Post subject: Re: Roll Call
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:51 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Got up to 23 last night, not bad for having not touched the game in something like five years. Also got the 100 quests in Azshara achievement. Druids seem pretty overpowered, but it's starting to seem like my solo ability may be waning, as I can only take on about two level 19 mobs at the same time. Also I got Gloves of Unmitigated Badassery, which I'll probably wear as long as possible because the name is cool.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:56 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
So the very top of the line ferals were almost topping the DPS meters and that made them OP?

Absolutely if that were merely the case. If 99 out of 100 rogues didn't know how to press their backstab key, would that make them any more or less balanced? Balance needs to be maintained across the board to be considered true balance, not just for the majority. An imbalance amongst the upper tier often has repercussions for the playerbase as a whole, even if they're not immediately evident. In this case, an average player just barely edging out that middle ground towards "skilled player" can put that imbalance on display to a certain degree. Even so, I didn't say we were talking about the elite of the elites. There are many skilled players out there, and while they may be a minority as a whole, they still make up a sizeable enough chunk to notice the difference on a regular basis.

Quote:
That sounds like every class and every spec in the game sans the objective.

Per the context of what you quoted, I'm simply saying they were significantly easier than the rest. It goes without saying that there's no difficult class or spec to play in WoW. When virtually all you need to do to hold agro is bind every hotkey to "swipe" and then faceroll over your keyboard, and other classes have to press 4-5 buttons for similar effects - it's not to say either is very hard, but there's clearly an imbalance of play there.

Quote:
Feral tanking was elite at virtually nothing except sarth+3 in early Wrath and even then DKs were better. I think you're buying too much into the official forum hype.

The qualification I spoke of is important here - as I said, it was dependant on the fight in question to a degree. Nevertheless, they were on par with almost every other tank for your average fight. Had nothing to do with forum hype for me, as I cleared through icecrown heroics on my warrior tanking, and then with a druid tanking. No, he wasn't surviving an incredible amount more than my warrior, but he wasn't dying quite as much under similar circumstances. Incredibly overpowered in terms of survivability? No, but this slight advantage under some circumstances combined with everything else about the druid is what adds to the greater whole.

Incredible healing spec that tops everyone on the healing meters as well as still being able to maintain pretty good instant saves. Feral DPS spec that is capable of outperforming everyone except for the focused DPS classes, and even then outperforming them on occasion. Tank spec that is simultaneously the easiest in the game and very viable. Moonkin started out to be crap, but improved significantly with the improvements towards the end of WOTLK(Was the spec overpowered? No, probably not, but a shoddy point to pin your evidence on to suggest that druids weren't overpowered). 2 viable pvp specs that shined in the arena for all seasons(2v2 and 3v3 brackets), in particular healing, with feral having a day in the sun for at least one season as well. As I said, it was the collective whole that made the druid particularly overpowered in WOTLK(and before).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:12 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Jesus fuck. Cata is rough on fresh 80s. Double trouble if the fresh 80 is a rogue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:40 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
How so? I thought it was pretty ok. Recup is pretty overpowered. Improved Recup is very overpowered.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:50 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Know what's fun? Not picking up a profession until level 40 and then running around the newbie area one-shotting for skins.

Note: fun = boring

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:56 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Feral was fairly overpowered at certain points during WOTLK, both the DPS and tanking specs. Feral DPS was not easy to pull off for an average player, but in the hands of a skilled player, you'd see them getting in just behind rogues and mages and on certain fights higher. Tanking they had it extremely easy without having to push many buttons while having some of the best/easiest agro control in the game, as well as having high survivability(with some dependance on fight mechanics).

1) Cat was never overpowered. There was one short period where they could do really good DPS if they pulled off their crazy rotation, but other classes at the time were in the same boat. (Original Afflicion lock rotation, for example.) But even then they were generally behind.

2) Every tank is pretty easy to play if you just count the buttons they mash. That's really nothing special. Bears had/have several advantages and disadvantages when compared to other tanks, this is nothing new.

3) Bears were insanely overpowerd in early Wrath, that one is true. It was fixed pretty quickly, but for a time I was probably the most overpowered thing in the history of WoW. Fortunately for me "overpowered tank" doesn't show up on DPS meters or in PvP, so people just thought I was a good tank, hah.

Resto druids are about the only thing that you could make a case for being somewhat overpowered over a long time period. Of course, it's a different world now, we can't just throw rejuvenations around like a sprinkler anymore, which kinda cuts into the playstyle that made resto so strong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:33 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Gotta say Cata has made wow dungeons.. almost a challenge again. A few are easy, a few are really damn hard. Heroics of course, all normal is simple once you aren't freshly 85.

Playing alliance on Aerie Peak, hoping to to see some raids.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:29 AM 

Zeronus, Xolar, and I are Horde Drenden. I believe even Duty is going to join us. We found a few local friends that were actually playing on this server so we founded a small guild "The Lords of Chaos" to maybe do some raiding and PvP later on.

Really enjoying the game thus far... just really wish I knew what in the heck I was doing.

43 Blood Elf Paladin and i'm doing Blacksmithing, Mining, and First Aid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:26 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Don't forget cooking, fishing, and archaeology!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:35 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Argaloth is way too easy.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:03 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I know, he should be really hard like Archavon was!! ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:59 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
argaloth is easier than archavon ever was :P

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:19 PM 

Quote:
I know, he should be really hard like Archavon was!!
WoW trolls are trolls!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Moderator: Solanthious Go to page Previous  1, 2