It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:26 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:22 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

I decided to go crazy and play two accounts but am not sure the best way to do this.

I spent a few days trying to play 2 pcs at the same time, between the 2 keyboards and 2 mice its much more complicated to try and take down boss mobs where you need to cast spells from both players fairly quickly.

Today I tried 2 instances of wow running on my main gaming pc in window mode. The machine seemed to handle two windows in a reduced configuration in dal with no apparant lag or poor pc performance. I am not happy about playing in this type of configuration with the smaller screen size, as I am used to playing in full size on my 22" wide monitor. Should I go with running in window mode with 2 monitors, or is there a different setup I am missing?

I like the idea of the window mode with one mouse and one keyboard, makes switching back and forth seemless.

I remember playing eq in window mode with a healer in tow to res, I mean heal my ranger in the times of need, and in eve-online I had no problem running two accounts the second mainly for logistics/mining/hauling and salvage, on eve though I used my older pc and a note book at the same time, but was not to bad as mostly in eve its just mouse action.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:38 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

One good computer is pretty ideal for it instead of multiple, unless you get into the realm of 5-boxing. I recommend using Autohotkey so you don't have to alt tab to the other screen for most functions. It's free, and requires a limited amount of programming knowledge to use. There is a program you can pay for called KeyClone that is pretty popular if you don't want to fool around with AutoHotkey. More info on this kind of stuff can be found at www.dual-boxing.com.

Early on, I used to have a lot of trouble with autofollow. I figured out that having Vertical Sync on helps a lot with this, and as far as I understand it limits the FPS number which is why autofollow breaks less easily for your second toon.

Personally, I use one instance of WoW in full screen mode, and my second instance is in windowed mode(make sure it's maximized and not minimized or you'll experience slowdown for the second character). Having two windows in windowed mode seems to cause framerate issues for me to a degree.

Hope this helps... 2boxing can be quite enjoyable with the right setup, and freshens the game up a bit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:28 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I use to 2-box with my PC and laptop. Multiple laptops would be nice. Main issue would be 2 sets of mouse/keyboard at the same time.

Offline Profile