It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:40 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Price of XBox 360
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:57 AM 

http://www.gamespot.com/news/200...27039.html<
>
<
>
Quote:Meanwhile, an analyst report quoted by the Toronto Globe and Mail (registration required) claims to answer another burning question regarding the Xbox 360. The tech-savvy Canadian daily cited a report by UBS Securities analysts Patrick Parr and Martin Cecchetto, which estimated that Microsoft "will pay its manufacturing partners about $375 (US) a unit and sell them to consumers for $299."<
>
<
>
Not definitive, obviously, but a good sign. ---------------------------------<
>
Burog Warrior of Oryx<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Price of XBox 360
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:35 PM 

300 is very reasonable imo. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:39 PM 

Microsoft hopes they sell quantity to push down the cost of making them!<
>
<
>
so then they can make money on them hah

3dx Hosting | 3dx Productions | 3dx Mail | 3dx Change | 3dx Imgshost | BBSWatch

<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:01 PM 

they also expect to make lots of money off of software sales to help recoup their losses. That is what they did with Xbox. <
>down is the new up<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:25 AM 

That and the supposed price points of the new games. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:07 AM 

Microsoft would lose about 75 bucks per Xbox360 sold at 300 bucks. That's a lower loss than either the PS2 or Xbox when they were launched. It might be lower than what they lose on Xbox's now.<
>
<
>
Every console released to date lost money for every unit for the first year or so, until they refine the manufacturing process. ---------------------------------<
>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:43 AM 

they don't lose money on xboxes anymore.<
>
<
>
when a new console is released, it is sold below manufacturing costs, hoping to make up the losses on games. within 2-3 years on the market, the console is no longer a loss leader as it is cheaper to produce than it once was.<
>
<
>
This is a good move by Microsoft, now Sony has to follow suit. I'm not worried about Nintendo's pricing, since Nintendo never wanted to gouge us on their console in the first place. =p Prophion<
>
Dwarf Hunter of Kargath<
>
<Old Board With a Nail><
>
300 Skill Dragonscale Leatherworker<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:30 AM 

Really expensive consoles simply dont work...<
>
<
>
<
>
Anyone remember the neo geo ? Its probably the only console that i dont own, because it came out at a price of like 700 bucks.<
>
<
>
I did buy a 3DO, for, man i dont remember but i think it was around 500 something or so when they came out. What a mistake that was, heh. I still have the console, however, and there are a couple good games on it (samurai showdown was fun, and they had a couple of party games similar to a cross between you dont know jack and mario party).<
>
<
>
Anyway, i think the "sweet spot" for console pricing is in the 249-299 range. More than that, and people are looking at "stereo equipment" instead of "gaming".<
>
<
>
Obviously, the lower the price, the more they can move... this goes doubly true when kids are asking mom and dad to pony up for the console. The price that mom and dad will usually just "buy it" without worrying too much about it is around $149.<
>
<
>
If xbox360 is 299, i will probably buy one. More than that, and i probably will wait till the price drops to around that. Ditto for PS3. They are still "gaming" machines to me, and to most people.<
>
<
>
The "set top box" idea sounds good on paper, and maybe this is the gaming generation that the machines actually become that, but i dont wanna pay hundreds extra for it.<
>
<
>
<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:40 AM 

I would be willing to go as far as $400 for an xbox 360, but no higher. Prophion<
>
Dwarf Hunter of Kargath<
>
<Old Board With a Nail><
>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:17 PM 

3DO, hahaha. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:51 AM 

All companies sell their consoles for less than it costs to produce them. They make money selling games, not consoles. You think Nintendo can make the Gamecube for $100?<
>
<
>
They'll be between $300 and $400, with the advent of online tournaments with cash prizes on Live it will be hard to pass up. Marauder <!--EZCODE LINK START---<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=96718" target="top">Harabakc</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--- - Goat<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:43 AM 

Actually, all the consoles are profitable hardware wise right now. Ninentendo sold the Gamecube for 200 initially, and still had less loss per unit than either the PS2 or Xbox.<
>
<
>
Ninetendo's all about the bottom line profit margin though, not power or market share. ---------------------------------<
>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:47 AM 

Consoles are only a loss during the first year of production, after that, it's the inverse. Price cuts on consoles indicate that the makers are profiting on hardware. Prophion<
>
Dwarf Hunter of Kargath<
>
<Cult of the Moonkin><
>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:19 AM 

I'm pretty sure the Xbox lost money for longer than a year, and only recently stopping posting a loss on each hardware sale (if even, still not sure on that). ---------------------------------<
>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:25 PM 

Quote:This is a good move by Microsoft, now Sony has to follow suit. I'm not worried about Nintendo's pricing, since Nintendo never wanted to gouge us on their console in the first place. =p All three are going into this knowing they have to do it; it's not like Microsoft invented the practice or anything. Tranthas Stormwalker<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:09 PM 

Oh yeah up to date price info, $299. That's kinda old news though. Marauder <!--EZCODE LINK START---<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=96718" target="top">Harabakc</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--- - Goat<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:26 AM 

I'd pay about 30 dollars for some magno-mitts. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:47 AM 

They also often sell features seperately to lower costs. If the PS3 is truly rumored to cost $499, they will have to find a way to reduce it to $299, most likely dropping something from the feature list.<
>
<
>
I do agree, $300 is a fair price.<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:10 AM 

The first version of the XBox360 won't have an HD-DVD drive, and it most likely won't be an add-on, you'll have to buy a whole new 360 to get it. ---------------------------------<
>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:19 AM 

Honestly though anyone that would want an HDDVD drive wouldnt use the one included in the 360. <
>
<
>
Its the same people that didnt use the ps2 for the dvd drive when they got it. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:17 AM 

Im wondering if the price of games will go up as a result of the loss on consoles? Will we be looking at 70-80$ game releases? Cheysulii Liegeman<
>
56 Beastlord of the Tribunal<
>
<
>
<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:23 AM 

EA has plans to start selling all its games for 59.99. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:16 AM 

Yah, I'm sure they overpaid some consultants to determine the threshold price of $60 day one, and then it will drop to $50 shortly there after and be worth $12 if you trade it in.<
>
<
>
I wonder how that $60
eaks down. How much is for Microsoft, how much for distributor, for developer? <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:19 AM 

Oh MY.<
>
<
>
<
>
Quote:<
>
Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)<
>
•Xbox 360 console<
>
•Wired controller<
>
•Detachable faceplate<
>
•Xbox Live Silver membership<
>
•Standard AV cables<
>
<
>
Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)<
>
•Xbox 360 console<
>
•20GB detachable hard drive<
>
•Wireless controller<
>
•Wireless Xbox Live headset<
>
•High-definition AV cables<
>
•Ethernet cable<
>
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)<
>
•Detachable faceplate<
>
•Xbox Live Silver membership<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:52 AM 

I saw digg.com that this new price list which came from the L.A. times is incorrect, and that the lowest model will include a hard drive. I'll see if I can find the info.<
>
<
>
EDIT: Seeing a lot of conflicting info on this, but the prices Ran posted are now up on Xbox.com, so I guess that makes them official.<
>
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/2...etails.htm<
>
<i>Edited by: Taborcarn  at: 8/17/05 1:12 pm<
></i>