It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:25 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Area 51
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:22 PM 

Is stupid. Rented it yesterday, played for about 4 hours or so and got extremely bored with it. Theres only about 5 different enemy models (that ive seen so far). It is super predictable, walking down hallway box on right wall, enemy behind it, open vent with spider things in it, bend in the hall 3 enemys jumping around it. Hearing David Duchovny drone on and on gets really annoying after about 20 mins. Ammo and guns are plentiful so you're never really in one of those situations where its like "oh crap there are 5 aliens and I have 2 bullets in my pistol." which IMO makes it kind of boring because there isn't as much suspense. Everywhere you need to go is marked on your HUD so if you get kinda lost, you just need to turn around till you find the marker and run toward it, it even gives distances. The one thing that REALLY bugged me, you can dual wield assault rifles and shotguns, but you can't dual wield pistols. When you are dual wielding you have to wait to run completely out of ammo in both clips before you reload. (you have the 2 guns, run out of ammo in both, drop one and reload, keep just the 1 untill you pick up another one) AND whats really stupid (I'd call it a bug but whatever) if you have...say 5 ammo left in a clip on your rifle (30 bullets in a clip) and you pick up another rifle - you automatically have 60 ammo, not 30 + whatever was left. Not to mention the guns you pick up are off of the dead "aliens" that were just shooting you with them and now magically have full clips.<
>
<
>
The only good things this game has going for it, is it looks good, there isnt much/any framerate slow down with a lot of things on screen, and it has a decent story to it if you're willing to sit through all the boring repetition of the levels. I haven't played the multiplayer, but it has the option (deathmatch only I think) even on the ps2 version which is sort of nice (and somewhat rare for ps2 titles), along with 2 player (on ps2, probly 4player on x-box) split screen but to me it feels wierd having the screen cut in half.<
>
<
>
Overall - 2 1/2 out of 5, mediocre. Definately not a buy to me, but an okay rental if you just want to kill some time.<
>
<
>
Was supposed to be a little review, but kinda turned into a bit of a rant, oh well. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Area 51
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:56 PM 

I can only assume you're talking about a console port of the arcade light gun classic of same name. To conclude, I was the king of that game that was really way too easy. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:24 PM 

No, I'm talking about the new game that was just recently released that is a completely different game than the old arcade game. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:40 PM 

Both are owned by Midway.<
>
<
>
I enjoyed it quite a lot, and I detest console shooters as a rule. I think a lot of people wont/dont like it is because its not designed around multiplayer. It is nothing special to an already watered down gene of a game, but it shines with a pretty good storyline aka Half Life, and ccomp opponents that are smarter than most. <
>
This flag stands for freedom, and I live for what it stands for.<
>
<i></i>