It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:12 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:48 AM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Edited for most up to date information. Some other sites are still compiling their lists of changes that other sources did not get / cover.

Quote:
Path of the Titans is gone
The whole Path of the Titans idea has been removed from the game. It will no longer rely on Archeology or on any kind of PvE/PvP progression and instead Blizzard will just introduce a new type of glyphs: Medium Glyphs.

Medium Glyphs will add a "fun factor" to abilities, and it wouldn't be surprising to see something similar to the Fortification or Breakthrough glyphs first previewed during Blizzcon 2009. (But probably not these exact glyphs, a lot of stuff happened since last year)

Guild Talents are gone
The guild talents are gone and your guild now gets extra bonuses depending on its level. There are 25 levels and each level will automatically reward with more cool stuff. The leveling process remains unchanged and your guild will gain experience through PvP, Dungeon and Raid progression, questing, etc ...

Guild currency has also been removed and rewards will just be "unlocked" after you reach a specific level or complete a guild achievement. Once a reward is unlocked, members will be able to purchase it with gold. Some of the rewards include guild tabards, mounts, heirlooms, and it looks like you will finally be able to have a guild tabard on your mount. (Just like the Argent Tournament banners)

New members of a guild won't be able to buy everything directly, they will have to contribute to the progression of the guild before they can access the top rewards. Each time a player helps towards the leveling he will gain reputation with the guild, the best rewards will require players to be exalted with their guild before they can buy it.

Archeology will be less important
With the Path of the Titans gone, Archeology will become a "true" secondary profession and you won't really have to level it anymore. However it will still be used to let you get cosmetic/optional items, get more information on the game's lore, and ultimately it looks like we can expect rewards similar to fishing. (Nothing mandatory, but you'll be happy when you actually find something)

Information gathered from other sites:
You will find two types of items: Common Artifacts will give you more information on the lore of a race, and might be used in some kind of collection game. Rare items will give you usable items, most of them will be cosmetic but some of them will have actual effects. (Details on Wowhead)

Raids & Dungeons Split
Raid leaders will be able to split an ongoing 25-man raid into up to three 10-man raids. Those 10-man raids will be able to continue from that point on, with bosses already down.

So far it looks like it won't be possible to merge 10-man raids into 25-man raids, for obvious reasons.

Raid IDs should be much more flexible. You will be able to join any raid as long as it doesn't have any bosses up that you have already killed. (Details on Wowhead)
There will be more Algalon-style encounters—ultra-hard optional bosses for hardcore players only. (Details on Wowhead)

Rated Battlegrounds
Rated battlegrounds will be available for pre-mades of 10, 15 and 25-player sizes. The amount of Conquest points rewarded will be capped so that players who enjoy both arenas and rated battlegrounds don't feel they have to prioritize one over the other.

The classic Honor titles will be coming back and rewarded to the top teams each season. (Details on WoR)
The "Gladiator" equivalent teams will also receive epic ground mounts. Ground mounts because they want to reward something you can ride in the battleground and be proud of / show off. (Details on WoR)

Grim Batol Raid
The Grim Batol raid instance will be called the Bastion of Twilight, and you get to fight Cho'gall as the end boss! If you manage to defeat him in Heroic Mode, an "horrific secret will be revealed when he dies".

This is an entry-level raid, just like Naxxramas in WotLK. (Details on Wowhead)
It will feature 5 bosses, and an Algalon-style optional and ultra-hard boss. (The "horrific" secret?) (Details on Wowhead)

Skywall Raid
As expected, Al'akir will be the end boss of the Skywall raid instance.

Bosses will include a djinn, a storm dragon, and a lesser elemental lord. (Details on Wowhead)
You will be able to use regular flying mounts to fly from platform to platform. (Details on Wowhead)
It looks really good. Really. (Details on Wowhead)

Deepholm
Princess Therazane (yes, that's her) will be a questgiver in Deepholm, in a similar experience to the Sons of Hodir's questline in Storm Peaks.

The Ogrim's Hammer has crashed in the zone and the Skybreaker is still in the air. One of the questline will require you to find out what happened. (Details on Wowhead)

Heroic Deadmines / Shadowfang Keep
Heroic versions of classic instances might not be ready for the release of Cataclysm and will be shipped in content patch instead.

Old world changes
There are a more details on old world changes, especially capital cities.

Stormwind has been completely redesigned to accomodate flying mounts. The Park of Stormwind has been destroyed by Deathwing and the Dwarven District now hosts a Bank and an Auction House. (Details on Wowhead)
Orgrimmar has been redesigned as well: Garrosh is the new Warchief and is located in the center of Orgrimmar, not in the Valley of Wisdom. Goblins have their own area, the Valley of Wisdom becomes a Tauren district, and there is now a back gate leading directly into Azshara. (Details on Wowhead)

Miscellaneous Changes/Information
Wrath of the Lich King had 1000 Quests, Cataclysm has over 3000.
The current heirlooms will stop growing after level 80. There will be a whole new crop of heirlooms for Cataclysm. Goblins and Worgen will be able to start using heirlooms immediately at launch. (Details on Wowhead)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:13 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
and you get to fight Cho'gall as the end boss! If you manage to defeat him in Heroic Mode, an "horrific secret will be revealed when he dies".

It's the same horrific secret when they reach 1 000 000 points in Southpark playing Guitar Hero.

YOU

ARE

FAGS!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:00 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
So it sounds like so far they've done little but steal what EQ2 had years ago with the guild rated rewards, rep and currency system.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:15 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Not mentioned: Every single encounter will be beaten in the beta before the game is ever released, and every single boss strat will be available online - complete with YouTube videos.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:30 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

As of right now, no raid zone is open in alpha, and won't be in Beta.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:14 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Solanthious wrote:
and won't be in Beta.

I hope so. I always hated that about WoW...internally test it and let the guilds fall on their faces for once on Live instead like in EQ.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:13 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I'm still ticked they are taking my treeform and I don't get any new spells at all in the expansion. :p I like my treeform. /doesalittledance

:p

Ahh well, I tank more than I heal these days anyway. :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:55 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Nice to see that medium glyphs will be just as useful as most other glyphs in game currently, aka not.

War. War never changes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:14 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
Quote:
I'm still ticked they are taking my treeform and I don't get any new spells at all in the expansion. :p I like my treeform. /doesalittledance

They have made noises that you get to keep the treeform , if you buy a minor glyph. It'll just be looks though. Beyond the CD version of it, there won't be any benefits.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:13 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
if you buy a minor glyph. It'll just be looks though.

I am actually fine with that. I like the idea of what they are doing with the CD, I hate the idea of them removing the shapeshift. If that makes sense. So making them separate items is a-ok with me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:58 AM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Glyph's Revamped explained.

Quote:
First of all, we’re going to change it to have three types of glyphs. Before, we had the minor glyphs, which were not really player power, and then the major glyphs, which were player power. Since they only got three choices for major glyphs, most players chose their three most powerful abilities. It’s really hard to make a situational ability compete with a main ability when you only have three choices.

So we thought that by adding more glyphs we’d give players more opportunities to make decisions. The new medium glyphs are some of the most interesting because they’ll affect abilities that you don’t use constantly but you do use, and they can be DPS or healing increases, but not necessarily straight-forward ones.

That was the first step, to break them up a little more. The second step was that glyphs are in a weird place where they’re not consumables like potions but they’re not as permanent as say, talents, either. And we know that some players walk around with stacks of glyphs that they’ll swap in and out depending on the situation. Then there was the added problem that there wasn’t really anywhere that would tell players what glyphs actually exist. So if you’ve just got your Druid to level 80 and you’re looking for some Druid glyphs, really your only options are to go to the auction house, the guild bank or a third party site and read them all.

So the new glyph UI is designed more about collecting all the glyphs for your character and storing them there. Any time you want to switch glyphs you can just use that. Glyphs are now permanent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:04 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Awesome, 4 free bag slots and no more ink lost on my alt. Hopefully they will add some more "money makers" to Inscription to compensate but I think it's a great change.

Hell I'd even be fine if you could buy like 10 glyphs, "load them" into the interface, and then have 10 "charges" of that glyph to swap just to keep inscription glyphs in the economy.

Permanent is great though!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:28 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

The more I read about this expansion, the less excited I get.

Especially the 10-man / 25-man sharing the same loot and this weird garbage about using a 25-man ID to kill deeper 10-man bosses. I also don't really understand what this hybrid lockout gets you. You still lose loot opportunities with 10-man and 25-man being completely separate right now. It's better than nothing, but it feels like a token gesture. I can think of a lot of downsides. We'll see how it goes.

I read that the "extra loot" in 25-man mode would come in the form of more emblems. Uhh, really? The people who run out of uses for emblems the fastest are the very people who would get the most. I think it's a terrible 25-man incentive, especially as the expansion ages and people run out of things to buy with emblems.

That's my reaction to the expansion. Kill 25-man raids, throw out token moves such as these two things to try to keep people from freaking out, but continue full speed ahead.

I'm really unimpressed. But then, I've been really unimpressed by Blizzard's design decisions for a few years now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:38 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

I am actually glad of the 10/25 man loot change. For a long time now, the pretense has been that 10 man was "easier", which is far from the truth....except in personality management and guild roster numbers.

That being said, I give the 10/25 man lockout sharing about a month past live if it makes it that far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:56 PM 

Heroic Putricide, heroic sindragosa, heroic death whisper, heroic LK are all more difficult in 25 man than 10 man, to name a few off the top of my head.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:39 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Eh. Maybe someday my guild will get to the heroics. :p At the moment, we were killing lich king when everyone vanished for summer. :p Kinda ticked they bailed before we finished.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:47 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

It goes hand in hand with something I hadn't touched on yet. Raid ID's are going to be very flexible now. So say you go drop Marrowgar and can't get any further. You can join any other raid that already has Marrowgar dead.

The 25 to 10 man split, Jox, is for those that can say get to a mob like Sindragosa and can't drop it on 25, and still get their loot / badges for some people and do it on 10 man.

It's a lot of getting use to, but we'll see how it goes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:21 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I really like the proposed system for Cataclysm raids.

WotLK raids felt SO grindy. Even if you needed nothing from 10-man, you were still pretty much compelled to do it because you had to get the badges to keep up in the gear race. Then you had to do the silly daily heroic on top of that, every day.

It was also a shame that 10-mans were basically just the red headed stepchildren of raids. The challenges weren't there (Compare Anub 10H to Anub 25h), the loot was generally totally sub-par, even compared to badge loot, it was just a terrible design overall. It's good that they're trying to balance them more in Cataclysm, because right now they're just like silly little badge farms.

Quote:
I read that the "extra loot" in 25-man mode would come in the form of more emblems.

25-man should drop as much or slightly more gear-per-player than 10-man and have the extra badges and gold on top of that.

If they want there to be a genuine balance between the two, they can't really have gear be the factor that separates the two, or else it won't be a balance at all and people will just still do 25-man.

Granted, 25-man should have some extra incentive, and I'm sure it will, but it shouldn't be gear-based. That'll just sink the entire concept.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:00 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

One of the recent dev interviews that are all over the place has GC saying 25 man atm is slated to get 6 drops per boss, but that could change.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:18 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
Quote:
Running Wild is indeed the new racial "mount" for worgen. Functionally the ability works exactly like a mount. This does mean the worgen are not bringing faction mounts to the table which other Alliance races can access. This is also of course very different from the original Plainsrunning implemented for taurens. We have no plans to try and bring that ability back in any form.

Ultimately, we feel Running Wild fits very well with the nature of the worgen race. Rather than getting a physical mount, they get down and sprint on all fours. When you're playing a worgen, it just feels awesome.

Worgens get Plainsrunning...sorry Tauren...well, not EXACTLY like plainsrunning...but still...lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:06 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Worgens get Plainsrunning...sorry Tauren...well, not EXACTLY like plainsrunning...but still...lol

They better give us plains running back :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:21 AM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

EQ1: Ihnzo
WoW: Xeath
Cata is gonna be fun... We have stopped raiding until the expansion in hopes it generates fun again..

Ihnzo

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:16 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

rugen wrote:
Quote:

They better give us plains running back :p

You play a horde Tauren? If I meet you in PvP I HOPE they give you Plainsrunning back.

Plainsrunning fucking stank.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Plainsrunning

Be happy to pop you with, anything, even the back of my hand and stop you cold to get mobbed on.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:37 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Yes, well, one of two things is going to happen. Either the worgen will have the same issue and thus get a mount, or it is fixed and they should give it back to us as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:30 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

The worgen thing isn't plainsrunning.

It merely converts them to the Mounted buff like any other race, there's just no mount visual. (Kinda like that more or less stupid turtle mount. It's a visual with no buff to the characters movement)

Plainsrunning was a more or less entirely different operation.

Sounds to me like Tauren players are just mad they have a mount. Tauren to me, seem like they should not only NOT have a mount., but not be able to run like they have one either. Too big and bulky.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:21 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Yeah, it's a mount like any other, it's not plainswalking in any way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:39 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

That is the point, it isn't 'exactly' like Plainsrunning but it is a race being able to run at mount speed without a mount.

Where I see the bitching coming from are the Tauren players who are saying "Why didn't you think of this 6 years ago?" to solve the problems to which Plainsrunning was removed in the first place.

Things get removed, people bitch. Said things get added back into the game in a slightly different form, people bitch. It is WoW, people bitching and complaining or being opinionated about changes is as certain as death/taxes/Dick Clark.

p.s. Taurens, fuck Worgen. Go get exalted Bilgewater Cartel when Cata comes out and get an awesome fuckin Trike Mount.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:39 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
That is the point, it isn't 'exactly' like Plainsrunning

This isn't "not exactly" plainsrunning. It's not plainsrunning at all.

Quote:
Said things get added back into the game in a slightly different form, people bitch.

It's not "added back in a slightly different form". Nothing is being added back. Not a thing. It's a mount like any other. Just a mount with a unique graphic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:55 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
It's a mount because it has a cast time. Plainsrunning didn't.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:35 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

While us smart people know Plainsrunning ≠ Running Wild, the people who are bitching about it on the Beta Forums (and MMO Champ/World of Raids/etc etc) think Plainsrunning = Running Wild because it is 'Running at Mount Speed without a physical Mount to ride'. Again, people will bitch...and most of the people who're bitching about it are people who've only heard vague rumors of what Plainsrunning was and never saw how terrible it was in practice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:12 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

So the idea that a character can run fast without a mount is vastly different than the idea that a character can run fast without a mount?

/eyeroll

They clearly fixed the issues with what was wrong with Plainsrunning. So give it back to the tauren. I'm not asking for plainsrunning as it was, I'm asking for them to give running wild to the tauren.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:18 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
So the idea that a character can run fast without a mount is vastly different than the idea that a character can run fast without a mount?

Except Worgen are using a mount in pretty much every sense of the word in WoW.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:34 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Except Worgen are using a mount in pretty much every sense of the word in WoW.

You're arguing technicalities. I'm arguing aesthetics.

I could also make an argument for druids of any race getting running wild. :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:14 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

rugen wrote:
You're arguing technicalities. I'm arguing aesthetics.

I could also make an argument for druids of any race getting running wild. :p

Druids got more to worry about now that their Shifted Forms no longer make them immune to Polymorph (according to the latest patch notes).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:29 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Could just be a tooltip error, though. Can't say for sure yet.

Flight Form will still be awesome anyway. ;) Love being able to heal while flying.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:04 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Druids got more to worry about now that their Shifted Forms no longer make them immune to Polymorph

Only if they pvp. The impact of that change to pve folks is minimal at best.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:23 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Stupid change no matter what. Druids were unique but now like everyone else.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:59 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Stupid change no matter what. Druids were unique but now like everyone else.

I (on a gut level) dislike many of the class changes they've made because it seems pretty apparent to me they are once again balancing for PVP and PVE just gets to deal with it. As long as warcraft is going to pretend like it does pvp well, this is what we'll get.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:32 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

WoW is a PvP and a PvE game. When people complain that a change on one end affected them on another end, they're just being self-serving whiners, really. I can hardly think of one change that was made on one end that really, really broke something on the other, and yet people talk as though its this rampant thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:36 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

I'm not whining, I'm stating facts. I've yet to see a change made to classes in PVP because of a need in PVE. It's always the other way around. They seem to be forever changing the PVE game because of unbalances in PVP. The recent changes to the talent trees are probably the largest example of this. Maybe I missed something and you can illuminate me.

If this were actually a decent pvp game, I'd be less concerned. This isn't a good PVP game, however.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:24 PM 

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
WoW is a PvP and a PvE game. When people complain that a change on one end affected them on another end, they're just being self-serving whiners, really. I can hardly think of one change that was made on one end that really, really broke something on the other, and yet people talk as though its this rampant thing.

lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:50 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

They've been constantly "balancing" pvp for years. Those changes have affected PVE in large and small ways. Constantly. WTF have you been?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:05 AM 

Actually the polymorph thing affects pve for druids too.

there are dungeons in cata (and for that matter all expansions to date) where mobs will use polymorph. Being able to polymorph your tank or your healer is not a good thing in the new dungeons, since they're not nearly so forgiving =/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:27 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

rugen wrote:
If this were actually a decent pvp game, I'd be less concerned. This isn't a good PVP game, however.

Just because you don't like PVP or you suck at PVP doesn't mean the PVP offering isn't decent. The millions of people who play this game just to PVP don't play it because it sucks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:39 AM 

Quote:
I've yet to see a change made to classes in PVP because of a need in PVE. It's always the other way around. They seem to be forever changing the PVE game because of unbalances in PVP.

Druids and Pallies both received significant healing nerfs due to PVE and it affected PVP primarily during early WOTLK. Pallies pretty much NEVER ran out of mana in PVE and their big holy light spell could be spammed constantly, whereas in a really tough PVP fight with skilled opponents they did(yea, it usually took a while, but IMO it wasn't as noticable in PVP as it was in a long PVE fight where every other healer ran out while pallies did not). Mana regen was also nerfed significant near the start of WOTLK as a result of PVE(was not much of an issue in PVP).

Prot warriors have been nerfed in a number of ways for PVE that had a direct result on PVP(granted, some of those nerfs purposefully targeted PVP abilities like concussion blow).

DKs took a major hit to survivability in the middle of WOTLK primarily due to PVE and it pretty much nerfed them into oblivion for PVP. At the time they were at the top of the PVP chain and overbuffed, granted, but they took survivability hits because people were complaining that they were the best tanks in the game while also being able to dish out damage in PVE.

Rogues and a few other high damage output classes have taken hits over time in PVP because they took DPS nerfs to balance out PVE DPS charts while the impact on PVP was ignored.

Let's also not forget the fact that the massive majority of all content is focused on PVE, not PVP, and always has been. New arenas, battlegrounds, and PVP content has always taken around 2 patch cycles compared to new PVE content released every single patch. Traditionally, it's also come in much smaller portions as well. PVPers went for literally a year to a year and a half with the EXACT same 4 battlegrounds(with only ONE of them not being 1-2 years old already) just prior to WOTLK release, and things didn't change much with a token battleground thrown in upon the expansion. World PVP is a joke and they barely take the time to develop it properly. Arena weapons/armor are just tossed in on the side with a few palette swaps and a few more numbers.

Honestly it's been a while since I've played WoW, but I never understood why people that primarily PVE feel like they have anything to complain about it when it comes to PVP affecting their game. It's incredibly one-sided and always has been. Blizzard caters to PVE'ers for a good reason - it's what the massive majority of players play the game for, and it's plenty easy to see examples of such catering with each and every patch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:12 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
I've yet to see a change made to classes in PVP because of a need in PVE. It's always the other way around. They seem to be forever changing the PVE game because of unbalances in PVP.

Like what?

Seriously, I hear PvE-only people whine about this *constantly* but it's not nearly the issue they make it out to be.

Also, just because something get changed and a PvP situation is the primary driving force behind it doesn't mean that's the sole reason. A good example would be Shield Slam...yeah, people whined about it being too good in PvP, but Blizzard also didn't like that it was simply too good compared to every other Prot War ability in PvE, too. But that didn't stop PvE people from claiming, "OMG PVE NERF BECAUSE OF ARENA"

Also this:

Quote:
Just because you don't like PVP or you suck at PVP doesn't mean the PVP offering isn't decent. The millions of people who play this game just to PVP don't play it because it sucks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Just because you don't like PVP or you suck at PVP doesn't mean the PVP offering isn't decent.

Touche. And I should clarify that I don't do arena at all. My pvp experience in wow has been limited to the battlegrounds and world events which have not been terribly favorable...which leads me to, Vana's comment:

Quote:
there are dungeons in cata (and for that matter all expansions to date) where mobs will use polymorph.

I see this as still having less impact on the PVE side, with the dispell changes coming. In a group, you have a focused and dedicated healer that is (I hope) doing their job. In world/bg pvp you are lucky if healers remember to cast a spell on anyone other than themselves, much less a dispell, and I say that as someone that spends equal time on the tank and healer side as a druid. So I still see the impact to pve as being minimal on this change. Annoying, but minimal.

Venen: Good list of items (and a couple I'd forgotten about), but I don't see any of those items as comparable to what is currently happening with Cata. For example:

Quote:
they were the best tanks in the game while also being able to dish out damage in PVE.

I saw that change as totally necessary and I'm pretty sure most people in PVP, *except* DKs, did as well. Everyone I knew playing a DK knew the nerf stick was coming down and was just enjoying the ride while they could. The locking down of the entire player base to cookie cutter talent trees purely to prevent the creative hybrid specs that have come about over time in the game simply to balance pvp does not seem comparable to me. Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps I'm wrong about the "why" they are locking down the talent trees the way they are because of my pve bias, but it seems pretty suspect to me.

Quote:
Honestly it's been a while since I've played WoW, but I never understood why people that primarily PVE feel like they have anything to complain about it when it comes to PVP affecting their game.

Your argument here is not really that valid. Content patches to PVE != nerf to pvp. In fact, it almost makes my argument for me, that for such a small slice of the game to have such a large impact on the admittedly larger other side of the game starts to seem silly.

Bov:

Quote:
Seriously, I hear PvE-only people whine about this *constantly* but it's not nearly the issue they make it out to be.

We'll see. I'm trying to reserve judgement til I have a chance to get my hands on it (and not just reading about it), but I can't help but feel the new talent trees to prevent hybrid specs is a bad thing overall. It's also a perfect example of the sort of impact I am talking about. Your mileage may vary.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:24 PM 

If a tank gets polymorphed the way dungeons currently exist in cataclysm, then I doubt you'll have time to recover =/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:18 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
The way heroics are currently I'm not sure anyone will want to roll the dice on random groups either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:20 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Oh no, the game might actually get a little tough in one dungeon? Say it ain't so!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:39 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
The locking down of the entire player base to cookie cutter talent trees purely to prevent the creative hybrid specs that have come about over time in the game simply to balance pvp does not seem comparable to me. Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps I'm wrong about the "why" they are locking down the talent trees the way they are because of my pve bias, but it seems pretty suspect to me.

1) You're reading way too much into the new talent trees. There's not some weird PvPer plot behind them.

2) There wasn't nearly as much creativity as you think with talents, unless you were willingly just gimping your character a little. Pretty much every spec was already cookie-cutter as it is, just because there were more boxes to click didn't change that.

3) The new trees aren't as locked down as people seem to think, there's actually a little more flexibility now since most of the silly filler talents are being cut out. I'm actually hearing min/max players debate one talent over another right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:51 PM 

The new talent trees are quite nice. I've been spending a lot of time on the PTR evaluating the new hunter mechanics (which sort of fucking blow), and the new trees are great.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:30 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Neesha the Necro wrote:

Nope. It's poop. OMGIGOTTHEFLAG/STOODINONEPLACEFOR2MINS/HIDBEHINDPILLAR. Sorry, I got caught up in the excitement.

PS - I actually DON'T suck at pvp (with my rogue and priest at least anyway - terrible with my wife's shaman =P).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:57 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I know it's trendy to bash on WoW PvP and all (Hi Givin) but I've yet to see anyone present a better alternative...you know, maybe some other game that has a huge PvP following, or paying tournaments, or...well, you get the idea.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:32 AM 

Monopoly.
Go climb a wall of dick with your face.

PS. I never "bashed" WoW PVP. I laughed at your stupid comment concerning it. You're the last person on these dead forums I would ever want to talk about anything video game related with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:25 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
I've yet to see anyone present a better alternative...you know, maybe some other game that has a huge PvP following

Team Fortress 2! >_< heh

If I want pvp, I tend to go for shooters and that goes all the way back to Unreal (rat maps ftw!). I just don't look for it in an MMO. I don't think it fits. Every MMO I've seen try to tackle PVP as their main focus has been a relative failure. I personally think there is a reason for that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:06 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Monopoly.
Go climb a wall of dick with your face.

PS. I never "bashed" WoW PVP. I laughed at your stupid comment concerning it. You're the last person on these dead forums I would ever want to talk about anything video game related with.

k brah. Relax.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:34 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
PvP in WoW has some major flaws, but I haven't seen one that's better yet in this genre. I expect it to be better in the expansion because BG's were always balanced better than arenas. I think putting 2v2 arena in the game was a mistake they have never fully recovered from.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:54 PM 

I liked the pvp in warhammer better =( too bad the rest of the game was fucking terrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:08 PM 

/mourn WAR. The PVP in that game was so fun.

I'm optimistic about the new BG system. For the first time, I am looking forward to PVP. Arena was a bad, bad, bad idea.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Moderator: Solanthious Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next