It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:22 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dungeon Siege II
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:12 AM 

When you get past the random bugs in the game and the fact that most of it is spent on easy mode in the beginning, Dungeon Siege II is a beautiful game.<
>
<
>
The scenery is beautiful and so far through act one, I'm entertained with the story line.<
>
<
>
I don't remember the combat system in dungeon siege, but it can be annoying (hold attack button on the mouse to continue attacking a single click = one swing) but it isn't to bad<
>
<
>
Heck you can even kite in the game !<
>
<
>
Single player rpg's for the PC are so fer and far between these days, so far this is a definate pick up. It looks like the replayability will also be high (I think you can go through at different ranks and shit is harder? haven't figured that out.. prolly if I read the manual but I didn't really... get that if you know what I mean)<
>
<
>
This game isn't a sit down and play it through in a session either. If you go through and do all the quests you can act one will take 12 hours alone(three acts) at LEAST... I haven't been keeping total track.<
>
<
>
Anyway so far I like it, it's not the best and it is somewhat linear but so are most rpgs.<
>
<
>
Givin is playing it also so I'm sure he'll give a good contrasting view and better depth. <
>
My Profile - Oryx<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Dungeon Siege II
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:03 AM 

GPG can fuck off. They left a lot of the same bugs in the game that existed in the first one. They also left out the ability to go to a higher resolution just like the first game. ( you can up the reso you just have to add a command line ref ) I wouldnt pay for this game unless it was like 20 bucks. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:30 PM 

The resolution thing is a minor inconvenience it can be changed anyway. Personaly I run the game in 1280x1024 all in game settings maxed, 16x Ansio / 4x AA Temporal and I don't think 1600x1200 would be much better since things would be too small anyway but I will try it tonight.<
>
<
>
As for the bugs... What bugs? I crashed once and it may be because I left it running minimized for like 12 hour while I was at work. I didn't even crash while I was gone it's when I alt tabbed back while my bittorent client was closing and clearing its cache. Back in action baby! EQ - Finlainea - Paladin - Stromm - Fallen LegacyRetired - EQ2 - Finlainea - Dirge - Najena <i>Edited by: Finlainea at: 8/20/05 3:30 pm<
></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:50 PM 

There are a few documented Multiplayer bugs that have been in the game since DS1 was released. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:52 PM 

Ok i tried 3200x1200 splitted on 2 screens, work great but the separation between the 2 screen is too big to handle (2x 21" CRT hehe). A 30" Apple Cinema Display would be so great right now... Back in action baby! EQ - Finlainea - Paladin - Stromm - Fallen LegacyRetired - EQ2 - Finlainea - Dirge - Najena <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:54 PM 

Do you know a place where I can educate myself about those bugs? Back in action baby! EQ - Finlainea - Paladin - Stromm - Fallen LegacyRetired - EQ2 - Finlainea - Dirge - Najena <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:53 PM 

Let me see if I can find them. The board I was reading about it is down right now. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:19 PM 

I haven't ran into any game
eaking bugs, single or multipalyer.<
>
<
>
The game is pretty much an expansion for Dungeon Siege 1, with prettier graphics. If you enjoyed the first one, you will like this 2nd installment.<
>
<
>
Story is nothing special. Evil man, evil and good artifacts, find artifacts, evil man powerful, random good guy dude getting informed, get artifact and slay evil man. At this point in gaming, who really cares anymore. Its all the same shit any way to you slice it. Story works and is still entertaining.<
>
<
>
Gameplay, like I said is almost identical to Dungeon Siege 1. After years of not playing it, and playing mmorpgs instead I found it clunky and awkward. Turning up camera rotate mouse senesitivity and if you look in the very last tab in options, very last two selections you can turn on a one right click attack thing, meaning you dont have to bang your mouse each and every time you want to attack, one click autoattack. Also another option where your dudes will attack the nearest monster automaticly there too. These can make it a ton less tedious.<
>
<
>
The addition of "Shrines and Chants" to me is pretty dumb. Pretty much you get a scroll with a mystic chant on it, and you type out the chant, "or go into your chants window and have the game type it out for you via macro". You do this for a buff that more often than not to me wore off too fast before you even got to the next set of beasts to slay. Also it appears you have two buff slots, and about 100 possible buffs to cast making you have to pick and choose which ones you put in your autocast slots.<
>
<
>
NPC AI makes me go HUH at times. My
os burn the mana like its going out of style with their autocast spells. Fortunatly you can find places to harvest pots on the ground.<
>
<
>
A party in this one appears to be a must have. DS1 you could beat the whole thing solo. In 2 the monsters zerg worse than an alliance team of paladins. Fortunatly the exp spread seems to be decent here and your skills go up across the board pretty fast, so you dont have your archers constantly outskilling your melee and casters.<
>
<
>
All in all, its pretty enjoyable. Its not revoultionary but it is fun. If you like games like this, i'd also suggest Sacred Gold Edition. Its a diablo 2 clone pretty similar to this for 20 bucks. <
>
<i>Edited by: Givin Wetwillies01 at: 8/20/05 6:22 pm<
></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:20 PM 

Probably gonna play with my friend tonight trough a VPN (because hmmm I errrr lost my CD key, yeah! thats it! I lost it)so we will see how it goes hehe.<
>
<
>
Edit---<
>
AHAHA Sacred now THAT is a bug plagued game. <i>Edited by: Finlainea at: 8/20/05 6:22 pm<
></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:24 PM 

The only dungeon hack and slash i've found recently that has been completely unplayable due to bugs has been Dungeon Lords. So any bugs in this would would have to be pretty ground
eaking to even compare. <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:31 PM 

The one thing I wish you could do with this game was one click move and attack. I wanna use the left click for everything and really I am finding using the right click feels un natural. <
>
<
>
I am pretty sure that in the first one you could left click to move and attack and pick shit up. I am kinda not surprised though that there is very little control custimization in this game. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:52 PM 

givin did you try the 'new' temple of elemental evil?<
>
<
>
that shit was buggy<
>
<
>
it can be annoying if you leave a party member in one spot for god knows why to get them back.. the 'gather party' thing doesnt work to well then.<
>
<
>
I once did something while riding an elevator and that crashed the game.. but I didn't get the error when I tried it again.<
>
<
>
Once when I left the game it crashed and said my hd was failing when in fact, it was not.<
>
<
>
I'll have to dig in the options more it looks like <
>
My Profile - Oryx<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:07 PM 

I always just hit Z to pick everyting up after a fight and sort it out later at a vendor, if its magical "blue" I might look at it if im orgonizing potions but the only items I really pay attention to are rares uniques and sets.<
>
<
>
I updated to the latest ati drivers just now, and they suck. Took like 45 mins to get the shit back to normal, and im still not convinced all the way that my comp isn't bugged to hell now. <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:19 PM 

Quote:I am pretty sure that in the first one you could left click to move and attack and pick shit up. I am kinda not surprised though that there is very little control custimization in this game.<
>
You can set this up in game (but only once you are IN game don't know why).<
>
I like that you can set filters so you don't pick up normal items when you auto-pickup stuff.<
>
<
>
Also using the latest ATI drivers and I don't have any problems i'm using .net 2.0 beta instead of 1.1, don't know if that can help you. Back in action baby! EQ - Finlainea - Paladin - Stromm - Fallen LegacyRetired - EQ2 - Finlainea - Dirge - Najena <i>Edited by: Finlainea at: 8/20/05 8:20 pm<
></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:03 PM 

thanks for the info on the auto attack and other shit<
>
the way they word it in the menu is like a poorly translated korean statement. <
>
My Profile - Oryx<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:18 PM 

Yeah this game isnt worth 50 bucks. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:12 AM 

I'm actually really happy with it. Its exactly what I wanted in a hack and slash game. They really put the Dungeon in Dungeon SIege, as there are many dungeons to plunder and explore.<
>
<
>
I also like it how the dungeons are pretty non linear, meaning you dont just go from one to one and clean it out from top to bottom. <
>
<
>
Example. I got one quest from a blacksmith, who had his items stolen. As I ran around the dungeon unleashing justice trying to retrieve his stuff, my level 13 characters turn a corner and get hit in the face by level 25 mobs.<
>
<
>
Good stuff.<
>
<
>
The game is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. And has tons of replayability, just like Diablo/Diablo 2.<
>
<
>
And no more cheap ass save game/open chest or defeat super monster to get the drops you want like in the first game. You save your game, you save your character status. Not your location. Every time I get a purple "unique item" i immediatly save. So far my tank party member, who is an NPC is pimped to shit with uniques and hits like a Mac truck with his double bladed staff of own, while my main character ranger is left wanting and wondering where the shit his items are.<
>
<
>
I cannot wait for the new editor to come out. There will be some pretty impressive mods for this game im sure that will keep it fresh for a long time to come. <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:23 AM 

I'm really liking it so far too. Up to level 46 right now on my single player game. The boss fights require you to pay attention a lot because if you stay still on them their abilities will completely destroy most everyone in your part.<
>
<
>
Also givin, about the going through potions. Stock up on +% mana regen for your casters, it helps a ton. I usually use the +% mana regen buff too.<
>
<
>
Horns of Zaramoth is a pretty fun clear up to the top too, but I'll not say more than that because it would spoil things.<
>
<
>
Oh and my ranger has some pretty pimp shit so far from Veteran setting. Has a 3 piece set of a crossbow/tunic/gloves that kick total ass. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:35 AM 

fuck that blacksmith quest<
>
<
>
I got to the town to get the weapon from his
other or whatever it is.. I get a fuckin combat magic weapon.<
>
<
>
My party of own is <
>
<
>
Warrior<
>
Ranger<
>
Nature Magic person (Dr00d?!)<
>
Dire Wolf (WTF HIS AURA IS 4 FUCKING METERS YOU HAVE TO STAND ON HIS NUTS TO GET IT)<
>
<
>
level 46? how many hours have you put into it.. have you done all the quests? wtf so fast!<
>
<
>
WTB remaster talents though.. I assume to have 2handers be effective you have to spend the 'talent' points<
>
<
>
ATM 23 Melee I'm<
>
133AC<
>
99 Min Dmg<
>
203 Max Dmg<
>
<
>
Working on whirling strike 2.. whirling strike is just own and recharges pretty quick<
>
<
>
I've just started act 2.. have ran around town gotten all the quests and whatnot.. haven't ventured out yet.<
>
<
>
I agree with givin on the dungeons bit.. and through act one they kept changing the scenery.. hopefully I won't see a lot of the same scenery in act 2, it is nice to have mood/weather/scenery changes though and not all the same looking areas over and over and over.<
>
<
>
I'm having fun as my blue man group (blue half giant l0lz), but later on I'll go back through it as a combat mage because I've seen so much gear for it but haven't had one in my party.<
>
<
>
before then I'll prolly actually buy the game, I'd like to find it cheaper than the 50$ though maybe fry'z yo.<
>
<
>
One of the refreshing things about this game is, it's not over in 10 hours.<
>
<
>
Oh yeah<
>
<
>
FUCK MIMICS I hate those fucking things thank god for improved range talent.<
>
<
>
<
>
Another thing<
>
<
>
Spoiler:<
>
<
>
<
>
<
>
<
>
Fuck Quarm.. if you stand on his nuts he's way to easy. <
>
My Profile - Oryx<i>Edited by: digilos at: 8/21/05 6:38 am<
></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:19 AM 

I stayed up all night the first night playing it, other than that a couple hours here and there.<
>
<
>
My group consisted of melee(heavy shield/armor speced), ranged with bow/crossbow/all that stuff, combat mage with pretty heavy lightning/fire spec, and a nature mage heavily healing speced.<
>
<
>
Oh yeah I was pretty disappointed with the blacksmith quest too actually. I got some level 6 dagger my first time through and I was already like level 20 when I got to the town to get it. Talk about ripped off. <i>Edited by: Zxing at: 8/21/05 7:24 am<
></i>