It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:11 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
EA Shift Focus to Wii
Riccitiello looks to rival Nintendo on its own platform.
by Martin Robinson,

UK, February 4, 2009 - EA's John Riccitiello has spoken of how the publisher is to place half of its emphasis on the Wii, as it looks to 'rival Nintendo on their own platform'.

"Nintendo is the leader; they're getting half our emphasis in terms of title counts," said Riccitiello in the company's Q3 earning call, picked up by videogaming24/7, confirming that the hugely successful console will be a key platform for EA.

A Wii version of the space-bound survival horror Dead Space, announced in the same call, appears to be one of the first signs of this new focus.

I wonder which system will receive the least amount of support? :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:20 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
Too bad EA games on the Wii fucking blow. :|

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:30 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Too bad the Wii fucking blows.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:46 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
OH GOD PLEASE EA, GET THE RIGHTS TO HANNA MONTANA AND LET ME VIOLATE HER WITH THE WII SHITMOTE. OH GOD YESSSSSSSSS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:44 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Gosthok wrote:
Too bad EA games on the Wii fucking blow. :|

Boom Blox is a great title on the Wii. Even better if you play some multiplayer too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:37 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Ah, forgot about that one, have heard nothing but good things about it.

I'm sort of disappointed at whats on the plate for the Wii in the next few months. And this announcement doesn't do anything to get me more excited. Usually I'm satisfied with first party games, but... all we have on the plate from nintendo is GameCube remakes? Really? :|

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:41 PM 

As much as I think the WII sucks, the 360 and PS3 are not a whole lot better off. My entire Gamefly library (if I ever get a game in) is full of FPS. The console genre is way too FPS oriented for my tastes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:49 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Good question, Goth. What is Nintendo working on? Its like the old NES days if I remember right. They never released much content compared to the third parties. I hate when companies do remakes instead of new IP's and games.

Yeah Joxur...too many shooters and racing games on the market (sports too). Where are the great RPG's Sony? Man, I want the PS1 and PS2 RPG content again. Those were the days

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:07 PM 
What does this button do?

joxur wrote:
Too bad the Wii fucking blows.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:05 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

yay, I love my Wii...

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:45 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I don't get what people get out of posting they dislike the Wii on every single Wii thread that is made. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Yes, I agree Goth. Different tastes for different people. Or they just cant stand the fact Nintendo is WTF owning both MS and Sony in hardware sales (software too) :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:02 PM 

Yep all triple A titles for sure!
1 Wii Sports 160,623
2 Wii Fit 158,072
3 Mario Kart Wii 72,875
4 Wii Play 66,455
5 My Fitness Coach 35,662

I CANT WAIT FOR XBOXSPORTS KART FITNESS! All the Wii is doing is dragging everything down, when developers see they can get away with garbage(except Mario Kart) and make money they are going to pull an Activision and ditch all original titles.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:07 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Hey, don't go knocking on Wii Fit!

Might not be a game but it is a decent... whatever the fuck it is! XD

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:39 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

It does not matter if you like the games or not. Sales are sales, and they don't lie

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:46 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Also, of course shitty games will be so abundant on the Wii, I had plenty of shitty games as a kid due to them having disney characters on the cover. That never stopped good video game makers from making video gaming gems, and it is definitely not stopping them now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:52 AM 

Quote:
It does not matter if you like the games or not. Sales are sales, and they don't lie

Yet, I think this may be exactly why people talk about the Wii sucking. It's a bit of a tired analogy, but the McDonald's analogy makes a lot of sense - the food sucks in almost every way, yet it is some of the most popular food in America.

It's also cheap, easily accessible, and appeals to the masses while maintaining a significantly subpar quality.

The game selection is simply so utterly poor that gamers with (IMO) more refined tastes go: "Why the heck is this selling?", and feel obliged to tell people just how much it actually sucks.

It's just that... it would be all fine and good if the top selling games on that list were actually the GOOD Wii games - because there are a few.

It's a good system for party games, no question. It's not so good if you're not quite so easily amused so as to be satisfied by a selection of 3-4 good titles for an eternity while Nintendo takes a year or two to gather up the next line of first-party titles.

Course it's also the fact that XB360 completely blows anything else out of the water with it's long list of excellent quality games. I say that as a closet fanboi of the PS3, of which a part of me wishes it would rise up out of the ashes.

The Wii shouldn't be competing, but it is. That's what makes people respond. The absolute most casual, least knowledgable, and least nitpicky easy-to-please gamers allow the system to survive and that list proves it beyond a doubt.

Speaking of game quality, I bet if you found a good collection of movies for the same people using Wii Fit to get in shape while they do jumping jacks or something they would be equally satisified with the "game quality". You don't even need a game there for those people, just a distraction.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:34 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
Course it's also the fact that XB360 completely blows anything else out of the water with it's long list of excellent quality games

That is true. MS has done a great job with their content this gen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:27 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

People on this board are all the time crying about games not being revolutionary, Wii Fit is exactly that and people still have the nerve to knock it, hilarious.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:48 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Maybe if Wii Fit had GoW type graphics everyone here would LOVE it!!

Because we all know great graphics means the game will be good no matter what :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:08 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I think the difference between you and most other people is that most other people think "this game is a piece of crap" and you think "this game sold millions, therefore it is great". I don't give a shit if a game is the #1 seller of all time. If it's a gimmicky piece of shit, it's a piece of shit, regardless of however many Wii Moms buy the thing for their kids. If you look at the top sellers, almost all of them have some stupid gimmick (Wii Pad, Wii Balance Board, Wii Steering Wheel, etc) that appeals to the Moms and the Wiitards. It's good business sense (obviously) but it doesn't hide the fact that most of the shit released is just that ... shit. Regardless of how many millions of units they ultimately sell.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:37 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
"this game sold millions, therefore it is great".

When did I ever say this? I am showing how Nintendo (the MAJOR underdog coming into this gen) is raking in the big $$$ unlike Sony these days. Pay back is a bitch, no Sony? :D

When I post sales numbers its to show the what is selling, and how Nintendo is not dying off like a lot of people used to think. Just because a game sells millions, does not mean its great.

I guess Neesha is the only person who does not see I only post about Nintendo sales, not the other companies like M$ and Sony :P Yes, I'm a Nintendo fan boy, but that does not mean I like Wii Fit (I have not bought it, not my cup of tea). I never said "this game sold millions, therefore it is great" EVER, not once. I am showing how successful Nintendo has been the last few years. I think you misunderstand what I'm saying, Neesha.

If your statement was true, I would buy/love MGS4, GoW 2, CoD 4 and many more high selling games...like Rock Band (it sold millions so it must be good...right its a POS series, and I wished people stopped buying them). One thing tho...if a game sells a lot, chances are its a good product for its target market. That's common sense more than anything. Its not always the case tho. I think Neesha has a hard time understanding what a "target market" is because Wii Fit is not for people like you...but it does not know its a pos because its not something you would enjoy.

Hell, I hate Football, but you don't see me replying to Football Pool threads saying: "Football is for retards and losers" Or, "it takes no skill to play Football" because I don't like the sport. Same thing comes to mind here, like Goth was saying too

P.S. Btw, Neesha. My friends have Wii Fit and they are far from Soccer moms :) It sounds like you are closed minded when it comes to the Wii. It could have some great games, but you would never give it a try. I never understood why people are like that. "OMG I will look stupid if someone sees me playing this game" That is the feeling I get from people who are against anything other than a normal setup for games.

Funny, before WoW, most people thought EQ gamers were fat ass losers who had no lives lol Now, MMO's are not soo nerdy anymore. For real, Nintendo is targeting a new market to sell their products because they can't compete against Sony and MS directly (that was the case before the Wii was a huge hit). They took a risk, and it paid off big time. Just because people might not enjoy games like Wii Fit (yet LOVE DDR LOL go figure), does not mean its a bad product like you think, Neesha.

Like I said, I have friends who are in their 30's and love it. They are not married and no kids. Wii Fit is like DDR in a lot of ways I think. Some people love the gameplay and ideas behind them. Is DDR a pos game too, Neesha?!? Or is that not gimmicky like Wii Fit? They should have very similar gameplay btw (kinda of)

Also, unless you have played the games, how do you know if its a gimmicky pos? Because you don't like it...is that why hahah And you are saying Mario Kart Wii is a pos? Riiight, I believe you are right 100% on that statement too lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:11 PM 

Gamecube..."Wow, these are some pretty awesome games, and they are very very fun to play."

Wii..."Wow, these are the exact same games I have already purchased for my Gamecube, and or Nintendo DS except now I can play them with an even shittier controller. Thank you Nintendo for providing an online library of your old games that are actually good or else I would have bricked this waste of money of a console months ago. What, no expanded storage? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

And Mario Kart Wii isn't a piece of shit, because it is exactly the same as the previous 3 Mario Karts. However...

IT IS THE SAME FUCKING SHIT EXCEPT ON A DVD MINI AND I CAN TURN PRINCESS PEACH WHILE MAKING JACK OFF MOTIONS WITH MY HAND.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:55 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

So?

If it's fun for their target audience, what's the problem? :P

Oh, and I have to disagree with you Evil, WiiFit is nothing like DDR. DDR is an actual game, WiiFit is just a little toy that is fun to play with and also has non-gaming uses, such as keeping track of your weight and providing you with exercises. And that is what seems to be Nintendo's purpose lately, to create interactive pieces of software that are not necessarily games, yet to me are also not horrible or complete pieces of shit.

The games they do make are fun enough for me to keep supporting the console. And I actually quite enjoy the motion controller in some games, so, whatever.

I don't get what exactly the issue is though, seems like we have game consoles out there that attract a wide variety of users by offering a wide variety of software. And I don't see what's wrong with that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:59 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
And Mario Kart Wii isn't a piece of shit, because it is exactly the same as the previous 3 Mario Karts. However..

Yeah you hit the nail, Givin. I agree Nintendo needs to advance their series to the next level, but I don't think its going to happen when Mario Kart Wii was the best selling game of 2008 :(

I might love Nintendo and their systems, but I do see how LAZY they have become, or they fear advancing their IP's too much because people might not like the changes (and wont sell). I would had passed on Mario Kart Wii if it did not have online gameplay. At least its a blast online tho haha

One thing, I do like the ideas behind Wii Fit and other motion based IP's from Nintendo. They are using new ideas, but they need to really start taking risks with their other old school IP's too. I'm all for new ideas, unlike some people here :P

Last edited by Evilundead Afterlife on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:05 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:02 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
Oh, and I have to disagree with you Evil, WiiFit is nothing like DDR

Well, I meant they both have "gimmicky" gameplay and uses a pad or board, the same thing for the most part if you know what I mean :)

Quote:
And that is what seems to be Nintendo's purpose lately, to create interactive pieces of software that are not necessarily games, yet to me are also not horrible or complete pieces of shit.

The games they do make are fun enough for me to keep supporting the console. And I actually quite enjoy the motion controller in some games, so, whatever.

I don't get what exactly the issue is though, seems like we have game consoles out there that attract a wide variety of users by offering a wide variety of software. And I don't see what's wrong with that.

Well said old man...well said

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:35 PM 

I think the biggest problem that "games" have with the Wii is that is encourages you to get off your ass and MOVE. The arguments of oh the graphics such are just week at best.

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:44 PM 

I think the Wii is a shitty platform, but I think it proved an important concept and is a brilliant device. I know that's probably a contradiction.

I'm not interested in playing wii games because they seem gimmicky, but it's also a great first step in making gaming much more interactive, and i think it follows a separate path from more traditional consoles. I just prefer the power and games available on the 360/ps3, as well as the media center capabilities.

But it's definitely unique. They need to find ways to get better games that fit its unique playstyle and stop regurgitating content.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:57 PM 

I don't see too many people complaining about Wii's graphics, I do see a lot of people complaining about how intricate the gameplay is on countless games.

I suppose a few might complain about getting up and moving around, but from what I've seen most Wii games you can easily sit down and play, with a little finger-waggling required.

Quote:
People on this board are all the time crying about games not being revolutionary, Wii Fit is exactly that and people still have the nerve to knock it, hilarious.

Personally, I've always said on these boards that a game does not have to change a whole lot to be good, case in point WoW. Refinement of a genre, as I've said many times over the years, is an art unto itself.

That being said, I'm still not quite sure what makes Wii Fit "revolutionary". People have been using peripherals to exercise while videogaming since the NES PowerPad... I suppose the best you could say about Wii Fit in that category is that it specifically sponsors itself as a weight loss game... and yet, is having a calorie counter in your game really a revolution unto itself?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:13 PM 

Also, I won't knock the console sales too much(seems legit enough, they've found a specific casual marke to sell to), but I would say one thing about the software sales: They are inflated in large part due to the very fact that Nintendo has such a LIMITED selection of good games. I would like to see the total software sales, period, and extrapolate from that. My understanding is that Nintendo made the most revenue, but that in large part is probably due to both console sales and games like Wii Fit being slightly more expensive. Total amount of software sold seems much more interesting to me, and it tells me that those people think that there are multiple quality games worth buying(rather than just a few expensive ones).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:37 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Evilundead Afterlife wrote:

I wonder which system will receive the least amount of support? :lol:

Atari Jaguar?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:39 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I was thinking the PS3 myself, but you might be right about Atari :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:54 PM 

Quote:
I wonder which system will receive the least amount of support?

Undeservedly, I might add, Mr. PS3 basher!! =p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:38 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
PS3 and Xbox360 is for gamers, the Wii is for everyone else.

Nintendo games are retarded, but never underestimate how retarded "people" are.
They really did a great job of appealing to non-gamers (which is a bigger market than 15-30+ year old males).

There is a big market out there of people looking for family friendly entertainment.. not everyone wants their 12 year old playing "Kill Fuck Factor: Death Fuck III"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:39 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
"Kill Fuck Factor: Death Fuck III"

lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:04 PM 

Excellent points, Draagun. I can't argue with that.

I think issues arise when Kill Fuck Extreme actually ends up having good gameplay, which occasionally can actually be the case. When that does happen, and Nintendo doesn't support a game because it has a droplet or two of blood, it just looks pretty funny.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:14 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I might have to buy a Japanese Wii for the 500 stages 4 player CO-OP Bubble Bobble remake...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:34 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Quote:
Kill Fuck Extreme actually ends up having good gameplay, which occasionally can actually be the case

And that happens a lot. The issue I ran into when buying games for a 12 year old's PSP was that all the "cool games" were rated M - which is not cool to give as a gift to a little guy.

So, I got the Jax and Daxter PSP bundle and not the God of War bundle.. A lot of sports games are too complicated for kids so that doesn't leave a lot.

That's where nintendo comes in. They have a cornucopia of stupid little kid games for... erm ...stupid little kids.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:27 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
So Wii is a piece of shit and should be abandoned or developers should make something of it instead of making gimmicky games with the controller? Even if they do make great games that are compatible with the Gamecube controller will it be enough since the graphics can't match the PS3 or 360? I think not.

It's never going to be good enough (and it doesn't have to be, because if it was there would be no forward thinking). Just enjoy the Wii for what it is though, what's wrong with that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:15 PM 

I haven't seen one good use for the fucking controller yet. Except that boxing game on Wii Sports thats fun as hell.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:18 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

So what? It didn't live up to expectations (yet?). Gamers being let down after being hyped up...hell you can say that about anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:47 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Yeah, but this is what... going on 2-3 years of disappointment.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:33 PM 

MadWorld might be a great Kill Fuck Extreme game, but it will turn out to be complete shit because you have to play it with the Wiimote. No idea if you can use classic or not.

As far as being used to being disappointed? What is there to be excited about on the console. I bought the entire library of good games for the Wii back in the 80s, 90s and turn of the century. Everything else is a near carbon copy of that with very little touch up paint.

The Wii isn't bad at what it's doing. It has that audience it's been pigeonholed into controlling by the balls and refuses to let go. My biggest gripe is that it could easily take a second hand full of nuts of another audience if they would just try for it. It doesn't even have to be original shit. Legend of Zelda with Gears of War gameplay. Toss in some real functional stuff by actually making the wiimote an extension of the game instead of a magic fagwand to cast a fishing pole. God damn dare to dream.

But no. We will see Mario Kart 00 and it will sell like a motherfucker because sweet jesus you can drive as fucking Birdo now. And we will see another mediocre Zelda game that started off awesome, but eventually became loaded down with so much horse shit it no longer resembles a zelda game at all other than being a gold disk.

Wii is great if you want a console you can sit and play with your crotchmuppets and tell them "When I was your age we played games just like these" stories. I can't even bill it as a system good enough play with the bros when you are piss drunk anymore because there is so much other fun shit to play everywhere else. So yeah, enjoy the Wii for what it is. Every other Nintendo console packed into one with shit storage space.

Now you're playing with power. Because you free up about 5 plugs on ye ole surge protector.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:05 PM 

lawl

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:18 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

The Nintendo DS had a very slow start too. But, I think after the first year or so, there were good games on the system. Right now, the Nintendo DS is their best system on the market. Its great, and I'm hoping the Wii follows its lead. Time is running out tho...its been over 2 years, and we will see what 2009 brings.

At least Deadly Creatures and The House of the Dead: Overkill have a few good reviews on the net so far. I'm planning on buying them in the near future (if I can stop playing MMO's for a few weeks that is) lol

Givin, even Tenchu: Shadow Assassins for the Wii has good reviews too. Good games are on the way, its just taking a long time for the core gamers

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:58 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Here's the issue though, Deadly Creatures is a rental. But it is a great start in the right direction. The game should cost 25 bucks. :|

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:14 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Most games are rentals now though, you know?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:29 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Not for me, no. I like to buy games still, when I can.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:45 AM 

Chalk me up as a buyer as well. When I get a game, I like to explore every inch of it, but not in one night. Occasionally I'll sell em off later on Ebay, but more often than not I find myself drawn to playing it again for old times' sake later down the road.

To each their own, though =) I think of it as a really fine piece of chocolate. I feel I'm doing myself a disservice if I swallow it whole, or chomp it down.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:38 AM 
Lois Lane!

*Shrug*

I enjoy my Wii. My son enjoys it even more. If I could afford another console, sure, I'd get a PS3 or Xbox. But I can't.

The games might not be a gaming paradise, but kiddo and I enjoy playing them together. He's a huge fan of the Lego games (I know, they're available on other systems, too), and he likes being able to steer for Mario Kart.

I probably only own 10 games or so (and have another 3 on loan...which have been in my collection for at least 9 months :p). But that whole "affordability" thing makes it difficult to increase it, and I wasn't impressed with Gamefly.

Replay value for my 5-year-old is great, though. He doesn't mind doing it over and over.

So calling the Wii a piece-of-shit system is kinda bogus. It works for some, doesn't for others. I hate FPS games, but I don't say they're shitty just because I don't care for them. I acknowledge that others find value in them. To each their own and all that jazz...

And comparing Wii to McDonalds? Just eww. I wouldn't say Wii is crappy like McDonalds food, but I will give you this: Like McDonalds, Wii has managed to out-market its opponents. Additionally, it started out much, much cheaper than Xbox 360 and PS3. That alone pushed up its sales.

Additionally, because the company underproduced its product, I think people bought it just because it became the "IT" thing to purchase. It was selling out, so it must be good, right?

Either way, kiddo and I like our Wii.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:10 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
See, the problem with your statements austy is this :

The Wii was sort of meant for kids.

You have someone to play with who has fun playing it.

The Wii is a fine system if you have a lot of people to play it with, who don't mind replaying the same scenario over and over. Some of us like a little bit more "meat" to our games.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:37 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
So calling the Wii a piece-of-shit system is kinda bogus. It works for some, doesn't for others. I hate FPS games, but I don't say they're shitty just because I don't care for them. I acknowledge that others find value in them. To each their own and all that jazz...

Yep, I used Football to try and hit home, but its the same point you are making here :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:40 AM 

Quote:
If we don't lash out at the Wii, what else are we going to use all of our excess testosterone for?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:43 PM 
Lois Lane!

Vana,

That's not a problem with my argument. If it's meant for kids or people with kids or people who like lighter games or whatever, people who are looking for that can still enjoy it. I'm just saying it's not necessarily crappy because it doesn't fulfill the all-powerful gamer's dream. It's still a fun system for some.

Evil,

I could have used all sorts of examples, but I think it might go over some people's heads. :p To them, it's a shitty piece of work, period! (My other favorite example is rap. I think rap is shitty noise. Period. I don't consider it music or enjoyable. In fact, it kind of makes my head hurt. But I acknowledge it is a form of art that some people enjoy and find value in. So I'm not going to dismiss someone else's enjoyment just because I don't find any in it.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:02 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Yep Austriana...It wont be the last time people don't understand because they don't like it, everyone else should hate it too lol.

I don't like Microsoft as a company, but I really like the Xbox 360 tho. It hurts me, but what can you do

After all, consoles are great to kill some time on, but real gaming is on the PC side with MMO's anyways /grin

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:55 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Evilundead Afterlife wrote:
After all, consoles are great to kill some time on, but real gaming is on the PC side with MMO's anyways /grin

...which are only good if you don't have a group to play REAL tabletop with. ;)

*shakes cane*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:48 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I wish I had enough friends to play tabletop games with! QQ

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:48 AM 

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, but I think at some point you can tangibly say "this is shit". I would be disappointed if I dipped my arms into a bucket of paint, flinged them outward onto a canvas and someone declared the result a work of genius.

I wouldn't be surprised if some overzealous person could go through rap's rhythyms note by note, and find a tangible disquality to it that clearly demonstrates a certain inferiority of it when compared to other music. Just as it would be possible to suggest that my playing the same note 200 times over is inferior to classical pieces.

And there's no question there will be people who enjoy it, and it may even have good qualities that separate it from the pack. But at some point a spade must be called a spade. And I think a lot of game enthusiasts of long standing would agree that game for game aside from the few classic first-party titles, Wii's gameplay comes up lacking.

Professional review sites often reflect that as well. I can count Wii's 9/10 games on 10 fingers, while you'll find perhaps 50 or more for XB360.

Taste counts for something, but those kind of numbers(from many different independently-minded reviewers) don't easily lie. It's for that sheer volume of 9/10 games alone that I don't understand what would bring a gamer whose emphasis is on actual gameplay and enjoyability(that may not be some people's cases, granted) to choose the system that will bring the least of that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:01 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I am loving the Wii, but for reasons none of you would probably guess. I brought my Wii to my school (I'm a band director) and students who stay after school to practice their instruments are rewarded by being allowed to play on the Wii. We have a projector screen and nice sound system in my band room, so the students love it.

Whatever motivates my students, I figure. I have 15-20 kids now that stay after school to practice their instruments, every day (not always the same kids). They have Smash Brothers tourneys rather frequently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:17 AM 

How old are these kids? And no I'm not setting up some stupid horseshit about how the Wii will only attract that audience.

You could take in a Gamecube with Super Smash Bros Melee and Mario Kart and produce the same result. Actually I would be interested in seeing how people react to that.

Offline Profile