It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:52 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Which everytime I play it, I crack up. I spent 200 dollars on a high end video game console... only to play a popular four player card game in high def :P

What makes me chuckle even more is that I own some pretty good games (GoW, GoW2, CoD4, Forza, Dead Rising, Dead Space, Orange Box) and yet I always seem to go back to UNO. I think this is partly because of two reasons-

1. I am trying to finish up achievements on UNO- five more victories unlocks my final one to get. It will be the first game I fully "achieve" or whatever terminology is used.
2. The game is on my Arcade compilation disc. The only way I can play it is to have the disc in the console. I tried to copy just the UNO game to my hard drive, but it copies the entire compilation disc content instead. And when I go to play that hard drive copy, I have to choose "Arcade compilation" instead of just being able to choose UNO. And basically I am too lazy to take out UNO every time I want to go to another game.

I am tempted to just get some points and buy UNO and put it on my hard drive through Live. That way I don't need to have the disc in my console all the time, and can start playing the other games.

Anyways, I have bored and rambled on long enough. The reason why I posted-

I love UNO. What other smaller "cheesy" games do you love playing on your system? Don't list the obvious ones (GoW, CoD4, etc) but some of the more non mainstream games that you either bought retail or on Live...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:01 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I think you may have finally made Neesha's head explode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:50 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I actually played aegis wing for a while on live. Good times were had playing live with 3 other people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:00 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I stopped reading at Orange Box.

You're an idiot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:38 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I play Spider Solitaire for ridiculous amounts of time sometimes. I have no real reason for it; I just can't stop trying.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:14 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
catan's real good on live

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:02 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Orange Box is probably the best game in that selection! GoW2 was ok I guess. The rest pretty much sucked(and no I didn't like CoD4, all graphics no gameplay just like CoD3).

Still, you need some healthy RPGs in that list if you're going to suggest that you "own some pretty good games" =p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:45 PM 
Bridge Dweller

CoD4 is one of the most critically acclaimed games and most played games on Xbox Live. Popular opinion would like to have a word with you.

And Gears of War 2, just "ok" ? GoW2 is a shoe-in for GOTY imo. And PS: Orange Box, while good, is not (by far) the best game in his list. It's a rehash of a game, and sorry, HL2 isn't better than GoW or GoW2 imo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:04 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

yeah gears 2 is pretty good i beat it last night and was very impressed with how much fun it was, way more than fallout. also duty 4 is nothing but gameplay, i don't know where anyone could possibly get the idea that it lacks in that respect. but there aren't any great rpgs on the 360. there are a handful of decent ones.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:06 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Heh this was not a thread about the quality of games I own... it was about the silly fact that I have a 200 dollar game system and I play UNO on it. Which is laughable and funny at the same time.

Thankfully I completed all the achievements on UNO. Moving on to another game, probably either Orange Box or GoW (I don't want to start GoW2 until I finish GoW).

And I did get Lost Odyssey on sale for 15 dollars, but haven't started it yet. I guess the UNO achievement was that important lol.

The thread basically was... which non mainstream game do you play constantly/a lot which is semi cheesy and silly. Spider solitaire, Aegis Wing, etc.

I guess one nice thing about a game like UNO or the previous listed is that you can play for 10 minutes or so and then put it down. I doubt you can pick up Gears of War campaign and play for 10 minutes and then move onto other things, I dunno...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:21 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Not to brag, omg, but I just finished DL'ing Lost Odyssey. Fucker was 23.4 gigs. 4 discs. Holy shit haha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:53 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

EQ1: Kailtor(trex)
WoW: Kaltina - Alleria
LO is a good game, if you were a fan of old Final Fantasy games, you'll like it. It's not a pushover in difficulty either, the bosses can give you some trouble.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:17 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

is infinite undiscovery better than its title?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:21 PM 
Bridge Dweller

No, plagued by technical issues and glitches.

I'm playing Lost Odyssey now, but I recently got Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant, and Eternal Sonata and I'd place Infinite Undiscovery at the bottom of the list so far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:40 PM 

Yea, LO was definitely good stuff in my book. Some will be turned off by old-school turn-based-ness, but it retains the feel of the old FF's. It had a decent amount of complexity in its... "Materia"-style system, though I would have preferred a little more. Still, overall probably my favorite RPG on the system. I was sad when it was over, because I had no other good RPGs to play at the time =p

Eternal Sonata, I really loved the music and the environments in that game. The artistry is just incredible. The gameplay leaves a little something to be desired, and often you'll find yourself mashing out the "combos"(they can't even really be called that=p). Storyline was decent, not the best, but fun enough. I enjoyed it, personally. Voice acting wasn't bad either.

Tales of Vesperia is another good one... but I can't comment on it much because I haven't really given it a fair shot. I'm skeptical about its battle system, and the fights seem to last like 3 seconds and I'm just popping in and out on the world maps. Still, the story seems cool.

When I read "Orange Box" the only thing I see is TF2. Portal is fairly short, and HL2 wasn't all that good anyway(original or second). After I've played an FPS with a class system and earnable items, I'm sorry but I have little desire to play FPSs with subpar complexity on that class level. I might give GoW2 and CoD4 another shot down the road, but the impressions(and, I will grant that I didn't play them too much) I got were that they have great attention to detail on graphics and realism(especially CoD4), and the gameplay seemed like a secondary concern. I just don't see any complexity there.

Anyhoo, Skycrasher... uhh, just sayin, just because a game is popular doesn't mean it's good. Some of the best quality games produced have been massively unpopular.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:46 PM 
Bridge Dweller

like which ones? fortunately more often than not commercial success and critical acclaim mean a game is good. poor sales and bad reviews usually mean a game is shit generally. exceptions to the rule in the one in a million shot dont make the rule.

i think you just like being contrary though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:21 PM 

Virtua Fighter series beyond VF3 when the Arcade lost its popularity completely. The Suikoden series. The Disgaea series. Valkyrie Profile. The Persona series. Valkyria Chronicles(to a degree, sales are fairly low but alos fewer PS3 owners). Ogre Battle(oldie, which came before FFtactics). Earthbound to a degree(fairly popular, but not THAT popular). We could go further back and I'd argue that the FF series on the Gameboy wasn't nearly as popular as it should have been, but that's a bit far back when the videogaming scene wasn't anywhere near as popular anyway. Dragon Quest 8, as well as several of the previous DW's on NES. Some of the Star Ocean games as well. X-COM UFO Defense if I recall correctly did not sell all that well either.

Now, a decent number of those games got pretty good reviews, but not all of them sold all that well. Some sold alright, but again, not quite to the level I would have expected them to when compared to other popular games.

We can also go into overrated games that were extremely hyped for their time: FF7(I liked it, but it was far too overhyped), Quake 3(not horrible per say, but quickly outdated in gameplay), the Tomb Raider series, Doom 3, Jade Empire, Countless EA sports games(yes, they still sell..), The Sims(to a degree), Daikatana(course, I don't think that sold well =D), Hellgate London, Simcity Societies(I believe this sold ok, but not incredibly).

Could name a few more but that gives you a brief list of games that, for the most part, sucked but were either overhyped or still managed to sell well. And heck, I'll even throw Spore on that list because it didn't live up to expectations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:27 PM 

Damn I almost forgot, Shadow of the Colossus and Okami also didn't receive the attention they deserved.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:29 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Shadow of Colossus is known as one of the better games for the PS2, and most of the others listed as are all well known RPG franchies...

Daikatana is generally accepted as being the worst video game ever made.

Okami fucking sucks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:43 AM 

Well-known? Some of those RPGs are. Sold well? Not all of them, especially compared to "popular games" even if they had worse gameplay.

Hate to break it, but the masses are not the most distinguishing bunch when it comes to great gameplay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:14 AM 

What the fuck is wrong with Orange Box?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:45 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
xskycrasherx wrote:
i think you just like being contrary though.

I loled.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:46 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Psychonauts is an amazing game that did not sell well and was exceedingly well reviewed.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:12 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

One of the best games I have ever played was Grim Fandango for the PC. Came out around 10 years or so ago, was done by Lucas Arts. Critically acclaimed, highly reviewed... I think it might have sold 20,000 copies or somewhere around there. Horrific sales, but a wonderfully good game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:55 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

cool i want to get lost odyssey when i'm done with gears 2 i guess

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:10 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

I still play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (A rogue-like) at a pretty constant basis.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:24 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I'm holding out for star ocean

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:35 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I hate that term, "roguelike"

Ugh. Makes me grit my teeth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:48 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Since I've been gone a couple months I missed this but I can't help but ask...

You like it because of the women with vision cams flashing their tits don't you?

I was told this game was responsible for more bans on Live than any other single thing, heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:10 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

No. Never once seen anyone I have played on any game on Live. I have heard some of them that use their microphone (I don't have one), but never seen.

But yeah, because UNO is so easily accessible and cheap... you get a ton of people playing it. And a lot who just want to piss off others so they yell/scream/shout during play... and I have heard of the nudity thing too.

I just played because, well, I like to play UNO. One of those silly dumb quirks about me I guess. And since all of my friends are normal people and don't want to play a game like that... then Live is my only solution for multiplayer action.

Of course, last time I was on Live was right before my grandfather passed away. No coincidence of course, but it has been 3+ weeks or so... probably should fire up the system and go back to Dead Space heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:31 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Heh, I was just fucking with ya anyway. I haven't turned my Xbox back on yet since I got my internet back so my sig hasn't updated all the achievements and crap I've gotten in the last 2 months.

Offline Profile