It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:06 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Borderlands
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:21 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

The game will be out on both the PS3 and Xbox 360. Anyone interested in Borderlands? Seems kinda of interesting to me. TONS of guns and it's a RPG shooter which is unique for most FPS'

Borderlands ships to stores this Tuesday

Borderlands

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Borderlands
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:13 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Its also going to be 40$ up here in Canada if any of you canucks (like me) were on the fence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:28 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
this like mass effect?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:59 AM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

My understanding is that its an FPS/RPG/Sandbox with Diablo like loot and random weapons. To be honest though I haven't followed it too closely, going to look at metacritic over the next couple of days before I decide. Forza3 is on the 27th and everything will stop for me when that comes out, so picking this up tomorrow will only get a weeks worth of play until I put it aside for a long while. The only reason I am even looking now is the 40$ up here thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:48 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:50 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

This was actually a pretty good read:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10 ... rderlands/

It does a better job of selling the game than watching the video.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:21 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
It seems like a really good idea, but I'm pretty confident there's going to be three or four gun combinations that will be the most efficient/powerful, discovered in the first month, and effectively make the remaining 49,996 useless and obsolete.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:48 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Roommate got this game today. Game is VERY cartoon-ish looking- everything (and I mean everything) is highlighted with a black line around it. It almost looks like you are playing a moving coloring book. I guess since every single FPS is trying to look ultra realistic that this is a "fresh" change... but geez. I did not like the initial looks of it. He (roommate) says you get used to it so take that for what it is.

The idea of a FPS with role playing functions is cool- he kills monsters, levels up his skills that way, just like your standard RPG fare. You basically are a mercenary it seems, and you can do all these quests to get coin/XP and more power and such.

It seems cool. I just could not get over the whole black outline around every single thing in the game...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:10 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Crackdown did the same cell shading effect, I prefer it to the uncanny-valley look games are getting to now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:05 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
The driving is horrible and almost gamebreakingly bad in this game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:58 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Yeah I'm not really impressed with this game so far, hopefully it comes alive the more you play and/or when you go online, because otherwise it's just kind of a generic FPS where you can upgrade stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:13 PM 

This is like the most boring game ever. I fail to see what all the hype was about, other than online co op. It might be fun for some, but man, this shit is just so bland. Rent this is you were curious. I'll finish the first playthrough at least just to see what happens down the road.

If I can keep my god damn piece of shit car on the road that is. Jesus Christ the driving is so bad. Accelerate with left stick, steer with right. I could change up the control scheme, but that would mean I would have to change back every time I jumped out of the car because even the default controls for being on foot are fucking stupid. Who uses scope/ironsight with R2 and shoots with L2? Dumb. Fuck console FPS.

Speaking of that, Gearbox made all this noise about how awesome of an FPS experience it would be on the PC. Turns out the PC version is nothing but a shit direct port of the console version and has tons of issues with menus. Like you have to half navigate stores with the mouse and then finish up with keyboard emulated console commands. No push to talk settings for mic. Hell not even the option to do so. Fucking terrible. Not a big deal except for the fact they were doing everything except blowing people to convince them that the PC version would be the shit. Fuck lazy ass developers.

They should really call this game "Walk backward and shoot stuff" because that is 90% of the game thus far. Co Op changes the game from that to "Don't run backward as much, but spend the time you don't reviving your team every 10 steps." There is no epic gun fights because the AI is dumb. I've found several places where I can just get bandits to stand there facing the opposite direction while I shoot them. No bullet drop or steady cam means easy headshots all day long with pretty much any of the 87 bajillion guns with any form of scope. Shit it isn't even that hard with ironsights.

87 Bajillion Guns, most of those you will find at the start with such Diabo prefixes as "Terrible" "Rusty" and the like.

The character select gets you pretty excited, but really means very little. Especially if you're going at it single player for the most part.

So yeah rent it first. If you are planning co op, make everyone rent it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:04 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Asked roommate today how game is going- he is up to lvl 22. He says the driving takes a lot of getting used to, so in conjunction with prior posts probably means it is not that good. He enjoys it, he kinda compares it to a Fallout type of game. Now I haven't played neither, just going off of a gamer who has played both /shrug.

I still don't like the cell shading, or cartoon shading, or black outline, or whatever you want to call it. I guess I just prefer a more realistic looking FPS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:57 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

It's a better game experience than Fallout, but Fallout isn't a good experience until you're far enough into the game that every random combat encounter is not an 80% chance of death. The look works, but the mechanics aren't great to start.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:07 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
Team fortress still outclasses every shooter i ever feel the inkling to try out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:16 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

I had a good time with my first playthrough of the game. I just avoided the cars as much as possible, as they do drive like ass and get stuck in world geometry at a near-constant basis.

The guns get a little more varied around level 20 or so, with great random modifiers starting to appear. Shotgun that shoots rockets? Check. Gun that fills a room with ball lightning? Check. Sniper rifle that fires 6 rounds tightly grouped with each trigger pull? Yup!

The difficulty curve is ridiculous though. The first playthrough becomes mind numbingly easy after level 25 or so, but when you start the 2nd playthrough (think Hell difficulty Diablo2), the difficulty ramps up to the point that I could barely step foot outside the newbie town.

Sunk about 20 hours in it so far and still playing it. Good game, but needs a lot more polish, which they are actively patching in/working on DLC to fix.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:15 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Havent had any problems with driving on the XBOX version, enjoying the hell out of the game, working on my second playthrough now, I like it even more now that the monsters are a little harder and we just get a chaotic number of them on the screen with 3-4 people. Not enough creature variation overall, good co-op experience, alot of guns, which is cool, alot of trash guns though. Overall I really like it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:18 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Playing a Siren and I had to laugh when she laughs and says "I'm really good at this"...It's like something my mother would say while playing Wii Bowling.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:45 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

So I was not going to get this game at all but it seems like a lot of you are enjoying it, so would anyone say this game isn't worth getting?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:31 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Rent it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:49 PM 

Not even the upcoming DLC makes this worth 60 bucks. Rent it and beat it in a weekend. Pretty much no reason to do multiple playthroughs unless you just HAVE to be level 50.

If that is the case, you get 3 runs.

Avoid the PC version at all costs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:07 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I have no clue what is different from consoles and PC for this game. Can you explain why the PC version is bad? Just wondering because that is the one I'm playing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:33 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
I'm playing the PC, and outside of the lazy UI implementation and the pain in the butt that it is to connect to certain people, I'm having lots of fun. I play with friends though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:17 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Okay yeah I agree the menus are terrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:26 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I have the xbox360 version and I'm really enjoying it. The sound track, cartoony graphics and dialouge are right up my alley for a change of pace action/rpg game. I love mixing up the traditional 1st person shooter with some skill trees, classes that matter and multiple weapon options that actually matter. I don't think I'm moving as fast through the main storyline as others either, but I'm doing all the side quests I can (some of them are rather amusing). I'm level 30 now and not sure how much is left before I finish the game, but I must have 25 hours in already. I did spend about 5 hours fooling around with all 4 classes to see which one I enjoyed the most though, so I guess only 20 hours into the storyline. I'm just getting to Trash Coast now, and my guess is I'm a little past halfway through.

As for the vehicle driving, it is different, but rather simple once you realize you are not steering, but more point and clicking. Where you move the crosshairs to is where the car goes, it's like a Diablo driving sim. Once I got that through my head I started driving much more efficiently.

While I usually agree with the general consensus around here I'm going to buck the trend and say this game is worth buying, not just renting for the weekend. I fully intend on playing through normal level as a different class, so I'm expecting to get 50 hours game time in (not even counting any co-op), and that's enough to warrant buying for me.

It kind of reminds me of a dark humor version of Mass Effect but with no dialogue options.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:03 AM 
I am a Spaceman

The problem with the game is that everything in it is done at a very basic level. The leveling, the loot, the enemy variety, the co-op is all there but none of it has any depth.

The talent trees are mostly just efficiency upgrades and there's only like 3 talents in the whole game that bring anything new to a class. The special abilities for the different classes are really just kind of ho-hum and mostly seem like window dressing. Only Brick's punch mode is actually fun to use. Mordecai's bird is really strong, but you just hit the button and he flies around and does whatever. Lilith's Phasewalk is useful but not exciting. Roland's Turret is downright awful.

The AI is terrible and all the enemies either rush at you mindlessly or stand around in one place. The only challenge comes in co-op or at the end of the second playthrough when the game throws larger numbers of enemies at you with higher hp totals. Boss fights are incredibly simple, and aren't really a change from fighting normal dudes.

The loot is incredibly boring. There is variety but only in terms of a specific weapon having 1.2x extra zoom instead of 44% recoil reduction. The first time you get a special elemental weapon it's neat, and then you get 1000 other elemental weapons that do the same thing and it doesn't really matter. Even the special rare weapon mods are mostly useless. The only ones I found to have any value were ammo regeneration and a specific elemental damage multiplier.

The unique weapons you get from bosses and quests are also always outclassed by random drops from vendors and chests. I pretty much only used two weapons throughout the entire game and only switched them out when I found a higher level version of that same specific weapon. The grenades are also notable for being almost completely usesless, which is disappointing since it seems like they actually tried to add in some variety there with some neat grenade mods.

Also, the gunplay in general for the game is really stupid and awful. All weapons have flight time and it's really slow unless you're the girl class and actively stack weapon velocity bonuses. You can snipe someone, and if you're far enough away, the AI will react to you firing at it and move out of the way before the bullet reaches them. Half the weapon types (Sniper Rifles, Rocket Launchers, Shotguns) are basically useless because of how much they're outclassed by the other half (Revolers, SMGs, Assault Rifles).

The co-op is fun situationally. As long as you're doing the main quest and fighting bosses it works, and luckily there's just enough of that to make it enjoyable. If you try to play co-op in the other parts of the game, doing side-quests and exploring, it turns into everyone just randomly stumbling around the map with no real coherent goal and is really boring.

The way the quest progress works in co-op is also really basic and the game suffers from it. Unless you always play with people who are on the same step of the story as you, you end up having to replay the same areas over and over gain. It's tolerable in small doses, but it starts to grate as you play the game more and the initial luster wears off.

All that being said, there's still fun to be had with the game. The final impression I have of Borderlands is of it being a missed opportunity. If any of the game's different aspects had a greater level of depth it would have been really amazing. Instead, it's just far enough above average to be worth your time, but not really good enough to have long term appeal.

It's hard to say whether or not it is worth a purchase definitively. If the style of gameplay really appeals to you, or you have gaming bros to play through the co-op with then I'd say it is. If you're just going to stick to the single player I'd say it's more of a rental. Also, on the PC you can play online with the pirated version with no restrictions. Good job there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:50 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
I love this game. The way encounters and gear scales by how many people you have involved in the game is really well done. I find the story compelling and was impressed at how well it brought me in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:16 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

In my opinion, anyone who suggests that Borderlands is better than DA hasnt played DA much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:33 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
The comparison isnt really valid... I only play Borderlands multiplayer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:19 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

You made the comparison first, sir.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:44 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!