It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:45 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MK vs. DC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:21 AM 

Picking this up today... What does everyone think thus far?

Post subject: Re: MK vs. DC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:24 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I heard it kinda sucked. The graphics look amazing in the screenshots I've seen, however.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:58 AM 
Bridge Dweller

fighting games in general are lame, (i lol @ people who play them "competetively") and this one looks to follow suit... great graphics but beyond that... same as every other fighter. button mashers and luck. zero skill.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:27 AM 

I always like to have one good fighting game around. They are typically just fun to play with a friend or something to keep your gaming reflexes up to par. Anyway, a lot of the buzz around here has been which do you choose, Street Fighter 4 or MKvsDC.

Most that I heard MKvsDC is great and storyline is pretty intriquing but, it's the same old same old in regards to gameplay. This has been a positive thing since most people thought MK was getting away from it's bread and butter but some people have grown tired off it. One person had told me once you get passed the shock of Batman vs. Scorpion on the screen it's loses it's luster.

However, most people have said i'll buy MKvsDC for the story and Street Fighter for the nostalgia. It doesn't appear that either a superior fighting games.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:00 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
The few reviews I've skimmed over have basically said that while the game is visually good, in the end its just another fighting game with no substance. With my brief time playing it at a friends house (roughly 2 hours or so before we switched to Rock Band 2) I can echo that statement. The combo system is much more manageable this time around and the gimmick combat features like free fall are cool. But honestly, its a bit overly retarded to have Sub-Zero able to kill Superman with a freezing fatality but Superman (having the same fatality basically) can't kill anyone.

Speaking of which, the whole fatality/heroic brutality system is flat out stupid. The ONLY one that was cool was the Joker one where he pulled out the gun and shot his opponent in the face, but the US version had it edited to where you can't see it. Other characters finishers are just as laughable...

If you're a Gamefly kind of person, toss it in your queue and spend a few days with it...if not, wait for it to drop into the discount bin or pass outright.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:34 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Just to help me understand this genre a bit more... it's a fighting game, what kind of substance are you expecting?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:53 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
*head explodes*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:32 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
Leo...

For a while there were significant innovations in fighting games. Mortal Kombat was innovative by introducing combos at a high level, Virtua Fighter introduced a 3D element that added a whole element.

Bushido Blade 2 remains one of the best true sword fighting games I have ever played... you get hit in the leg with a sword, you arent using that leg much anymore.

This is what I look for in substance. Having a game innovate fighting in some material way. I havent seen any thing new in fighting games in a long long time.... kinda like seeing anything new in Madden...

Having said that I am picking up MK v DC simply for the reason Muligan stated, they are nice to have around to play quickly with a friend or a brother in law who was dragged over by his wife... :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:38 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
That's a reasonable answer. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:50 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Ultimate MK 3 is available via XBOX Live for 400 points, which translates to five dollars. Will probably pick this up simply because of the price point, which is very attractive for such a good fighting title.

I guess I want my fighting games to be basic. I could give a damn about story mode and career mode, all that stuff. Jump in the ring, do some combo moves, win or lose. Some of these fighting games I have tried in the past (I believe ... Soul Caliber maybe comes to mind) a combo involved hitting like 15 buttons/D-pad directions to activate. Ugh. No thanks. Give me a couple button combo to remember and I am fine. I don't want to think when I am playing a fighting game- let me think in my strategy games :)

Offline Profile