It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:43 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:29 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I posted this a few days ago and wanted to share my awesome experiences here.

I guess there's not really shit to do in the Beta (that I have found, in my 3+ hrs of messing with it). It's a world where you can walk around to "do stuff". If you play Warhawk online, there's a Warhawk store where you can go in and set up online matches, etc... but I haven't been able to find it (and I don't play Warhawk). I think they are supposed to have "stores" for lots of games so you can go in them and set up online matches. Instead of being in the online lobby of NBA 2K9, imagine being in a real lobby with dudes standing around wanting to play against each other. That would be cooler.

There's a bowling alley where you can bowl with buddies (think: GTA IV bowling). In the bowling alley, there's a gameroom with a few games to play (one is like Breakout, I didn't play the other). It would be cool if there were real video games there... like Pac-Man... but that's not the case. Maybe if I had a bunch of PSN games, they'd show up, but I doubt it. The one PSN game I do have (Super Stardust HD) doesn't show up as a game to play. There are also pool tables where you can play pool with friends (think: GTA IV pool, only worse). Bad pool game, bad bowling, bad video games? Let's /dance!

There's a mall you can go to, but every store was closed. So it was just people standing around /dancing. If they could somehow make it like a real mall with real stores, it would be pretty cool. That's what I was under the impression would be happening. It would be cool to be able to see an Amazon.com or Buy.com or Playstation store to walk into, where you could browse the items and even purchase them. I think that's the plan, but it's not what is going on. Imagine a Pizza Hut store where you could order pizza and have it delivered to your house. Why can't I do that?!

I went to the movie theater. There were tons of people in it all standing/sitting around waiting for the movie to load. When it finally did, it was a 5 minute promo for Socom (it was live video of some Navy Seal-type dudes talking about the game). This was a good start, but when that movie ended, we sat around and the same movie just started playing over and over. Several people said "is this it?", etc. Good concept, even if it was just playing several game commercials one after the other. Instead, we had one 5-minute video in a loop. So everyone pretty much /danced.

There's a public square area (with entrances to the Mall, the Movie Theater, etc). In this area, there are a few movie screens which have ads for games. They are pretty neat in that the sound is pretty dynamic (you turn left, you can hear it out of the right speaker.. you walk away, it fades, etc). But it's still just an ad for Motorstorm. There's a little MP3 player thing that had one song I could listen to so I am not sure what its purpose will be. One song? Let's /dance!

I have my own apartment/loft thing (overlooking the harbor, with big boats and everything). It's 1 big room and a balcony and it comes furnished. The furniture is 2 tables, 2 lamps, a few chairs/sofas, and a coffee table. I can rearrange the room as I want, but I am not sure why. I can add furniture, pictures on the walls, etc, but none of it was available. So I stood around and /danced.

Overall, there just didn't seem to be anything to do, really.... Other than /dance. If you go to Youtube and search for PS3 HOME DANCE, you'll see what I mean.

Update: I made this review after my initial evening of tinkering around with the Beta. There was an update, so I played again today. Nothing has changed. The movie in the theater is still the Socom live action video with the Navy Seals and the song playing on the big MP3 player thing seemed to be the same unknown song I remember from a few days ago.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:15 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Forgot to check this out, will do so tonight. It may not be all that cool yet, but I like the direction it's going.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:07 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Agreed. It may not serve a good purpose right now, but it leaves a ton of room for interactive content as a "front-end" for PS3 connectivity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:13 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Update - they added lots of clothes and furniture in the mall. I can now /dance in new duds!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:09 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Open Beta starts tomorrow, apparently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:00 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
This is the most expensive method of watching video game trailers the world has ever seen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:35 PM 

Well, it could be worse and be the Crappy Xbox Experience.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:44 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
new xbox experience is at best a minute annoyance. i don't know what people are so upset about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:30 PM 

Actually I agree that it's not that much of a hassle, I prefer the old interface but i can get around in the new one just fine. My only peeve with it is that they have all this useless fancy shit and nearly zero new functionality. At the very least it would have been nice to be able to revert back to the old GUI, given in particular that it wasn't that fancy and probably wouldn't take up much disk space etc to do anyway.

Netflix is nice I guess, but I already have about 50 different outlets to watch movies as it is.

I just would have preferred something new. Instead it's a lot like Vista with a bunch of bells and whistles and almost nothing that's worthy of making the switch. Their time would've been better spent elsewhere.

Offline Profile