It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:22 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mass Effect?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:10 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Anyone get this? The reviews and reports of bugs are holding me back from buying it. How does it stack up to the KOTR games?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mass Effect?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:39 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
This is one title that slipped under the radar for the better part of the last few years. I only recently began to read up on it, and recent reports say it is pretty bug ridden, and the load times are horrible.

Going to pass and wait till it's a Greatest Hit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:43 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
eh, blame microsoft more than anything, with their decree that an xbox 360 without a hard drive is a viable market product.

the long load times are a result of not caching to the hard drive, even if one is present. that's about the only big flaw I can find in it so far (other than hacking/decryption is a bit... well, nazi like in it's expectation of perfection)

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:22 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
i'll only buy it if the gameplay is nothing at all like kotor's. for my dollar, the last game bioware made that i'd want to play was baldur's gate 2 and even that got to be kind of a chore

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:17 PM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

As far as load times I never noticed anything excessive, most "loading" screens were only up for 5-10 seconds at most, the slowest things in the game are the elevators - and I can deal with the elevators in the cities, they go up/down a long way at a reasonable speed plus you'll hear announcements while on the elevator that sometimes trigger missions, it's the ship elevator that goes up/down 1 floor and takes almost 30 seconds that's retarded, especially when you want to go down there alot for your in-ship store.

There's a few bugs in the game but mostly just graphical glitches- I saw one guy half in the floor, your guy doesn't always put his weapon away on an elevator, lighting effects showing up where they shouldn't, etc... The biggest bugs I ran into were once my squad stopped following me and I had to order them around manually, a save and reload fixed that, and when fighting one boss that throws you around, if i was zoomed in with my sniper rifle when she threw me it would get my character stuck and I had to reload the last save.

Overall playing it over thanksgiving weekend I really liked it, the storyline is really detailed and presented well with lots of history and side information you can delve into if you want. Combat plays out better than I thought it would from seeing the videos on it, has a real gears of war feel to it. And playing through again as a vanguard on hardcore mode makes you play alot smarter and tactical too.

The first time through I had a little over 30 hours played but I tried to find most stuff in the game too. It plays out with just a handfull of primary missions, but each primary mission can take 2-4 hours itself. Other than that there's about 30+ different galaxies you can visit for side missions or just to explore, each galaxy has something you can land on and most of the other planets you can survey for xp/money. Once you get on the planet you can drive around freely in your Mako and hit up stuff laying around the planet and your objective there. Some of the side missions have decent involvement in them, but unfortunately there's only a few layouts for buildings / ships / caves they use and too many of them are simple go in, kill guys in the big room, then go to side room and collect reward.

Offline Profile