It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:22 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:26 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Might be the case with Grand Slam Tennis for the Wii. Yeah, I CAN'T wait for this game (I love a good tennis game)! It supports MotionPlus and read this hands-on for more information. Also, EA promises a very nice online setup for the game too. Up to 4 players online. Maybe Nintendo can put some effort behind their games and try to counter games like this. Mario Tennis anyone?

We finally try the enhanced version of EA's forthcoming sports effort -- and it's amazing.

Once you plug in the Wii MotionPlus dongle, the title auto-recognizes it and takes advantage of its added precision. Simple, no fuss. And all of a sudden you play Grand Slam Tennis very differently. Rallies become much less about timing and much more about the motion and positioning of your swing. The experience considerably more natural and intuitive than any tennis videogame I have ever played, Wii Sports included. And you'll notice this added control fidelity the moment you start playing. If you bend down with the controller in hand, your athletic superstar will do the same, positioning his racket in a lower formation. If you raise the controller above your head, so will he. If you hold it at mid-level, he will too. And you can play the match in these formations.

Forehands and backhands are legitimately read and translated, occasionally at your expense. If you anticipate shots and prepare a forehand or backhand correctly, you'll be golden, and your rallies will be intense and long. But if you misread a shot, go for a forehand and then correct to a backhand, your character will try to do the same, which takes a second, and you might actually flub the shot because of it. You don't have to do that, though, because you can play the way you want to. If you find, for example, that you just don't like your backhands, you can attack left-corner court returns with forehand swings. You simply position the Wii remote sideways as though you want to hit a forehand return and your character will go into the position and strafe over so that you can hit the ball. Works flawlessly and feels very dynamic.

Without Wii MotionPlus, rallies are all about timing. Based on when you swing, the ball will fly off in a certain direction -- very similar to Wii Sports Tennis. With MotionPlus, it's all about your form, power and followthrough, the latter of which is very important. You still use A and B-trigger as lob and dropshot modifiers, which just works. But less emphasis is placed on your timing. As your waiting for a serve or for a return, you twist the Wii remote about and your on-screen character will do the same. And when you finally hit it back, you'll need to consider whether to hit forehand or backhand, speed, and the positioning of the Wii remote at the end of your motion and arch. In my play test, every ball I returned shot exactly where I wanted it to go. Even better, if I cut my followthrough midway on a return, the ball would curve inward toward the middle court instead of outward toward a corner, which is amazing.

I can't wait to play a lot more of the game, but even now two truths are rapidly becoming evident. First, EA Grand Slam Tennis is better than Wii Sports Tennis even without MotionPlus support. But with it, the game is in another league entirely. Look out for more coverage of the extremely promising sports game soon. In the meantime, be sure to check out a new trailer in our media section.

Grand Slam Tennis

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:07 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

So how much does it cost to make the Wii to work like it was supposed to at launch?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:56 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

More accessories yay!

Offline Profile