It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:43 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:57 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Anyone pick this up?

So far so good. Amazing graphics and I love the soundtrack, pretty much a clone of FFVII. The main character Zack is a bit cheesy at times but hey... whatever.

The new combat system is pretty cool too. It's not menu based, but trigger based. Meaning you scroll through options with the right/left triggers, and execute it with X. You have your materia spells, item menu (only menu I think) and attack menu, and your AP power all on one little bar in the lower right have corner. It's very action based -- turnstyle has gone out the window.

Anyhow, I'm not very far into it at all, but what I've seen so far has been engaging and a joy to play.

Last edited by xskycrasherx on Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:03 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
System? PS3?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:12 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Larreth wrote:
System? PS3?

PSP, doh!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:36 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
I'm waiting until some solid "Non-FFVII Fanboi" reviews come out for it before checking it out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:47 PM 
Bridge Dweller

It'll be hard to find that, pretty much all gamers universally agree that FFVII was one of the greatest games ever created.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:39 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Well, I'm talking about reviews written by guys like this...

Although I do make fun of cosplay quite a bit, even I'll admit this guy looks cool

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:40 PM 
Spider Slayer

My personal fav cosplayer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:40 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Not that it matters but FFVII was the what ruined the RPG genre for me and other then a few gems out their I have not enjoyed a new gen RPG for many many years. Now I rely on more of the NIS type games.

So their are a few of us who thought FFVII was a major let down. Actually until the last FF game I had'nt played one that I enjoyed truly since prior to FFVII.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:43 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

xskycrasherx wrote:
It'll be hard to find that, pretty much all gamers universally agree that FFVII was one of the greatest games ever created.

That make me sad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:50 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Turbo wrote:
Not that it matters but FFVII was the what ruined the RPG genre for me and other then a few gems out their I have not enjoyed a new gen RPG for many many years. Now I rely on more of the NIS type games.

So their are a few of us who thought FFVII was a major let down. Actually until the last FF game I had'nt played one that I enjoyed truly since prior to FFVII.

I actually hate the prior FF english games, I don't like the Mage system. I prefer FF6+ by far. However, unfortunately for you though, you truly are in the minority as has been evidenced by the overwhelming critical acclaim that game received (and still receives)

It's kind of lame too how you lump your dislike of RPG games on one single title. How about a string of shitty titles instead of placing the blame solely on one? That's like me saying I hate every single RTS since I hated Starcraft.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:03 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Turbo wrote:
Actually until the last FF game I had'nt played one that I enjoyed truly since prior to FFVII.

Are you talking about FFXII? Because that game was god awful, my characters beat the last guy with me only touching the controller to throw the occasional oh shit heal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:28 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Finlainea wrote:
xskycrasherx wrote:

That make me sad.

oh come on everyone loves characters whose sole personality trait is swearing

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:19 AM 
Bridge Dweller

I found FFXII to be challenging. Guess I suck at videos. Good news is, the 4 other people I know IRL had a tough time at parts too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:54 PM 
Spider Slayer

X-play gave it 2/5 :o Apparently the dialogue is boring/bad, and the combat system is one-button pressing hack n' slash. It even auto-locks on and runs toward out of range enemies on it's own.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:00 AM 
What does this button do?

X-Play is almost always anti - Japanese. I wouldn't use a X-Play review as something to go on considering the hosts that "review" the games don't even play them, the hosts just read a sheet of paper given to them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:14 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Yea X-play seems pretty stupid with it's reviews. Here are the "cons" for Lost Odyssey:

"Long and frequent load times
Too much reliance on non-interactive portions
Overly melodramatic story
Unlikable main character
Annoying random battles "

The first two I can agree with. Overly melodramatic? What? Every fucking mainstream RPG these days has some sort of lameass whimsical cartoon storyline made for 12-year-olds. Unlikable main character? He's a little too emo, sure, but hardly unlikable.

Annoying random battles - I'm sorry if you think that "dynamic" MMORPG-style battles are the thing of the future just because someone told you they were realistic, but more realism and more dynamic does not = better gameplay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:20 AM 

its*

Also, I don't understand how FF7 ruined it for you Turbo =p I've been playing right up since the release of FF1 and I still found it a welcome addition. The U.S. versions FF 1-3 had better storylines to an extent(with a possible exception of FF1, /cough)... but FF7 was still a solid game. It wasn't a simple "all graphics-no gameplay" transition to 3D, it actually had some depth to it. I personally loved the Materia system.

Now FF12... THAT is a piece of dogshit. The storyline is good, the gameplay absolutely blows. They finally caved in to the crowd which doesn't have the attention span of a gnat and got rid of random battles. Don't get me started on the License board, please.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:26 AM 

IGN gave it a 8.5 rating
http://psp.ign.com/articles/860/860615p1.html

I have to admit though, the combat system looks like a watered down version of Kingdom Hearts which is what is stopping me from buying it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:06 AM 
Spider Slayer

It's not just X-Play that's anti-Japanese, if you go to most forums you'd probably be called a "weeaboo" or "Japanophile" for even liking FF games, with their commonly themed "bishounen" boys. Anywho, someone asked for a non-fanboi review, X-Play definitely aren't Square Enix fanbois, and to their credit, when they first reviewed FFXI they liked it, and mostly everyone here knows how masochistic that game is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:14 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

One of my Resto-Shaman in guild is playing it and is going to give me the 411 on it once he's about halfway through. I read the X-Play, Gamespot, Metacritic, and IGN Reviews along with some User Reviews from misc forums. The major gaming sites seem to share a rough average score of 8.5/10 while the User Reviews are all over the place.

Honestly, I'm thinking of waiting until the price drops to pick this one up. I'm a huge fan of the FF Series and this would make a nice addition to my collection, but I don't think this particular entry is anything I can't live without for the time being.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:00 AM 

My only thoughts from watching some of the gameplay bits are:

You spilled some of your Dynasty Warriors on my Final Fantasy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:25 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Well venen, honestly for me it was what introduced the modern day crap into my old school rpg's! (no edgar using a drill is not an example of this!). I hated that basically all the chars felt the same, that one had a fucking GUN on his hand etc. I haven't played it since the first few months it ever came out so I am sure I would better appreciate it but at the time it was one of the worst changes to how I like to see RPG's but alas I guess they need to evolve at some point and time.....can only have a boy wake up on a beach and save the world so many times....

FFXII or whatever....I actually liked it, the L.board would have been GREAT IF each of the characters already had some areas of expertise or something to make you buy into them. (one having any extra 5 str at the end of the game doesn't make him a special tank sorry...). Also they should not have put weapons/armor on it.....a game should NEVER limit you from using the fucking gear you obtain period. Gameplay was annoying at times and fun at others. The best part was trying to beat bad ass fucking mobs and bosses but towards the half way point there was some game mechanics that made most of them extremely trival.

sorry off topic....I just bought disgaea for PSP for when I travel for work so I won't be touching another psp game for 3-4 months.

Offline Profile