It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:38 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Valkyria Chronicles
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:33 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I'm eager to give this game a shot, anyone else looking to get it? Metacritic is giving it an 88, with a lot of reviews in the "80" zone which I might assume means a bunch of those are based on a 5-star system. I love the visuals... but that aside, I'm curious how it will shape up as a strategy/action/rpg.

Link to IGN's review:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/925/925395p1.html

I'm just hoping it has a significant enough strategy and RPG component. Either way this is looking like a potential reason for me to keep my PS3 out of the closet, other than Disgaea 3 of course.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:53 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Elidrin
WoW: Avelle
I downloaded the demo but haven't installed it yet. I'll check it out and get back to you.

Avelle 75 PLD/DRG/DRK/BRD
Midgardsormr - Active again
Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:01 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
I enjoyed the demo

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 AM 

I finally managed to pick this up yesterday. It seems that it was sold out for a while(and there were apparently some shipping problems I read about as well; not enough units sent etc). So far, I'm loving it. I'm only on Chapter 3 atm, but so far it's got great strategic depth(positioning units and using the right units at the right times in the right locations is critical), I love the waterpaint graphics, and the storyline is pretty nice so far. It's nice that you can pick your team and the units are not "generic soldiers"(I'm doubting that it affects too much of the story arc, but it adds some nice flavor on the battlefield).

It's worth mentioning that the cutscenes are ALL over the place, though it's not much of a hinderence really so long as you don't have ADHD. The gameplay starts to pick up a bit when you're allowed to do skirmish mode and level up your units. Once you get past some of the tutorials, there seems to be a bit less babbling. Loading screens are semi-frequent, but not too bad. My only other gripe is that as far as I can tell there seem to only be 5 different classes(I haven't been able to find anything online suggesting otherwise, or that you get more later).

Other than that, great game so far. Seems to be a pretty solid SRPG. Fewer strategic elements and less micromanaging than the Disgaea series by far I'd say, but that's not necessarily a bad thing and the gameplay is still solid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:23 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
I am on chapter 9 now and its a fantastic story and a great game feel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:47 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Valkyria Chronicles is getting very nice reviews, and its sold out in my area. I went to three stores over the weekend, and I could not find it :(

Its good to see a AAA title from Sega again!! Now, if they only would make Skies of Arcadia II. I'll be a happy camper :blob4:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:30 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

How is character development ven? 5 classes makes me sad but if the story is great and you can actually make decisions that effect your characters I might have to give it a shot when I go home to see the family for xmas (nothing else to do in god damn north dakota but play pinochle, drink, poker, and then video games when everyone else is sleeping)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:08 AM 

I'm definitely liking the storyline so far, it's much more mature than some of the silliness I'm used to seeing in a few JRPGs. It deals with the nature of war, etc and is basically an alternate history World War 2 Europe(with the usual stylish cutesy anime).

I don't think you can actually make decisions that actually affect the overall storyline, unfortunately(I can't 100 percent confirm that, it doesn't look like it though).

I haven't played a ton, I'm only in Chapter 5 or so, but I can say that the storyline is pretty good so far. The key aspect for me is the on-field strategy and general strategic positioning and use of units. Things like clearing off towers of enemy snipers with your scout then putting your own sniper up there I think add some depth.

Offline Profile