It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:56 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:23 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
July 14, 2008 - Players wondering if we'd ever see a true 1:1 experience on Wii need to wonder no more, as Nintendo announced today a new plug-in peripheral for the Wii remote, currently called Wii MotionPlus. Details are sparse so far, but Nintendo revealed the first snippets of information in a press release this morning. The following statement is -- in its entirety -- Nintendo's announcement of MotionPlus for Wii:

"Nintendo's upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player's arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo's commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing."

What we don't know, however, is how exactly MotionPlus will work with nunchuk controls, as the peripheral would need some sort of pass-through in order to give 1:1 motion to titles requiring analog control. The first shot above shows a small plug in the bottom of the attachment, which looks to be covering just such port, but we'll wait on Nintendo to give the final confirmation. Will we see first-person shooters that can make use of this technology? Will LucasArts find a way to adapt the upcoming Clone Wars game to include true 1:1 lightsaber technology, or could Nintendo beat them to it with a pack-in Link's Sword Fighting game (or news of a new Zelda Wii) to showcase MotionPlus? Will some sort of future "Wii-mote 2.0" automatically include MotionPlus, removing the need for an additional add-on peripheral? We'll have to wait and see how exactly the new technology works, and all signs point to Nintendo's keynote just 24 hours from now.

Punch-Out Wii will use both the Wii Fit Board and the new MotionPlus it seems. The game might be a lot of fun and a work out as well :P

1:1 Motion ftw

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:36 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I think it's safe to say the novelty has worn off. I can't wait for the Wii-cycle to come out. Wii de France (Tour de Wii?) should be a fun game!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:13 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

A good game is a good game. Have you tried Boom Blox, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, Mario Kart Wii to name a few, Neesha? These are not "novelty" games :D

If people don't like the motion wheel controls for Mario Kart lets say, then just use a classic or GameCube controller and stuff. Same goes for SSBB as well and other Wii games. And, numbers don't lie, the Nintendo Wii is destorying the Xbox 360 and PS3 in sales every month for almost two years (since launch). They are the king in next gen market shares. So they are doing something right, Neesha.

Hardcore gamers need to keep to their M$ and PS3 systems tho. I never understood why any core gamer would pick up a Nintendo Wii. Its not going to appeal to them for the most part. Thinking of, it looks like Microsoft is making a new motion based games and controller for their system! WILL you give it a try, or write it off like the Nintendo Wii?!?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:06 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Woohoo, final fantasy 13! On the xbox

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:24 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
No way? Sony lost the exclusive of a FF game? :O

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:39 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Yes.

Also a new 360 Star Ocean game, 2 more japanese RPGs were announced.

And Netflix intergration.

And it's more like "Hey guys, we figured out to make it work like it should have been when we first launched, now just buy it and it'll get better!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:48 PM 
What does this button do?

I got that whole,"That's how it should've been from launch" feeling too but oh well what are you going to do? While the Wii is the cheapest console on the market its accessories are expensive. 60bucks for a Wiimote and Nunchuck and now this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:25 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
I got that whole,"That's how it should've been from launch" feeling

Yep, I agree, but the item will be shipping for the games much like Mario Kart Wii at no extra cost. If you have 4 controllers tho, you will need to buy three of them and stuff. Still, it should had been at launch like you said, Medijin

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:55 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Shame on them for not having the technology perfect out of box.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:56 PM 

What if I already bought Mario Kart? Nintendo is sometimes generous, wonder if they will give me one for free.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:57 PM 

Argrax wrote:
Shame on them for not having the technology perfect out of box.

Some of it is really bad, ever try to do a sword slice on Zack and Wiki? Other times it's just fine IE the rest of the entire Zack and Wiki game. (Man that game owned face 10/10 easy!)

Oh I guess another time it did a really poor job is when doing the Boxing Rhythm game in Wii Fit and you are asked to dodge left or right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:00 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Zack and Wiki game is a great game indeed :) Good to see some folks have played it, because it did not sell well

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:42 PM 
Bridge Dweller

MedijinKazama wrote:
I got that whole,"That's how it should've been from launch" feeling too but oh well what are you going to do? While the Wii is the cheapest console on the market its accessories are expensive. 60bucks for a Wiimote and Nunchuck and now this?

Too true. The motion is very "in the ballpark" and very generic. Apart from pointing, the Wii-mote isn't really all that intuitive. It'll be nice to see true 1:1 motion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:43 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

64 RAM expansion pack, part 2.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:26 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

That's great... In the end you end up buying more hardware and gizmos than games for that system.

Let's see:
-4 nunchucks (in cases each of the 4 players need one, most people will have at least 2 anyway and none come with the system if i'm right?)
-3 Wiimotes
-2 Game pads
-1 WiiZapper
-A Charge station with 4 battery pack (you don't want to change batteries all the time right)
-4 Wiimote sleeves
I am not counting the accessories that come with games like the Mario Kart wheel either.

And most of the time in the house I go to they have all of those and like 6 games and most of the time the kids are playing tenis or pool. The wii is such a great system because it sell so well! Now you have more hardware to buy, true 1:1 motion, the good news is the only game you'll probably use this on will most likely be bundled with the device anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:48 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Yeah, this shit isn't even fun to get drunk and play with anymore. And i'll be damn if I spend another 60 bucks to play the same games I did on my Super Nintendo a decade or so ago.

LAN TF2 is much better. Or poker. Or Risk. Or Axis and Allies.

Or yeah. Pretty much anything is better than Nintendo right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:03 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

TF2 is great when you are in the winning team, when I lose I get angry.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:03 PM 

When is the Wii Strap-On coming out?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:02 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

http://gizmodo.com/5023612/his-and-hers ... -you-ready

Not a strop on but.... step on the right direction? :X

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:19 AM 

The demo they just showed at E3 was pretty cool with the Wii Motion Plus. I will be preordering Wii Sports Resort, the sword fighting looks nice and could potentially be better then the Star Wars Clone Wars light saber dueling game because that game won't be using the Wii Motion Plus. (Wii Sports Resort will include a single Wii Motion Plus and a new silicon cover for it, they mentioned that you can buy more Wii Motion Plus' and skins later, guess they are done giving away the WiiMote stuff)

Animal Crossing City Folk looked fun too my gf said she would be buying it but what was most interesting was the community speaker that it comes with. I hope they go back and let you use that mic/speaker for Brawl and Mario Kart. (It's called Wii Speak looks like it will be included with Animal Crossing City Folk)

Everything looked so-so fairly boring presser but then again I thought the Microsoft was lame too and it would have been worse without the annoucement of FF13. Wii Music looked really lame and they admitted it doesn't take skill just start swinging it anyway you want and you will play some horrid sounds that could possibly sound like the Mario theme. (You can play cowbell in Wii Music if that makes anyone happy)

Last edited by MedijinKazama on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:29 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:26 AM 

I also didn't see the hardcore gamer announcement but right now Reggie is claiming that Animal Crossing was the hardcore game announcement. He also is saying that the hardcore should be happy with the new GTA Chinatown on DS. I really never thought of Animal Crossing as hardcore or a portable GTA as hardcore but oh well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:36 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

The MotionPlus will not work with Clone Wars or Force Unleashed(assuming it's out before spring, but the demos I've seen of it, it wasn't there).

Fairly disappointing.

It seems utterly typical though, release true motion tech and neither of the 2 light saber games will have it. "We don't know why we have issues with 3rd party developers!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:42 AM 

Well Wii Sports Resort will have sword fighting but it wont be nearly as stylish. The demo they showed of it has two people on an island basically just swinging as fast as they can at each other but it looks fairly precise and not annoying like the Zack and Wiki sword fight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:50 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

They've got 2 light saber games coming out and neither one of them will be using it, the Resort sword fighting is entirely predictable as far as I'm concerned. Just more of the same, I used to try and defend Nintendo from the kiddie label, I dunno if that's possible anymore.

And yes, I watched the press conference, so I saw it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:04 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
I used to try and defend Nintendo from the kiddie label, I dunno if that's possible anymore.

You mean their new "casual" label (kiddie was soo 90's!). They have left the core gamer behind, and focusing on their new market. Its going to make them billions, but hardcore gamers should just go sell their Nintendo Wii's now, and move on. Nothing left for them under the Nintendo brand of products.

Kinda of sad really, but numbers>all for companies. They only care about the highest returns for their investments.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:24 PM 
Bridge Dweller

That truly is the harsh reality. So sad. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:26 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Harsh reality, but not exactly new news. Glorified Gamecube FTLOL.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:59 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Gears 2 makes my balls rumble. Wow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:43 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

That was the lamest video game presentation, outside of Animal Crossing they showed no games. On top of that Miyamoto and his friends looked retarded pretending the remote was a flute.

After MS's presentation yesterday this was a huge downer. =\

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:46 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

The truly retarded part is they weren't even playing, they just pushed a couple buttons and moved it around and it played a preset song.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:50 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Out of everything I have seen so far, if I had to pick what I was most excited about, Gears 2 would be at the top of the list. I was really looking forward to Fallout 3 but after seeing the playable demo, it doesn't seem as appealing to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:50 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I'm so fucking tired of these bullshit games Nintendo keeps putting out... god. Work on a new Zelda or sidescroller a la Megaman or Castlevania or Metroid. Seeing that stupid fucking band play with the Wiimotes infuriated me. Who the fuck do they think I am? Lol

Sigh. Fuck Nintendo. :(

I agree with Gears 2. Going to be totally awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:33 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

This sums it up pretty well:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:16 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Haha, that is a pretty good summation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:27 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Go Pro or go home.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:38 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
That Gif animation was fantastic. lol!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:58 AM 

Animal Crossing, Nintendo's hardcore game of the year, will NOT come with Wiispeak you will have to buy it separately. I guess this shouldn't be a suprise from a company that sells more peripherals then games.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36819.html

If you want to sell a console with no gas left in the tank Skycrasher pick the Wii.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:58 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Ah, the joy of putting people who know nothing about gaming in high power positions in game companies. Great decisions they help make! I'm so glad she has such a firm grasp.

lol... GTA DS. I laugh everytime I hear that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:49 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Coming soon: Katamari Wii featuring the Wireless Katamari!

Roll the Katamari around your house, collecting invisible items while you bask in the interactiveness of the Wii's immersive control system! No other system can bring you the TRUE Katamari experience of rolling around a ball doing absolutely nothing! The Wireless Katamari also features a pedometer, sending your actual footsteps to your Wii console for real-time statistics of how much time and calories you've wasted!

Katamari Wii! It's Japanese! Sugoi!

Wireless Katamari sold separately. Good luck finding it in stores!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:37 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

You know, that'd actually be cool. :(

It'd be cool if they built a special arcade Katamari machine where you actually push a huge stationary ball. And somehow the more shit got stuck to your virtual ball the physical ball would become harder to push or something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:42 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
I could be the next DDR! Except instead of nerds getting less fat, it would make them STRONG!

If the ball stops moving for 5s because you can't push it, you lose and have to throw more quarters. Muahahaha

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:23 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
That whole press conference was full of fail, sadly the only remotely interesting thing was the snowboarding game with Carrot Top's little brother.

Why even put out a star wars game until the motion thing is available, I don't get that...

Plus if they have the tech, why not put it out now?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:24 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Because no one is allowed to use the new shit until Nintendo is ready to use the new shit. But they still don't understand why they have horrible 3rd party support.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:04 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Yeah, this shit isn't even fun to get drunk and play with anymore. And i'll be damn if I spend another 60 bucks to play the same games I did on my Super Nintendo a decade or so ago.

http://www.wii-modchips.com/

Indeed! I modded mine just to be able to fucking play half the games w/o waiting in god damned line, hitting up craigslist or "pre-ordering" just so the dickhole Gamestop fuckers can just get it for their friends (read: craigslist) anyway and leave the pre-orders in the cold. I'll just go ahead and pay for the games I felt like deserved it, same I way I do the PC and DS, once they've been released for awhile.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:28 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

EQ1: Kailtor(trex)
WoW: Kaltina - Alleria
You know you don't even need to use a modchip, right? There are software hacks to get all sorts of programs running including a program for region unlocking~

Quote:
So how do I load my imports now?
A new application called Gecko Region Free (GeckoOS) was released, and it can be loaded right from the SD card via Homebrew Channel and it will load any retail Wii game from any region. (It does not support burned copies [yet?] of Wii games)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=2889797

Here's a good post on it, hopefully you can read it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:29 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Who cares about homebrew?? All I want is to play games I download and burn...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:09 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

EQ1: Kailtor(trex)
WoW: Kaltina - Alleria
Hmm for some reason I thought you were talking about playing imports, not burned copies. Nevermind! Although, that'll probably come along eventually. Either that, or running an iso directly from your memory card.

Offline Profile