It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:01 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cross Edge
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:12 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

I didn't see anything when I searched it but all I have to say is if you like RPG's, JRPG's, NIS games....any of them you need to play Cross Edge.

Its hard (compared to modern rpg's), has like 25+ characters to use (you play with 4) that all learn various types of attacks,magic, etc that can all combo if performed in the right order. Its a some what complex system but once you learn it you are good to go.

The game is turn based but you have a real short timer to combo your moves so there is never a dull fight. On top of that there is just layers upon layers of strategy depending on where you put your characters, breaking the guard of the enemy etc.

You gain stat points, equipment points, TP points (used to buy goodies that you normally don't have acces to). You get stat modifiying customs, you can upgrade all the gear you get with EP points etc.

Its just way too complex to explain but its easily in my top 5 all time games. There is a NG+ mode and a 3 level of difficulities (I HATE the idea of that in any RPG but they pulled it off perfect here). A few things carry over if you go easy> normal etc, but if you finish a hard you start with everything. There is a "Truth" ending that can get that opens up 2 more levels of complete bad ass boss fights that truly test you.

So much variation and choices.....its just a great damn game. If you call yourself an RPG fan you must get this game! Easily 200+ hours of play if you want. The story is alright, its really good if you appreciate NIS type humor....definitely some adult content and abunch of semi-nakid girls/cat girls/demon chicks..

Its on the PS3 atm and coming to Xbox I think. Its not actually a NIS game, its a cross over game that combines characters from 4-5 different games and they all wind up in a world that is basically creating itself from bad energy etc. Decent plot and more characters then "War and Peace".

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Cross Edge
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:30 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

My interest is piqued, but some of the reviews I've read leave me pretty concerned. Still though, it feels like there hasn't been much of a steady flow of good RPGs of late.. so I may give it a try for shits and giggles considering they helped with Disgaea.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:55 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Yes, there has been a lot of people pissed off at the game reviewers....mainly because they have no fucking clue what they are talking about. If you do get it go ahead and buy it, you will be playing it for a while.

Also go to gamefaqs.com .....some games I don't like to ruin the secrets but it really helps explain the game in the faqs and the general board section. The game is just awesome.....once you get felicia pump her avoidance up as much as possible and she can avoid tank for you so you don't need to use any of the tanks which all kind of suck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:20 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Turbo should review every game. Good or bad, he'll make it sound like the cat's meow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:16 AM 

I dunno about that. There are probably a lot of more simplistic gamers that would cringe at the thought of "200+ hours", 25+ characters, complex ability/magic system, combo turn-based, and from what it sounds like a decent amount of customization... all in a JRPG. Me personally, that's enough to get my nerd gland tingling a little bit. Of course, if the gameplay is really crap, not much of that matters... but knowing that some of the listed developers made the Disgaea series, some of that stuff could be a good sign.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:08 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Yes, in the odd 9 years of the board I've put my stamp of approval on probably 6 consule games...omg!!! I have a very limited taste when it comes to games and only a unique few truly make me enjoy playing them. FFT, FF3, Disgaea 1/3, Makia Kingdom, NBA Live series (even though the fucking bugs are annoying), Romance of the 3 Kingdom Series.....thats about it champ.

Since your so on top of my posts I'm sure you have noticed I never post on any consule games because I don't play anything out of my niche or if I do I usually just do not enjoy them (I can see why most would though).

Cross Edge happens to combine just about everything I truly enjoy in a consule game.

Oh I lied, I was a pretty big fan of Civ Revolutions taking into consideration it could never recreate the PC Civ experience and also Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre but those are pretty ancient. Most games just don't do it for me.

Offline Profile