It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:52 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:29 PM 

Before diving into EA Sports' latest college football title, let us first introduce ourselves to "the horseshit play."<
>
<
>
After two highly successful defensive downs, your computer controlled opponent looks at third and seventeen, an obvious passing situation. You call a passing defense formation, with Prevent or Double Outs coverage to account for two of their four receivers, with your LBs on their slot receivers. Before the snap, you move your defensive line in tight, both to block any running lanes in the attempt of a QB draw, and to make the offensive line easier to penetrate and provide pressure on the QB. The ball is snapped and a lineman comes free, hitting the quarterback just in time for him to affect his release of the ball. It sails high and deep, seemingly without target, until you notice your two defenders tightly wrapped around a receiver, following the flight path of the ball. Forty yards later, as all three players jump for the ball, your opponent comes down with the catch and is invincible to any tackling attempt by the two players who are still on top of him, and runs the ball in for a touchdown.<
>
<
>
If you are like me, after executing perfect defense such as the situation describes, and are still robbed of the glory of a fourth down, you throw your controller down in disgust and shout "HORSESHIT!!1"<
>
<
>
This is the failure of the game. It's too hard. Not too hard in the right ways, where you have to respond in a split second when the computer makes a right move. It's too hard in the manner of horseshit plays, where, against ridiculous odds, the computer routinely performs near-impossible feats. While your own offensive and defensive success is based on strategic playcalling, pinpoint execution and flawless controller technique, the success of the computer opponent seems to be entirely arbitrary and based on stupid luck.<
>
<
>
I've played roughly 15 games since I bought it yesterday, and provide this list of complaints. Note that I'm playing the game on the default difficulty setting with the 05 controller scheme.<
>
<
>
1. Horseshit plays occur entirely too often, especially when playing against wildly inferior teams (#86 ranked computer team getting four 50+ yard touchdown passes on consecutive drives vs. my #1 player controlled team). There also seems to be defensive horseshit plays. One of the worst problems of 2005 was a player lock when the QB was about to be sacked. When a computer defender was approaching the QB to sack, there was about a 1% chance you would be able to control the QB in effort to avert the tackle, throw the ball away, etc., while the computer controlled QBs routinely would "hit the black button" to avoid losing yardage.<
>
<
>
2. Turnovers seem to be more frequent in this year's edition, and although most interceptions are the fault of the player, fumbles seem to happen at random, especially in the red zone. On two consecutive drives, against a team entirely outclassed, my Heisman-leading HB fumbled on the one yard line, but I have yet to force a single red zone turnover. I also have yet to recover a single fumble, although this is largely due to the camera orientation of the game. When the ball hits the ground in traffic, there's just really no way to see it, and so the computer, mechanically knowing where the ball is, is able to pounce on it. The one time I was the beneficiary of an offensive horseshit play, one of the covering defenders jarred the ball loose, and even after making my guy jump directly on the ball, the opponent made the recovery.<
>
<
>
3. This edition introduces Impact Players, which causes the game to lean toward star players rather than good team cooperation, a mainstay of college football. Impact Players are capable of going "In The Zone," which seems to happen completely randomly, converting them from well-above-average athletes to superhuman cyborg football ninjas. If a QB or WR are In the Zone and a pass play is called, nearly any attempt to keep them from scoring will be turned away. For HB and FB Impact Players, the In The Zone effect seems to be lessened, although they are more capable of
eaking a series of tackles. Non-option run defense has never been harder than it should be in the NCAA games, but pass defense has always been an issue, and with the introduction of Impact Players and the deluge of horseshit plays, even the most flawless defensive strategy and execution are useless.<
>
<
>
NCAA Football 2006 has a number of good features, such as the new Race for the Heisman mode, which the game inserts you in by default. You select a position and are given an offseason-style drill to perform, and based on the outcome, are offered three starting positions, although you can choose to walk on to any school you choose and be the starter. You then customize the look and name of your player, and are off to play his college career like Dynasty mode without the recruiting and coaching decisions. The goal is, of course, to win the Heisman, and after your career, your player can become a coach in Dynasty mode, which I'm sure includes extra coach prestige.<
>
<
>
Also included this year is in-season recruiting, which was borrowed from the NCAA March Madness game, and is useful for getting a few key players before the offseason rush, where the bulk of your important recruiting will be done.<
>
<
>
I've loved the NCAA Football games for years now, even more than the Madden series, but I don't think I like this one very much. Every step of the way
ings frustration, and while I think the game should be challenging, the problems I have are based on bad design more than my limited skill. I don't like the idea of Impact Players, as it further blurs the distinction between the college and pro games. I also don't like when a team I'm beating 28-0 in the 4th quarter, who has 70 yards of total offense, scores three touchdowns in three minutes on plays that are impossible to defend. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:19 AM 

never would i have pegged binkee to be a console football player...<
>
<
>
this weekend, i get xbox live. and the start of some wonderful madden matches online...<
>
<
>
<
>
<
>
-cc <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:08 PM 

Yeah I'd say 90% of my console gaming is sports. Infinite replay value = win. <i></i>

Post subject: right.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:37 AM 

I agree with you man.<
>
<
>
My friend and I played last night... Florida State -- and the first agme of the season is Miami. I mean, we're a bit new... only playing like 3 full games before it learning the controls... but Miami beat us like 52-7.<
>
<
>
It was fucking unreal. Their TE #82 is like a fucking superhuman. If there's a pass play.. it's going to him. He's the only one that can catch, and he can burn FSU's secondary apparently. A tight end...<
>
<
>
Of course he was "In the zone"<
>
<
>
And we've had the .. first and second down monster stops defensively... rush for no gain, sack for loss.. and on third down he pulls a 60 yard pass out of his ass, with double coverage ALL OVER the receiver. I saw Miami have a scoring 2 play drive.. in 13 seconds.<
>
<
>
I'm thinking that I wasted money.. this game is so fucking frustrating.<
>
<
>
Cause if you're not playing a close game like Miami then it's FSU vs The Citadel! Woooo hoooo. Talk about borrrrring. All you do is run over these guys with the skill of high school football players. We turned the game off cause I had to go to bed.. but we were winning like 27-0 at half time.<
>
<
>
There needs to be a football game.. with the gameplay of Winning Eleven 8, or something. One of the best sports games I've ever played. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: right.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:53 AM 

Winning Eleven 8 is damn near the perfect sports game. I don't expect any american football game to come close, well, ever. The average fan doesn't care enough about realism as much as they want to be able to burn their friends with their 1337 Hail M@ry skillz. ---------------------------------<
>
Burog Warrior of Oryx<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:58 PM 

Quote:My friend and I played last night... Florida State<
>
<
>
im sorry my friend but you were doomed from the start <
>
<
>
Teaaman Lyrist- Retired Bard<
>
<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:56 PM 

anyone know why EA sports won't make these games for PC?<
>
<
>
I am an avid sports fan and would love to have this! <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:15 PM 

More than a week later, the game experience has not changed as promised! It's still ridiculous.<
>
<
>
For the purpose of neutralizing the impossible play factor, I switched the difficulty from Varsity (default setting) to Junior Varsity (easy), and averaged 100 points a game (no exaggeration). I played a few games, deciding that scoring 140 and then 148 and then 155 is really not that much fun, and turned the difficulty back to Varsity, and played a game with my then Number One Florida State against the mighty Bulldogs of Duke, ranked number 147.<
>
<
>
Their third play, I had them looking at third and 32, which they converted for a touchdown. I ran back and scored, tying the game at 7. They converted third and 14, third and 11, third and 9, third and 23 for a touchdown, all pass plays with blitz+zone or multi coverage defense.<
>
<
>
I ended up winning that game 30-28 on a field goal with time running out. Against Duke. On Normal. If it were on easy, WHICH IS ONE STEP DOWN, I would have shut them out and scored at least 130. If that's not a terrible game design, I can't say I know what is. <
>
<
>
Also, one of the biggest flaws of the NCAA series, is what I refer to as "sack-time." Only occurring on player-controlled offensive plays, sack time is where the computer decides that your quarterback will be sacked, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. You essentially lose control of your quarterback for up to two seconds, unable to scramble or throw the ball away, or even release the pass you might have started throwing at the exact moment you enter sack time. This phenomena never occurs against the computer-controlled quarterbacks, as they are usually able to take evasive action or release the ball, to varying degrees of success. Playing DL blitz defense has always been a strength of mine, as the AI players are generally trustworthy in regards to pass coverage. In 06, you really have to work to get to the quarterback, blindsiding him or running him into a corner, which is, decidedly, an improvement over the 20 sacks a game defense in 05. Of course, the computer quarterbacks are also superhuman, able to throw perfect passes the instant they are sacked, a feat that cannot be duplicated by player-controlled quarterbacks (due to the sack time).<
>
<
>
Of course, these passes are caught by the lone computer player who is completely surrounded by your entire defensive unit,all jumping for the ball. The receiver manages to
eak every tackle (against my #1 defense in the country, I had a quarterback - not even a good running quarterback -
eak nine tackles on one 40 yard run) and convert a 3rd and half the field for a touchdown.<
>
<
>
The more I play this game, and the better I get at it, the less I like it. Your strategy and execution can be perfect. You can control the clock in the fourth quarter, taking a four minute drive across the field for a touchdown, only to have the entire quarter erased on one absolutely impossible play.<
>
<
>
I don't think the game should be easy. I think it should be very challenging. This is not challenging, it's cruel. The computer advantage should be based on playcalling strategy and patterns, and quick thinking. College football is an Option game, and the AI should reflect that. Weaknesses in the opposition should be used and worked, the clock should be controlled, and passing and rushing should be combined to create a solid opponent that requires all of your offensive and defensive tools to be successful.<
>
<
>
The game should not be based on being able to score as many points in between amazing feats that no human could recreate, and that's exactly what this game is.<
>
<
>
For the first time since 1994, I am going to have to rent the next Madden game before I buy it. If it's anything like this, EA Sports can keep their fucking game. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:59 PM 

I have been terribly disapointed with this game thus far. My biggest complaint is the increase in turn-overs. I cannot get through a game w/o 2 or more turn-overs, and I am now used to 4 - 6 in a game.<
>
<
>
I played NCAA 05 a ton last year, playing out 3+ years of a Dynasty with Michigan, winning two national titles, and losing a total of 4 games in that period. This was all done on All-American difficulty. I mention this to show I know the game well, and I consider myself pretty damn good at it.<
>
<
>
In this years edition, I am constantly frustrated by miracle plays by the computer opponent, ie.. the 70 yard pass plays into a cover 3, or the constant long completions to the outside reciever who is double teamed. The game also has that "catch up" feel of the old NBA Jam games, where if you fall behind, or get ahead too far, the team behind becomes super human. I've seen it both ways too, where I was the one behind 3 TD's due to a ton of INT's, only to all the sudden be able to complete anything I toss up.<
>
<
>
It's a shame, I really do not like this game. The damned thing of it is, I always liked NCAA way more than Madden, and I always enjoyed the 2K series over both. Now, the 2K series is no more, and NCAA sucks ass this year.... so I am stuck with Madden for football.<
>
<
>
FUCK EA Sports....<
>
<
>
<
>
Thank you Feritas - Feral Lord<
>
<