It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:28 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fable II review
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:32 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

8.8 from IGN.COM

"Lasting Appeal
The main quest is short, but there are numerous other distractions. If you invest yourself in Fable II, you can spend easily spend 30 hours in Albion. If not, you can truck through in under 10 hours."

Looks like a short game again.

IGN.COM's Fable II review

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fable II review
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:05 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
60 dollars for a 10 hour game? That is utterly ridiculous.

I understand all the side quests, yeah... but to say that you can finish the game in 10 hours is just sad. Sounds like this will be a March 2009 purchase for me when it drops to 30 or less. I won't even buy it at 40, not worth it...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:12 PM 
Bridge Dweller

peter molyneux is a gigantic faggot and yet another let down

oh well can't wait to torrent it down. getting gears of war 2 atm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:58 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

See xsky, this is why I wait for price drops :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:09 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Or you know... read a review, because that wouldn't solve the problem or anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:24 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Elidrin
WoW: Avelle
cicely wrote:
60 dollars for a 10 hour game? That is utterly ridiculous.

I understand all the side quests, yeah... but to say that you can finish the game in 10 hours is just sad. Sounds like this will be a March 2009 purchase for me when it drops to 30 or less. I won't even buy it at 40, not worth it...

There's an achievement to finish Tales of Vesperia in under 15 hours, yet I spent over 80 in my first play through of the game. I wouldn't hone in on that one thing and dismiss the game because you can skip everything and finish the storyline in 10 hrs.

Avelle 75 PLD/DRG/DRK/BRD
Midgardsormr - Active again
Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:36 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

I don't think anyone could beat Tales of Vesperia in 15 hours without the New Game++ mode. That game is just too damn easy to get sidetracked in without even noticing. I am about 12 hours in and barely feel like i've started.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:55 PM 
Bridge Dweller

i sold my copy when i modded my xbox but i will be getting it later and trying to finish. i was about 20 hours in, not too far but i play games slowly. it has great elements to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:09 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
I love it, haven't even played the game and y'all are basing your opinions on 1 review? Excuse me for a minute while I find another topic to go jump to wild conclusions at (maybe the SC2 post people are still whining on).

So the main storyline is roughly 10 hours, according to a professional video game review (IE Someone who gets paid to play and review games ALL DAY), big deal. Of course he's going to find a way to get through the game as quickly as possibly, its part of his job as a reviewer. Notice how he also points out NUMEROUS times that if you do charge headlong into the game to beat it you miss out on pretty much the whole game?

How many of you charged through KOTOR 1 or 2? I did the first time I played both (as dark side of course). But then I went back and did complete play throughs on both games, light and dark side. Sometimes the full value of a game is replay. Due to the way the Achievements work for 99.999999% of Xbox 360 games, 1 play through won't get you everything. Sometimes I see an achievement on the list that is interesting so I go back and try to get it (like in The Force Unleashed, there is 1 to kill 200 Wookies in the prologue level as Vader, so I started a new game and went slaughtering Wookies). Like Tales, I'm sure there's an achievement for beating the game in 'under' X amount of time. If you choose to do that with your first go at the game, so be it. But don't write the game off because of that.

Truthfully, I logged roughly 100+ hours on the original and I've been playing through "Lost Chapters" just for shits and giggles (plus the kid likes to run around and fart at people). Full price or not, I still think that the game is probably worth it and still plan on buying it because I know I'll end up spending probably the same amount of time or more on it...plus, you can bang whores...what game lets you do that (other then GTA)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:47 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Evil bases everything on what he reads on IGN.com, you should all know this by now. He rarely gives his own reviews or opinions of any games other than "this looks good, indeed!" or "I will get this when I get a TV!". That being said, the review on G4 gives it 5/5 stars. If you go to Metacritic.com (where people SHOULD go for game reviews), you'll see that the average rating of the game is an 89/100, which is pretty good (out of 24 reviews). I am not that interested in the game, personally, but I'd say the reviews for it are pretty outstanding and the game shouldn't be missed for anyone who enjoys this type of game or for anyone who was a fan of the original Fable.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... 360/fable2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:48 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Hey, 10 hour main quest alone, that's twice the original, hah.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:27 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Other sites are saying it's a 8-10 hour game but has a lot of minigame filler/fluff that expands gaming time. I dunno what to think about that. I'll play it and let you guys know.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:30 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Why do any of you buy games?

Get Gamefly, beat the damn game, get your gamerscore if that's your thing, and ship it back for another one. Buy the ones that have great multiplayer that you'll play for months or great replay value.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:41 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

joxur wrote:
Get Gamefly

There is great truth in this. Gamefly is definitely a worthy investment if you don't want to buy "every" game that comes out. If you can play 4 games a month at $15.95 (for 1 game at a time) its the same price as an MMO AND you can't bitch if you beat the game in 10 hours...simply send it back for another. The only downside is that if you chew through games you may find yourself coming up short because every once in awhile there are times when a new game has such a popular demand that you won't get it right away.

Personally though, Fable 2 is on the list of 360 games I still think is worthy of purchase...but thats because I love sandbox RPGs and my 360 needs to take a break from Force Unleashed...lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:24 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Neesha the Necro wrote:
Evil bases everything on what he reads on IGN.com, you should all know this by now. He rarely gives his own reviews or opinions of any games other than "this looks good, indeed!" or "I will get this when I get a TV!". That being said, the review on G4 gives it 5/5 stars. If you go to Metacritic.com (where people SHOULD go for game reviews), you'll see that the average rating of the game is an 89/100, which is pretty good (out of 24 reviews). I am not that interested in the game, personally, but I'd say the reviews for it are pretty outstanding and the game shouldn't be missed for anyone who enjoys this type of game or for anyone who was a fan of the original Fable.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... 360/fable2

Because I don't buy/play 99.9% of the games I post here. Its for information and feedback. How can I give a review on games I don't even play?

Yes, I do say: "this looks good, Indeed!" (and I have my TV now btw). I'm just posting to see who is buying what on the forums...and give information on upcoming titles/releases. You all should know this by now :angel9:

Also, I don't follow up with reviews on the games I do buy, unless its something special. I rather read everyone's feedback than post my own. More fun that way. I don't even like writing up reviews for the most part

As for IGN.COM, they tend to have reviews up earlier than other sites. That's why I post them more than other places. I was planning on buying Fable II in 6 months or so before IGN.COM had their review up, Neesha.

Here is Gamespot's review:

Fable II from GameSpot.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:46 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Here's your mom's review:

www.yourmomsreview.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:49 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

:spam2:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:43 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
That's the funny thing to me. You post all these "reviews" from other websites in a console sub-forum of a dying board...why? Do you not think all the nerds (get over it we are nerds) here read the exact same websites and the exact same reviews? Maybe I don't get the idea of community but all these 2 line posts about a game, 4 or 5 at a time, seem like a waste of bandwidth and time.

Sorry, I'm not trying to down on you but maybe if it can be explained to me I'll understand better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:47 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Nananea wrote:
we are nerds

I prefer the term 'Geek'.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:57 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
You post all these "reviews" from other websites in a console sub-forum of a dying board...why?

Err the board is drying? :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:45 AM 

Quote:
Why do any of you buy games?

I honestly go back and forth between my games a bit. I will go MONTHS without playing a game, come back to it and realize its potential. I don't think game rentals would really work for me, for the most part. I try and squeeze every last ounce out of my RPGs too, and I usually don't play RPGs straight through unmitigated. I'll play for a few hours, then do other things with my free time for the rest of the week.

I think for me it's about savoring the experience a bit. Digesting a good RPG in one sitting, or over several days just feels wasteful to me.

Even if I've beaten certain games, it's fun to come back to them from time to time. Every once in a while I'm just in the certain mood to break out a retro game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:02 AM 

I don't understand the hate against Evilundead either =/ I really appreciate his posts, even though I'd prefer less Wii stuff! =p Frankly, it's posts like his that make this board feel a little alive, even if it is dying slowly. And while most of us probably read the popular gaming sites, I find that occasionally I'll miss an important story or game that got buried under other headlines and Evilundead will have a post about it here.

As for Fable 2, Metacritic is showing generally favorable reviews with an average of 89. Gamespy gives it 90, Gamespot gives it 85. Hilariously, G4 TV gives it a 100 because it's not a JRPG. Without seeing any footage of the game, I'm going to guess that this means that the game: Will never show a single statistic number on your screen. Will require almost no thinking on your part other than which button to mash next. Will strongly emphasize graphics over gameplay. Will feature first-person shooter combat, to appeal to the idiot crowd, because that's way more fancy than turn-based for some reason.

But, that's just going off the G4 TV review score. I could be wrong =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:14 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I pretty much played it all day and barely got any of the main quest done. I worked on the jobs you could do and the side quests as well as racking up a hefty amount of real estate. Racking in over 3k gold for every 5 mins now! Going to wake up to a nice surprise tomorrow.

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:30 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

G4 gave it a 5 because they're using an ass-fucking-backwards 5 point scoring scale.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:07 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

So they should have given it a 1?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:50 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
i like this game but it looks like it could end up being a prettier version of what the first one would have been if it included half of the stuff they wanted to put in

combat's fun though, and even though the story will no doubt suck (defining plot twist basically predictable after 30 minutes), there's enough to do that make it worth playing

also getting money is way too easy just make a million bux by cutting some wood and then buy a house

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:32 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

They should learn how to score without a 5 point scale. There's no real difference between an 80% and 100% with them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:27 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

You guys playing the game might wanna keep an eye on this (if you didn't see it already):
Quote:
Fable II players report game breaking glitch
We've been receiving reports from several gamers -- and the Lionhead forums are positively buzzing -- about a game breaking glitch in Fable II. The glitch occurs during the quest called "Monk's Quest," in which players are tasked with speaking to the Abbot of the Temple of Light in Oakfield. Apparently, if players run into the temple, begin the conversation with the Abbot, and then leave the region before the conversation is finished, they are be unable to resume the quest, thus preventing them from completing the main story. Lionhead is currently working on the issue and advises all players to make sure to finish the conversation and cut scene before leaving the area. At the moment there is no fix for those who have already encountered the glitch.

Another glitch discovered in the game causes those who take one of their heroes into co-op with another player starting a new game. Apparently, when leaving childhood, all experience and gold will be wiped from the co-op character. Lionhead hopes to address this glitch in a title update, but advises players to only play co-op after the childhood stage has been completed.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/10/24 ... ng-glitch/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:48 AM 
Bridge Dweller

I have been listening to all the dialogue for the game, so... hope I don't encounter that. Fable 2 is fun so far. I haven't played much since I've been working on Gear sof War 2 but I am past the Child stage in Fable 2...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:43 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

There's a lot of bugs and glitches if you check out the official forums, it's sickening really. I did manage to get through the game relatively painlessly. I have a nice bug where the furniture store in Bowerstone doesn't sell furniture though. Kinda sucks when you want to dress up your house.

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:19 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

you can also kind of duplicate the wife you get from the avenge the ghost quest, you just have her follow you to a different marital home and you get married again, which is dumb because you get the renown reward but you can't get rid of the first one, so she just takes bux out of your pocket (which you can't stop) and then threatens divorce when you marry someone else

i'm probably going to sell this back tomorrow, going to try to raise a ton of bux tonight and buy the expensive houses for no real reason at all. it's like a bigger prettier version of the first one, and it's probably more fun but it's not a game that i'm inclined to hang on to and play for an extended period of time

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:30 AM 
Bridge Dweller

there is a gold cheat

you can buy a few houses, save, exit the game

go to the dashboard, change your xbox date to 20 years forward, and go back into the game

you'll get all the gold for 5 minutes x 24hrs x 365 days x 20 years. pwn

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:21 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

The funny thing about the gold cheat is that if you're like me and pwnt the shit out of Pub Games, you don't need to cheat at all.

Still haven't picked it up yet as I'm a little strapped at the moment, but when I do I've got roughly a small fortune...7 of the pub game items...5 of the website items waiting for me (including the sword, gun and a chicken costume)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:30 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

That's funny, but not funny in the "ha ha" sort of way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:15 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

plus money comes so easily that there's really not a good reason to cheat for cash... if you buy a few houses at the outset which is real easy to do and do the temple donation at the right time, there's no reason you can't have 100k when you finish the game

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:19 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Randy speaks the truth. When I started playing I picked up blacksmith to 5 stars and was able to buy property immediately before continuing with the story. Got 5 star woodcutting and bought some more, eventually purchased the inn and blacksmith in Bowerstone and kept making nice cash. In the game I finished I have over 17k per 5 mins income. Didn't do the pub game glitching or anything else cheesy. Bought the castle at the end without any problems and still have almost a million left over in cash.

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:20 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Oh and bartending is ridiculous money at 5 stars if you can keep the chain going. Great way to get you money to invest in real estate.

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:26 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Gone are the good days of 100+ hrs of might and magic fun god damnit! I've found I can only really get into a very select few games now days, I just have no desire to play anything but a few select strategy/rpg games other then MMO's (outside of NBA Live). I guess im stuck in the mind set rpg's used to be the only games with stories I enjoyed and the level of character development that makes gaming worthwhile to me....but from some of these reviews I think most games have really expanded to take bits and pieces from multiple genre's to make a great game experience.

I will never agree with the idea of a main quest being only 10 hrs long unless there is an absurd amount of more difficult content available...not just fluff but something that makes me feel like it has a meaning. Disgaea is still the perfect example of how to do a game right (for me). It just seems most games are reaching out to more casual people so when you play an rpg everything is damn near "easy" unless you skip all content so you don't out level etc. I understand catering to an easier crowd but I sure wish there were a few more hard ass games (wizardy 8 anyone? I hate the mechanic of mobs lvl'n with you but aside from that that was a fucking bitch of a game). FFXI or whatever it was actually a good design on that side of the coin because of all the chances you could go fight boss mobs etc which some were just ass beat if you tried to early. Unfortunately this all changed when you unlocked certain licences and the game became extremely easy mode. I know alot of people didn't like that battle system but they got alot of things right for me, just need to remove the licence system and replace with a more robust skill system (and honestly classes/chars that have some distinct advantages to distinguish themselves) and also redo the gambit system etc.

No fable for me.....I don't play nearly enough games to justify a Wii and PS3 let alone getting a xbox heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:45 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Yeah I went and bought the castle last night, went totally evil in the span of about 30 minutes killing everyone I could find, and decided that it's time to go back to Gamestop.

Is Fallout 3 out today?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:15 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

yes

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:56 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
2 EST on Steam.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:33 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

i don't have internet at home because at&t doesn't know how to ship things... so i'm just going to do the ol' switcheroo at gamestop tonight

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:13 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

So, this game is phenomenal. That is all.

Wait, that's not all. I need to single out the dog AI and animation. It was totally awesome and I was so compelled that I started saying 'good boy' occasionally when he helped me out, just out of reflex.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:07 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I enjoyed the game a lot but I felt like it was just way too short. I also only played through it once. :/

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile