It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:58 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Elidrin
WoW: Avelle
I can't believe there isn't a post about this game yet. Due out next week on the 24th I think? IGN posted a review but I don't usually give a shit what "game reviewers" think in general. For what it's worth they gave it an 8.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/955/955258p1.html

I don't think the game is going to be revolutionary at all, but I think it will be a fun jrpg regardless of that fact.

Avelle 75 PLD/DRG/DRK/BRD
Midgardsormr - Active again
Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:05 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
The only review I've read so far was the Game Informer once, which basically said the game was ok once you got through the first 3 hours (I guess the dialogue is terrible up to that point but the main character is painful to listen to for the entirety).

I'll wait a bit for some player reviews to hit before checking it out...I've played all the other Star Ocean games so I'll end up playing it eventually.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:45 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I stopped reading reviews about JRPGs since Lost Odyssey came out with a 78 average and I clocked in 20-30 hours on it. Still my favorite RPG on the XB360 thus far.

I'm really really looking forward to Star Ocean, my only worry is the Infinite Undiscovery engine that it's using(I've heard horror stories about the bugs in that game). Looks to have an interesting storyline, combat system, some potential replayability with the tag team dialogue system(whatever it's called), and it looks to be a fairly long game with a lot to do. I'm in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:28 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
20-30 hours on Lost Odyssey? I clocked 70+. I don't even know how the hell you could finish the game in 30, especially doing the optional dungeons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:49 AM 

You're right actually, that's a pretty low estimate on my part. I need to dig through my discs and check the timer on it. I never really paid too much attention to the time, I just thought to myself "That was fucking long". I'm pretty happy with an epic solo RPG if it provides 30+ hours, but Lost Odyssey was definitely more than that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:13 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I have 92 I think clocked in on Lost Odyssey, but I guarantee at least 20 to 30 of those are from falling asleep while playing because the dialog was so damn boring.

Star Ocean wins because of Ashton's barrel fetish.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:08 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

Ordered a copy off Newegg, should have it in a few days... I liked the last 2 star oceans they put out, after watching some videos I just hope the characters aren't the cliche annoying ones japanese games fall back on too often.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I'll probably pick this up soon. I never played the other Star Ocean games, but at least I can hope this is a better gaming experience than The Last Remnant. I wanted to like that one, I really did.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:30 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I'm about 10 hours into it so far, its pretty good IMO. They took the typical SO battle system and added a few things, improved it a bit. Story is pretty good so far, there's still a ton more before I even take a chip out of it but its interesting enough to hold my attention.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:00 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I'm also about 10 hrs in. Thoroughly enjoying the game so far, except the red barrier shit in the 3rd area. :X You'll know what I'm talking about if you've been there.

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:03 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

My only gripe thus far is that it doesn't save your bonus board after you've saved the game, so next time you play you have to spend a bunch of fights getting it just right again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:01 PM 

I've never gotten into action combat RPG's, I like the old school turn based stuff. How much is just random button mashing?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:09 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

You can random button mash if you want but theres strategy to it if you want to. Pulling off blindsides takes work and different button combos do different moves, like flipping the stick up and attacking will launch enemies for a juggle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:01 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I didn't care much for action rpgs either Joxur, but this and Vesperia are definitely worthy of picking up.

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:23 AM 

I'll go rent it from blockbuster. thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:26 AM 

Hey I actually really like the live battle system thing, so I'm glad I rented this. I have to say, though.. the voice acting is awful, across the board. Lymle is absolute torture. I think that might take the cake for most annoying character in any video game, ever.

Pretty good game though, I can't complan much other than that. The bonus board is fun - is that a new concept or do the other live battle rpg's have that too?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:29 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

joxur wrote:
Hey I actually really like the live battle system thing, so I'm glad I rented this. I have to say, though.. the voice acting is awful, across the board. Lymle is absolute torture. I think that might take the cake for most annoying character in any video game, ever.

Pretty good game though, I can't complan much other than that. The bonus board is fun - is that a new concept or do the other live battle rpg's have that too?

I think the bonus board is unique to the Star Ocean series. Tales of Vesperia had an overlimit gauge that built up and allowed you to do some crazy things but it wasn't an exp bonus or anything. If you like Star Ocean you should definitely try Tales as well by the way. The voice acting in SO4 is pretty god damn bad though. I seriously hate the fuck out of Lymle and Sarah is just about as bad. The rest are pretty tolerable. Glad you're enjoying it!

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 PM 

I just got Sarah into the party, and, yeah. About as bad as Lymle. I mute the audio during the cutscenes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:02 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

<battle ends>
"That feels pretty good, 'kay."
"Diligence! Diligence!"
<shoe flies at TV screen>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:27 AM 

Maybe I'm just desensitized to it, but I feel as if I've heard worse. Plus, her voice sounds about on par with what you would expect from the voice acting. She's supposed to be a completely abandoned 15-year-old girl whose parents died(I'll avoid too many spoilers that happen on the second planet here), and because of those events she ended up remaining childish and very introverted. She sounds almost exactly like you'd expect.

In some ways Mack and Cook seemed more annoying in Lost Odyssey, simply because they too often detracted from an otherwise serious storyline. Star Ocean doesn't seem to make the mistake of taking itself too seriously, and from the getgo you half-expect the silly anime-ish themes and cliches to pop up from time to time.

Dunno, somehow she just strikes me as "realistic" than "downright detracting annoyance". She's the little kid in the party, and it's more of an "ok, whatever, it's an anime RPG" for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:37 PM 
Bridge Dweller

It's not terrible, but it's hokey.

Offline Profile