It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:29 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bioshock on the 360
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:08 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

Anyone who has an XBox 360 needs to go download the demo for Bioshock right now, not later, now. It's amazingly good. It's an FPS but so much more than any other FPS I've ever played. After you beat the demo there's a video that shows some of the crazier shit you can do in the game that's not available in the demo. I can't wait for this game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Bioshock on the 360
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:59 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I haven't played any other 360 games since Guitar Hero II came out for that platform, but there's a lot of good ones like this on the horizon. Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, the other new japanese-style RPGs Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey. Also Fallout 3 on the far end of the radar too.

For a system that hasn't made much noise since the Wii and PS3 came out, it's going to get a nice boost from these games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:15 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

about an hour after posting this I went to my local toys r us and they had bioshock on the shelves, it doesn't actually come out until next week but i'm going to be enjoying it much sooner... already almost done with the portion they let you play in the demo... damn i love this game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:45 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

And now my 360 just fucking died... wow. I hate life. You win oh cruel hand of fate. Couldn't let me play my Bioshock a week early in peace could you? Fuckity fuck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:17 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
A truly amazing system indeed.

Hope you registered it and sent in warranty stuff. I don't think the extended warranty for 3 rings of death works without it.

"The radar sir. It appears to be.............JAMMED."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:20 PM 
Bridge Dweller

The gods jest.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:25 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Damn hehe...I'm constantly hearing about those 360s breaking...yet I know folks with PS1s,2's...hell super nintendos that are still running.

What gives? Heat issues?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:46 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Microsoft admitted they f'd up with heatsinks in some 360's, hence why they extended the warranty to 3 years.

I've had 2 360 break on me, but my 3rd has ran quieter, and better than those previous ones.

MS is a good company. They did the right thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:01 AM 
What does this button do?

Rift: Bigteeth
Eve Online Handle: Bigteeth
I hope my 360 doesn't die while I play mass effect or halo 3.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:22 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
This is why I own a PS3.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:19 AM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

Rokhan wrote:
This is why I own a PS3.

Because you like having two (if that) games that are worth playing and none that warrant a $600 purchase? Awesome, good for you. Out of the people I know who have 360s mine is the first that's broken. The only reason I'm upset about it is because I JUST got Madden and Bioshock. Had it happened one day earlier I would have been like "oh well" but after playing Bioshock for hours I'm dying to get back into Rapture and tear up some fucking splicers. Oh well, I'll have to play at a friend's house until I get mine back.

Skycrasher, how long did it take to get the system back? If I don't get it back by Halo 3 I'm going to Washington and shitting on Microsoft's doorstep.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:38 AM 
Bridge Dweller

It took me 5 weeks from the time I called them to the day it was delivered back to me. June 6th - July 11th or something. That was right when they announced the new warranty though, cuz mine had the RROD.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:02 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I had to send my first 360 back last spring. It took about 4 weeks to get it back then, so a little shorter than what skycrasher had. My second one has been running fine ever since then.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:10 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I just got one back about a week ago, took them about 3 weeks from when I sent it out for them to send me a new system, they also gave me a free month of live gold, 2 thumbs up for that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:34 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

Dobbil wrote:
I just got one back about a week ago, took them about 3 weeks from when I sent it out for them to send me a new system, they also gave me a free month of live gold, 2 thumbs up for that.

Good to hear. The times I've been hearing from you guys and other sources have been getting shorter so there's a much better chance now of getting it back before Halo 3. I am relieved, although I still don't get to play Bioshock until after it's actually released now (apart from the few hours I played yesterday). I swear my gaming karma is getting me back for buying Bioshock early.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:12 PM 
Bridge Dweller

3 weeks sounds right, I received my box on the 12th and shipped it on the 13th I think. Got it back in July, so yeah.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:29 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

I just registered it on xbox.com and got things rolling this morning. They're already in the process of sending out the box to ship it back for repairs. Looks like they've got the process for fixing them running smoothly at least.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:18 AM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

EQ1: Doon
WoW: Doon
I sent mine in 2 weeks ago. I should be getting it via UPS today. I never registered it until I got the RROD and tech support registered it while setting up a repair request. The repair was free.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:36 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I finally downloaded and played the demo last night. It was a lot of fun and it definitely looks like they put a significant amount of effort into building the atmosphere for the game. It was especially creepy when you come across that lady cooing over the baby carraige. First you can hear her talking, then you see her shadow projected on the far wall. When you finally turn the corner her back is to you and she's bent over the carraige. It really made me pause and wonder if I should kill her.

But when I got too close she turned and growled like a splicer, so I electrocuted her and smashed her head with a wrench. Then I saw that the "baby" was actually a gun. Freaky stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:50 AM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

Yeah, Tabor, it gets a lot creepier as you get further into it. I got a ways past where the demo ends (the end of the demo is creepy as is) and there's some great stuff. I don't want to ruin it but there were a couple of things that gave me chills and had me looking over my shoulder every few seconds to make sure the damn slicers weren't going to suddenly pop out from behind me. The atmosphere is like no game I've played before really and the story seems to be playing out very interestingly... you find a lot of tape recorders lying around that give you back story. It's a pretty cool way to present the story of what happened in Rapture. Oh yeah and the telekinesis plasmid is super fun, I know it's been done before in HL2 and other games with gravity guns and stuff but it's still a blast.

1up.com gave it a 10, IGN gave it a 9.7. This is a definite game of the year candidate in my book, it's just simply amazing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:46 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

BuckStarr wrote:
Rokhan wrote:
This is why I own a PS3.

Because you like having two (if that) games that are worth playing and none that warrant a $600 purchase? Awesome, good for you. Out of the people I know who have 360s mine is the first that's broken. The only reason I'm upset about it is because I JUST got Madden and Bioshock. Had it happened one day earlier I would have been like "oh well" but after playing Bioshock for hours I'm dying to get back into Rapture and tear up some fucking splicers. Oh well, I'll have to play at a friend's house until I get mine back.

Skycrasher, how long did it take to get the system back? If I don't get it back by Halo 3 I'm going to Washington and shitting on Microsoft's doorstep.

Console FPS = lame to me, I will get this on my PC. I got my PS3 because it is one of the most reliable next gen systems, I have Madden as well. Sixaxis > Wii Numchck (for me), blu-ray = awesome, Media center = I had all my BT movies and shows on the PS3 an hour after I bought the system, and the games support is coming... give it time. (FF, GTA, MGS) I could have waited, but I like the price point and the backwards compatibility of the 60gb model.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:48 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
have fun with it on your pc. Hope you like playing it on a 17-24" screen while we're enjoying it on our 32"+ hdtvs with our 5.1-7.1 surround systems, sitting on our couch in a dark room, enjoying the atmosphere.

What's that? You're only getting 20fps? So sorry.

And your ps3 media center? Xbox 360's had that since release, sir. MGS? Not a PS3 exclusive. FF? Probably not exclusive. GTA4? Known not to be exclusive, in fact, the release is being held up because of problems with the ps3.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:47 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I prefer the mouse control to a controller is the main reason Van. I can port it to my 55" TV if I want to as well. I have 5.1 surround on my PC... *shrug*

I agree with you on FPS though... that wont be great.

Also, whats the big deal about if a game is an exclusive or not? I am in favor of ALL games being multi platform, FF will likely be exclusive though, as will all GTA games after 4 (so sayeth the RockStar).

As far as the Media center... PS3 has it now, and I didnt have one before now... so... *shrug* felt like the best, most reliable system that will eventually have the game support I want.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:31 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Most of the arguments that people make about getting a PS3 over a 360 revolve around games being PS3 exclusive, which usually doesn't end up being the case when it is all said and done. When those arguments are proven bad, they usually resort to the arguments like yours, arguments about stuff that the 360 already has. I don't see people arguing in favor of a PS3 because of "Home" or because of the controller for the most part (personally, I prefer the rumble in a controller). In the end, it usually comes down to what a person gets first. If he/she gets a PS3, they'll argue why it is better until they are blue in the face. Ditto, if they get a 360 first.

I don't play a shitton of online stuff (I get my ass kicked too bad in games like Gears of War). However, I still think that the 360 offers way more than the PS3, with the XBLA titles, the Movies, TV shows, amd just the marketplace in general. The 360 also has titles that the true gamers just can't get enough of. Gears redefined graphics in games and has yet to be topped. Halo3 will break the bank with the sales and online experiences. Most games that are compared between the 2 systems perform better on the 360. You have Madden on the PS3, but the FPS is much better on the 360. EA has even attempted to apologize for it. As the next-gen sports games continue to come out, we'll start seeing more leagues that people can play in. We'll start seeing more things that widen the gap between the PS3 users and the 360 users, I have a feeling. While Blu-ray may be winning the format war, in the end, that becomes the justification for the $600 purchase. Is that what you really bought it for? To play Blu-ray movies?

Call me biased, but even if I wasn't an owner of one of the two, the "perks" of owning a 360 far outweigh the "perks" of owning a PS3.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:47 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I have all 3 current generation systems, so I don't give a fuck. I don't use the XBL Marketplace, because I just download everything I want for free anyhow. I use TVersity to stream media to my PS3/360/Wii. They're all the same. I like some better in some areas and some worse in others.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:25 PM 

Vanamar wrote:
have fun with it on your pc. Hope you like playing it on a 17-24" screen while we're enjoying it on our 32"+ hdtvs with our 5.1-7.1 surround systems, sitting on our couch in a dark room, enjoying the atmosphere.

What's that? You're only getting 20fps? So sorry.

And your ps3 media center? Xbox 360's had that since release, sir. MGS? Not a PS3 exclusive. FF? Probably not exclusive. GTA4? Known not to be exclusive, in fact, the release is being held up because of problems with the ps3.

http://tinyurl.com/2kua2m

Or more specific....

"The final geekily gratifying thing about the PC version is how well it runs. It was dazzlingly beautiful and hitchlessly smooth on a machine with an Athlon X2 5200 and a single entry-level GeForce 8800 - running DirectX 9. And this was at 1600x900 on max settings."

I'll spare the rest of the FPS console rape in that review.

The game will be just as enjoyable, if not moreso, on the PC as its 360 "port".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:01 AM 
Bridge Dweller

The difference is a 5200 Processor and GeForce 8800 video card cost more than an Xbox 360. (Nevermind a compatible motherboard + decent amount of RAM)

Consoles are cheaper, and perform better as a baseline standard across the board.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:20 AM 

Minimum System Requirements:
* Operating Systems: Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) or Windows Vista
* CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor
* System RAM: 1GB
* Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).
* Sound Card: 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card Hard disc space: 8GB free space

Recommended System Requirements:
* Operating Systems: Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) or Windows Vista
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor
* System RAM: 2GB
* Video card: DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better) DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better
* Sound Card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)

I can do all the recommended EXCEPT that video card, sweet baby jesus, I am downloading the demo to see how it runs anyways. I own a 7900 GS 256MB card.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:57 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Minimum specs and "recommended" specs jump nearly triple in the CPU / Video Card cats. That's wild.

Everyone knows minimum gaming sucks! Sure... you can play -- but it's not nearly as awesome as having all the graphics maxed out. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:08 PM 

Patch servers getting raped today haha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:38 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Those minimum specs make the Dell Dimension 8400 that I bought in Jan 2005 very sadface. Although since WoW is the only game I've played on that PC in well over a year it's still good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:29 PM 
Bridge Dweller

same here. i'm done with pc gaming. i have wow, but that runs decent on the ghetto hardware i have. there arent going to be any pc gaming exclusives that won't play / look better on the consoles i own.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:43 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

That's exactly how I feel. Even though it's tempting to play Warhammer Online, dropping $2k on upgrading to play that game, when WoW will still be alive and well with it's expansion makes no sense to me. I play WoW on my work laptop, sitting in my living room.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:07 PM 
Bridge Dweller

i was recently considering upgrading my computer but to get a "mid-end" system with a cpu, mobo, and video card it was under 800$, and that's not even a great system. i dunno, i don't think it's worth it anymore to keep upgrading.

we'll see the warhammer specs though... who knows.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:32 PM 

Ahahahahah. The rootkit drama over the PC version is fucking classic. Even tho it's not a big deal, people are taking to the streets with torch and pitchfork in hand. Sheep are stupid.

I'll link it later, but basically....

Quote:
"UPDATES ON SECUROM™, PC ACTIVATION, AND A TECHNICAL FAQ
August 23, 2007

We have been reading and listening to your frustrations over SecuROM, PC activation problems, and technical support issues since BioShock launched on Tuesday, and we've devised a plan to help.

Starting immediately, we will be upping the activation count to a 5 by 5 plan. We will be raising the maximum amount of computers a user can have BioShock installed on simultaneously from 2 to 5, and allowing a user to reinstall BioShock on each of those computers from 3 times to 5 times. Also, we have in the works a revoke tool which you will be able to run on your machine if you want to free up that key and move it to to another computer (this works very much like Steam or iTunes system). We are also working with SecuROM and 2K customer service, so that when you do need to call in support problems, you get answers to your questions faster, without much waiting or being bounced around. SecuROM has been given much more autonomy to help fix your problems quickly and effectively. I am personally sorry for anyone who got bounced around in the past couple days (I even think I contributed to this problem) and we're going to make sure that does not happen in the future.

As for other technical issues, we are bringing on a team of tech support that will be on the 2K forums 24/7 to help people resolve their technical issues. Our QA guys are in the offices and on the forums, too, reproducing issues and looking for workarounds and compiling information that they can put towards making you a patch and updating the knowledge base.

Also, we are aware that our activation server went down last night, stopping some of you from finishing your installs. The server is up and running now and we have corrected the problem that caused that crash.

Finally, we have released a FAQ, which you can view in full below (and will also be posted on the 2K Forums in the Technical Support area) that will help clear up a lot of questions and misinformation that has been floating around about SecuROM and PC activation.

And as for widescreen, we also want to say we completely understand a user's desire to augment their FOV. BioShock is a harrowing experience, but we don't want anyone to feel limited (or motion sick!). So we are in the process of working on an official PC patch to give widescreen PC users a choice to expand their horizontal FOV, and are investigating creating a similar update for the 360.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:46 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Any guesses to when 2K release a No-CD patch? =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:39 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

There is zero fucking reason any pc programs need to install rootkits.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:50 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I played the demo on my pc (somewhere in the middle of the min and rec specs listed above). It was pretty swank. I'll be checking out the full game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:34 AM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

EQ1: Chibb
WoW: Peinn
My 360 crapped out the 2nd night of playing Bioshock. It started freezing then it eventually went into the RROD. I wonder if Bioshock is just overworking the older systems into failure. I know they have defects but it does seem strange that a lot of people are having it occur after playing Bioshock for extended periods of time. Hopefully my box will arrive by Tuesday so I can get the ball rolling on my replacement before Halo 3 comes out.

From what I got to see of the game, it really is a unique, fun experience.

Offline Profile