It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:25 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:50 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

My oldest is about to turn 6 and I'm starting to let him play more PS3/360 games and less of his Leapster. Not much, but some. The only games I've let him play so far are the lego games, which are a blast, especially playing with him.

Any recommendations? I'd like to stick to the PS3 as that's what I have two controllers for, and anything I can play with him, or race against, etc., is preferred. Is there a Mario Kart-like game for PS3? Is Little Big Planet really appropriate, from both a content and mechanics standpoint?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:09 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
You know, if you want to shell out for a wii...there's a lot of cool kiddie stuff for the Wii.

Unfortunately I don't have the PS3 so, can't help you. Though the Lego games are a lot of fun. He might like Tetris too if there's a cheapy tetris for the PS3. I would look up puzzle and family games on like EBgames and check the age recommendations, then adjust for your son's abilities. I mean something that says 8+ might really be okay for his skill level.

G'luck :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:04 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Viva Pinata(there are several different games), it'll be a lot more fun when he starts to read more.

Castle Crashers, The Maw, there's a cool ass little community game called Miner: Dig Deep my kids liked.

Just kinda browse around there's lots of cool stuff. I just made profiles for my kids so they use those and aren't connected to Live but I can download stuff off mine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:24 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, maybe you're better off getting them into reading books than gaming. Or perhaps literal gaming such as Soccer/baseball since 6 is a good age to start.

I'm only 24 and I have no kids, I am not trying to sound smug or superior in anyway. I started hardcore gaming when I was 14 or so, and it seemed to only hinder any schooling and other activities I could have been involved in. I could only imagine how I would have been on sensory overload if I was exposed to a 360/PS3 at such a young age.

Anyways, get them a Wii if you stick to that route it keeps them moving at least and kids need to stay active.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:03 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

My nephew's hand eye coordination has improved by leaps and bounds in the last 6 months since he's been allowed to play games.

Just because they play games doesn't mean that's all they'll do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:11 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
We just got a Wii for the family (12 & 9 yo) have a "free" Wii Fit package coming in the mail in a day or so. We spent a good portion of the night playing games together last night. It was fun

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:09 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Boom Blox would probably be great for kids, it's fun and can teach some puzzle-based problem solving.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:37 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Buy a premodded Wii. Then apply Homebrew Channel. Burn Dora the Explorer and Diego (all 6259259 releases), install a few VC games like the Mario ones and enjoy countless hours of quiet!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:15 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

Elessar wrote:
Buy a premodded Wii. Then apply Homebrew Channel. Burn Dora the Explorer and Diego (all 6259259 releases), install a few VC games like the Mario ones and enjoy countless hours of quiet!

I think it's easier to hack a wii now so you don't even need a premodded wii just youtube tutorials on bannerbombz exploit and bootmii. You will need an SD Card of at least 512mb, i'd get the 1gb SD they are cheap.

Bannerbombz will make it hackable so you can put the homebrew channel on it.
BootMii makes your Wii unbrickable should you do something really wierd to it. From there you can also install DVDX(allows you to watch dvds on your wii)

Also you probably want to look into getting an external hard drive and USBLoader GX. I just got USBLoader GX running this weekend and am already backing up all my games onto my HD, it's great I don't have to worry about losing my discs or in my case my DVDs/Games are in another room so I can be lazy =p. USBLoader GX Also will play games region free so I can play PAL/JPN games.

A little more info on USBLoader GX and the eternal HD, if you do go that route the external hard drive will be formatted to WBFS so you can't use it on anything else unless you partition it. There is a program called WBFS Manager that will allow you to add, remove, and even transfer games to your normal computer hard drive from your WBFS HD. Another good thing about USBLoader GX it will auto compress your games for you. I put in my copy of Smash Bros Brawl and it copied it onto my HD in 5mins and it was less than 3gbs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:49 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Rock out together with guitar hero. Maybe it will spark some musical interests as an added bonus!

Offline Profile