It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:15 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Demon's Souls
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:43 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Anyone else pick this up so far? It's an action-RPG for the PS3, where the main gameplay element is you dying. A lot.

I preordered the collector's edition from Amazon a while back, and it came the other day. First time in a very long time I've gotten a collector's edition of anything.

I haven't had the time to put more than an hour or two into it, but I like what I see so far. I'm playing as the Royalty class so it's about as much ez-mode as this game can get. Starting with the Soul Arrow spell and mana regen ring can make some of the early encounters a lot easier.
I'm still on 1-1, probably pretty close to the boss. I stayed way the hell away from the red-eye knight though.
I'm looking forward to the online functionality. There's no way to specifically pick a friend for co-op, but if you happen to see PSN ID Taborcarn in your game, wave or something.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Demon's Souls
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:14 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
This game is the hardest game. It steps on your balls and grinds them to dust.

When you kill things/use certian items, you get souls. Souls are this games form of currency. Also they are this games form of exp. Souls are EVERYTHING. You advance your characters stats with souls. You buy some gear with souls and upgrade it with souls. Souls souls souls.

When you die, your souls get reset to zero and you must get back to the point in which you died and left a bloodstain on the ground to retrieve them. Unfortunately for you, this means you have to start the level you are on all the way from the beginning with EVERY MOB RESPAWNED. If you die a second time on your way back, your first bloodstain is gone, meaning your first pool of souls is gone.

Forever.

Example. You are a new player. You are playing level 1-1 "Think Diablo" and have gotten what you believe is fairly far in the level. You have about 4,000 souls which is a lot to a new character. You have just defeated a blue eye'd knight with a two hander who is a fucking BEAST. As you celebrate by pumping your fists in the air IRL, you failed to see the three zombies approach from behind and they fuck your couch because there is no way to pause the game. You die.

You fight back all that way and the blue eye knight with the 2 hander puts it in your ass. Your original stash of 4,000 souls is forever gone, and now you must fight back through all that shit again to collect your shitty pile of 300 souls.

Getting hit in this game sucks. Even with decent resists and gear, sometimes enemies will just destroy you in a few hits. It's challenging. You have this riposte attack, where if you use it at the right time when an enemy attacks, you negate the blow and can follow up with a super hit. It's great when it works. If you miss, you get hit. And that shit hurts.

You will die. A lot.

It doesn't hold your hand either. No road map "or map map" and no signs pointing you in the direction of what to do next. No pause button and all menu interaction is done in real time.

This game has a shitload of weird things about it that is pretty hard to describe. There is a kind of PvP and it depends if your character is alive or in spirit form and how you get summoned into other peoples games. I have had people come into my game and just sit there with a bunch of mobs thinking they will off me when I attack them. Unfortunately for them I just knocked them off a bridge first then took care of the mobs. Other times I've had people just charge me down and I rape them with my spear.

If you're connected to PSN, you're playing online. As you go through levels, you will find these bloodstains on the ground and clicking them will show you how another player recently died in that area. It can be funny to watch people do dumb shit or actually give you insight about upcoming danger.

You can also leave messages behind for other players. Select from a pretty big assortment of prewritten things.

You can build a character however you want, and the starting classes offer nothing more than just different pre built stat distributions and different selections of gear. The hardest part is actually having souls to spend if you keep pushing through a level instead of going back to the nexus to spend them. I've restarted so many times thinking that was the solution. Nope. The best way to play the game and win is to not suck shit at it. I'm used to hack and slash games, and I want to wade in and destroy foes while screaming at them. 9 out of 10 times this means death in Demons Souls. You really have to play smart, and sometimes cheese your way through.

It's a great game I think. Unfair many times, but when you do well you feel like a real man.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:27 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Yeah there's no rushing in in this game. I'm playing it scared, real anxiety while walking around an unfamiliar place. I pretty much turn all corners as slow as possible and with my shield up.
I learned about the no-pausing thing the hard way. My first death post-tutorial came when my phone started ringing while a was across from a bridge. I hit start to go to the menu and answered it, and came back to find something across the bridge had seen me and made its way over to bash my face in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:40 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I've finally gotten this. I am a lemming. Seriously.

It's an awesome game though. For a sadistic ballmasher.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:34 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

It's easier once you get the combat down and get a little practice in. Some of the boss fights are just plain epic. Really enjoyed the 2nd boss, nothing beats trying to dodge that hugeass lance and shield smash into the ground.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:38 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Boss fights are pretty cool, yeah. I've gotten the big guy down, the false idol, and I cheesed past the armor spider with 100 arrows and a thieves ring. Everything pasdt that is kicking my ass so far.

Offline Profile