It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:15 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Let's see who gets closest. When do you think 3.2 with the new Argent Coliseum will actually come out?

I'll say November 24.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:30 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

When is the next Olympics?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:31 PM 

Ok, ok..

I'm having a hard time disputing your Nov 24th guess, tbh. I'm going to go with October 7th and pick a crazily optimistic date.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:44 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

where does all the money go! i think it might be like that mac v PC commercial where the PC sets aside 10 dollars for advertising for every dollar they spend on development.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:49 PM 

I'm also deeply skeptical about them using such weak lore as the basis for 3.2. Doesn't seem as interesting or exciting as pretty much any major content patch prior to this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:07 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
September, to stop the trickle that will be Champions Online and Aion.

The Blue actually having the nuts to tell somebody that they grossly overestimate the Blizzard time frame was comedy gold.

Blizzard time is the only unit of measure that can compete with Valve time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:15 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

If I were an artist, I'd love to make a cartoon of a dude at Blizzcon asking the Blizzard developers when the next content/expansion was coming out. The developer (who would be wearing a black Legacy of Steel t-shirt) would be handing the dude a copy of Duke Nukem Forever with a message saying "why don't you play this while you wait?"

I'm funny.

ps: Where's Woody when you need him?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:41 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Neesha beat me to DNF. I was gonna say 3drealms time competes with Blizzard time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:43 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
I like how people are comparing glacial development cycles (DNF) with slow development cycles (blizzard)

DNF was "in development" since at least 1996. I don't think blizzard has any projects related to WOW (or any of it's other properties) that compare. The hyperbole isn't even funny.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:46 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
Starcraft: Ghost comes to mind...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:01 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Why would they deviate from a formula that has worked so well?

If they take less time the quality would suffer, and most of you already complain about the quality so what exactly would be gained?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:14 AM 

Surely, after 4 years, they have become more adept at producing content, and it can be assumed they can put these things together more quickly after each one. That's just simply iterative development. It's not like they are reinventing the wheel every time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:28 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
starcraft ghost was in development for four years, and even then -- it wasn't blizzard doing the development.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:46 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Joxur hit the nail on the head. After 4 years they should be able to come out with content more rapidly. But really I have no place in this conversation as I have once again quit WoW due to boredom/annoyance with the typical players.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:13 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

11 million subscribers of big piles of money means they can hire lots of the best, and put out quality content.

$165M a month should afford them some ability to produce in a timely manner.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:55 PM 

No. For the most part, you can't substitute money for time spent on quality. Game design takes time, regardless of how much money you throw at it. The limitation is the speed of human imagination, not on making things happen. I have my share of criticisms about some of Blizzard's games and design choices, and I even think they could speed things up in certain areas. I don't doubt, however, that their decisions to hold to their own timetables to allow more ideas to spring forth and create more multi-faceted gameplay has helped them in the long run... and throwing money at that won't change anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:58 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

You're telling me that shitty version of Item Rack/Closet Gnome that they FINALLY came up with (which took an extra patch to get it right) took "time spent on quality"? What is "quality" about it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:02 PM 

I guess I was thinking more about building a game from scratch from my last post, for some reason I took a few comments as criticism for brand new development in general.

Still I'd maintain that money isn't going to ease too much when that's clearly not what's holding them back right now. What's holding them back from releasing more content is the obvious: Some inefficiencies in producing content, quality concerns, and resources devoted to SC2, D3, and the new MMO.

The problem is not whether their programmers are efficient or whether they've gotten "better" at producing new content. The problem is that they consistently try to reinvent the wheel, and use a fine-tooth comb over everything when it isn't needed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:06 PM 

Quote:
You're telling me that shitty version of Item Rack/Closet Gnome that they FINALLY came up with (which took an extra patch to get it right) took "time spent on quality"? What is "quality" about it?

Not at all. Their UI team has something to be desired. It's more than likely run by 3-man team in back room of the office somewhere, and is hardly indicative of any major content that's being released with a patch. That's not something indicative of the quality I'm talking about. If the Argent Coliseum is released(which is actually a big portion of the patch, as opposed to UI additions) and it turns out to be shit, then I'll concede there's a lack of quality. But under the consideration of Ulduar, which is IMO one of the better raid instances I've seen even in both expansions(I personally enjoyed BT on a similar level), I would say their level of quality continues to hold up at least in that regard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:35 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Not to be a Blizzard fan boy, but wouldn't it make more sense to complain about every single other game studio for not making something better than this "crappy no content" game?

If something is the best on the market, I feel compelled to give it some slack. While plenty of things annoy me about the game (like making arenas mandatory for top pvp gear with questionable class balancing), realistically there must be a reason no other company has made a better game. It must be harder than "just throw money at development" or microsoft would have the best MMO going.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:24 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Drajeck wrote:
Not to be a Blizzard fan boy, but wouldn't it make more sense to complain about every single other game studio for not making something better than this "crappy no content" game?

If something is the best on the market, I feel compelled to give it some slack. While plenty of things annoy me about the game (like making arenas mandatory for top pvp gear with questionable class balancing), realistically there must be a reason no other company has made a better game. It must be harder than "just throw money at development" or microsoft would have the best MMO going.

It's called prior art and appeal to the masses.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:33 AM 

Quote:
But under the consideration of Ulduar, which is IMO one of the better raid instances I've seen even in both expansions(I personally enjoyed BT on a similar level), I would say their level of quality continues to hold up at least in that regard.
Then again, if you got 2 years to work on a new dungeon, can't finish it in time for the expansion release, and have to develop no new actual technology (in the form of a graphics engine, class mechanics, etc.) and ONLY have to work on art, lore (hah!) and boss mechanics.. how could it NOT seem high quality? And shit, let's be honest about the boss encounters. They are completely different than they were during testing. The overall mechanics are the same, but the scaling has been completely re-tuned. I'm beginning to think that having dungeons on PTRs adds nothing of value. It only gives guilds the chance to go in and learn it. It's obviously doing nothing for them to get an idea of how to tune it for the masses.

As far as the 5-man dungeons are concerned, other than art, which is extremely high quality, Blizzard fucked the game up so much in patch 3.0 that they are significantly easier than all TBC dungeons. No CC required, even in blues in heroic instances. It's a complete joke.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:54 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
I'm beginning to think that having dungeons on PTRs adds nothing of value. It only gives guilds the chance to go in and learn it.

Yup. All PTR does is make sure everyone already knows how to do all the fights before its even live.

And lets be honest here guys...how much work did the Blizzard raid design team really have to put into Wrath up to now? Ulduar had damn well better be friggin awesome. (Which is basically what Jox just said, I guess.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:39 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

A side from all the bickering back and forth, we'll likely see 3.2 in all of its totally unoriginal glory around September...likely near the end of the month as Champions Online launches Sept 1st and Blizzard will do what they've always done when a new MMO is released...they'll throw players a pity fuck with "some" sort of content release.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:07 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

As if anyone is going to play City of Her...er.... Champions Online.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:51 PM 

It will get the initial curiosity nod, but that's it.

The only similarity between the two games is they both have super heroes in them. That and City of Heroes is actually a decent game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:39 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Quote:
With the release of the Secrets of Ulduar, the Argent Tournament opened its doors to heroes from all over Azeroth and saw champions arise from the ranks to take on the challenges before them to prove their worth. In the next upcoming content patch, Call of the Crusade, the Argent Tournament will be expanding its influence and players will be able to experience all-new dailies, rewards, and areas of interest.

Two New Quest Hubs
A new Cult of the Damned camp now sits overlooking the Tournament grounds and spying on the activity below.

Located on an island north of Icecrown, the former tuskarr village known as Hrothgar's Landing is a mist-shrouded staging point for Sea Vrykul raids upon the ships of the Silver Covenant and the Sunreavers in the waters between the island and Icecrown.

New Dailies and Rewards
Just when you thought you had seen and done it all, the Argent Tournament throws out the gauntlet once more and adds a new line of quests and rewards for players who have become exalted with either the Silver Covenant or the Sunreavers. Earn seals by participating in three additional random dailies and earn brand-new rewards.

* New Tabards: Alliance characters will be able to earn the Silver Covenant tabard and Horde characters will be able to earn the Sunreaver tabard currently seen being worn by NPCs on the grounds.
* New Mounts: New ground and flying mounts will be available for both Horde and Alliance. Alliance will be able to purchase the new Quel'dorei Steed and Silver Covenant Hippogryph. Horde will be able to purchase the new Sunreaver Hawkstrider and Sunreaver Dragonhawk.
* New Pet: A brand-new pet, the Shimmering Wyrmling, will be available to characters of both factions who distinguish themselves.

Argent Crusader Dailies and Rewards
A new line of dailies and rewards for players who have earned the title of Crusader will be available with two random seal-awarding dailies.

* New Heirlooms
* New Argent Crusade Banner
* New Argent Crusade Tabard: Ports you directly to the Tournament grounds.
* An Upgraded Squire: As any good squire should, this upgraded squire now has a mount.
* New Mount: A new Argent Crusade paladin-only charger will be available.

The Black Knight Returns
Just when you thought you had seen the last of the Black Knight, he makes his astonishing return to Tournament. Wait, didn’t you kill him?

So...there's your $15 a month at work. More dailies, more Heirloom items to level more useless alts, more mounts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:47 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I wonder how much the guys get paid that sit there and copy-paste last patch's stuff into the next patch and give it new names and numbers. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:49 PM 

I posted this on my guild forum about 3.2 about an hour ago, before I saw the announcement with the Black Knight bullshit.

Quote:
Previous point releases had new content with lore associated:

- Ooh Black Temple = Illidan, cool, I know about him he's in the RTS!
- Ooh Sunwell = Kil Jaeden, cool, I know about him!
- Vashj, Kael Thas = yay i saw vag in the RTS and Kil Jaeden is mentioned heavily in blood elf lore.

- Ulduar = Hey I've heard about titans the entire lifespan of WoW, and now I get a whole dungeon associated with them AND an old god, wow that's sweet!

- 3.2 = Hey they can put whatever the fuck they want into this patch. We could be fighting Giant Pokemon for all we know. I get to compete to be the champion that takes on Arthas? What the fuck do you think Naxx and Ulduar were all about, assholes..? If I can kill Yogg Saron don't you think the Black Knight 2.0 "now on roids" is kind of sad and pitiful in comparison?
I just cancelled my account. Screw this.

It took me less than a month after I turned 80 to start topping the DPS charts as a hunter. I've been the MT, a top healer and now a top dps. There is absolutely nothing to do in this game anymore. Eve Online here I come.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:29 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Yeah, every month they become more and more blatant about their laziness and lack of interest.

I mean, it was there in TBC too, but at least they did a good job obfuscating the fact.

I guess maybe the new instance might be hot shit. I dunno. Ulduar sure wasn't worth the wait (to me).

Honestly, the way content is just being recycled and rotated, I get the feeling they're not even all that worried about keeping customers but rather keeping a steady flow of new ones.

I dunno. Maybe I'm making the same, "WoW IS DEAD" posts that I usually mock.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:39 PM 

No need for anyone to say how much 3.2 will suck ass. It was fortold in legend eight years ago.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:36 AM 

The raiding can definitely be stale, no question about it, but I thought Ulduar was a significant step up from Naxx trash runs. That may not be saying much... but honestly, I think it's better than Sunwell, BT, and SSC/TK were. My only qualm is that they nerfed the non-hardmodes. Other than that, I really like the encounter designs. Some of the hardmodes seem quite interesting and unique as well. I know there are a lot of people that will forego even trying the the hardmodes for no other discernable reason I can think of other than the mob has the same graphic. Entire encounters are pretty much altered altogether... I just find it a bit presumptious to judge a book by its cover. Worse yet are the people that don't want to put in the time to maximize themselves, and yet summarily judge the encounters before really giving them a fair shot.

It's all well and understandable for individuals to be too bored of a game to give a flying shit, I *completely* understand that and have been through it many times in both EQ and WoW(hiatus's are necessary), but it's another thing altogether to judge them based on one's own being bored of a particular game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:24 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I'm trying to think of which hard modes actually alter the fight and which are just bigger numbers, speed runs or "Win despite doing a stupid thing" situations. (Which are the achievements I hate the most.)

Vezax is mostly different I suppose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:49 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
In addition to the total lack of creativity, I got burnt on the fact that each content patch made the previous raid zone obsolete. Naxx gear sucked compared to Uludar. I am sure that Uludar gear will be out once 3.2 hits.

There are TOO MANY people that are on the bleeding edge. It is sad if you are in a raiding guild and are not at least IN Uld25 (some would say that it is sad if you are not almost done with U25). Bliz has nerfed the encounters so much that you really don't need the gear from the previous raid zones to be effective in the new one.

So glad that I jumped off the hamster wheel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:59 AM 

Quote:
I just find it a bit presumptious to judge a book by its cover
What a stupid, ignorant statement. Everyone "judging" Ulduar has done the encounters and are speaking from firsthand experience.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:21 PM 

No need to rationalize it. Game is just boring. So was EQ after 4 years. Shit happens. There will be something else come along to take attention. Problem is just waiting for that day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:24 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
No need to rationalize it. Game is just boring. So was EQ after 4 years. Shit happens.

I dunno if it's just that, honestly. It was an EXTREMELY rapid decline for me post-WotLK.

At the end of TBC I was still really hopped up and excited about things, still having fun, etc etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:29 PM 

Quote:
What a stupid, ignorant statement. Everyone "judging" Ulduar has done the encounters and are speaking from firsthand experience.

If you read what I wrote, I'm talking about people who specifically have NOT given serious attempts at the hard modes. That may or may not apply to the people on this board, I have no idea, but there are still people out there that are doing it - I know a few from my own server and guild who judge it without attempting it, not to mention other boards. If the suggestion is that they're the same, I'd just generally have to disagree. I feel as if some serious thought was put into the hard modes. I'm sure you can numbercrunch it down to Bovinity's suggestion that it's "all the same" and just a numbers game, but isn't everything? I just personally find that doing them adds a decent amount of spice to the encounter, and on most of the hardmodes there are at least 3-4 new variables to consider.

I would be curious just how many people here have done Yogg with 1 helper, or even given the Algalon encounter some serious face time for that matter. While I'm not ready to dismiss Joxur's claim that everyone has done all the encounters, I am still curious, and will withhold judging that book by its cover =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:37 PM 

Can anyone translate that for me please?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:40 PM 

I think I can put it in caveman terms for you: Basically, you're stupid(and ignorant) for assuming that everyone in the world who is judging the Ulduar encounters has done all of the hardmodes and Algalon with firsthand experience.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:55 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I'll be honest: I didn't "try" all that hard in Ulduar.

Why? I came at WotLK full force. I mean, cleared Naxx 25 in November.

Then I sat there, twiddling my thumbs, and leveled 3 more chars to 80. Geared them up too.

Then STILL had time to sit around, twiddling my thumbs, counting achievements in Dalaran and wondering what I could EBay my account for.

Then Ulduar comes out. First week we couldn't even field 25 people, the interest was so low. Second week they got to Yogg. (I didn't go) It's not all that impressive.

At that point it's like...why? Why "try"? To spend another 5 months in Dalaran counting achievements and wondering how much I could sell my account for?

Hard modes? They're still mostly uninteresting. At least Sarth+3 was mostly a "different" encounter, and I wasn't even all that fond of that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:03 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

People don't have to do all of the hard modes and Algalon to know that Blizzard is taking the cheap approach on everything they do now. This started back when they rehashed Naxx and continues today (to the extreme). Perhaps they should just redo Molten Core and change the boss encounters.

Yes, SOME hard modes have more to them than "now kill him in 3 minutes for REALLY good loot!" but most are just more of the same thing with a little sugar on top. The game has gotten stupid, in my opinion. When a new vanity pet makes it into the "wait 'til you see what the next content will be!!!" conversation, it's pretty clear that Blizzard is starting to not give a fuck. The game will still be fun for millions of people. There will still be guilds that bust their asses to defeat all of the hard modes, but I think more and more people (like me) are just sick of it all by now. Maybe we just want what no game can deliver at this point. It's entirely possible that we have simply outgrown MMORPGs in their current form.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:39 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
it's pretty clear that Blizzard is starting to not give a fuck

Yep and there is no other MMO to force Blizzard "work" for once. Good reply Neesha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:21 PM 

I agree with everything neesha said, but this:
Quote:
It's entirely possible that we have simply outgrown MMORPGs in their current form.
I especially agree with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:21 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I tend to disagree with Neesha and Blizzard simply not caring; that's not good business sense. While their best and brightest may have since moved onto Blizzard's next big thing, do any of you really expect anything different? Perhaps the volume that everyone would like to see is not there and even the variety, but you can only reinvent the wheel so many times. However, I don't think Blizzard has compromised their penchant for quality one bit.

Like Givin said, the game is four years old, it's only going to be fresh and exciting so long. I definitely think there's a lot to look forward to with respect to their next kick at the can (and Starcraft II/Diablo III of course).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:34 AM 

Quote:
In the next major content patch, the construction of the Crusaders’ Coliseum on the Argent Tournament grounds will be complete, and it will hold new challenges for players. We’d like to share some details on the new dungeon, which represents the next tier of content for the game, but keep in mind that this is still in development and subject to change. The Crusaders’ Coliseum will include:

* New epic 10- and 25-player raid dungeon with five encounters, with each encounter being unlocked one week at a time
* A more intuitive structure for harder encounters. This raid dungeon will have four different versions: 10-player, 25-player, 10-player Heroic, and 25-player Heroic, with each one using a separate lockout.
* Introduction of the Crusaders’ Tribute! Each of the Heroic mode instances has a new tribute system that will limit players on the number of attempts they get in the Coliseum each week to present a greater challenge for the most battle-hardened heroes. Additional rewards can be earned depending on the number of attempts left in the tribute run each week when the final boss is defeated.
* New 5-player dungeon with three encounters that will include Champion’s Seals as each one is defeated
* New tier of armor and weapons that are modeled with Alliance- or Horde-specific themes
Blizzard math:

1 dungeon / set of art * 4 modes with incremental changes * crusader's tribute loot = a bajillion new encounters! Look at all the new content we just created!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:37 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
I tend to disagree with Neesha and Blizzard simply not caring; that's not good business sense.

Maybe it's not a matter of "not caring" so much as just not trying nearly as hard anymore.

Like others have said...when there's so much reuse of content and pets, mounts and dailies make it to the top of, "zomg look what's coming!" lists, something is clearly wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:37 AM 

If you read my last re-post of how the new dungeon will work, you can probably figure out what Blizzard has in mind.

5 bosses.
4 modes (10 man normal, 10 man hard, 25 man normal, 25 man hard)
additional loot based on # of attempts

So what does this mean? Well, they already admitted new tier loot would be available. Does anyone see tiered loot dropping from normal 25/10 dungeons? Of course not - the first boss is guaranteed to be a complete cakewalk, and tiered loot doesn't drop from cakewalks. Maybe the last boss will drop gloves, heh.

Tiered loot will only drop from the harder versions of 10/25 modes. So, instead of Naxx or Ulduar where you have twice as many bosses, you will literally need to re-do a given boss in order to get your tiered loot.

This is the least bang for your buck from a point release. Maybe Naxx competes since it wasn't new content.

Tier 4: 3 dungeons - A dozen bosses between Kara, Gruul and Mag.
Tier 5: 2 dungeons - A dozen bosses - TK, SSC.
Tier 6: 3 dungeons - more than a dozen bosses - Hyjal, BT and then Sunwell as an incremental upgrade.
Tier 7: 1 dungeon - Naxx, around a dozen bosses.
Tier 8: 1 dungeon - Ulduar, brand new dungeon with around a dozen bosses.
Tier 9: 1 dungeon - Arena dungeon, 5 bosses.

You'd suppose that over time they would get better at releasing content faster. Not only is it not all that fast, but they're producing significantly less, and the trend is slowing down, not speeding up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:48 AM 

Don't forget timed unlocks for bosses.

And Jesus wept.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:54 AM 

Here's the breakdown.

T4: 14 bosses.
T5: 11 bosses.
T6+: 20 new bosses.

T7: No "new" bosses.
T8: 14 bosses.
T9: 5 bosses.

So, by the 2nd point release for each expansion.
TBC: 45 bosses never seen before (39 if you don't count sunwell).
WOTLK: 19 bosses never seen before. (35 if you count Naxx)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:22 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
So, by the 2nd point release for each expansion.
TBC: 45 bosses never seen before (39 if you don't count sunwell).
WOTLK: 19 bosses never seen before. (35 if you count Naxx)

BUT!!! You're forgetting hard modes!

See, TBC would have had like 195 "bosses" if you did everything WotLK style. (ie. Kill Archimonde without anyone in the raid using Tears. Kill Illidan after killing 25 Parasitic Shadowfiends. Kill Netherspite without anyone in the raid being afflicted by Nether Exhaustion. Kill Attumen in 1 minute.)

Woot, I'm a Blizzard encounter designer!!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:19 PM 

You took Venen's jerb!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:28 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

AH TUK YER JERRRRRRRRRRB!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:41 AM 

Quote:
People don't have to do all of the hard modes and Algalon to know that Blizzard is taking the cheap approach on everything they do now. This started back when they rehashed Naxx and continues today (to the extreme). Perhaps they should just redo Molten Core and change the boss encounters.

Yes, SOME hard modes have more to them than "now kill him in 3 minutes for REALLY good loot!" but most are just more of the same thing with a little sugar on top. The game has gotten stupid, in my opinion. When a new vanity pet makes it into the "wait 'til you see what the next content will be!!!" conversation, it's pretty clear that Blizzard is starting to not give a fuck. The game will still be fun for millions of people. There will still be guilds that bust their asses to defeat all of the hard modes, but I think more and more people (like me) are just sick of it all by now. Maybe we just want what no game can deliver at this point. It's entirely possible that we have simply outgrown MMORPGs in their current form.

Well, I agree they're going with a rather cost/time-effective strategy here, but my question was more whether it was still somewhat quality content as opposed to simply thrown together without any thought. To determine that, I really do think one would need to experience at least a decent chunk of the hardmodes, rather than to unaninmously dismiss them because they use the same boss graphic.

But really, in principle, what is different from your average boss encounter? I'd contend at least 80 percent of the time, it's little tweaks here and there with a different boss graphic. That sounds like a description for a hardmode as well. Sure, some of the same mechanics are at play, but the mechanics that DO differ often offer the same amount if not occasionally more of difference than from boss to boss. What changed from Lucifron to Magmadar? Instead of a curse, he feared people and casted fires to avoid on the ground. What changed in BWL? Similar mechanical differences.. and OH, more enrage timers for REALLY good loot!

I think that needs to be what is asked when comparisons are drawn here. The Archimonde examples would need to include something different to be an accurate comparison. You cannot use any tears, which ALSO means Archimonde casts X and X abilities and changes the encounter. For the most part - not always - that's what these hardmodes entail. Even something simple like leaving the cats up for cat lady means you'll have more going on throughout the encounter, but that's the closest I can think of which doesn't really require mechanical changes.

Something like Hodir with the timer means you need to utilize every light buff on the ground to pull it off, where otherwise a gimp guild might ignore those altogether. The fact that you have to use those is what changes it, in my view.

I understand where some of the complaining is coming from, but I think the basis for it is more rooted in the fact that the game has lost its luster like Argrax said, rather than too many specific things that Blizz is doing wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:51 AM 
Spider Slayer

If 80% of the time it's little tweaks that separate encounters that just argues more towards homogenization and the resulting boredom, doesn't it? Your point isn't very clear. o.o

That's also a pretty small population you deem worthy to judge the creativity between non-hard/hard modes if it's 25-man only. Otherwise, I think lots of raiding guilds have experience with hard modes. Most have at least one group going through 10-man hard modes which are substantially easier than 25-mans, and they don't differ from their 25-man counterparts, mechanics-wise, as far as I know.

Above all, it doesn't really *feel* different, and that's what matters most to people. You just do it the hard way and the boss poops out more loot. It's been said before, it's nothing more than an artificial cockblock for the devs to wave around as a shield when their new raid instance gets cleared in a week.

I'd rather see them do something with Gilneas, Grim Batol, The Maelstrom, Azshara Crater, Uldum, Hyjal (non-CoT), the Dark Riders/Scythe of Elune, Alleria/Turaylon, Deathwing, The Emerald Dream, and all the other lore they left unfinished, than a shitty arena in Icecrown.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:26 AM 

Quote:
If 80% of the time it's little tweaks that separate encounters that just argues more towards homogenization and the resulting boredom, doesn't it? Your point isn't very clear. o.o

No, the suggestion is that it's been that way all along, and people generally didn't have a problem with it. Now that it's called hard mode with the same boss graphic, suddenly that's different.

Quote:
That's also a pretty small population you deem worthy to judge the creativity between non-hard/hard modes if it's 25-man only. Otherwise, I think lots of raiding guilds have experience with hard modes. Most have at least one group going through 10-man hard modes which are substantially easier than 25-mans, and they don't differ from their 25-man counterparts, mechanics-wise, as far as I know.

I would give credit to someone who felt they experienced it by completing something like 50-70 percent of the hardmodes. That's an adequate amount of experience for them to suggest that it's bad or that the encounters are all the same, though I'd differ on the latter point personally.

I would argue that 25-mans are still more difficult, at the very least I know I have much more difficulty with them with my guild than I ever do 10-mans. With 10-mans, you can pick and choose your elite "5k+ dps-only" crew and mow through it. 25-mans requires more coordination and MOST guilds can't be quite as selective about who they choose unless they're on a recruiting roll. It's the little things like having more tentacles and guardians for Yogg and much more hp for the mobs(and brain) overall that make it harder with the aforementioned in mind. Mechanics-wise the addition of those additional mobs(and hitpoints), in my mind at least, adds more than the sum of their parts.

Quote:
Above all, it doesn't really *feel* different, and that's what matters most to people. You just do it the hard way and the boss poops out more loot. It's been said before, it's nothing more than an artificial cockblock for the devs to wave around as a shield when their new raid instance gets cleared in a week.

That sort of goes back to my original point about what constitutes a new boss mob. I think it goes without saying that "feel" is pretty abstract and subjective. I understand it's important, and I know what you're getting at, but I can't say I'm convinced that this is something more than just the fact that most people are burning out on the game in general.

Just because Blizzard has taken shortcuts doesn't necessarily mean the content is completely bogus.

Quote:
I'd rather see them do something with Gilneas, Grim Batol, The Maelstrom, Azshara Crater, Uldum, Hyjal (non-CoT), the Dark Riders/Scythe of Elune, Alleria/Turaylon, Deathwing, The Emerald Dream, and all the other lore they left unfinished, than a shitty arena in Icecrown.

This I can agree with, I'm just not sure how feasible it is with their developers working on all those different projects =(

I would gladly take new instances with new themes any day of the week as opposed to the hardmodes if that were the option here, all I'm saying is that I don't feel the cheap way out for Blizzard here is necessarily absolute crap as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:27 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
No, the suggestion is that it's been that way all along, and people generally didn't have a problem with it. Now that it's called hard mode with the same boss graphic, suddenly that's different.

Yes, it is different.

Lets take Karazhan. Remove Attumen, Maiden, Opera, Shade, Illhoof, and Nightbane.

In there place are the following achievements:

- Kill Moroes while all 4 of his guests are alive.
- Kill Netherspite without anyone in the raid being afflicted by Nether Exhaustion.
- Kill Curator without anyone doing damage during the Evocation phase.
- Kill Prince Malchezzar after all 10 raid members have been struck by Shadow Nova.

(No, I didn't put a lot of thought into those.)

Is that the same? Gut half of the instance just because we slapped some achievements in, weee! Of course not. And it's not just graphics and tweaks either, it steals from a lot of the experience. Not to mention less bosses and this less overall loot for everyone that wasted time goofing off with those "hard modes".

And yes, the "feel" is important too. A lot of hard modes just feel like time trials or "Do something stupid and get rewarded!" exercizes.

So yeah, this whole Coliseum thing is a joke. 5 bosses and a HOT HOT looking bare room. Sweeeet. What the hell has Blizzards raid team been up to since Sunwell, anyway? Did they all get reassigned to the fucking Pokemon department, designing new vanity pets and mounts?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:20 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:
So yeah, this whole Coliseum thing is a joke. 5 bosses and a HOT HOT looking bare room. Sweeeet. What the hell has Blizzards raid team been up to since Sunwell, anyway? Did they all get reassigned to the fucking Pokemon department, designing new vanity pets and mounts?

Blizzard is working on their next gen MMO. Maybe that is where their focus is right now. WoW is 5+ years old, if they lose half their user base, Blizzard will still have 5+ million people in the game. I think they will be happy with those numbers if it happens. And, I bet 90% of the WoW userbase will jump ship to their new MMO game. So, its a win win for Blizzard no? lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:26 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Blizzard is working on their next gen MMO. Maybe that is where their focus is right now. WoW is 5+ years old, if they lose half their user base, Blizzard will still have 5+ million people in the game. I think they will be happy with those numbers if it happens. And, I bet 90% of the WoW userbase will jump ship to their new MMO game. So, its a win win for Blizzard no? lol

I don't think anyone was debating a loss of profitability for WoW, or WoW "dying", or anything else.

But yeah, you made a point. It's off in left field and really isn't on the topic, but you made one!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:30 AM 

Quote:
Blizzard is working on their next gen MMO. Maybe that is where their focus is right now. WoW is 5+ years old, if they lose half their user base, Blizzard will still have 5+ million people in the game.
The problem with this idea is that the new mmo isn't even announced yet.

Diablo 2 and Starcraft 3 don't have published release dates and it's been years since SC2 was announced. This despite the fact that - let's be honest - almost nothing new or "hard" is being introduced.

With the investment you have to put into a new mmo, Blizzard is a *long* ways from releasing it.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Moderator: Solanthious Go to page 1, 2  Next