Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Discuss!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fallout 3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:13 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Haven't picked it up yet, waiting on the SA feedback to trickle in before plopping down $60, but I will more than likely get it on 360.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:32 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Great game. Have it for the 360. Some annoyances like the loading when going into every single building and small maps in the world when you zip around Megaton and stuff. Very cool intro to the game and playing as a baby is fun. Great voice acting too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:34 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Perpetuo / Bupas
WoW: Proven
Anyone have any experience with the other vaults yet? some weird stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:01 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
this game is kind of frustratingly hard. ammo for guns that you actually use is hard to come by, and wandering for 30 minutes trying to find minefield, for instance, only to be destroyed by a raider and 2 dogs or five of those dudes who show up at the river and show up back at megaton, erasing all of your exploration and experience gained and depositing you back at a familiar landmark which was miles away from where you were discovering new and exciting things is the kind of stuff broken controllers are made of

i'm gonna wuss out and put it on easy tonight i think. still, i enjoy the game a bit - it's like oblivion in bartertown with the right amount of linearity

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:02 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

also the game cost me $16 out of pocket because i traded in fable 2 and some other piece of junk 360 game i had in my car (nba street homecourt) for maximum trade in value.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:08 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

So if you guys had to put these games side by side, how would you rate it compared to say... Oblivion?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:33 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Different genres imo. Battle is a lot more fun in Oblivion, but the graphics and voice acting are better in Fallout 3. World definitely isn't as open in Fallout 3 as it is in Oblivion either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:01 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

i don't know i got tired of oblivion pretty quickly and i think the combat is about as fun, plus i prefer this world to another high fantasy game, it'll be interesting to see the depth in comparison, but for now i like it better than oblivion

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:53 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

From what I have played so far, I definitely wouldn't put one too much higher than the other. They're different, but the same, ya know? Kind of reminds me of playing a Civ IV mod like the Fall From Heaven one. Even though it had a fantasy spin, complete with experience to level up your units and even spell casting, in the end it's still close enough to Civilization IV. Even though Fallout is futuristic, and has guns instead of spells, it's still has an Oblivion feel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:06 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Does the world level with you like in Oblivion? That was about the most retarded invention in any game, ever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:17 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

How is advancement in the game like?

I loved Fallout 1 and 2, with the perk system, and how every stat point was really important. Now it's a different publisher so I don't know how much things have changed.

So is advancement more like old Fallout, where you ding a level and assign points, or is it more like Oblivion where your skills increase the more you use them until you reach a point where you level?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:31 PM 
Bridge Dweller

It's point based w/ perks. You get XP tho like leveling.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:32 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Jalen wrote:
Does the world level with you like in Oblivion? That was about the most retarded invention in any game, ever.

Kinda. The level scaling isn't as arbitrary and stupid as Oblivion's. Each "area" has a range of levels the mobs can be IE 13-18. If you walk in at a lower level, they will still rape your face, but if you walk in at 20, they will cap at 18. Obviously, these level ranges start off smaller near the vault and get higher as you get closer to DC.

Nekrotic wrote:
How is advancement in the game like?

I loved Fallout 1 and 2, with the perk system, and how every stat point was really important. Now it's a different publisher so I don't know how much things have changed.

So is advancement more like old Fallout, where you ding a level and assign points, or is it more like Oblivion where your skills increase the more you use them until you reach a point where you level?

It is more like Fallout 1 than Oblivion. You gain experience, level, then asswign skill points and take a perk. One perk each level, max level of 20.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:02 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

If I sell all of the random parts I find (which I can use later on to make weapons), can I buy them back from a vendor at a later time?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:04 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Yeah they keep all your junk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:30 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Never mind..

I didn't realize defusing the bomb was as easy as it is, so I have been skipping that quest. Once you defuse the bomb, you get a house where you can store your crap.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:07 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
There are like 6 story arcs that revolve around that one choice. It's awesome.

I've only made two weapons so far. Rock It Launcher and The Shiskabob.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:03 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Related to the bomb

I turned in that rat bastard in the bar and he killed the sheriff. So i immediately unloaded into him. Then got to loot them both. But, I was sad that the sheriff died. I was wondering if anyone had done an option which involves turning that fucker in, but Lucas doesn't die?

I also liked how his kid showed up and reassured me that he'd be essentially paying me for dismantling the bomb. I was also able to use my speech bonuses to barter 500 caps for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:47 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I love the rock-it launcher. I was always running out of ammo for my guns because I like shooting things instead of melee, but now I can just pick up piles of useless garbage and toss em in to shoot at things, never run out of ammo. Get the rock-it launcher ASAP if you can.

I want to go back to my save before leaving 101 and try resetting my skills and what not to try out a different style, I am almost level 8 and dont want to redo all that quite yet. I think after I finally finish the main arc I will try resetting or starting again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:08 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Tarot

When I met the guy in the bar and he wanted me to blow up the town, I told him he was crazy (whatever chat option that was) then beat him down with my bat. I gained karma and the chick in the corner thanked me after I did it. I was also able to loot his suit, his hat, and his gun. I think the suit and hat give like +5 to the talking skill and +1 to personality or something. But hey, it's a suit!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:00 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

About the guy with the suit...

If you want to rat him out to the sheriff you can also hit VATS as soon as he draws the gun w/ silencer and shoot it out of his hand so he'll continue the dialogue. Then he'll still attack and you can VATS again for the head shot. Or you can just kill him instantly once he draws.

The sheriff continues on talking out the door if you do that, but later will thank you for saving his sorry hide and he thinks he's getting slow in his old age.

I prefer Neesha's method though, and think I'll use a saved backup to return to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:09 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I enabled the bomb to blow megaton out of the map but I didn't go to the tower to meet the guy that activate it.

Only played a little bit been busy unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:13 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

I always play good the first run through, it's just my nature anyway. I feel bad if I make bad choices.

When I play it again when done, I'll go back and be a smartass. Not completely evil just usually a thief/smartass.

Then if I really love the game (and I do this one!) I'll go through and play a complete bastard. KOTOR was awesome as a complete bitch because I was able to kill Garth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:21 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I'm the same way. Fable 2 = Good. Fallout 3 = Good. I'll replay as bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:57 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

That's how I roll IRL.

Church.com boards = good
North American Motoring forums = good
Lanys boards = evil

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:14 PM 

Fire Ants are frustratingly hard. Even when you do land a successful antenna shot. 2 Soldiers on you and you're toast.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:39 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Fire Ants are frustratingly hard. Even when you do land a successful antenna shot. 2 Soldiers on you and you're toast.

yeah. ridiculous.

pretty much more than one of anything that isn't a mole rat is a recipe for near death

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:21 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Brotherhood of Steel make me moist downstairs. Here I am about to get rolled by Super Mutants and they come to save the day.

Then the behemoth shows up and killed every one of them, and me while I searched for an unconcious BoS dude with a Fat Boy(Man?)

I love this game!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:55 PM 

So I have to know, what is the alternitive paths that can happen once you find the "naughty nightware" in that one subway with the fire ants and the raiders bust in to take it from you. This can only be comedy. I didn't get a save before this and refused to give up the shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:27 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Givin Wetwillies wrote:

About hard monsters...I've simply put the game on easy mode.

Also just wanted to post about 'cheats'...I rarely cheat in these types of games. I include the "save it and if you fail retry it!" as a form of cheating and usually won't do even that unless it's a dialogue or path option that completely closes down and you're fucked.

So I'll take karma hits on hacking rather than reload, since I consider that gimpy. There's no moral judgement there or anything or 'YOU DIRTY CHEAT!' just whatever floats your boat.

I have already resorted to cheating to bypass really tedious unfun shit for me. You can easily find these cheats on the F3 boards, I'm not even posting 'em here, but it's very easy to input console commands.

Here's what I've augmented:

CARRY WEIGHT

I'm the type who will pile shit in the corner, leave, sell, return. It's a time sink for me pure and simple. So I've already modified my carry weight. I still don't bother to pick up shit I wouldn't anyway so I'm not abusing it by being a walking hoarding machine, and most of the time my weight actually remains in a reasonable range.

PICK LOCK

I hate this mini game for me it sucks. Yes, it's not that difficult but it's just another pain in the ass I don't really want to play. So I use the console to simply unlock shit I don't want to be bothered with.

and finally

WHAT IF...

I'm just really really curious about certain things. What's on that one shopkeeper's computer that I can't hack probably without killing her merc then her! So I'll save and check it out. It's just an issue of burning curiosity.

WHO THE FUCK...

Oh and when a named character who seems probably important starts sniping me with a gazillion mines around his feet, I want to find out if the crazy old coot is valuable. I already killed an important quest character and found out like 10 hours later so I'll be damned if I'm restarting...I don't want to do it again. So I'll look up the name just to make sure I'm not killing the ONE guy who can sell me a coolest thing in the game or some shit. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:50 AM 

Bah, the pick lock is actually one of the minigames I enjoy =D It's pretty simple and nothing incredible, but it's not too tedious IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:00 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Venen wrote:
Bah, the pick lock is actually one of the minigames I enjoy =D It's pretty simple and nothing incredible, but it's not too tedious IMO.

I'm sure lots of people like it, I'm not saying it's bad. I just dislike it. I also dislike a lot of the combat, so I use V.A.T.S constantly. I'm sure there's plenty of people who never use it, and prefer a more 'real time' combat situation.

I'm so lame when it comes to most combat I wouldn't mind a pure turn based scenario. Some combat is fun, but a lot of it isn't for me. Especially when six ants swarm me, I mean fuck that noise. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:01 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

So is the dude sniping you when you go search the mine field (and get a mine to bring back to what's her name) a quest dude? I thought it was odd that he had an actual name, instead of just being called "Old Sniper".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:13 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
I'm running two games at the moment. One where I'm following the Main Quest as a dude, the other where I'm basically going around and kill everyone as a chick...

Finlainea, the spoiler below I did with my Evil Chick.

If you make it to Tenpenny Tower after activating the bomb, meet Mr Burke on the top floor and you get to activate the bomb personally. Really fucking cool nuclear explosion. Your reward for blowing up Megaton is an apartment there at Tenpenny Power and some money...so basically its the same as disarming the bomb and getting the house in Megaton.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:56 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Neesha the Necro wrote:
So is the dude sniping you when you go search the mine field (and get a mine to bring back to what's her name) a quest dude? I thought it was odd that he had an actual name, instead of just being called "Old Sniper".

Yes. I killed the Overseer which apparently fucks up something important down the road. So as soon as I saw that fucker had a name I looked him up.

He's only a minor quest guy IF you're evil. Apparently you can capture him and sell him to the slavers. As you're carting his ass over there's dialogue options, and you can also talk to him once they have him in a blow up collar in Paradise Falls.

Not a biggie, but something you'd miss if you're playing that faction.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:29 AM 

It does? Dammit =(

I don't know why, but I REALLY felt like I had no choice in killing the Overseer when I ran through. I just... I dunno, the guards were shooting the fuck out of me, the Overseer is running around threatening me, the music is getting all hyper and freaky. It just felt right.

Oh well, I was planning on rolling a new one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:43 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
Yeah I killed the Overseer as well... I'm trying to decide what I want my first char's real skills to be.

i'm close to finishing Dead Space so about time to decide.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:01 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

About 10 hours sunk into this game over the weekend. I cant remember the last time I sunk 10 hours into a game over the course of a month, much less a week. This game has single-handedly reinvigorated my love of video games. Jesus.

And the best part? I haven't touched the main story line yet. I have only completed like 4 quests. (Blood Ties, Big Trouble in Big Town, the megaton bomb one, and I think that may be it...)

Oh god, I want to play more, but the roommate is using the TV. I am really hard pressed to find flaws with this game. The "Bloody Mess" perk is a bit over the top and triggers way too often for my liking (But I love the 5% extra damage). A bit of dodgy AI with Dogmeat... and the lighting is a bit too dark for my tastes during the night/indoors, but too bright during the day.

I really love the fact that you never (or at least I have never, in 10+ hours of playing) feel secure in the amount of meds/ammo/armor you have with you. I am always scraping by with 1-2 head shots then meleeing enemies down to conserve ammo, and carry 5 different weapon types with me to make the most of any ammo I do find (10mm SMG, .32 hunting rifle, combat shotty, 5.62 assault rifle, and .44 magnum scoped) plus grenades and mines. And I still have to worry about ammo conservation, with the ammo finding booster perk.

Really drives home the "survival" aspect of the game. And this is on normal, I can't wait to play on hard. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:07 PM 
Bridge Dweller

yeah i need to get back into this game

i still have a ton of games to burn but can't cuz i am out of dvd+dls, nba 2k9, madden 09, dead space, tales of vesperia, so on and so forth. so many games now i have a hard time focusing on just one.

fable 2 has me pretty hooked atm. that, and homework / moving. ;(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:14 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Seriously, why must you look for every opportunity to let us know you download games? I just don't get it. You're like a 13 year old.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:20 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Because downloading games is cutting edge, and real serious underground anti-establishment shit man. Jeez Neesha, get with the times!

(I would willingly pay $100 for this game and still feel like I got my money's worth. Jesus)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:45 PM 
Bridge Dweller

i don't care whether or not you know i download games. why would anyone care if i downloaded games?? i don't get it. it's not a bragging point. there is nothing special about downloading games.

w/e! ;D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:59 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

So why do you bring it up in every other post? Why not say "yeah i need to get back into this game but I am pretty busy with Fable 2, homework, and moving" instead of bring up - yet again - that you download games? Do you seriously not know that you do it over and over again? I'm honestly curious.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:11 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Reminds of this chick in college who would raise her voice like to double volume whenever she talked about DRUGS. Or smoking WEED. Or even COOL PEOPLE she had hung out with at that one PARTY she was INVITED TO.

I think everyone has known someone like that. Skycrasher is that person on the forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:13 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Because who cares where I get a game? Why should I tiptoe around it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:23 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Why bring it up at all? It's not an issue of tiptoeing around it, it's an issue of bringing it up in the first place. Each time a person posts about a game, should they say where they got it?

I really wish I had more time to play Fallout 3 which I preordered from Gamestop, but it's hard to find the time between driving my MINI COOPER (WITH LEATHER SEATS), watching my THREE HIGH DEFENITION TELEVISIONS, and eating FINE GOURMET MEALS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:32 PM 
Bridge Dweller

sorry

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:56 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Your signature is teh funney.

Seriously that chick in college I mentioned, she was actually a nice person and I'm sure she wasn't doing it intentionally...but jesus fuck it gets annoying. And people who didn't know her well thought maybe it was a pathetic attempt for attention.

It was like, where every normal person might slightly drop their voice, she'd go MUCH MUCH LOUDER. And she'd provide the additional details that came off goofy.

She was also Dutch, so that probably explained a lot right there.

Now I'm going to go pop more vicodin, hope my head pain goes away, while drinking my doubleshots (tm) which are colder than most people get them because I run my fridge so cold the milk sometimes gets icy. My husband ran around this morning getting me fresh bagels (which were teh yum) and now for lunch Boston Market because he knows I feel so miserable. I only ate the skin off my chicken, and a couple of potatoes though. And I feel all gross because I want a shower but I feel too lousy to even want to hop into the shower. I don't even want to game but we're doing Archimonde and Illidan tonight and I just KNOW we'll get first kill on Illidan tonight and I've been there every fucking week beating my ass on him and I'd hate to miss it. Plus watch he'll drop the bow and magically the other hunters won't be there somehow and it would've gone to me but noooooooo. Plus sharing that first kill moment with my friends.

Oh and my figureprint came and I need to put pics of that up soon. It's pretty cool, but of course I don't tell any of my non-gamer friends how much it cost. $150 on a weird looking statue under a dome? Yeah they'll get that.

Oh and my husband wore one of the shirts I got him from Jinx today to run around in. It's the major league baseball knockoff but with a skeleton instead and a sword not a bat.

He has to ask what RPG was. I toss that in there because all the male single straight gamers I know IRL (and many online) want to kill him for being with a gamer chick.

Oh and I had to check if you could see in the blinds in my office because I had to scratch my boob, and I didn't want to flash the neighbors.

Offline Profile