It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:42 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:09 PM 

I got this for GBA a couple days back and got hooked <
>
<
>
Call this a cross between Tactics Ogre's graphical level/presentation style and FF Tactic's gameplay system. That is a very rough comparison, but it pretty much sticks. The storyline is decent and (for fucking ONCE), the script is actually not shit at all... there are some snags (I'm a big hater of the way Japanese tend to make their characters talk), but overall I'm enjoying watching the story progress. I actually cracked a huge grin when Eirika and Ephraim reunited. Pretty rare for me.<
>
<
>
The levelling system is very simple but it works wonderfully. Every action gives xp... even surviving an attack without meaningful hitting in return gives you an xp point. 100 xp to level, the xp awards scale down as you get higher levels and better classes yada yada yada you know the deal there.<
>
<
>
The class system is FUN! They did a very good job of making really cool looking upper-tier sprites... the Pegasus Lord in particular looks fantastic. As a matter of fact all the mounted classes look neat <
>
<
>
The weapon-magic system is well-balanced but, in my opinion, gay. I hate the fact that I can miscaculate a small amount and take loads of extra damage from a peon who happens to be equipped with a compatible weapon. There are good points (some weapons are weak but do extreme damage to specific character classes... that's very cool imo) too though.<
>
<
>
Durability of all items is something I have always despised with passion in all games, but for once I despise it slightly less. Due to the nature of the world map it is never hard to get new weapons, and they are relatively cheap. Coupled with the fact I have NEVER
oken a weapon until I planned to (so far there's never been an OH SHIT IT'S GONE moment for me), and I can deal.<
>
<
>
Death is the worst implemented part of this game. You die, you're gone. FOREVER. There is no means of resurrection and the char never comes back. This wouldn't be so bad, if characters weren't so very very easy to kill when they're unexpectedly ganged up on. I cannot count the number of times I have blistered the air with curses and restarted the map because I lost a character from an unexpected move or attack.<
>
<
>
Tangential to that is the fact that it appears to me that the GB calculates all hit-miss chances and its movement AI on its turn at the beginning... and then locks them in. Restarting to try a reroll of an attack resulting in death does no good, if the attack hit the first time, it will ALWAYS hit, even if you turn the power off and then back on. The only solution is to restart the map entirely from the beginning.<
>
<
>
So yeah. I don't know if this is a clone of the first Fire Emblem so I couldn't say whether I'd recommend it to people who bought the first. But for people looking for a fun, tactical-RPG game, go buy this <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:17 PM 

I just picked this up, but haven't had a chance to get more than 10 minutes into it. I've got some vacation time to come up, so I should be able to get more into it then.<
>
<
>
From what I see it's nearly identical to the first one for the GBA except for the new story and a few extra character classes at the high end. Not that that's in any way a bad thing, the first one was great. <i></i>