It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:05 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:42 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Its official! :partyman: Final Fantasy XIII launch simultaneously on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in both the US/Europe. Japan might see the PS3 version before the 360 does tho. Still, Sony has lost (exclusive) one of its key titles that helped them defeat Nintendo in the past. This is a pretty hard hit for Sony to take, but its great for gamers over all.

Last edited by Evilundead Afterlife on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:01 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Any non 8/16bit Final Fantasy (except FF tactic) suck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:24 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
So outside of MGS4 the PS3 has practically nothing to make me want to buy one over the 360. MGS4 didn't even move that many consoles did it?

Wow, sucks to be Sony. =x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:26 PM 
What does this button do?

Quote:
Question: "Will FF Versus 13 be multi plat?"

Hashimoto: No.

http://kotaku.com/5025033/liveblogging- ... ce?cpage=4

So it looks like if you want the full FF13 experience you will still need a PS3 but I don't quite understand why they would do FF13 and not FF Versus 13.

Edit- While this news is big I think Star Ocean being exclusive is almost just as big of news. Last Remnants looks like it could be nice too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:41 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Finlainea wrote:
Any non 8/16bit Final Fantasy (except FF tactic) suck.

Not true at all. FF7 is one of the greatest selling video game titles of all-time. Obviously millions of gamers disagree with you there. There's no doubt, that subjectively speaking, FF7 revolutionized RPGs as we knew them at the time.

FF7 is still one of the greatest games ever.

In re: FFXIII and Xbox 360, I'll still get it for my PS3 unless something comes out that shows the 360 version is clearly superior.

Guess it's time to finish FFXII. I was having good momentum in that game but stopped playing when school got really busy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:54 PM 

I wouldn't rush. They stated in the press conference that they will not make a Japanese 360 version and will only start the US/Europe version after the Japanese version is complete. Hurray for more delays on a game announced two years ago.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:56 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

It being an exclusive title in Japan no surprise because the Xbox 360 sells like crap there. No matter what, Sony has lost an exclusive game in the US and Europe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:24 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
12 was pretty good and 9 wasn't horrible

this would have been awesome news like four years ago but square has really fallen off the table in terms of relevance and quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:25 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

FF wouldn't so much be the big news anyway, it's the othe 3 square titles that are exclusive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:26 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

and 7 is one of the most overrated games of all time. its influence in the popularity of rpgs or on the shift in heavily narrative games in the us can't be denied, but good lord that thing was a snore to get through

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:15 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I was bored as fuck in 25-30 hours in VIII, I dumped 80+ hours into FFVII, never really got very bored with it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:16 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Stop debating about Final Fantasy. It's tired. No one is right. It's called a mother fucking opinion. SHUT UP!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:46 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

no im right

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:42 PM 

Final Fantasy has strayed so far away from being good I could care less personally but, it's the whole idea that PS3 is losing thier grip that is hurting them.

Unless Sony has some blockbuster announcement they might as well push Blu-Ray and hurry and get something better out. The PS3 boat has sailed in the the 3rd place dock.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:20 PM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

PS3 is going to the dump

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:59 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
ff13petition, is that you?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:24 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

EQ1: Kailtor(trex)
WoW: Kaltina - Alleria
fagmaster

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:38 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I've got someone who wants to buy my PS3 for 400$ w/ RB. Original 60 Gig unit. Is that a good price? I figured it's about ok.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:06 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
They really need to add more titles for PS3 more family oriented ones. except guitar hero i hate that game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:07 PM 

LittleBigPlanet is for you then!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:57 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Quote:
I've got someone who wants to buy my PS3 for 400$ w/ RB. Original 60 Gig unit. Is that a good price? I figured it's about ok.

You know what it is worth as much as any of us do. I think you're being a little silly, personally.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:03 PM 
Bridge Dweller

How so?

The original launch units are fairly sought after because of the backwards compatibility and the flash card slots... Rock Band on it's own is 179.99$... so I mean am I supposed to consider selling 600$ of console (currently 400 for a mildly-comparable PS3) for less than 400$?

I know what I paid is not what I should consider selling it on, but I think 200$ for a launch PS3 and 50$ or something for Rock Band with all the peripherals is fucking insane. I thought 300$ for the console and 100$ for Rock Band was a fair price.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:11 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I just think you're being over-dramatic about the whole thing. Why would you sell it and tell us about it? It's still about the best Blu-ray player on the market. I am sure one day a game will come out for it that you'll want to play again. Do you need $400? I could understand if you were selling it because you needed money, but you seem to be doing it to prove some sort of ePoint, which I doubt any of us care about. You think it's a good price, so sell it at that price. If Givin posts and says "no, man, you should sell it for $450!" are you suddenly going to change your price? It's a used PS3 with a used Rock Band game. It doesn't take a genius or all of us putting our heads together to come up with a reasonable price.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:22 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I'm not selling it in a knee-jerk reaction to the E3 showings. That'd be retarded. However, I am preparing to move my family and prepare for my first semester in law school, so... I am trying to cut corners where I can to help the transition. 400$ in my pocket versus a console I never play and games I never play sitting around and gathering dust is a good idea right now for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:36 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Quote:
In re: FFXIII and Xbox 360, I'll still get it for my PS3 unless something comes out that shows the 360 version is clearly superior.

This was Monday. Today, you are selling the thing. You must really need that $400.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:42 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Square's stock jumped up 5% on the news of XIII for 360.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:45 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Neesha the Necro wrote:
Quote:

This was Monday. Today, you are selling the thing. You must really need that $400.

Bad enough to cut off text messaging, cancel unlimited blackberry internet, cancel AoC, WoW, and Sirius, not to mention lowering my digital cable and lower my internet speed tier.

I've been making the transition this entire summer, and hearing that FFXIII (the main reason I bought a PS3) was no longer exclusive, was more incentive to cut off stuff I don't really need.

PS: I sold my treadmill I bought for 700$ for 300. There's stuff I'd never sell like my musical instruments, stuff my family uses (Wii, 360), etc, but I'm trimming the excess right now, because although I have a great job now, when I start law school -- I won't. That's a big transition. I am getting loans but cutting out the BS will help lower my otherwise "extra" spending.

In regards to that quote, I admit I felt that way in giving me a reason to own a PS3. Which I don't really have right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:30 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

You can get more than 400, that's for sure. Yes it's used, but it's the launch unit. That alone is worth more than 400 considering the current 40GB in stores is not backward compatible and sell 399,99$ new.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:50 PM 

He knows that, what Neesha posted was spot on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:30 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168827

Bottom of the page. Ready for a FF7 remake? Or another FF7 movie? Or a FF7 sequel/prequel/during-quel? Image

Also, this forum has horrible emoticons, so I'm bringing my own that I stole from a popular site. On the internet.

ImageImageImage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:56 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I could shit in a Gamestop sack and hand it to someone with a Rock Band box, and they'd never know the difference.

Which is pretty much what every employee of Gamestop, Best Buy and every other retail chain did on PS3 launch night.

This would make a good web comic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:25 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Kailtor wrote:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168827

Bottom of the page. Ready for a FF7 remake? Or another FF7 movie? Or a FF7 sequel/prequel/during-quel? Image

Also, this forum has horrible emoticons, so I'm bringing my own that I stole from a popular site. On the internet.

ImageImageImage

We have about 300 emoticons Kailtor. God!

Back on topic, I wish they would release a Final Fantasy movie series to explain all the more recent games together. I loved Advent Childern and The Spirit Within graphics were fantastic!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:32 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

CakvalaSC wrote:
We have about 300 emoticons Kailtor. God!

Back on topic, I wish they would release a Final Fantasy movie series to explain all the more recent games together. I loved Advent Childern and The Spirit Within graphics were fantastic!
Every single one of them sucks balls!

Also too bad the Spirits Within got about 20 total viewers. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:13 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
Edit- While this news is big I think Star Ocean being exclusive is almost just as big of news. Last Remnants looks like it could be nice too.

I'm pretty excited about Star Ocean as well, I didn't realize it was exclusive.

With regard to the FF debate... well, I'd thoroughly say FF2(U.S. version) is by far the greatest FF, especially the storyline. FF3 is a close second for me.

I used to be the guy who bashed the FF7 lovers, honestly... and frankly, a lot of them probably deserve the bashing over FF7 - most of them were probably in their tweens when it came out, and got all giddy about seeing "OMG 3D MODELZ DOOOOOD" and finally developed a love for RPGs from there. It's an unfortunate way to get hooked on RPGs, mostly because those same people seem to miss the bread and butter of more traditional RPGs.

But I've sort of moved on from that. I look at all the RPGs and FF7 still really stood out. The materia system was, in my mind excellent - though still short of FF3's Ether system IMHO. The storyline wasn't too bad, the basic components of good turn-based RPGs were all accounted for. The gameplay was just enjoyable overall IMO.

I think most of us agree FF8 blew, for the most part. FF9 was a return to cool in terms of gameplay, even if the story was a bit childish at times. FF10 was also pretty great in my mind, aside from the goofy storyline, silly character development, and voice acting(ugh).

Was there honestly something wrong with FF10 and FF9(besides the obvious story issues) that some of you guys didn't like? I hear people say the days of glory for FF are gone and have been gone for some time, but both of those were excellent RPGs especially in terms of gameplay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:25 AM 

Btw Skycrasher, I'd sell off the PS2 and keep the PS3 personally - but if you don't have a PS2 which I assume you don't from the sound of it - for the love of god keep your PS3. There is no better source for a hugeass library of old school RPG goodness than from PSX and PS2. I've got my PS3 hard drive loaded with saved games from those titles. Nostalgic gaming is still fun, I tell ya, and arguably the gameplay from some of those titles was better anyway.

I say this as someone who has an XB360 as well(and is currently addicted to Eternal Sonata and Mass Effect, didn't get a chance to play them before) - That's one thing the XB360 won't ever have - the largest old school library of some of the greatest RPGs in existence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:27 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Already sold the PS3. Should I want one in the future I'll pick another one up.

Offline Profile