It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:45 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:49 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Who is following this?

I'm watching the Sony Presentation right now. I can't wait for some games. Here's a short list:

MGS4
FFXIII
CoD4
Assassin's Creed
Rock Band
GH3
Resident Evil 5

Elsewhere:
Mario Kart Wii
Super Mario Galaxy

and the list goes on.

Lots of neat stuff this year. Yay.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: E3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:20 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I didn't see anything out of them that would make me want to spend that kind of money.

And if you're going to call it real time, make it god damn real time, not gameplay footage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:21 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
It doesn't feel right to make fun of Sony any more, it is actually sort of sad. How many exclusive titles did they end up having after losing a lot of them to Microsoft? Like 5? =x

It was funny to watch them mention the word innovation after almost every sentence at the beginning. It was even funnier to see them talk about connectivity when Nintendo did this last generation and they were mocked by it (and by Sony).

Sucks to be Sony.

Also, what the heck happened to FFXIII?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:40 PM 
Bridge Dweller

What exclusivity rights that were concrete did Sony lose?

I love my PS3. People may bag on them but the fact is that it's a great console with it's value and own line of good games. The Wii doesn't have exactly a blockbuster lineup, but by the end of the year both consoles will have many heavy hitters. I am kind of interested in the Playstation Home thing, looks like Second Life but better. I hate Second Life but the ideas presented in the Sony version are awesome.

I also like having my 360 because I can pick between the two for whichever version has a superior edge or better long-term content. (I will be getting GTAIV for the 360 because of the episodic content, as an example)

Plus, I don't have to worry about who wins the HD war for DVDs. Blu-Ray will probably win, but if all else, I have my HD-DVD addon for the 360.

After I beat LoZ: TP on my Wii I haven't played anything on it besides drunken Wii Sports / Play games, and RE4. Shrug. Wii and PS3 leave a lot to be desired atm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:55 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
Smash Brothers Brawl will launch in the US on December 3rd.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:59 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

They lost most of the ones that were worth getting except for MGS4 and Killzone 2. They are still getting the games, but you can also get them on the 360. And for someone like me who doesn't yet own a PS3 or 360 there's really no reason to get a PS3 over the 360. The Home thing looks sort of interesting, but what I've seen of Xbox Live I prefer it over Home.

I was not impressed, and I have no desire to get a PS3 after seeing their conference. I'll stick with the DS/Wii and PC for a while, with the possibility of getting a 360 sometime next year.

Edit: Probably shouldn't say worth getting since what's worth getting for me might not be for others. But they lost exclusives that would have helped Sony move out consoles such as Assasin's Creed and GTA, I think Devil May Cry as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:35 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Hasn't GTA been multi-platform for years?

Assassin's Creed was never guaranteed as an exclusive title IIRC either.

?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:53 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Uhmm, GTA: San Andreas was exclusive for the PS2 when it first came out then it was ported for the Xbox if I remember correctly. GTA IV will be the first multi-platform release. And as far as I know Assasin's Creed was first announced as a PS3 exclusive. I really wasn't aware it was mutli-platform until yesterday. That leaves the PS3 with MSG4, Killzone and FFXIII as the big exclusive titles. Then again, we didn't hear anything from FFXIII so who knows about that.

Edit: Even Katamari has now left the PS3 for the 360. =x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:06 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Assassin's Creed was first a PS3-only title but that only lasted like a month. It has been cross-platform for a long time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:22 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
Capcom did remove Devil May Cry 4 from PS3 Exclusive, it will appear on Xbox 360.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:29 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

GTA 3 didn't not release for the Xbox until after Vice City was out on PS2. Then they released both GTA 3 and VC on the Xbox. Then GTA San Andreas had a 1 year exclusivity contract with Sony. Now they don't even have that.

When I get around to buying one, it will be the 360. Live is proven, I don't have to hope and pray Home is worth a fuck, I know Live is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:52 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Well they're two completely different things.

The PSN does everything Live does (except movies and crap, but I don't buy shit -- I download it) and it's free. That's a big up on it right there.

Home is something not comparable to live because they don't have anything to rival it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:02 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Who said anything about comparing them? I'm not sure I even give a fuck about the movies. What I'm talking about is network stability, the servers not being laggy as all fuck, having a good friend setup and all that jazz.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:57 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Only console games I am really looking at this year are Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, and CoD4

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:34 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Quote:
Smash Brothers Brawl will launch in the US on December 3rd

Can you give me a link for this?
I never look up games- Been trying to look this one up for my one son. He has had money saved since this past Christmas and each Sunday gets totally upset because his game isn't out yet. Hell, I don't even know how he found out it was coming out.

I can look up the game, but nothing shows a release date at all.
Thanks bunches!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:43 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Here you go Carol,

http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803347p1.html

=)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:45 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
It was just announced yesterday at the Nintendo Press Conference... tis why it hasn't trickled down yet, next day or two everyone should get their act together.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:15 AM 
Bridge Dweller

DarkOmen42 wrote:
Who said anything about comparing them? I'm not sure I even give a fuck about the movies. What I'm talking about is network stability, the servers not being laggy as all fuck, having a good friend setup and all that jazz.

PSN isn't laggy. I download demos and updates just as fast on PSN as I do on Xbox Live. The friend system is fine as well... load up a game, invite friends, (or do it from XMB), etc.

the only thing they need is to make the XMB available IN GAME during game play. Then it'd have an advantage over Live.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:05 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
XBox Live has Symphony of the Night.

XBox Live wins.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:47 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I'd bet that since Konami released SoTN on Xbox live they will also release it on WiiWare when that launches next year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:11 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

WTB games that worry more about game play, mechanics and story the how pretty it looks :(

I just got a Wii abit to try and get the GF to play something and its pretty damn innovative but the games....meh. I think of any of the systems PS3 has the best chance of having exclusive titles that I "personally" like.

As is NIS and ATLUS are 2 of the only companies I trust to be involved in a game on any platform.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:02 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

I dont believe I have ever been disappointed by Bioware

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:19 AM 
Bridge Dweller

story and game play can only take you so far.

graphics are a huge important part of gaming nowadays. that's just a fact. if you don't like it -- sorry doesn't negate their important.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:21 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Hahahahahahahaha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:14 AM 
Bridge Dweller

It's sad that there are gamers out there who don't believe that graphics are just as important at Story, and Gameplay/Mechanics. They're all equals -- and a game that nails them all (Gears of War -- Half-Life 2 -- etc) will be more triumphant than a game that hangs it's hat on stellar gameplay but archaic graphics.

I mean, we're not playing on NES / Sega 2nd generation consoles anymore. You're an idiot if you don't think that developers and consumers care about graphics. A good example is the amazing outcry for a remake of Final Fantasy VII. The game was amazing, but now with the technology we have these days, the game would experience such a boon in it's quality with a remake using current technologies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:39 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

What's sad is you actually believe they're equal when clearly they're not.

When is the last time anyone fired up a 5-15 year old game to play because of the killer graphics? Doesn't happen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:59 AM 
Bridge Dweller

They actually are indeed clearly equal. Which is why developers aren't focusing solely on gameplay / story.

Why do they improve the graphics if they aren't an important facet of a game? Why do game developers actually care about graphics and harness the power of new technology, if they aren't important? Why are titles hyped on graphical intuitivity alongside with their great stories?

Because the demand is there, and that is what gamers by and large want. I know a LOT of people who work for Microsoft, Rockstar and even a couple at Nintendo, and I believe them more than I trust your opinion. ;) Even though graphics aren't the hi-lite point of the Wii, they do care and actually try to optimize it to the power they have -- just not on the scale that Sony / Microsoft do.

Besides... the Wii doesn't have very many good games. Heh.

So you're saying people aren't going to be replaying Gears of War in 5-15 years?

What you say makes no sense. They go hand in hand. No one would by a new hyped title today that had graphics of a 15 year old game when there are many comparable alternatives that do have the graphics and the story / gameplay.

Graphics makes games better. Just like great stories make games better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:46 PM 
I am a Spaceman

The fun part about skycrasher is when you realize that he actually believes what he is saying and isn't just trying really hard to troll people all the time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:07 PM 
Do you smell that?

He's right. Advances in graphics technology drive the gaming industry. No one is saying that it's the only reason people buy games. But it is a VERY important one. Hardware companies don't post billion-plus revenues because you like engrossing, story-driven RPGs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:27 PM 
I am a Spaceman

It might drive the industry, but it is stupid and gay. The hard-on for blast processing/hdr/bloom/whatever the fuck has resulted in a shitty era of gaming that is well evidenced by the fact that the DS is the best system being currently developed for. When people stop getting hyped for shitty shooters just because they have some gimmick technology and shiny graphics it will be a grand and beautiful time.

The Wiimote is great, but it won't change anything since the industry views it an afterthought. I agree the Wii doesn't have alot of great games, but neither does the 360 or PS3. Gears of Wars is over in like 5 hours and, like every other XBOX shooter, it can't to compare with 5+ year old pc shooters. Look at all the mediocre Doom3/FarCry/F.E.A.R. shit that has ruled the technological advancement front and you realize that 9 months of magazines sucking an hdr cock results in nothing good. Art design might be as important as story, but overhyped technology advancements as a game selling mechanic is the most retarded shit.

Also, nothing is as important as gameplay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:36 PM 
Do you smell that?

I agree with everything you just said. The industry saw a large swing of corporate attitude in the previous 5-8 years. Development studios were being scooped up by large publishers and becoming SKU mills. Pumping out 5-10 new boxed products with the same slightly tweaked technology was indeed stupid and gay. But I think most of that had less to do with graphic technology improvements and more to do with lower production costs equalling higher revenue because the public was ignorant and easy to please.

From what I can tell, that attitude is changing. Power in game development is heading back to where it belongs, the development studio. Art design and production are starting to once again become as important as technology. The public has once again become fickle and informed and will simply not buy what does not deliver.

It was a mini dark ages, but it appears to be ending and DIY and small studio development is going to rise again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:56 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Nobody said they weren't important, obviously they are given that their the first thing a person 'experiences' and you want to make a good first impression. That still in no way, shape or forms makes the two qualities equal.

Case in point, every Blizzard game ever made. Blizzard games have consistently had inferior graphics to their competition throughout the years yet they continue to trounce said competition. Why do you suppose that is? According to you, a game with weaker gameplay and stronger graphics should be equivalent to a game with weaker graphics and stronger gameplay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:51 PM 
Bridge Dweller

No, I said they're all equally important. If they are all nailed down and great, that game won't have any competition. If you have two great games with amazing stories and gameplay and one had shitty graphics, you'd obviously pick the one with great graphics.

It's a no brainer. Better graphics gives a game a better chance to appeal to consumers. Whereas a good story does, and great gameplay, etc. They're all vital components and should be given equal attention to make a *great* game.

I disagree with the DS being the best system developed for too, by the way. The 360 has many amazing games and by the end of the year it will be king, with no ifs ands or buts about it.

DS is a great system (I own one) but it takes a back seat to my consoles. I play it when I'm short on time, waiting for somewhere, or on a flight. Other than that, it gathers dust.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:21 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Read my last line again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:25 PM 
Do you smell that?

Your last line is a troll.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:30 PM 
Bridge Dweller

I don't think that one factor can make up for another factor.

So no, that's not what I'm saying.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:41 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

ShareefRahim wrote:
Your last line is a troll.

It absolutely isn't. He makes the bold claim that graphics and gameplay are equal attributes which is is no different than what my last line asserts.

(2x + x) or (x + 2x) is still 3x.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:54 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Food and Water are both necessary for human life. I can't doubleup on water and neglect food, or vice versa.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:56 PM 
Bridge Dweller

You're either completely ignoring (to try and troll me or discredit me) or completely missing out on the point (stubborness / unwillingness to admit the facts) that is the the key piece of my argument in which I say that ALL 3 when done correctly make a better game than a game with only 2 attributes being amazing. Whether it's gameplay + graphics, story + graphics, or story + gameplay, for a game to be a great well-rounded experience, equal attention needs to be distributed among all 3 in this day and age of gaming.

Focus needs to be given equally for a game to be an enjoyable experience with the current line of consoles.

End of discussion.

PS: My opinion is that the Blizzard RTS games, Warcraft & Starcraft suck. Diablo was OK, but I didn't ever get into it, even at the time it was a hotly touted title. Shrug. That's neither here nor there, I just wanted to state my personal opinion on that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:19 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

xskycrasherx wrote:
Whether it's gameplay + graphics, story + graphics, or story + gameplay, for a game to be a great well-rounded experience, equal attention needs to be distributed among all 3 in this day and age of gaming.

And this is where I disagree. Obviously proper balancing of a games attributes makes for the best game but that in no way implies that equal time and resources need be applied to all those facets.

Gameplay is king and this has been proven time and time again both through accolades received and units sold.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:22 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Neither one of us is going to concede but myself working in the gaming industry and you not, I'll take my opinion for what it's worth, and yours for what it's worth. =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:59 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Graphics are important. Gameplay and story is also important. End of story.

There have been many gorgeous looking games that sucked so horribly on the gameplay/story line that it was deemed of poor quality by many gamers. The same as well, in the sense that a great story line with outstanding controls and gameplay looked so crappy that it was hard for gamers to even play.

Having said that, I personally believe that you can play an ugly looking game that has a great story/gameplay; however, it is far far more difficult (and almost impossible) to play a gorgeous looking game that sucks at gameplay and story. Because of that belief, I do feel that story/gameplay does outweigh graphics... but at the same time, a great game has elements of both.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:00 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Quote:
but myself working in the gaming industry and you not

Do you work at EB Games or Gamestop? :skewl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:50 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

All the graphics in the world will not make up for a shitty game.

Gameplay and optimization are king, if it runs like ass or is a pain in the ass to play the story nor graphics matter.

Then it depends on what kind of game as to how much graphics matter. In a racer, graphics matter tons, in an RPG, it's lower on the totem pole.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:06 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Neesha the Necro wrote:
Quote:
but myself working in the gaming industry and you not

Do you work at EB Games or Gamestop? :skewl:

I actually have a paid internship with a game developer working in their legal department.

Thanks.

To DarkOmen, I never said graphics could make up for any poor component of the game. However, in order for a game to be truly successful in this new generation of platforms -- it must nail all 3 facets. They are a very important factor in gaming today and cannot be ignored (and they aren't ignored.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:55 AM 
I am a Spaceman

Rainbow Studios?

come on guys, you got to believe him because he might copy a cover letter for smash hit ATV vs. MX UNLEASHED. His dumb ideas are certainly validated by a paid internship that will last three months at an obscure stuido that makes terrible games. He got the fast track to Shigeru Miyamoto's ear and will probably design the next Halo game on his own just because he is bored and has nothing better to do.

By the way guys, the DS is obviously doomed to failure when people hear about the PSP, it can do graphics like 100 times as good. All the faggoty pokemon shit will get blown away cause PSP got the mad 3D blast processing hook up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:52 PM 
Bridge Dweller

You make a lot of assumptions. =) I won't fall for your troll bait though!

Rainbow Studios isn't a large enough company to have a self-contained legal department. Think bigger. I won't reveal my employer because of what I've seen happen in the past on these forums when people use that kind of information for lame ass attempts of bullying people IRL.

I work with different departments of developers on a day to day basis and I'm around them enough to know what their focus is when it comes to game development, though. My knowledge comes from an insiders perspective -- not your average joe blogger on the internet who screams all day about how they know so much because they're a gamer. I'm not just a gopher around here, though. I can tell you that much.

Nice knee-jerk reaction about the DS comment too, wouldn't expect any less! I don't own a PSP, but I do own a DS. That should be clear enough for you to comment on my stance about the handheld console "war."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:13 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Spare us, please.

Outside of you contradicting yourself, there are plenty of other examples that prove the exact opposite of what you are trying to convince us is true.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:39 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

I put in the sidewalks and flower beds outside the Microsoft millennium building F where they do most of the game testing and development. Does that mean I can tell everyone on the internet that I work in the gaming industry? Its just as related to game design and development as pushing paper in the legal department.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:48 PM 
Bridge Dweller

When you deal with intellectual property infringement and copyright violations included in the software / game products we develop, yes -- I'd say I work intimately with the games, our developers, and the progress of our titles.

Yes, there are a lot of intricacies that we have to deal with when we use our engine(s) that we license from other developers, video tools, incorporation of other companies assets, and even to things like the software we use to develop games. But you're right, I have absolutely nothing to do with the video game industry. I just work with a team of attorneys who represent our corporation pushing paper. :roll: I know absolutely nothing, especially not more than you could!

You can't work with a product that you don't know. Contrary to what you seem to think, Willey.

Give me a break. People who are looking for a shot to be involved with and working in the gaming industry would love to be in a position that I'm in. Sounds like some of you are bitter for some reason.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:56 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Not bitter, we're actually marvelling at how long you can suck your own rod without coming up for air. What is it, six weeks now?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:57 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Autofellatio is a great thing. I am the Champion of Lanys.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:27 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
XBox Live has Symphony of the Night.

XBox Live wins.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night out now for PS3/PSP! Yay!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:53 AM 

And the best part, it is the best title avalable for the console to date.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:23 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Frankly, I was sad that many of the big developers switched systems come the PS3. It had so much potential, but developers got just plain scared when they saw the price tag on it. I would have loved to have all of my favorite PS and PS2 games along with new PS3 games all in the same system.

That being said, I stopped reading here:

Quote:
FFXIII

There's my justification for owning a PS3. As well as GTA4. And being able to play all the good games from PS2/PS on one system.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:46 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

hah I missed this until just now...

Quote:
I won't reveal my employer because of what I've seen happen in the past on these forums when people use that kind of information for lame ass attempts of bullying people IRL.

lolz

Hate to break it to ya skycrasher, but you're not that important to us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:09 PM 

That's because you do not break an NDA. That was Turbo's own fault. Reguardless of who told or how they found out, you do not break an NDA. I'm guessing it was account sharing anyway.

And thus is why you only heard "it sucks" "they fixed this non descript problem but this still sucks" "it's getting better but I am not saying why" from me till beta 4/open beta.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:08 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
And the best part, it is the best title avalable for the console to date.

Merely opinion. I love(d) Resistance Fall of Man. There aren't many great titles yet but come year end there will be plenty.

Offline Profile