It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:34 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:06 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

I grabbed this game after seeing its favorable reception Metacritic (which was the only place I had seen any mentioned of it at all, up until that point). It's a psychological thriller-puzzler, with 9 parts psychological thriller to 1 part puzzler. More simply, it's a graphic novel packaged as a video game with some room-escape elements.

And it is amazing - maybe the most entertaining game I've played this year. I sat down to play it and shut it off only after completing it 7 hours later. Yeah, that was totally absurd of me, but I couldn't help myself. (And if you are guffawing at the 7-hour playtime, keep in mind that to really complete the game takes several playthroughs - all of which I am looking forward to.)

The main draw of this game is not its typical (but fun) and neatly-packaged adventure elements, but in its plot and expert story-telling. The storyline is on the far-fetched side (think Lost), but well thought-out and hugely engrossing. And also creepy and panic-attack-inducing. I'll note, though, that I don't yet have a comprehensive understanding of the storyline, as that necessitates multiple playthroughs - so take these thoughts with a grain of salt.

Warnings: Like I said, this is closer to graphic novel than video game. You are going to spend the majority of your time reading and absorbing plot. Be prepared for that if you do give it a try (especially for the primary opening cut scene, which clocked in for me at over an hour). Also, while it's not terrifying (a la Amnesia), some of it will leave you feeling unsettled - especially if you play alone in the dark (which I recommend!) - so if that's not your dig, maybe stay away from this one.

But yeah, this game is super entertaining and addictive. I highly recommend it. I'm only barely restraining myself from kicking off my second playthrough immediately. That will have to wait until tomorrow (and only because it's already after midnight).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:10 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I saw the reviews online this for game. Looks like it's a must have...I really like the novel format big time. Thanks for sharing :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:09 AM 

I completely completed the game last night. My mind went supernova.

Get it!

Offline Profile