It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:09 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:14 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Question is, how many people here are going to order their magazines ;)

World of Warcraft magazine announced

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:15 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
about a year or two too late

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:21 AM 

They're doing that because the future is print.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:14 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
How low can they go? *clap clap * How low can they go?
Do the WoW limbo!

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:17 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
Yes, because it is the first time a big franchise tries to make money like this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:22 PM 

I agree, they would be the first.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:07 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Okay, perhaps games themselves don't have their own magazines. But my point was that it was not the first time a company has released a magazine about their products. Even in the MMORPG world, SOE did it. And outside of the MMORPG world we have seen other companies doing the same. *Looks at Nintendo, Sony, Sega, and Microsoft*

I still don't see how it is a "new low" or anything negative. *shrug*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:19 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Gosthok wrote:
Okay, perhaps games themselves don't have their own magazines. But my point was that it was not the first time a company has released a magazine about their products. Even in the MMORPG world, SOE did it. And outside of the MMORPG world we have seen other companies doing the same. *Looks at Nintendo, Sony, Sega, and Microsoft*

I still don't see how it is a "new low" or anything negative. *shrug*

*shrug* indeed, but your tone simply smacks of defensive WoW fanboy. The game itself has been downgraded to "ok" but that they are whoring themselves out in a way that would make Yogurt from Spaceballs proud is just silly. I expect WoW the Breakfast Cereal any day now...and you'll be happily munching on the alliance/horde shaped kibbles.

It's fucking ridiculous.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:34 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I think what's ridiculous are the reactions.

Because, once again, it's not the first time a big franchise does something like this to bring in more money.

And hardly a fanboi, considering how I just came back to the game after a long break. But hey, if the cereal is any good, I'll happily munch on Jaina Proudmoore's marshmallow as I crush into marshmallow dust the Horde ones! Darn, I want Lucky Charms now.

I still don't understand how releasing a magazine = a new low, though. Unless you are just being part of the "lolz, wow sucks" bandwagon. If that's the case, I didn't mean to interrupt, let me step aside. Go on, continue. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:57 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
All those monthly console mags you mentioned actually work because there is new content worth talking about always coming out.

Enjoy your subscription to mmochampion.com + some fat chicks in Naga costumes monthy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:29 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I like how the tone around here has basically turned into "Anything Blizzard does is stupid and anyone that doesn't agree is a rabid fanboi."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:32 PM 

I could really give two shits what people think it comes off as.

The current game is terrible and their path of progression is lackluster at best. All the stupid faggots looking for their 15 mins by asking the dev panel if Onyxia will deep breath more should have been asking them what their plans are from now till expansion so they won't be fucking surprised when 80% of their guild says fuck it and doesn't show up for the next year and a half because there isn't any reason to.

The game is at another milestone in its life. It's at that marker where it either lives or begins to die. This is the same age that Everquest started to fall off as well. People found it a lot less hard to leave behind characters they had invested years in to check out other things. While WoW doesn't have any such competition, and really its only competition is a HOPE that Knights of the Old Republic doesn't suck, it makes sense for their next offering to be something special, just in case Knights of the Old Republic Obamas on us.

I commend them for taking steps, at least from what has been said, to spice it up a bit across the board instead of stacking content on top of content. Since I would come back at ground floor, I would probably enjoy playing through everything again as a fresh goblin or wargen. And not just the 1-15 experience. 1-60 reboot is awesome. To me, this means they will take the care that they did when they put in the death knight area, and enhance it to the entire old world game. That sounds awesome.

Changes in stats, while they are FOUR FUCKING YEARS LATE, make sense. Thanks for finally figuring this shit out that adding in more stats just fucks things up.

Things SOUND great, but people must keep in mind this shit is a year and change out. And a lot of shit may not even make it in, just like WotLK.

A print publication in an already shit market for said print is pretty low on the things I would ding them for, but it's just a silly idea when they have more than enough online sources for their news and could have easily published this shit to begin with there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:59 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Enjoy your subscription to mmochampion.com + some fat chicks in Naga costumes monthy.

Can't believe you, of all people, jumped on the bandwagon of, "He disagrees with something negative someone said about WoW, he must be a fanboi!!!" But don't worry, I will enjoy my non-existent subscription of this magazine along with the cereal that I will definitely buy once it comes out. The latter better taste good with the WoW soda I never bought. *rolls eyes*

Whether the magazine will work or not, I don't really care about nor is it part of my argument. I still don't understand how releasing a magazine, or any other merchandise related to a popular franchise is hitting a new low (or how is it a new anything...). Also, if I wanted to discuss, either in defense or in support, of the "How much this game sucks" argument, I would have done it in whatever other thread is currently covering that. =P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:06 PM 

I don't jump on bandwagons, I drive them.

Get on or get the fuck out the way.

Or in other words, see other post. I don't give two shits about the whole he must be a fanboy thing or how people perceive it as.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:12 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Well, you came second on this thread, may want to check the speed of your bandwagon. ;)

Edit: Oh, don't you go editing your post after I post. =P
You did respond to my post, and directed your response at me, or so it read as.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:24 PM 

Your whole fanboy argument is stupid and laughable. I love how you and bovinity throw your hands in front of your faces in defense and cry that somebody calls you a fanboy because they disagree.

There, I can pull stupid shit accusations out of my ass too.

The whole thing you quoted me saying has shit all to do with that.

If you need somebody to b-b-b-break it down for you about the whole magazine and why its just another tool in their current crusade to expand into other formats then fine.

This will be nothing more than a shitty fluff mag designed to pull in easy advertisement revenue in an already failing medium *gaming mags* that will offer nothing but light toilet reading.

I guess if you stare at that explanation hard enough, you can see fanboy in it. I mean all the letters are present.

Edit:

Quarterly? $40a year? Hahahaha. Future publishing letting something out without advertisement will last all of 2 issues.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:09 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Oh, come on, you aren't a stupid guy. =P

Nowhere in any of my posts am I wondering about the worth of the magazine, in fact, I didn't touch the topic anywhere. The only thing I found silly was the response from Larreth. Stating that releasing a piece of merchandising of a popular franchise is a "new low", is just pretty darn silly thing to say. But gee, how many more times do I need to write this out before it is understood!

Thanks for breaking down your thoughts on the of the magazine though, I would have agreed with you even if you hadn't. That is, if I had actually been discussing that topic, but I wasn't. ;)

Also, it doesn't bug me if you or Larreth hinted at fanboyism, I just find it silly if you did so based on what I wrote. And unless I'm misreading your response, saying, "Hope you enjoy your X product and the X content that will come with it." does read a bit funny. But you didn't need me to tell you that. Anyway, hey, if you insist you didn't mean anything by it, fine! I'll believe you!

Better? Feeling more calm? Body pressure back to normal?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:14 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Your whole fanboy argument is stupid and laughable. I love how you and bovinity throw your hands in front of your faces in defense and cry that somebody calls you a fanboy because they disagree.

There, I can pull stupid shit accusations out of my ass too.

The whole thing you quoted me saying has shit all to do with that.

If you need somebody to b-b-b-break it down for you about the whole magazine and why its just another tool in their current crusade to expand into other formats then fine.

This will be nothing more than a shitty fluff mag designed to pull in easy advertisement revenue in an already failing medium *gaming mags* that will offer nothing but light toilet reading.

I guess if you stare at that explanation hard enough, you can see fanboy in it. I mean all the letters are present.

Edit:

Quarterly? $40a year? Hahahaha. Future publishing letting something out without advertisement will last all of 2 issues.

No shit with regards to Future. I think the only thing left I can read on the can anymore without my mouth starting to shit as well is MaximumPC. God print is so dead. Sucks that PC Gamer died with the Vede.

PS - oh, and with the death PCXL. Shit magazine that I loved regardless for some reason. Maybe it was the skanktastic Killcreek issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:30 PM 

Gosthok wrote:
Oh, come on, you aren't a stupid guy. =P

Nowhere in any of my posts am I wondering about the worth of the magazine, in fact, I didn't touch the topic anywhere. The only thing I found silly was the response from Larreth. Stating that releasing a piece of merchandising of a popular franchise is a "new low", is just pretty darn silly thing to say. But gee, how many more times do I need to write this out before it is understood!

Thanks for breaking down your thoughts on the of the magazine though, I would have agreed with you even if you hadn't. That is, if I had actually been discussing that topic, but I wasn't. ;)

Also, it doesn't bug me if you or Larreth hinted at fanboyism, I just find it silly if you did so based on what I wrote. And unless I'm misreading your response, saying, "Hope you enjoy your X product and the X content that will come with it." does read a bit funny. But you didn't need me to tell you that. Anyway, hey, if you insist you didn't mean anything by it, fine! I'll believe you!

Better? Feeling more calm? Body pressure back to normal?

Jesus fucking christ, fine. I'll edit the post because you somehow think I was focusing on you with the Eye of Sauron because you are happy with WoW.

Quote:
Enjoy your, but I mean "your" not in a sense of you, and by you I mean Gosthok, subscription to mmochampion.com + some fat chicks in Naga costumes monthly, but its actually a quarterly thing so four times a year.

There, is your E-Bushido satisfied?

Quote:
No shit with regards to Future. I think the only thing left I can read on the can anymore without my mouth starting to shit as well is MaximumPC. God print is so dead. Sucks that PC Gamer died with the Vede.

PS - oh, and with the death PCXL. Shit magazine that I loved regardless for some reason. Maybe it was the skanktastic Killcreek issue.

I used to read Computer Shopper on the shitter. Back when they weighed 20 pounds.

This wow mag will come smelling like douche and Redbook.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:08 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Well, it really depends on how they approach it. If it's your typical Nintendo Power money grab, it's going to suck balls. The days of selling magazines for the information they provide is over. The Internet has killed that, because the very hour someone gets the magazine, any exclusive information found inside will be on a website.

They probably need to expand beyond the scope of WoW and make it a Blizzard magazine. You can provide sneak peak info shit, but you need an incentive for people to purchase them. I can see it doubling as a Blizzard product catalog, glossy art inserts, codes for in-game items and maybe even discount codes/coupons for their swag.

I'm kinda disappointed with WoW in its current incarnation, but I'm probably going to buy and play the next expansion for a couple months at least. Unless something else comes along that catches me, though there is FUCK ALL on the radar.

Blizzard is sitting at a peak in the current MMO paradigm and depending on which facet of their ruby quartz they look through they could either go the way of EQ or they could break the mold and enter a new field of entertainment delivery.

I'm optimistic and cynical at the same time. It kinda feels like apathy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:01 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Gosthok is correct-- it's retarded to call this a "new low" when it is nothing new and certainly doesn't make the game worse. Then someone called him a fanboi. More retarded.

I have no idea why Givin got all butthurt, but what can you do?

I'm glad I'm not playing WoW anymore though, heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:39 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

After watching a bit of Blizzcon and the nerd rage going on, I wanted to cancel my WoW and throw away my laptop.

I still play with old friends, but pug a couple raids and join a random vent, and it makes you feel old. It's not even Givin funny, but just immature crap. I still play with MW and old friends. That and free conquest mark Tier 8 loots ! Although once I'm geared up and don't want to run long raids, I'll be bored again. I classify myself as a computer geek, 2.314 steps cooler than a computer nerd. Still a closet WoW player.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:53 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

The 'souvenir' BlizzCon program was very nice, beautiful glossy pictures of cool art among other decently informative stuff, I'd expect their magazine to be similar and I could see the draw for such a thing though I don't think magazine is quite how I'd describe it.

What I don't quite get is that for a group of people that loathe the game as much as they claim to, everyone sure spends an awful lot of time starting threads and generally ranting about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:54 PM 
Spider Slayer

Ya stop posting all these threads guys. What is it, like three this month? Need to calm the fuck down with the threads.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:02 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
Elessar wrote:
Sucks that PC Gamer died with the Vede.

So true.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:17 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Putting out this magazine is kind of stupid, but it's not like they're making you buy it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:24 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
Over/under on how many issues until they put pet keycodes in the magazine?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:46 AM 

Kaedian wrote:
Over/under on how many issues until they put pet keycodes in the magazine?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:33 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Exclusive pet only available if you get the first issue! It's a bookworm!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:15 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Or a book as a flying mount!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:06 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
You guys are sad to think wow raids are long, I consider them nice and short compared to the grinds we used to do on lanys.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:12 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

The first issue is going to answer the question of whether Night Elf carpets match Night Elf drapes. I'm in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:38 PM 

I think it's mostly that raids just feel longer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:32 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I agree with Jox. Mentally I know they're much shorter, but I guess I've just become too jaded. Raids feel anticlimactic to me, and I end up wishing I was somewhere else, until eventually I stop clicking WoW.exe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:47 AM 

Well I'll answer the question honestly, based on experiences across 5 servers and a very diverse group of people not made up from one specific collective.

A good 90% of the people I raided with I disliked as players as well as people. They were terrible or very lackluster at the game in their given role and it felt more like you brought them on board to plug up a hole rather than fill a critical role. While I'm sure they liked me about as much in return, at least skill was never a questionable factor.

The "I" mentality. After reading that first paragraph, if you did not know or have gamed with me I bet almost every one of you would say I fit that description. Answer truthfully. Serious question. Answer, farthest thing from the truth. The reason is, as is the same from probably everybody left that posts on these forums, even faggots like Skycrasher, is that they are from a different gaming era. Back in EQ, it was about the goal, the progression, the carrot, rather than the individual. And even if it was getting something for a specific individual, that became the goal. If that makes sense.

The entire server often came together to help with epics. This happened just as often if not more than people fucking each other out of said epics. Raiding, maybe not so much on the level I participated at, but I am sure people have as many stories of people working together as I have stories of smashing Visions/Sigil face.

Unrealistic expectations. Coming from an older generation, we expect people to play the same way as we do. Hard truth, most people don't or will refuse outright to commit to that kind of dedication anymore. It is harder to run a tight ship when there is little to no loyalty, or even cause for it anymore. If you don't like how shit is run in Guild A, odds are there are a metric fuckon of guilds on your server that will take you with open arms if you are worth your salt. On the flip side, you can not expect to walk into a guild and be decked out immediately. You should not expect to simply be a purple vacuum and be rewarded just because you avoided standing in the fire once. Being the new guy doesn't exclude you from doing research on what needs to be done in raids, or being prepared for them beforehand.

On raiding? No, I do not think they are longer. They feel longer to us based on much what I have already said. The Faggot Factor pretty much. Even Stockades can feel like hell on earth with a shitbad group. And now, since everybody is on this whole Gear Level check bullshit, expectations for heroics are off the charts bad. What the fuck is a fresh 80 supposed to do. I'm not talking about someone who just dinged 80, lets say someone who has hit 80 and put some effort into getting reasonable pre heroic gear while being a skilled player. He's going to be sitting out holding his dick even though he can perform.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:11 PM 

sounds like you spend too much time raiding with complete strangers, some of which are okay people, but on the most part are complete jack ass's

if your guild is not big enough to field even 25 man raids, then you need to recruit some more people instead of filling the slots with who knows who

even back in everquest the only raids I remember doing as pugs were noob runs in poh or some such thing in the early days of the server

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:30 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Quote:
On raiding? No, I do not think they are longer. They feel longer to us based on much what I have already said. The Faggot Factor pretty much. Even Stockades can feel like hell on earth with a shitbad group. And now, since everybody is on this whole Gear Level check bullshit, expectations for heroics are off the charts bad. What the fuck is a fresh 80 supposed to do. I'm not talking about someone who just dinged 80, lets say someone who has hit 80 and put some effort into getting reasonable pre heroic gear while being a skilled player. He's going to be sitting out holding his dick even though he can perform.

While I've not had to deal with this myself, I've seen it in action in the Lfg/trade/spam channel where they are checking armory and gear scores for people trying to run a damn heroic. Unless you've got friends or a guild waiting for you when you start out, the game has become a very harsh place for someone starting at lvl 1.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:20 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

54 bucks a year for 4 issues.

roflhaha

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:40 AM 

I was going to order it for the hell of it till I seen the price.

12 issues it would still be higher than the average mag, but just for 4?

If it hits a newstand, does this mean it is going to sell for $15 or more?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:24 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

If I recall, it's not going to be sold on the newsstands.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:53 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I doubt it would be 'sold' even if it was available on newsstands.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:07 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

The people who spend upwards of $1,000 on rare mounts say otherwise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:43 PM 

Yeah. There are a lot of those people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:22 PM 

Fucking fanboys.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:58 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

That is pretty sad, yeah. So you now know that they're going to have all kinds of incentives in them now. Unless Blizzard just decided to just drop all pretenses and openly exploit their damaged, rabid core.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:21 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
Why the hell did you all leave EQ, you would have been happier there.

...except for Gos

Offline Profile