It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:39 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:37 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
The music ranges from great to amazing, without a false note to be heard. The orchestrated themes are as vast and majestic as befits a game that spans the universe, and the sly interweaving of dynamic sound and classic motifs creates a soundscape that is quintessentially Mario yet uncharacteristically sophisticated.

Galaxy demonstrates the difference between a good game and a great game: attention to detail and reliable, consistent game rules. The worlds you'll visit in the course of collecting the game's 120 Stars frequently challenge the assumptions you take for granted when you play a platformer, but the new rules that come into play always operate consistently within their context. There are no "gotcha" moments, no cheap sections of memorization, even in the most challenging special stages. Intuition, logic, and reactions will win the day. Excellent reactions, mind you -- Galaxy is unforgiving at times, like the best classic Mario games. Anyone can beat Galaxy with enough persistence, but complete mastery of the game demands genuine skill.

And those who like to "break" games or perfect speed runs will find much to love in Mario's huge repertoire of skills, power-ups, and tantalizing, just-out-of-reach platforms -- which simply beg for mastery and exploitation. Galaxy channels the spirit of Super Mario Bros. 3 in many ways -- the bite-sized stages, the vast array of specialized power-ups, the airships -- but none are as remarkable as its exhilarating sense of freedom.

Quote:
In short, Galaxy is one of the most impressive, engrossing games in recent memory -- and quite the contrast to the rest of this year's triple-A gaming crop, which tends toward the dark, the M-rated, and the first-person perspective. Gaming may be growing up (per se), but gamers will always appreciate beautifully polished gameplay and inventive design...even if it's sugarcoated with squeaky baby stars and a goofy cartoon of a hero. Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.

9.5/10 and the game looks like it will be a blast. :)

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164124

Last edited by Evilundead Afterlife on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:34 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:59 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Can't friggin' wait for this!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:14 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
I tried to torrent this, but it's so effing slow that it won't even be done until Nov 14th so whatever!

I'll drop the $50 regardless on this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:22 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

That 1up review makes the game sound awesome, heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:17 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

If that kind of review gets a 9.5 wtf do they call a 10?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:46 PM 
I am a Spaceman

A 10 is the same as what they said but with tits and excessive violence. Video Gamers love objectifying women and committing heinous violent acts, its just the way they are. Maybe one day it will change, who knows?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:31 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Seriously, if I could jerk off to Mario THEN that's a 10!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:32 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

Toys "R" Us Offers $25 Gift Card With Super Mario Galaxy Purchase! copy and pasted from Kotaku.com
http://kotaku.com/gaming/deal/toys-r-us-offers-25-gift-card-with-super-mario-galaxy-purchase-318566.php
Quote:
It looks like the Super Mario Galaxy deals just keep on coming. First GameStop offers free two day shipping and now Toy "R" Us is getting in on the action too. Purchase your copy of the game that will make you dust off your Wii (in-store) from Toys "R" Us and you'll be rewarded with a $25 dollar gift card. Pretty sweet deal right there seeing as it's about half off of another new game (depending on the game). That's almost enough to make me want to get in the car, drive the ten miles to the nearest TRU and fight the hordes of screaming children to get it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:39 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

IGN.COM's review is up. They give the game a 9.7 and here are some highlights. The game will be out on the 12th! Less than one week for this gem to be released!

Quote:
The greatest Nintendo platformer ever made?

Closing Comments
Super Mario Galaxy is one of the greatest platformers I have ever played, Wii's best game, and an absolute must-own experience. And to me, this odd trek through space really does feel like the true sequel to Mario 64. It harkens back to the N64 classic with nostalgic faces and places from the Mushroom Kingdom, but it also re-invents the franchise with new space-themed mechanics and fresh Wii-enhanced controls. It is, as I have said since I first played it, a near-perfect combination of old platforming values and new design.

Except to be blown away by the fantastic level challenges and galactic variety. Expect to be blown away by the addictive gravity effects -- you will jump off ledges just to see if you can rotate all the way around a structure. And expect to be blown away by the tight controls and beautiful graphics.

Galaxy isn't quite perfect. There are some minor issues -- tiny blemishes, if you will, hiding on the backside of a supermodel. There's the auto-camera, which works exceptionally well most of the time, but every so often stumbles. And there's the overall difficulty -- a little too easy to 60 stars and to defeat bosses for my tastes. But even with these potential drawbacks, Nintendo's Tokyo studio has created a platformer that deserves its place among the very best and will surely be remembered in another decade as a classic.

Lasting Appeal
40-plus galaxies -- all vastly different and filled with unique challenges. 120 stars t collect. Plus, a two-player semi-coop mode. Send your accomplishments to friends over WiiConnect24.

IGN.COM's Review

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:48 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

GameSpot's review is up as well. A 9.5 and some highlights.

The stellar presentation and fantastic level designs combine to make Super Mario Galaxy the Wii's game to beat and one of Mario's greatest adventures yet.

The Good:

Some of the best level designs of any 3D platformer. Beautiful, colorful graphics. Controls work just about flawlessly in nearly every situation. Soundtrack is a delight. Lots of stages and tons of stars to find and collect.

The Bad:

A couple of Mario's special suits can be frustrating to use. Minimal amount of story doesn't tie everything together especially well.

GameSpot's Review

Offline Profile