I'm surprised they let her live to talk about it. I think this sort of thing happens more than most people think, but you never hear it because the victim is dead.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:07 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

EQ1: Faeadari
WoW: Faeadari
DraagunSoulstealer wrote:
I'm surprised they let her live to talk about it. I think this sort of thing happens more than most people think, but you never hear it because the victim is dead.

Yeah, but harder to "coverup" a dead American Woman then a dead iraqi woman.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:47 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
true, because dirt is such a precious commodity over there :headbang:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:01 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

It's a legal black hole. No one thinks its okay for this stuff to go on but the Department of Justice has no authority over any crimes that take place in Iraq. If an American murders another American in Europe that crime is tried in Europe. This doesn't change just because we are talking about Iraq. The only exception I have heard to this is when an American goes to another country to do something that is legal in that country but not legal in the United States such as so called sex tourists. If we catch someone doing that then they are generally brought to trial.

Unfortunately Iraq's courts don't have the power to enforce any laws on American rapists. They couldn't even successfully kick blackwater out of their country after that massacre.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:58 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

And she still hasn't had her day in court.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:12 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

pretty fucked up

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:30 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I'm sure this kind of stuff would/does happen whenever you have people who are confident they can get away with it.

Kinda like the cops that shot the homeowner, and things like that. It's hard to have too much trust in people that have power over you, because humans generally really aren't too nice by nature.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 AM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

EQ1: Slyfinger
WoW: Booji
She was asking for it, look how she was dressed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:35 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

Alexander (R-TN)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Bond (R-MO)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johanns (R-NE)
Kyl (R-AZ)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Wicker (R-MS)

The list of senators who voted against the rape amendment!
http://www.opencongress.org/roll_call/show/6179

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:47 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

It's not a "rape amendment", now c'mon. No need for dramatics.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:57 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Rape amendments FTW!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:16 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Plus two abstentions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:56 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Both my Senators, no fucking surprise there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:12 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Perpetuo / Bupas
WoW: Proven
http://www.republicansforrape.org/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:49 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Ok, that's retarded. This isn't any better than the retarded shit that the Republicans have been throwing out lately, either.

"Republicans for Rape"...really?

It's not a "rape" bill to begin with. It addresses an issue that could arise in a case like this ladies', but it's not a "rape bill".

Seriously, leave the hyperbole behind. ><

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:12 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Republicans plan for rape is... don't get raped. And if you do get raped, get raped quickly and quietly.

Offline Profile