It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:13 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Isle of Conquest preview
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:45 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Seems to really go for the vehicle fighting concept. I hadn't realized that stuff was as a big of a hit as Blizzard apparently does. Every vehicle fight I've done has felt like a mini game, and Flame Leviathan fight is more or less just rolling around randomly shooting whatever comes near - 0 difficulty.

I think I'd rather see a no-vehicle BG that pits 40 against each other.

Quote:
An island somewhere off the shores of Northrend. A rock, hardly worth a second look. But as insignificant as it may seem, this is no ordinary place. A sound of thunder as waves crash endlessly against rocky cliffs; a sound of fury as swords clash on the blood-stained fields of this island on the edge of forever.

Welcome to the Isle of Conquest.

The ongoing struggle between Horde and Alliance has turned many once peaceful (and some not-so peaceful) places into theaters of constant war. The Isle of Conquest is the latest such place, set to be the location of a battle of epic proportions over the island's precious resources.

An Alliance and a Horde general are fighting for dominance, overseeing the action from the safety of their keeps. Whichever side manages to eliminate the enemy general first will triumph on the island; failure to protect your leader will bring shame, dishonor, and defeat. There is no peace accord here, and it’s an all-out war between the factions.

Once More into the breach...

Isle of Conquest, a new battleground scheduled to make its debut in the upcoming content patch, Call of the Crusade, will pitch teams of up to 40 players against each other in a massive battle over this small island off Northrend's northern coast. To win, your team will need to make use of the island's unique strategic locations including an oil derrick, a siege workshop, and a fully equipped airship hangar. You will deploy devastating siege weaponry on the field; Light have mercy on anyone caught between you and your ultimate target, the general holed up in the enemy keep.

There are five points of interest on the Isle of Conquest for the factions to battle over. Each one offers its own benefits and strategic value. Which one will you claim for your side, and will it be enough to ensure victory?

Capture Locations

Consider your options before storming out of your keep to confront the enemy head-on. Spread throughout the Isle of Conquest are several capturable locations (as seen on the map), each granting a unique strategic advantage to your team.

The Oil Derrick: Located on the northwestern end of the island, this smudge in the Frozen Sea produces enough black gold to run a thousand siege engines. Taking this resource garners precious reinforcements and a continuous flow of honor to the side that controls it.

The Cobalt Mine: This snow-covered assembly, located on the southeastern end of the island, hides untapped supplies that must be harvested. Taking this resource grants reinforcements and a continuous flow of honor to the side that controls it.

The Docks: The western shore's docks will further expand your selection of siege weapons with the devastating new Glaive Thrower and the Catapult. Unleash the destruction of the Glaive Thrower upon the walls of the keep, or launch your invading party over the walls to assault the keep from within.

The Airship Hangar: This sturdy steel structure stands on the peak of Mt. Conquest overlooking the eastern side of the island, allowing players to board the airship docked there. This devastating weapon of war is capable of raining death upon the heads of your enemies and destroying enemy defenses. Once onboard the airship, players will find it comes equipped with parachutes enabling a strike team to drop into the enemy keep from above.

The Siege Workshop: Situated right between the Alliance base and the Horde base, this siege workshop occupies a strategic hot spot. Seizing it grants the controlling party the ability to utilize an arsenal of siege vehicles perfectly suited to reducing the enemy keep’s walls to dust and ashes.

Graveyards: There are five graveyards in the Isle of Conquest that are attached to different points of interest on the map: the Horde base, the Alliance base, an oil spill island in the center of the map (attached to the siege workshop), the northeast corner (attached to the airship hangar), and the southwest corner (attached to the docks).

Main Objectives

The Keeps: The Horde and Alliance keeps sit at opposite ends of the island. These citadels host four easily accessible defensive cannons set on the ramparts, capable of unleashing hot fury onto oncoming attackers. Additional explosives sit safely stowed in the base of the keep along the back wall. At least, they’re safe as long as they don’t fall into enemy hands. If they do, though, they can be employed to bring the stone walls down from within.

The General: Holed up behind the keeps' massive walls, the generals command their forces from a position of relative safety. Should the keep fall and the general be slain, the Isle of Conquest will fall to the victor.

Reinforcements: Isle of Conquest uses a reinforcements system similar to that of Alterac Valley. The clock is ticking and every individual counts. If too many of your comrades fall to the enemy the battle will end in defeat. Killing enemy players will reduce their reinforcements by one for each kill, Once your faction’s reinforcements reach their limit, so too does your bid for control of the island and the wealth of resources you’ve fought so hard over.

An island somewhere off the shores of Northrend. A rock, hardly worth a second look. A test of strength. A chance to prove your might, to crush your enemies, to make a difference, a chance for endless glory and conquest.

Will you seize it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:14 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Quote:
Capture Locations

Consider your options before storming out of your keep to confront the enemy head-on. Spread throughout the Isle of Conquest are several capturable locations (as seen on the map), each granting a unique strategic advantage to your team.

They forgot the part where the Horde base will once again come equipped with exploitable backdoors and worthless archers. Why don't they just put the Horde relief hut right next to the Alliance general and save time? Oh and don't forget to give the Alliance a heavily defendable choke point right next to two respawns, and a metric fuckton of elite NPCs with crazy amount of health that get pulled every time because there is always the 1 idiot.

Glorious.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:52 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Glad I quit this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:06 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
I just don't get why THEY don't get that folks don't like this vehicle shit. Folks hated oculus because of it, dislike Flame Levi because of it....Wg because of it..Etc.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:08 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Actually, alot of people I talked to like the vehicle crap.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:25 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I don't mind the vehicle crap in theory, but I've found that in a number of instances, the sight lines are completely fubared and I can't see anything other than a giant blob of whatever the fuck it is I'm supposed to be riding.

It's also, for me, a case of "a little goes a long way."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:25 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
I didn't like wg, I didn't like oculus and I didn't like malygos -- I DID enjoy FL.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:52 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I hate all that shit, personally. I have gear, I want to use it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:58 PM 

Yeah. Not only do you have gears, but you also have class abilities that distinguish you from other players. All that goes out the tubes in vehicle fighting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:09 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Vanamar wrote:
I didn't like wg, I didn't like oculus and I didn't like malygos -- I DID enjoy FL.

Actually, yeah, I was cracking up with the dwarf sounding like scotty from star trek while I zoomed around on a chopper. I just don't like that they remove the class/gear factor when you hop into a vehicle.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:25 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
The gear factor is still there -- the vehicle's HP and DPS scale with your ilevel.

Honestly, it's a nice level playing field and can really show you who's bad and who's good since it removes overpowered classes from the equation.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:11 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

So Feral Druids put on their healing gear just to increase their iLevel. It's an all around dumb idea in my opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:16 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Let me correct myself. The idea is not a dumb idea, it's actually pretty brilliant. I just don't like doing it on raids.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:01 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I enjoy the vehicles for a change of pace, but I don't want to see too many things added with them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:48 AM 

I enjoy Flame Leviathan as well even though it's easy as shit even with towers up. I don't mind it much in PVE, it's a nice change of pace. I REALLY think they need to use moderation in PVP though. It's fucking stupid beyond belief to make every single piece of WOTLK pvp content include siege vehicles. They really can get old, and people don't have any new content to turn to for straight up character versus character pvp zones unless they go all the way back to Eye of the Storm.

It works somewhat well for something like Wintergrasp, but it should be a change of pace type of thing rather than the end-all be-all of pvp content in an entire expansion. Using them in coordination requires strategy, but piloting them is absolutely mindless with no skill involved.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:53 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I have to agree with:

Quote:
but piloting them is absolutely mindless with no skill involved.

much more than:

Quote:
Honestly, it's a nice level playing field and can really show you who's bad and who's good since it removes overpowered classes from the equation.

How could vehicles show who is good or bad?

Anyway, this sounds a lot like the fabled Alterac Valley revamp in the guise of a new BG.

Just a shame that Blizzard can't wrap their head around the concept of PvP without herding players to instances or "PvP allowed here" zones.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:57 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

What options are there besides full-on world pvp versus pvp limited to specific areas / venues? You've got wintergrasp, arena, battlegrounds, and the option to play on full PVP servers.

Outside of contested raid content, which Blizz has shied away from since the Emerald Dream Dragons (iirc), what options haven't they explored?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:38 PM 

The option they haven't explored is NOT re-inventing the wheel every time they make a new BG. Many people have been asking for the same concepts but different maps - WSG-style capture the flag, Arathi Basin, etc but on a brand-new map with a different layout style.

And any new map without goddamned siege vehicles is worth exploring too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:23 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
What options are there besides full-on world pvp versus pvp limited to specific areas / venues? You've got wintergrasp, arena, battlegrounds, and the option to play on full PVP servers.

Outside of contested raid content, which Blizz has shied away from since the Emerald Dream Dragons (iirc), what options haven't they explored?

Look at other PvP games where players fight over what they want to fight over, not whatever carrot the devs dangle in front of them.

WoW players have been tricked into thinking that you NEED PvP "systems" and PvP zones and shit to have PvP. All that does is detract from or prevent the real fun of PvP, the politics and personal investment and such and replaces it with just another PvE grind.

Real, personal interaction and such would make for PvP that would be much more engaging than Wintergrasp_Battle2362

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:48 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
Fun in FL = 4-6 manning heroic on a Monday night.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:51 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

No idea what you just tried to say. Anyway, here's a video:

http://www.walloftext.info/2009/06/worl ... h-new.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:27 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
Ya I said that poorly, I meant killing Flam Leviathan on Heroic with 4-6 people is fun on a Monday night :) We have been doing it with alts lately for kicks.

Offline Profile